THOSE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE PLEASE ANSWER

Ivy

Cathlete
If you are over 40 and have had the issue of having fat around your waistline, yet you were able to get rid of it, please tell me how? What type of workouts did you do? Did HIIT work better than steady state aerobics, running as compared to kickboxing, eating no carbs or did that even matter? Please tell me, I have been doing a combination of HIIt workouts twice a week and steady state the rest of the week, I lift fairly heavy 3 times a week. I am building muscle and I am getting really solid, but when I sit down the roll sitting around the sides of my waistline are killing me. For some reason I think it is also tied in with me getting older. I know you ladies do your research, and you have been there before, what worked for you? Help!!!

This getting older, i don't like so much.

Thanks

I have lost 25 pounds and have lost most of the fat around my waist. I would still like to lose about 8 pounds. I am 5'9' and weigh 143.

I had a roll around my middle as well and it used to generously :confused::D spill over the top of my jeans:(. Anyway, having lost the weight, it is now almost totally gone. How did I do it? I am going to say something that no one likes to hear>>>> I learned to be hungry, to live with hunger and say no to food. Not always of course...I ate one main, low-fat meal a day and then had yogurt or fruit or small salad at other times...but generally just tried to keep myself busy and ignore my roaring flesh that cried out for more food. Yes, I worked out as well...but the key was my eating...or lack thereof...

I was able to exercise the first 15 off...but the last 10 was just plain out HUNGRINESS. This whole process has taken about a year. But the first 15 came off in about 5 months...finally I got sick of the last 10 which is when I decided to get serious and be HUNGRY and not be so generous with myself.

BTW---I know it is sooo hard to lose it...I am 47 and the weight has been a battle. It does not come off like it did when I was in my 20's. It is sooo stubborn, like a leech.

Last edited:
My answer will be short and sweet: Yogurt and Low Impact or walking. Since I'm lactose intolerent and refuse to take meds for it, yogurt does it for me. Tea also helps too.

Well, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am finding that when you hit a certain age you may have to investigate other ways of keeping the stomach, waist and back area small and tight, or atleast not with a bunch of rolls on it. I will look into the suggestions I've been given, and thanks for sharing.

Hi Ivy,
I have less than 2 years to 40 - but am already finding fat at the waist to be an issue. When you are living with the "hungrys" do you feel less energetic on less food? Thanks!

What worked and is still working for me!

Ivy,

About 20 months ago I stop eating anything with wheat and gluten. I uped my protien and removed all sugar and processed carbs. I could not believe the difference!!
I am going to be 55 in a few months. My energy is way up and I'm sleeping better. But here's the really great PLUS. I can really put a lot of food away and never go hungry..never!!
I lift 3x a week as well as cardio 5x a week. Remove the bad stuff..sugar..anything that causes allergies..inflamation..bloating..HFCS..high sodium..
My weight has not changed over the last 20 months. I do not have a muffin top waist anymore!!! I enjoy tucking my tops in and belting again.

Ivy,

About 20 months ago I stop eating anything with wheat and gluten. I uped my protien and removed all sugar and processed carbs. I could not believe the difference!!
I am going to be 55 in a few months. My energy is way up and I'm sleeping better. But here's the really great PLUS. I can really put a lot of food away and never go hungry..never!!
I lift 3x a week as well as cardio 5x a week. Remove the bad stuff..sugar..anything that causes allergies..inflamation..bloating..HFCS..high sodium..
My weight has not changed over the last 20 months. I do not have a muffin top waist anymore!!! I enjoy tucking my tops in and belting again.

Fitatfifty: Just curious - did you get blood work done that showed you had celiac disease? Is that why you got off wheat & gluten?

Ivy,

Ivy

Dietwise:
This is the way to go. It's hard as my name is SugarJunkie on another forum so that just about sums it up.

Workoutwise:
I've been stepping for about 20 years, not a lot of success on the waistline although the legs of an athlete, but it was always the muffin top that was the issue. About a month ago I started with kickboxing DVDs wearing weighted gloves. I can't believe the difference. Still got a little way to go - I'm 52 - but you can see weekly results. BONUS the low impact kickboxing is a breeze by comparison with all that Hiit and Hi-Lo.

Way to go.

I have recieved some really good suggestions. I will consider all of them, and see what works for me. Thanks to all of you kind ladies for your suggestions. I do have a thing for oats, I like my oatmeal so I do not know if that would be a problem with the gluten free diet, I do not know that much about the gluten diet. I do know Elizabeth from the view has a book out on the subject, maybe I will pick up a copy.

Thanks.

I'll be turning 49 in February

Recently, my waist was a terrible thing to mind too. Working out 4-5 days a week seemed so much like a chore just to maintain the weight. I dreaded having to go up one size. That meant getting rid of most of the clothes in my closet which I absolutely refuse to do.

