Turbo Barre is a Masterpiece

Cosmo Mom

Cathlete
I can genuinely say that I said that out loud last night about 2/3 of the way into it. The moves are all so effective and different. You can really feel whatever muscle Cathe's targeting.

I knew I would really be interested in this workout because of the stretching, strengthening and overall burn I knew I would feel. I have to say not too sore yet (although couldnt complete every rep last night), but as I walk around the office, I feel a little ooh, aah all around my hips (especially upper area) and even my abs.

She throws those lunge-behinds and ab squeeze reps at'cha (like 12!!) then after.... the abs workout with the elbow down - is just amazing. At about the third rep, I was amazed at how much it killed!!...and she did 12 each side... I died at about 10.

I love the workout, I love the music, and I love the fact that Cathe isn't afraid to tackle any type of exercise program. She's done kickbox, yoga, barre and even spin. She makes it so you don't have to go anywhere else for variety. Love ya Cathe!! You can be so proud of your accomplishments in this series and every other one you've put out. THANK YOU!:D

OMG!! I cried UNCLE! Can you say butt cramps! I thought this one would be relatively easy! Boy was i wrong! I did this one this morning (yeah i got my power back yesterday) thinking i would ease into these workouts since i have not been able to do them for days. It is tough on the buttocks! I love it! As always Cathe is the master!!

Jen

I did this workout this week-end and loved it!

But oh my goodness, my calves! My calves were on fire from this workout...and yup they were tight the next two days.

Turbobarre is awesome! So far it is my favourite tied with Athletic Training.I LOVE this workout so much that I've done it 3 or 4 times already... I had my saddlebag area screaming for mercy the following days but I felt so well that I can't tell you!

I agree. I would absolutely love to see more Barre from Cathe. I had long regarded Barre workouts as "wimpy", so it was great to see they really are challenging. What a butt burner! It's a nice change-up from traditional strength training.

I have yet to tackle this gem :( My lower back has been a bit tender lately. From other barre workouts I have done I'm guessing this hits the lower back as well. For those who have done this one would that be an accurate assumption?

I agree!!! Loved this one :).

Regina

Regina, absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I saw your pic. I see you are an Iron Girl. I am too!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: Where do you participate at? I did mine, a sprint tri in Syracuse. Already signed up for next year!! :D

Liked It

This is a 74-minute workout and when I originally popped it in, I figured I do an hour, perhaps skipping the floor work or something. But honestly, the workout went very fast and I did the whole thing. The music is better than other DVDs in this set. The legs moves are challenging. I used a chair and had to stop and rest or pause during most sets. I'll definitely be working on endurance. The ab workout at the end is a bit on the short side, just 7 1/2 minutes, but I thought the moves were challenging and enjoyed it. The upper body workout is the only part that I wasn't thrilled with. It uses light weights and high reps, and although I felt it, I didn't feel as challenging as the rest of the workout. In fact, it almost felt like a throw-away to me. I could see skipping that in the future and just focusing on the rest.

Thank You Cheryl and Others! I enjoyed the pace of this workout too. I know high repetitions can sometimes feel like forever so I tried to make a lot of effective changes throughout the workout so you keep moving yet keep shocking the muscles too. I agree this is my favorite of all the soundtracks too. Btw, use 8 pounds for the upper body (possibly 10 pounds for some of the bicep work) and you will feel the upper body pretty well. :eek:

I can genuinely say that I said that out loud last night about 2/3 of the way into it. The moves are all so effective and different. You can really feel whatever muscle Cathe's targeting.

I knew I would really be interested in this workout because of the stretching, strengthening and overall burn I knew I would feel. I have to say not too sore yet (although couldnt complete every rep last night), but as I walk around the office, I feel a little ooh, aah all around my hips (especially upper area) and even my abs.

She throws those lunge-behinds and ab squeeze reps at'cha (like 12!!) then after.... the abs workout with the elbow down - is just amazing. At about the third rep, I was amazed at how much it killed!!...and she did 12 each side... I died at about 10.

I love the workout, I love the music, and I love the fact that Cathe isn't afraid to tackle any type of exercise program. She's done kickbox, yoga, barre and even spin. She makes it so you don't have to go anywhere else for variety. Love ya Cathe!! You can be so proud of your accomplishments in this series and every other one you've put out. THANK YOU!:D

Super

I think the entire LIS series is Cathe's Masterpiece.

I'm half way done with week two in November's Rotation and I'm thinking I need to do this rotation again.

I'm forced to really use my glutes and hamstrings and hold my chest high. No cheating with momentum.;) And, I'm breathing as if I've competed in a Triathlon ... with out any impact? I'm spent and used up when I'm done but my joints are happy. :cool:

Congratulations Cathe and Crew. Very well done. (but I did use some really bad words during Turbo Barre. It was Pain Max in my tush doing all those one legged pizza presses that went on forever! :eek: :eek::eek: While I'm thinking about it, the bar plies in the beginning were hard! I took ballet years and years ago and I forgot how hard it is to do the simplest moves. My back and hips are telling me I need more of that kind of intrinsic muscle work.

Can I ask for more Barre Type workouts Cathe? It's HARD! But I like it.

And the Yoga workouts are the "icing on the cake" after all the hard work. The direction and form pointers are easy to understand for a non yoga person like me. I feel calmer, taller, more "me' when I'm done. I look forward to the days I have yoga on the rotation. I know I'm in for a treat.

When I first read the cover for LIS I saw that some of the workouts are under an hour so I thought that LIS would be easy. Wrong. I've learned again and again that if one of Cathe's workouts is a "short" workout ... I'm going to be humbled. Again.:D

Thanks for this wonderful series.
Colleen in Minnesota

Ok! So you have me sold on this one! I wasn't going to buy it, thinking that it wouldn't give as good of a workout as say butts and guts. However, I am all for lifting my butt a bit higher! lol!

Butts and Guts is great but this workout is way diff. You'll be glad you added it to your library. It's really a goodie!

I have yet to tackle this gem :( My lower back has been a bit tender lately. From other barre workouts I have done I'm guessing this hits the lower back as well. For those who have done this one would that be an accurate assumption?

I have lower back issues, too, and could do this one with modifications. I didn't lift my leg as high if my back was complaining.

Thanks, Maynardsmom! It was August 27 :) It was such a blast! I did it with a group of women with whom I had also done the Tahoe Century ride in 2009 with Team in Training. Great, fun group of girls! The camaraderie aspect was probably one of the most rewarding parts of the entire training and race experience. We were there to cheer each other on and run each other in over the finish line! Reminds me a lot of the wonderful camaraderie and support I find here on the forums for Cathe!! I have read posts for over a year ( and just started posting myself this weekend) and I have just been amazed at the positive affirmations and support everyone shows each other. It's wonderful!

I love this video so much. I have a question, what is the music in the stretch portion? It is so beautiful, and it sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Gwynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.