The Most Depressing Movie EVER?!?

O.k., you guys are probably going to laugh...but I cried all the way though...Babe. Yup, I'm a sucker for animal films, I tear up when they are cute and cry when they die. I was in tears from the very beginning when Babe said goodbye to his mom as they were taking her off to slaughter.

Deedee...my second mom actually became a vegetarian after watching this movie! She has not eaten meat since the day she saw it.

Janie...OMG about Bridges of Madison County. Every time I watch it, I hope it will turn out different. Get out of the truck, Meryl !! Get out of the truck!! Then again, the fact that she stayed made it even more powerful. :(

:)Jonezie

Precious. I really wanted to see it, and have to say after crying I was depressed for the rest of that night.

Lots of movies have made me cry and have been very distrubing to me but none like Monster with Charlize Theron. I don't know why but I was literally sick to my stomach the rest of the day after watching that. It was so horrifying to me yet I couldn't turn it off.

There are lots of movies people have mentioned that I haven't seen and now probably won't. I can't stand the sad things anymore. Ever since becoming a mom I have a whole way of looking at things and I cry a lot easier.

I have seen Schindler's List in bits and pieces. I say I want to see it from beginning to end but just can't bring myself to do so. We have a local Holocaust survivor who talks at the schools and her story brings just about everyone to tears, high school boys included.

Deedee...my second mom actually became a vegetarian after watching this movie! She has not eaten meat since the day she saw it.
The actor who played the farmer (I can't remember his name) also became a vegetarian (vegan, I think) after working with the pigs and seeing how intelligent they were.

Me and my Mom rented the Thorn Birds mini series. We shut ourselves in the t.v. room with the blinds closed for the entire series and when Dad came in after work he started laughing. The room was filled with kleenex and our eyes were SO swollen. We bawled like babies. Still laugh about that years later.

Janie...OMG about Bridges of Madison County. Every time I watch it, I hope it will turn out different. Get out of the truck, Meryl !! Get out of the truck!! Then again, the fact that she stayed made it even more powerful. :(

:)Jonezie

How is it that Charlotte's Web, the book, didn't have the same effect on people, I wonder?

Me and my Mom rented the Thorn Birds mini series. We shut ourselves in the t.v. room with the blinds closed for the entire series and when Dad came in after work he started laughing. The room was filled with kleenex and our eyes were SO swollen. We bawled like babies. Still laugh about that years later.

Oh hell yeah! But it has to be the original series, not the half-assed add on they did years later. And the book - oh, I start crying halfway through, when Dane dies, and don't stop until the end, and beyond. You really have to put in a supply of Kleenex and commit to not being able to do anything until after it's all over, that's for sure.

And isn't the scene where Richard Chamberlain takes her to bed, from the beach, one of the sexiest in movie history? I still get chills at the thought, even knowing he's actually gay and couldn't have been all that into it. It wasn't so much him, as their interaction, that was so sexy, of course.

Lots of movies have made me cry and have been very distrubing to me but none like Monster with Charlize Theron. I don't know why but I was literally sick to my stomach the rest of the day after watching that. It was so horrifying to me yet I couldn't turn it off.

Maybe because Monster was a true story?

I honestly don't know how I forgot to mention this one..............

Asylum. There is more than one movie with the title. I am talking about the one with Natasha Richardson. OMG. It seriously left me disturbed for months.

And isn't the scene where Richard Chamberlain takes her to bed, from the beach, one of the sexiest in movie history? I still get chills at the thought, even knowing he's actually gay and couldn't have been all that into it. It wasn't so much him, as their interaction, that was so sexy, of course.

I haven't seen the movie in years, but I thought the whole relationship between Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward was creepy. They met when she was a child and she looked up to him as a safe adult. It's almost like he manipulated her or took advantage of that relationship between them in some way. Besides him being a priest, of course, the relationship seemed inappropriate to me.

Erica

Oh hell yeah! But it has to be the original series, not the half-assed add on they did years later. And the book - oh, I start crying halfway through, when Dane dies, and don't stop until the end, and beyond. You really have to put in a supply of Kleenex and commit to not being able to do anything until after it's all over, that's for sure.

Hmmm, I didn't see the later one. That beach retreat was so sexy! How I'd love to vacation there with DH and no one else around!

I haven't seen the movie in years, but I thought the whole relationship between Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward was creepy. They met when she was a child and she looked up to him as a safe adult. It's almost like he manipulated her or took advantage of that relationship between them in some way. Besides him being a priest, of course, the relationship seemed inappropriate to me.

Erica

Well yeah, that was kinda the whole point of the story, but still crazy hot beach scene!

Have to agree with Schindlers List and Marley and Me. My 10 yr old wanted to see Marley and Me, and both he and I were sobbing at the end!! (I did warn him).

I hate to cry at the movies (and I always do, no matter what movie), but to sob uncontrollably is the worst. I won't go see sad movies. Would never watch Titanic. It's OBVIOUS how it ends. Why would I do that to myself?

I am kind of wanting to see The Notebook. I heard that's a BIG HUGE tear jerker. But I'll have to be alone and be in the mood for it.

The two most haunting, sad movies I've ever seen are Frances, an old movie about a movie star that was too outspoken for her time and ended up in a mental hospital and was subdued by a lobotomy. I just fell apart after the movie and will never ever ever watch it again.

The second movie is The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, about a Mexican ranch hand who is killed in Texas. Now this one I rent at least once a year and watch it over and over for a few days because it's so beautiful and moving but I stay depressed the whole time.

Brokeback Mountain broke my heart. In two. Permanently. But I thought it was a good movie, and had lots of redeeming value. I just can't watch it without crying my eyes out.

Mab, Monster was a very powerful movie. Charlize Theron was amazing, and I agree the movie was depressing. And deeply haunting, but very well done.

I would throw in Million Dollar Baby, although once you get distance from it, you realize it's not quite so depressing as some other movies, in the way that the main character did finally achieve her dream and the love she deserved. But still, you couldn't pay me to watch it again.

Last edited:
OMG! That was always one of my favorite movies! I fell in love with Beau Bridges then . . . :)

The Other Side of the Mountain... the one about the paraplegic skier. I never cry at movies. I just don't. But this stupid little movie had me doing that kind of crying where you do the big heaving sobs. The original movie, not part two. I thought maybe I was just in a special mood but years later I caught it on the late, late show and was determined that I would not cry and, yep, it happened again. Beats me.

Okay, compared to the movies on this list so far, The Plague (or La Peste - it was made in 1992) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105127/) would make all of these feel like comedies! I could have killed myself after watching this. I would most certainly recommend it. It is absolutely fantastically played by William Hurt, Robert Duvall and Raul Julia. If I remember correctly, there was no musical soundtrack to influence you. I would definitely rent some really stupid movies to follow it because after you watch this film, you will be in total shock.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.