$$$ to clean?

eminenz2

Cathlete
A couple of posts on the "Who does the cleaning" thread leads me to ask, if I can be so bold:

Can you share how much $$$ you spend to have a cleaning service come to your house, say, every other week?

DH and I were thinking about it, but wasn't sure of the cost and I said - "Aha! I know exactly who to ask!"

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

I had a service come twice before I fired them because I think that most services to a truly terrible job.:-( That being said, they charged me $75 and they came every other week. They did most of the house, although a few rooms were off limits.

I am really lucky. The lady who cleans my house (not affiliated with any service) is great. She cleans for $40/week. She used to come every other week and now comes every week. I don't regret it one bit. I doubt you'll find anyone that cheap. Actually, I should probably give her a raise :D

Catherine

http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=14665913&uid=7769645&members=1

http://69.89.25.157/~extremf4/forums/images/smilies/chinup.gif

Well, from the OTHER side of the coin....I clean for a friend of mine. She pays me $65 each visit, and I go each week. She's got 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 4 bedrooms, kitchen, 2 living rooms, dining room, and a finished basement with 3 rooms. Each week I do the kitchen, all the bathrooms and the main floor. On alternate weeks, I clean the bedroom level and then the following week the finished basement. Then we make arrangements for me to come in on a separate trip to do 'special projects' like the blinds, curtains, shampoo the carpets, etc.

Gayle

I have someone come in every other week for $55. I have a large living room, dining room, all hardwood floors, kitchen, 1.5 baths and one bedroom. We have 2 dogs though so she picks up a lot of dust bunnys! she also lets the dogs out when she gets here and right before she leaves so I don;t have to come home for lunch that day! When she does the hardwood floors with Murphy's Oil Soap I pay her extra.

Deb

We pay $60 for every other week, 3 br, 3 baths. However, my cleaner has been with me for over 10 years and I've always tipped her extra in cash, so I'm not sure what she would charge new clients.

Thanks for the input! I imagine cost has a lot to do with size of the house, the kind of floors you have, the numbers of BRs and bath, and how often you want things cleaned.

Watch out for Merry Maids though, they will not touch a dish, do a window or anything "extra". They also charge an arm and a leg-in my opinion. When we lived in SLC, I found a gal that ran her own cleaning service, she was incredible, even did my laundry!:)
She charged less than Merry Maids.
I found another service here in Vegas, they are just OK. But with my house, there is no way I could go it alone, all I would do is clean!They charge more in Vegas though. But anything over 75 dollars a week-for once a week cleaning, is too much unless you live in a huge house.

Wow... you guys are getting great deals!

I pay $130 every other week. Of course, my house is large, so maybe that's the difference. We have 4200 square feet, 4 full baths, one half bath and 5 bedrooms. All my floors are hardwood and tile. Cleaning this house is quite a chore!

A bit of a tangent, but what is the best hardwood floor cleaner you've found or used? I am still looking for that perfect one.

>A bit of a tangent, but what is the best hardwood floor
>cleaner you've found or used? I am still looking for that
>perfect one.

I read in Wall Stree Journal about a year ago that most 'professionals' use a mixture of vinegar and water. I tried it and the results were unbelievable. My wood floors had never looked so good. I swear by it now.

Pippa,

What parts vinegar and water do you use? I've been looking for a cleaner that won't streak my floors.

TIA

Jacque

I live in California in the Bay Area with a 2400 square foot house and our maids charge us $75.00 every other week. They do a decent job - surface clean of course, except for the bathrooms and kitchen - which are done pretty well. I would talk to friends who have cleaning services and ask for referals. There are good people out there, but remember you pay for 2/3 hours of cleaning. If they have to spend that time picking up after you, then your house is not as clean. If you house is clutter free, they have more time to spend on the actual cleaning.

I have been told to stay away from any commercial cleaners for hardwood floors. They end up leaving a residue that - if you ever want to have them professionally cleaned or redone - will make that process more costly. Vinegar and water . . . and whatever implement you use should be wrung out really well, not dripping.

Mo

Well...the vinegar to water ratio is a little fuzzy. I use a 16oz. spray bottle. So I would say about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons-2 tablespoons and the rest water(fill the bottle to the top). I usually spray an area and then use a dry mop to 'mop' the floor. IMPORTANT: you do NOT want to saturate the area. Just lightly mist and make sure the floor is dry before moving on. For tough spots, we have a dog and get spots from his nose, etc., I clean by hand. Spray the area, and wipe thoroughly with a rag...these are areas which usually require a little more elbow grease than a mop can give you. HTH

We love our cleaning service. We pay $90 for cleaning every other week, and she even does the laundry. It's just me and my DH so we don't really need her every week. We live in a 2-bdrm apartment.

I am off for the summer so I am doing the cleaning. When I am working, I have a man and his wife (not affiliated with a service) come about every three weeks and they charge $75. I find that they do SUCH a good job that cleaning in between visits is SO EASY! I live in Atlanta and have a five bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house (although, there is one room that I made into a huge closet that they don't have to clean). I have a formal dining room, living room, and family room that they clean as well. They dust everything, take everything off shelves to clean, vacuum under the furniture (they move it to get under it...I never do that), etc. They will make beds, fold laundry, etc. They are really great and I have four friends that now use them. I am really happy with them.

When I am working, it is so nice to come home to a clean house and not have to do it!!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.