Those against a modifier in high impact workouts, what's the downside?

Wow, what a post.

I can't say that I've EVER noticed this. Honestly, I wish I could be an Iron Woman triathlete like Brenda. She's as tough as they come! I admire her enormously for rebounding from a major hip fracture (incurred during an iron man triathalon) to film in STS weights.

I should be so lucky to one day lag behind a triathlete. Definite wow factor to that post, you're right.

I don't usually modify, but I think having a modifier is a good idea. I have been known to injure myself from time to time, and it would be nice to have one crew member to follow on those occasions.

Don't care about having a modifier. But, something to keep in mind - Cathe typically uses mulitple cameras and mulitple camera viewpoints. Therefore, there likely wouldn't be a constant camera on someone doing a modified move. Not that it really matters. Just bringing up a point...

Therefore, there likely wouldn't be a constant camera on someone doing a modified move. Not that it really matters. Just bringing up a point...

I don't think that is a problem. Beachbody always includes a modifier with moving camera angles. It doesn't make it difficult to follow the person as long as the camera pans back to show all the exercisers.

How about when Krasy puts out her own video collection she can exclude everyone and anyone she wants. Holy crap - Valium anyone? Cathe's objective is to reach many, not the few or the one. (anyone with a solid business plan would think this way). I personally don't see any issue. I barely notice the background exercisers, but would appreciate the addition of a modifier for when I or others need it. I think it is a good idea from a safety perspective, as well. But I also don't think the exercise world revolves exclusively around my wants, so I tend to be more inclusionary to begin with.

As long as Cathe's workouts remain advanced (high impact and/or high intensity), I wouldn't mind it if she had a modifier.

If Cathe lowered down the overall intensity of her workouts to cater to the less advanced exerciser, that would bother me. There are far too many fitness dvds that cater to intermediate exercisers.

Wouldn't bother me...

Having a modifier wouldn't bother me, but it would probably be wasted on me. I can usually keep up with Cathe, and if I need to modify, I do so on my own.

How did Brenda get hurt?

. Honestly, I wish I could be an Iron Woman triathlete like Brenda. She's as tough as they come! I admire her enormously for rebounding from a major hip fracture (incurred during an iron man triathalon) to film in STS weights.

Off subject a bit, but how did Brenda fracture her hip during a triathalon?

In my opinion, anybody who can complete a triathalon is as tough as they come! Total respect from me for that accomplishment!

Off subject a bit, but how did Brenda fracture her hip during a triathalon?

In my opinion, anybody who can complete a triathalon is as tough as they come! Total respect from me for that accomplishment!

I didn't know Brenda had suffered this injury. :(
ITA, she's amazing! One of my favorites for sure:)

I agree with you. Sometimes I can't think of a good modification on my own. I am just one who isn't good at that. Some people are I am just not.

I am the same. It is helpful for me to have a modifier give me an idea on how to modify a move and still get a good workout. I think it helps a workout appeal to a larger group of customers. I ordered but I know from the comments of those that didn't, it was mostly because of the intensity/impact of the cardio workouts. This group includes people who bought STS so they aren't new exercisers.

I didn't know Brenda had suffered this injury. :(
ITA, she's amazing! One of my favorites for sure:)

This is from the blog archives, Feb. 08:

Brenda is Back!

Brenda is back after recovering from a Triathlon injury just a few months ago. In the above picture Brenda performs a Front/Back Fan Kick over a stability ball. This makes us ask If Brenda can do STS in such a short period of time, what’s you excuse for not being able to do STS?

******************************************************************************************

Brenda shared a bit about her surgery with me at the '08 RT. She has a great sense of humor and outlook. She is so funny!! Her DH (or is SO?) lovingly referred to her as "Frankenhiene" because of the stitches and incisions made during the surgery. She is a true inspiration!!! :)

Modifiers wouldn't bother me at all. Once I know the routine, I don't even look at the t.v. anymore. I'm just focusing on what Cathe says.

Modifiers wouldn't bother me at all. Once I know the routine, I don't even look at the t.v. anymore. I'm just focusing on what Cathe says.

Same here--once I learn the routine, I hardly look at the screen either.

I've already pre ordered and ultimately don't care if there is a modifier or not, but as someone who's been through multiple pregnancies with Cathe and weathered various injuries, I think I might kind of enjoy a modifier (even though I can and do modify on my own as needed.)

Maggie:)

i think a moderater would be great, cuz that is the only way i would think about buying STS cardio, cuz i know that i cannot do all the high impact. it would kill me. i would love to get it, but i'm not gonna pay for something i can't use.
cathy

Makes no difference to me. I've learned what I can and can't do, and go from there. It doesn't matter so much as long as you stay on count/beat.

In some of her older workouts (esp step w/o) she layers on the intensity for example a 3 knee becomes a scissor, so you can back it up to the 3 knee if need be. So I learned a lot of mods from there, and that could be a way of setting up the new workouts. (not that I know anything about scripting, choreo, teaching, doing, filming or any of that stuff)

Also, in some of the older workouts there's a short segment at the beginning showing mods. I think that would be my preference in the new series, to show the mods at the beginning and have everyone together thru the workout. It just looks nicer that way.

Amy Bento's workouts always have a modifier, and I don't even notice. I am normally paying more attention to the instructor and trying not to fall on my face. I personally don't think Amy's videos look as nice at Cathe's, but I thinks that's more due to production/money spent than to having a modifier.

All that being said, most of the time, I don't even "see" what's going on on the TV. I see it with my eyes, but I'm concentrating on what I'm doing, so after I've learned the routine, I don't notice what's on the TV.

Nan

I have to agree with AJock. I just like the overall look of everyone in unison, especially in cardio workouts.

Don't get me wrong, I still preordered and I wouldn't change my mind if Cathe decided to use modifiers.

I too like the overall look of eneryone in unison. I find a modifier to be very distracting. To me the workouts are advanced so that is what I expect to see. If I wanted an intermediate workout then I'd buy an intermediate or beginner workout. This is one of the things I love about Cathe's workouts is that you don't see a modifier.

It would not bother me in the least (though, for symmetry, maybe having two people, in the back, but easy to see) would 'look' better.

I frankly don't understand why it would bother anyone. :confused:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.