Taught my first step class, it was terrible

Connie1

Cathlete
Well, I have plenty of things I need to work on. Actually I can't sleep. It is 4 a.m. here.

I taught step on Saturday, for the first time in a couple of months. Before this, I had subbed three times and it went pretty well! But this time I thought I had it down, but I was underprepared. I had forgotten some details from the earlier classes and I used different music. I practiced, but not enough times and not thoroughly enough.

Well, the microphone kept coming undone from where it was bent to fit me, and my music had places that sounded off beat but weren't. About 6 people showed up for the class but all except 2 left quickly after the beginning of the step portion.

I tried to teach too many combos with not enough breakdown. I am so used to videos that I didn't realize the learning curve could need to be so long, but it does. Also, I overestimated my group, Saturday morning, but it's not a really advanced group like I expected.

Anyway I will do my re-worked routine this morning and probably every morning this week. I won't add any risers!

I added lots of breakdown and reduced the number of combos from 8 to 3.

Thought you future instructors would like to know what it can be like to make the hurdle to "pro!" I am not giving up, and I'll let y'all know from time to time, when it gets better!
-Connie

Connie,
Good to hear that you aren't giving up! I had taken many step classes in years past that weren't exactly what I was hoping for with the instructors but I have to say that the times I "gave up" on an instructor because of frustration, confusion, etc.. I actually ended up liking that instructor tremendously the second time around :)
One thing is for certain, though..I have NEVER walked out on an instructor's class even when it was really bad and others did. I figured that this person had enough courage and commitment to the class to at least try to pull it off that I wouldn't ever want people doing that to me. Just my .02 on that one.
Hang in there and good for you that you recognized what went wrong for you and next time you'll show em' all ;)

Connie,
There are 3 kinds of people. Two will make it, the third kind won't.
1. Those who learn from the mistakes of others.
2. Those who learn from their own mistakes.
3. Those who never learn.

Sounds like you are a winner to me. You have come a long way to get to your first class. I just imagine every instructor in the business has a story to tell about their first class.
Hang in there. You have a lot of friends in your corner. Just think, one day when you have your DVD's for sale on TV, those that were in your first clase will tell all their friends..."hey, I was in her very first class." ;-)

Connie - I stunk up the joint in my first true class like you would not believe.

That was over 7-1/2 years ago, and now (if I do say so myself) I'm probably the best aqua instructor in the Twin Cities.

Keep at it. Keep preparing as long as you need to. The intuitive sense will come with practice.

A-Jock

Connie:

this sounds like my first semester teaching Spanish at Penn State University. I was pretty bad, lost, couldn't understand why they didn't get it.

It is only by teaching the same thing repeatedly that you can learn how to pace a class, anticipate the difficulties students will have, learn how much preparation they need before you can throw something new at them, learn how to present something new to produce a high degree of acquisition of the new material.

My only advice to you is to keep your new pared down routine just as it is for quite a while, let them get used to you, let yourself gain confidence, before you introduce any new twists and turns.

Now, in my 8th year of teaching, I have just received the best teaching evaluations of my life, with a degree of excellence that puts me in the top 1-5% of teaching excellence at the U of Michigan.

It can be done!

Practice, thorough preparation, analysis after class of what worked, what didn't and why, implementation of "fix-it" strategies, thinking of what the stuidents needs are for suicess: these are what will make you a fabulous instructor.

You can do it because I see you are already thinking about these things.

I'm on your side. Take heart, chin up and just try again!

Clare

When i first taught an aerobic class i used music with a beat of 158bpm! Ouch! They were used to 128bpm! Needless to say, i had to go down a d touch and do a simple routine...when i did this, it all went really well! Good luck!

W x

Connie, good for you for hanging in there! It's hard teaching and only trial & error will help you learn what you need to do. I also think it is very hard for students to attend a class with a new instructor. They tend to get conditioned to what they know. I have instructors under me and we all teach the SAME program but our styles are all different. When we sub for each other, you can just tell that it is harder for the students as they get sooo accustomed to the way THEIR instrutor leads. But, I have also found after subbing for another instructor several times, that the students become more relaxed and accepting if that makes sense?? I think it was very rude of the students to walk out on you and it must have broken your heart after all your hard work. I think your idea of breaking it down more and reducing the number of combos is a great idea and when you do this, you will see how they are doing and should it look too easy, you can always modify "up" for more intensity. Good Luck this week as you re-work it and I am most certain, it will all be fine. Hang in there. You are doing great!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Connie: You go, girl! I have taken lots of step classes. I suspect the folks left because of their own insecurities rather than "you"...the net effect is the same, I know....but don't give up. I think you are wise to reduce the combos to 3. I would say 3 max is what the average stepper can digest in a class....sometimes only 2 if the step portion is shorter.

Stick with it...you will develop a following and the word will spread to the regulars!
Jen

((((((( CONNIE )))))))))) I've never in my life taught any type of exercise class, so I can't even imagine the mental and physical preparation that goes into it. Everything that happens to us in life is a learning experience, if we let it be. I'm sure you did some wonderful things that you aren't even aware of. The best part is, you're already able to focus on what you need to change to make it the type of class you want it to be. With each class you teach, it will get better and better, and you'll make the changes you want to accomodate your class and their needs. I know you'll be a success at this!! Hang in there!!

Carol
:)

Connie, You've certainly got the right attitude about this. I think we learn more from things that "don't go quite right" than from things that go perfectly.

I remember the first time I gave a presentation at a state Foreign Language convention. Many things went wrong, from my being stuck in a too-small room (a hotel room, crunched between the bar and the bathroom--with 50 attendees crowding in) to having provided "too much information" to the presider (whom I had assumed would pick and choose and prepare ahead of time rather than just read what I had sent on the spot).

