The slap chop

LauraMax

Cathlete
OK, the sham wow dude convinced me. That thing looks like it'll make salads super-easy to make. I admit to often buying my salads pre-made just b/c of the time factor, but I'd much rather be able to pick & choose my own ingredients.

Who else has one? Any reviews?

You mean that wasn't a joke?! Really, I caught a little of that on tv one night and I thought it was part of a comedy sketch.

Oh dear.

OK, the sham wow dude convinced me. That thing looks like it'll make salads super-easy to make. I admit to often buying my salads pre-made just b/c of the time factor, but I'd much rather be able to pick & choose my own ingredients.

Who else has one? Any reviews?

I love that sham wow guy! Sorry I don't have the slap chop - no review to offer! I hope it works for you though!

OK I went ahead & ordered it. I also got the salad spinner for free, I just had to pay a low low S&H price of $17. :eek: Just kidding. The extra shipping was $5. :)

Yeah that guy is for real. He has a way of grabbing your attention, doesn't he? :D

I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I have the Pampered Chef version also and it works great. I also have something just like the Sham Wow, and they are fantastic! I know they carry those at Bed Bath & Beyond - not sure about the slap chop though. Let us know how you like it!
Paula

cleaning? sharpening?

I have a similar one (different brand). While the chopping is quick, I stopped using it because it was a real pain to clean. This Slapchop ad says theirs is better because it opens up to clean, but it seems like you still have a zig-zag piece of metal to clean by hand. Can anyone that's used this comment on the ease of the cleaning process? Has anyone had it long enough to comment on when/whether it needs to be sharpened, and if this would even be possible? (i.e. does it eventually start squishing foods instead of neatly chopping due to dullness)

For now, I've just gone back to a nice sharp chef's knife which I've found really is just as fast to use for chopping, and cleans in seconds.

I have a similar one (different brand). While the chopping is quick, I stopped using it because it was a real pain to clean. This Slapchop ad says theirs is better because it opens up to clean, but it seems like you still have a zig-zag piece of metal to clean by hand. Can anyone that's used this comment on the ease of the cleaning process? Has anyone had it long enough to comment on when/whether it needs to be sharpened, and if this would even be possible? (i.e. does it eventually start squishing foods instead of neatly chopping due to dullness)

For now, I've just gone back to a nice sharp chef's knife which I've found really is just as fast to use for chopping, and cleans in seconds.

Hm. Interesting question. I was planning on putting it in the dishwasher.

Snowbelle, if I tried to chop that fast I'd end up eating a pinky salad. :eek:

Wow, I missed the part where it said "dishwasher safe"! If that's really true, I want one too! (I love kitchen gadgets).
I thought metal knives and other sharpened implements (like shredding disks, chopping blades, etc) in general were not supposed to go in the dishwasher (dulls faster? corrodes metal?), but maybe I am being overly cautious.
I look forward to hearing how it works for you after lots of good healthy salads and dishwasher cycles!

Regarding regular knife cutting speed, and safety...I definitely improved in the speed department after I decided to eat lots of salad w/ chopped up veggies (and mostly-veggie stir fries). I also ended up with a bandaid on my index finger (pinky was ok!) every few months at first. So, both improved considerably with practice. Making sure the knife was properly sharpened was also key, as I later learned that a dull knife is a major cause of accidents.

One final observation that I made (using the device like the Slapchop) was that I had to get out a knife and cutting board ANYWAY just to get many of the vegetables prepped (cut off non-edible parts) and trimmed to fit under the round plastic "hood" that contains the cutting blades. By the time you cut them into ~2" pieces, making a few more cuts with a knife didn't take much longer.

I've seen the ads, but forgot what it was called, so I thought this thread was about some kickboxing workout! :p

I have a similar hand chopper, but it takes more than one whack to get things chopped (unless you want big chunks).

They do work well, but watch out if you tend to have carpal tunnel: the repetitive movement can stress the wrists if you use it a lot.

I've used the pampered chef version for over 5 yrs. Still chops great. It's my DH's favorite toy. I don't get to use it much bc hurts my hands (carpal tunnel). We've had no trouble washing it except after we chop hard boiled eggs. What a mess, but otherwise it's great.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.