The FIRM 500 cal workout

NRG Woman

Cathlete
I was at Walmart today and saw a DVD with 3 FIRM workouts for just under $10. Still not having resolved how different the FIRM is from when I started I bought it thinking 3 workouts for $10 what a great deal.

Well...I tried doing 500 Calorie Workout and was shocked at how horrible it was. :confused: In the warmup the instructor is not following a 32 count. Sometimes she starts on 3, sometimes 1, and other times no matter how good you are at counting you can't figure out where the combination is supposed to start. Not only that the music is so fast and driven it is almost frenetic. It is like they are trying to fit a 75 minute workout in 60 minutes. After about 10 minutes I was so stressed out from the music and the complete inability of the instructor to find the beat that I had to walk away...just leave the room and do something else.

Wow! If you are in Walmart don't get sucked in by what seems to be a good deal on FIRM's.

It was sad how the quality of the workouts went downhill after the company changed hands. I still like the old Firms, up to the Transfirmer series, but nothing after that. I bought a lot of the newer ones, trying to like them, but I'm not impressed at all. But that's just me. :)

I started out doing the Firm, and still have some of the old ones. I stopped though, because the new workouts drive me crazy: the instructors cannot keep a tempo or beat. I'm a dancer, and used to be in band years ago, and I find this issue really distracting to me. One instructor in particular is off in every single workout she does. Can't stand it.

It was sad how the quality of the workouts went downhill after the company changed hands. I still like the old Firms, up to the Transfirmer series, but nothing after that. I bought a lot of the newer ones, trying to like them, but I'm not impressed at all. But that's just me. :)

Same here. I credit the earlier Firm tapes with helping me keep in shape during the 80's and into the 90's. But when they changed hands, the quality of their workouts--in all respects--went downhill. I, too, got up to the transfirmer stage, but that was the beginning of the end for me as far as the Firm is concerned, as I didn't like most of those. Like you, I bought a few of the newer ones after that and was very disappointed. I determined they were useless after one viewing/workout, and now they are collecting dust somewhere in storage. The earlier instructors who were very good, like Pam Merriweather, Tracy Long, Heidi Tanner, Susan Harris, Sandahl Bergman, Janie Poteet, and others whose names I can't remember offhand right now, started disappearing from the videos. The only one who is still there that I like is Allie, and, while I think she is a good instructor, the workouts changed to their new, frenetic, dancy steps that just don't work for me. They are just annoying. I have almost all of the old ones on VHS, but I have ordered some of the old Firm workouts on dvd and still work them in sometimes.

I agree - the new/newer firms are just not the same as the old ones. And every time they came out with a new series, they had a new box! There was the blue plastic one with the legs that kept collapsing (they called it the death box :(), the two piece long blue and green one that you could slant one on top of the other in a slot, and then the smaller green and blue one. How do I know this? Why because I have them all - and they are scattered throughout the house not serving their original purpose. The only gimmick I didn't get sucked into was the 'wave' - that thing looked super dangerous ;).

I'm not angry with the Firm, I'm just happy I found Cathe!

My basement is the graveyard for firm equipment. The only piece I use is the one you can slot one step into the other to create an incline. That was the last Firm purchase I made. Instead of sticking with one piece of equipment and creating videos for that, they had to create a series around each new piece of equpiment. No matter what gimmicky thing they put out, it was essentially the same workout.

I always felt like the videos were led by Stepford Housewives, too. Thank goodness for Cathe...

I'm with you ladies; loved the old Firm and tried but couldn't get into the newer ones. I still did the older ones until I discovered Cathe (Thank Goodness!) on FitTV about 3 years ago.

I am grateful to the Firm for keeping me fit for so many years, but so thankful to have discovered Cathe's challenging, ever-changing, never boring, varied and vast collection which made staying fit fun.

I have to add that since discovering Cathe, I am in much better shape as I approach 50 than I ever was while religiously doing The Firm in my 20s, 30s and early 40s.

I started with The Firm also and had wonderful results. I got frustrated after falling for a "presale" for their Firmies. They advertised that it was only available for Firm Members; the price wasn't a bargain and 6 months later could be bought at any video store cheaper than what I paid. I liked the instructors that were previously mentioned. I also liked Jen Carmen.

The Stepford Wife comment is so true. I'd be drenched in sweat and they always looked so fresh!

Lisa

I have the 500 calorie workout and the Get Chisle'd one. I think both are decent workouts. They aren't difficult by any means, but I always get major DOMS after doing them, so they must be working something :). I used to have them in my regular rotation, but haven't done them in over a year, probably.

Same here. I credit the earlier Firm tapes with helping me keep in shape during the 80's and into the 90's. But when they changed hands, the quality of their workouts--in all respects--went downhill. I, too, got up to the transfirmer stage, but that was the beginning of the end for me as far as the Firm is concerned, as I didn't like most of those. Like you, I bought a few of the newer ones after that and was very disappointed. I determined they were useless after one viewing/workout, and now they are collecting dust somewhere in storage. The earlier instructors who were very good, like Pam Merriweather, Tracy Long, Heidi Tanner, Susan Harris, Sandahl Bergman, Janie Poteet, and others whose names I can't remember offhand right now, started disappearing from the videos. The only one who is still there that I like is Allie, and, while I think she is a good instructor, the workouts changed to their new, frenetic, dancy steps that just don't work for me. They are just annoying. I have almost all of the old ones on VHS, but I have ordered some of the old Firm workouts on dvd and still work them in sometimes.

I have to mostly agree with what you said. The Firm got me started with working out in the late 90's, early 2000's and I even loved the Fannly Lifter and Transfirmer series. I even go on their website every now and then to check out what is coming out. To me, it's very "gimicky". They are pushing the latest trend and gadget they can come of with. Sorry, but that "Wave" thing was just not for me...that was gimicky.

As far as I know, they don't even sell the TF for FL any longer as a side item and they are very difficult to locate. I really loved the TF when it was on the angle. You really do get different muscle groups that way.

As for the instructors...Pam Meriweather was my all time favorite, but she moved on to a more a yoga style company. I always liked Allie and Stephanie Huckabee who are both still with the Firm. But I have not bought any new workouts since the TF series. Sad really.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.