This was an e-mail from a soldier i was told

realfit1, Thanks and well put.

I speak from what I saw over there.

“snope.com” is lying when the say Iraqi women don’t wear burqa. I’ve seen them with my own eyes, and photographed them. Why did snope.com lie? I don’t know, but it’s suspect. They are seemed to be trying to sway opinion.

Bill, the burqa thing has been widely reported all over the media. I think it's a general conception that almost everyone has.

Amy

I'm confused on the burqua thing. Muslim women wear burqua all over the world. However, Iraq does not require women to cover, while a place like Saudi Arabia does...is this what Snopes is trying to say?

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

The "burqua clad" woman in the story was in the US and I understood snopes to be saying that it is unlikely to encounter a woman dressed like that here. Seems like snopes then tried to give the benefit of the doubt to the author when they said that he possibly meant chador or habib rather than burqua. In any case, snopes did not confirm that the story was untrue but stated that when a story cannot be confirmed that is reason enough to be suspicious. Sort of like the "fake but accurate" documents that Dan Rather has put his faith in.

Sparrow,

It's simple, they didn't like the way the story read about the soldier in the store, so they tried to discredit the story with a lie. The media dose this kind of thing all the time. It's up to us to be able to see through the lies. In my case I know first hand snopes is lying, unfortunately most people will fall for it.

I looked up burqa and chador on the google images and in a couple of the pictures the burqa and the chador show the eyes of the woman, but in most of the pictures, the burqa *completely* covers the woman (like she's inside a sack) and there's only a mesh like area for her to see out of. The chador shows the eyes.

Of course, Snopes is lying if it's disagreeing with the war or whatever bug is up its liberal a$$. Walt Disney's head IS frozen cryogenically somewhere AND THE CALL IS STILL COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!!

And I still respect the warrior but don't support the war. I want everyone home safe and sound for the holidays.

Good night, John Boy!

HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE

:eek: :7 :7 :p :eek: :7 :p :eek: ;-) ;-) ;) :7 :* :p :D :* :7 :D :* :D :) :)

LOL Susan!!! Didn't you know? Snopes is just a small part of the huge, evil liberal propaganda machine! I don't know what their problem was with this story, because it was so believable! I felt like I was there watching it with my own eyes.

Anywho, many conservatives have admitted that this idea of a liberal media is a myth. GOP strategist William Kristol stated: "I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." Or how about this one from the far-right Pat Buchanan: "The truth is, I've gotten fairer, more comprehensive coverage of my ideas than I ever imagined I would receive...I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage -- all we could have asked...For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that." Oh, my! Could it be that they've been LYING about this all along??? But that's not like the far right to tell lies, is it?!?!?!

Amy

This thread needs to go away because it's just back and forth with no way out.

So I won't post here again on this thread. But I might peek every now and then...

Susan L.G.

..Still lovin' the soldiers...;)

OK, I was so confused as to why someone in a burqa would cause so much trouble that I actually went and read the article at Snopes. Honestly, I don't see them as taking one side or another. They very clearly point out that many Iraqi woman are secular and don't cover (true) and that it is rare to see a woman in full burqa in this country (also true) and that the author could easily have confused burqa with hijab or chador (also true). The latter statement implying that if that were the case, the story would have a bit more veracity. Snopes job is to discredit and nitpick and I don't see anything wrong with what they did here. (Though the reasons for discrediting it are a bit lame. All Muslim women are not cut from the same cloth.) And, I have to say, as a writer, and as someone who has spent most of my adult life putting made up words in character's mouths, the whole scene doesn't ring true. Bad dialogue all around. :+

Honestly, this reminds me of that silly email that was going around a while ago about how the Qur'an has a verse detailing how a Muslim country would attack a larger country and a "great eagle" would rise from the ashes to smite the Muslim nation or whatever nonsense it was.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

I always ask myself... "What would Jimmy Buffett say......
I think good ole Jimmy would say.... "read what you want, believe what you want and if you dont "enjoy" a good debate knowing full well that no one is 100% right all the time then dont debate....":7

Actually, this is probably not an appropriate forum for this topic. Politics and religion are covered on other boards. People can flame each other on slashdot and the like.

Bill, those aren't burqas. A burqa is a one-piece garmet. It's similar to wearing a sheet on your head. Not even a woman's eyes are visible when wearing a burqa. A burqa is a type of hijab -- there are several others, including the chador. Muslims around the world interpret hijab in different ways. I'm not a Muslim, but I'm pretty sure the hijab worn in the photos you posted have a more symbolic meaning and aren't worn everyday. I'm very interested in the "whys" so I'll look for more information myself. :)

Candi, isn't your statement rather silly when you really read what you typed? It is, after all, a volunteer military.
We can disagree but your statement has me shaking my head.

I have issues with some of Bush's ideas too. The fact that our borders are wide open is one.
North Korea is a totally different thing from Iraq based on who is in that country and where they are positioned geographically. China is sitting on them anyway.
Your comment on the death toll numbers is false. The numbers you see on the mainstream news include Iraq and Afghanistan. If anything, I would say that the Clinton News Network(CNN) would inflate numbers to make Bush look bad. They seem to relish showing those troops being blown up or gunned down.
By this time in the Korean War we had lost 50,000 American troops. It is the most successful war but has gotten bogged down. We need to finish it off. That means blowing away the little terrorists who plant roadside bombs instead of letting a JAG officer say we cannot shoot them dead. Throwing up a yellow card ala the Clinton days and attempting to talk to people who want us all dead because of our Christian beliefs is not going to get it done.
My position is that people who willingly break our laws to get into this country are more than likely of the mindset that it's okay to break many of our laws. The statistics bear it out. 25 Americans a day on average are killed by illegal aliens in one way or another. That includes death by straight out murder, drunk driving and others. I think that is a contribution we can all live without. And since the money they make leaves our economy and goes into Mexico how is that helping us? Bush wants amnesty and now he is going to get it with a Democratic Congress.
I agree, thank God for open elections. We deserve the government we elect and we as an electorate are about to get just what we deserve. It isn't going to be a good thing in my opinion. If we surrender Iraq we will have another 9/11.
Like I stated before, I have many friends and family in the military. I know what's going on there. Do you think I want them harmed or killed? And for something not worth fighting for? I believe in our country and I think it is worth preserving. Right now, it seems like many people just want to hand over our nukes to the enemy so they can just blow us all away with them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.