There's a bunny in my yard!

lori254

Cathlete
I just looked out the window and there's a cute little cottontail bunny in the yard chowing down on my lawn. It's unusual to see wildlife around here since they widened the road near my place, cut down all the trees to allow for a four lane 80 km/h road :( I used to have deer, coyotes, lots of birds, and of course bunnies roaming around. I'm really a country girl trapped in a city girl's world. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a little place in the country; til then I always welcome a little taste of it whenever it comes around!

I'll send some of my bunnies your way! I have hundreds of them to spare and a family of groundhogs living by my creek. I'm rather partial to the baby groundhogs though.

I'm so jealous...sounds like you live in the country near a creek. Lucky you! I would love to live in the country but real estate in southern Alberta is very $$$$$.

I have a little bunny in my yard as well. (I'm a bit ticked at him/her for eating my only kale plant! but s/he's so cute!).

I have a little bunny in my yard as well. (I'm a bit ticked at him/her for eating my only kale plant! but s/he's so cute!).

LOL, you are so sweet for not waging warfare against him/her. They can be 'pests', can't they, but they are so very cute:)

What's your address? I'll give it to DH and he can ship our critters your way!! He plants a big, beautiful garden (flowers and veggies) then grumbles when the squirrels and bunnies move in to munch his plants. I've told him its like an all you can eat buffet for them. We have a family living under a low growing rose right now, they seem safe for the moment, but he will chase them out given the opportunity. They don't eat much, just a nibble here and there - we can share! He doesn't see it that way. He's a landscaper and all the guys in his office grumble about their bunnies, too. One shoots them with a pellet gun (squirrels, too) and one has a creek in the back and has torn down a beaver dam a couple times. How mean!! Let them be. We moved into THEIR space, afterall.

Nan

Oh, that turned kinda vent-y, didn't it? sorry.

My dog found a little bunny in our yard the other day. It was hiding behind a folded up lounge chair between it and the deck. He acted like it was a porcupine or something becuase he'd go to smell it and then jerk back, wondering what the heck it was (he's a big 90 pound wuss, apparently)...thankfully our other dog didn't see it, because she probably would have tried to get it as she has that hunting/retriever instinct.

Hi Nan - sure, he can ship 'em out here, but I'm afraid they wouldn't stay. I live in a townhouse and they don't allow us to grow vegetable gardens. The only yummies I can provide is grass and they'd probably all head back to your house for the scrumptious all-you-can-eat buffet.

Do you think he is a pet thats gotten lost?

We get lots of wild life, jack rabbits, deer, coyotes, occasionally a fox, turkeys, skunk, owls, and hawks. The deer are rotten, they ate my rose bushes.

love the bunny stories! i saw a tiny baby bunny this morning, all alone underneath a tree. hope he's not lost or missing his mom, seemed very young to be alone. :(

It is bunny time in Maryland. I saw about forty of them during my run this morning - I'm totally nuts about them. I have seen very teeny baby buns out and about with no parent in evidence, but I think they're always close to their burrow, so probably they're fine, just a little precocious.

I don't have Kale, so they don't visit my place much - but I see them in neighborhood lawns and playgrounds and parks.

Like Liann, I have a special place in my heart for the little wee baby groundhogs. I saw one with his mom while I was riding my bike the other day - SO. CUTE.

OMG I love bunnies! And I'm not a gardener so I dont care about them eating my grass. I'm in Maryland too, I wonder if we'll ever get some around my house.

At work, I see groundhogs all the time, love them and sometimes you see deer. I've walked past a few and they didnt run away or anything, they are quite used to us.

I hope I attached these photos the right way! We have alot of rabbits hopping about and one rotten little raccoon(although very cute)! That actually carried off my Suet for the birds yesterday cage and all!:)

Attachments

• IM000505.jpg
    IM000505.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IM000504.jpg
    IM000504.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IM000495.jpg
    IM000495.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 14

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.