Someday you can look back at this and feel proud about how much better things got, which I'm sure they will.

Hey Connie...I've been there; in front of a class feeling like the deer caught in the headlights and feel your frustration but thank God it's behind you:) . The first months of learning to teach classes our brains are making SO many new pathways it's such a unique challenge and your doing great. It's terrific that you've been objective with yourself and know what you've got to do. Your hard work WILL pay off and an awesome class will be your (and your student's) reward!!! With time and exposure, it gets easier, much more comfortable, a lot of fun and very rewarding:). Keep on Keepin' on!!!!!! :7
Let us know how your next class goes!!

Take Care
Laurie

Hi Connie,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. You know we are all rooting for you and believe that you will be great! Everything takes time, and I'm glad you aren't giving up. If instructors gave up after a bad class, there would be no instructors, except maybe for Cathe lol.

Gina

Hi Connie,

I can only speak as someone who has taken step classes, and I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up. Everybody who has ever taught a class was new once, and people know that. Even those taking the class were new at that once, and I'm sure they remember how clumsily it goes the first couple times, but it gets better! Some things can only be learned from experience. You probably weren't even as underprepared as you think, but had kinks to work out that you couldn't possibly have anticipated. As a class-taker, I wouldn't hold it against you or think any less of you unless you're still working out the same kinks in a few months! Good luck - I think it's so cool that you have the guts to do something so fun and challenging!! It's something I've always secretly wanted to do, but never had the nerve, so I really admire that.

Would you care to add what city you're teaching in, in case anyone wants to take your class and show some support? If you're in Tampa, I for one would love to join you for a class :)

Ok, where's Cathe here? I bet even she has a funny story or two from the early days!

Dear Connie

I've been there too. As a teaching veteran (I've got 15 years under my belt) I have a few recs.

For an entire step class, I usually teach two blocks of 32 counts for the entire class - it is amazing how you can change 32 counts of music, plus there are so many ways of getting to your finished product. I remember when I first started teaching, I couldn't believe this scenario, but it really really works a treat.

Err on the side of athleticism unless you know that they love choreography.

Listen to your music - count out your 32 beats until you can do it in your sleep.

To change legs, try 24 counts and a three knee repeater (that could be your 3rd block if you wish to go that far).

BTW, good luck, you sound like you are doing marvelously for a new instructor, don't get discouraged, good teaching is like good art - takes years of practise!

Connie, I admire you for pursuing your goal in the first place as well as for posting about your "failure" so the rest of us might learn from it. You've already obviously learned something from your mistakes and that speaks volumes.

Thanks for posting and let us know how things progress!:)

Connie, it seems to me you have already critiqued yourself and know what you need to do differently. I think you have the potential to be an awesome instructor. So regroup and incorporate the changes you outlined in your original post and go for it! We learn so much more from our failures than our successes and those lessons ultimately lead us to success. It's a bummer it didn't go well but the next one will be better and in time you'll look back and laugh, knowing your first few classes needed the kinks worked out. You are going to nail it! Practice makes perfect! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Bravo connie :D ( this should be a clapping smile).
You have a positive and inspiring outlook. This is life. You took a situation and learned from it without blowing it out of proportion & dwelling on woe is me. Your healthy attitude will foster success and benefit others. I say be proud of yourself. I wish you goodluck, but you don't really need it because you are you.

jordan

Connie, I agree with what everyone has said so I'm going to keep myself from being repetitive. I just want to say that I've always admired your journey (I read your story) and YOU yourself, for making that journey slowly, surely, and with your heart in the right place. I know you'll be pro (without the quotations, please) in no time. I wish you well in everything you do.

Pinky

I, too, have made many of those same errors myself, Connie.

Hang in there. At least you tried to make the class happy by substituting for their instructor. It will get easier but you may want to adopt one of my strategies next time, make it an easy but very familiar to you step workout, the class will not know that you know the choreography cold because they will not.

Nerves alone are enough sometimes!

Sheila C.

Hi Connie! You are on your way to being a very successful instructor. I can tell by reading your post that you are a very conscientious instructor. This quality will take you far. You have already tuned in to what worked, what didn't, and set up a plan of action to correct it. But even so, don't be surprised if you have another "rocky" class after making these changes. It takes time to shape and define your skills, style, and presentation. You are in the grooming stages, that's all. I found your first class experience to be a very normal one (even though you wish people wouldn't walk out....but unfortunately it happens and it won't be the first or last time). You were actually more prepared than you give yourself credit for. If that weren't the case, you would not have been able to define the areas that needed improvement so precisely.

Your observations of what you feel went wrong are very common occurances and have happened to me many times in the past. With each and every class you teach, you will get better. But unfortunately the only way to get better is to endure some unpleasent experiences that actually help hone your teaching skills, delivery, and performance.

And once you think you have it all down and know what its all about, your thrown a curve ball.....things like a new audience who needs it broken down at a whole new pace, or in a whole new way, or dislikes change, or simply doesn't care for the type of class, style of music, etc. The list goes on. You will never have all of the answers but one thing is for sure...you will get better with each curve ball and find YOUR way of doing things.

Over time, you will have years of classes under your belt, a long list of completed continuing education credits to your name and enough curve balls thrown your way to consider yourself an experienced, qualified and confident instructor. Once you have established that confidence, everything else seems to fall in place. You may not please everyone, or have your best class every day, but it won't shake you anymore because you know the difference now. You know what you are all about, capable of, and successful at. This confidence allows you to handle anything that comes your way with professionalism, poise and grace.

Welcome fellow instructor!
Best of luck and keep at it Connie!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.