But now, after fine tuning my eating, I exercise 2-3 days a week; if I work out more than that my clothes get too loose & start falling off.

For me a one-size diet does not fit all types. What made the difference was personalizing my nutrition based on my own individuality:

http://www.4yourtype.com/_splash_BT_choose.asp

(Eat Right For Your Type :: Welcome to Personalized Nutrition)

No more bloated midsection & no calorie counting either.

Last edited:
Ivy,

I've doing this since May. I'm no longer hungry, no more food cravings, and the best part is....NO CALORIE counting!
I eat a ginormous bowl of veggies, handful of nuts, & protein for dinner and I walk away feeling stuffed with no nighttime hunger pangs.
I had to count calories and restrict like crazy when I was eating processed food everyday.

I'm 49 years old.

I'm 55 and have lost 70 pounds in the last year. I am post-menopausal and not on any HRT.

What worked for me:

Food-

No sugar or processed carbs.
Quality protein throughout the day.
High fiber foods (I get in close to 35 grams/day)
I only eat 1-2 starches/day.
I focus on Veggies, Fruit, whole grains (in my starches-also count potato, corn, and peas as starch) nuts, legumes and lean protein.

I keep a food journal and record workouts/calories burned (HRM)

Exercise:
I walk 3-4 miles 5 days/week
I've been doing dvd workouts (circuit, step, kickbox, weights) 5x/week

I didn't have a significant weight problem before my mid-forties. Changing to a sedentary job, parent / inlaw illnesses and deaths, and stress with maturing kids (high school-college: thank God they're in their mid-late twenties and relatively settled) contributed to my choosing to deal with stress by comforting myself with food. I've also seen a therapist and am learning some cognitive exercises to deal with stress and my dependancy on food.

Now my challenge is to not be in the majority of people who gain back their weight.

I have a waist and flat abs again..I really believe limiting sugar, processed carbs, and starches have been the key, for ME.

I also seem to get better results with core work (planks, etc) than more traditional moves (crunches). I'm so excited to start Cathe's low impact rotation as many of those workouts seem to be compound movements that engage the core.

Oh...I rarely, EVER, eat a meal out. I think maybe twice in the last six months; and it wasn't fast food, but quality restaurants.

Last edited:
I've doing this since May. I'm no longer hungry, no more food cravings, and the best part is....NO CALORIE counting!
I eat a ginormous bowl of veggies, handful of nuts, & protein for dinner and I walk away feeling stuffed with no nighttime hunger pangs.
I had to count calories and restrict like crazy when I was eating processed food everyday.

I'm 49 years old.

It's a great feeling isn't it? Enjoying your food & fitness!!

Hi Jane :)

Fitatfifty: Just curious - did you get blood work done that showed you had celiac disease? Is that why you got off wheat & gluten?

No, I just started to clue in to how I was "FEELING" after eating. I was really struggling with a continuous feeling of being bloated. It would not go away despite my schedule of regular WO. Then I started reading tons of info all about foods and inflamation in our bodies. I have always done just Cathe WO but just thought it was me getting older and having less energy and so a bloated tummy was part of it. NOT SO!!
As soon as I removed all the bad stuff..my energy was the first to climb and then it just kept getting better & better. I'm so thankful I listened to my body. I know I did the right thing.

Recently, my waist was a terrible thing to mind too.

This made me laugh out loud! The original quote ("a mind is a terrible thing to waste", for those who don't know) has always been a favorite of my dad's and I've heard it for many years.

Stebby

No, I just started to clue in to how I was "FEELING" after eating. I was really struggling with a continuous feeling of being bloated. It would not go away despite my schedule of regular WO. Then I started reading tons of info all about foods and inflamation in our bodies. I have always done just Cathe WO but just thought it was me getting older and having less energy and so a bloated tummy was part of it. NOT SO!!
As soon as I removed all the bad stuff..my energy was the first to climb and then it just kept getting better & better. I'm so thankful I listened to my body. I know I did the right thing.

Thanks for the reply, FitatFifty. I think I need to listen to mine, too. ;) I had never connected the dots before... I've been bloating after eating since I was in high school - I'm 57. Yeah, I'm a slow learner... LOL Do you recommend any particular books or websites for info? Again, thanks!
Jane

Hi Jane :)

Thanks for the reply, FitatFifty. I think I need to listen to mine, too. ;) I had never connected the dots before... I've been bloating after eating since I was in high school - I'm 57. Yeah, I'm a slow learner... LOL Do you recommend any particular books or websites for info? Again, thanks!
Jane

Women to Women — Changing women's health — naturally This is a great web site to start with. Loaded with information to help and guide you. I use this site a lot. Jane, this is such a vast subject and I encourage you to read what they offer. Hey, I'm a slow..slow learner too!!! Go for it!! Let me know what you decide. Be brutally honest with yourself OK?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.