Tai Cheng Anyone?

I've never tried Tai Chi, but I did work with a woman in her 50's that did it religiously. She was SUPER FIT. I mean this lady could jump rope for minutes and not even be winded. I truly admire her.

I find Eastern medicine (TCM), culture and civilization extremely fascinating. The program looks wonderful. I can see myself ordering this in the future.

I say YES, give it a go. I doubt you will regret it :)

Natasha

Last edited:
I purchased Tai Cheng and did it for about six weeks. It is different from any other type of workout system I own. This is all about improving your balance and flexibility. Each workout starts with a neural reboot and then you do Tai Chi. There are three different sequences each with six moves. In week one you will learn one move per day for sequence one (after you do the neural reboot). In week two you will string two moves together and in week three you will string all six together for the first sequence. Week four you start the second sequence, learning one move per day; week five string two moves together, week six string all six moves together. Week seven you learn the moves for the third sequence, etc. In week ten you start stringing the sequences together, by week twelve you will be stringing all three sequences (18 moves) together.
I really enjoyed the neural reboots (there are 4 different reboots), I have never foam rolled before and it really helped with my plantar fasciitis. I learned the first sequence with no problem, but got stuck on the second sequence got frustrated and quit. I am planning on going back to this series starting from the beginning. I don’t think this is something that will get you in shape, not like a Cathe workout. I see this as a supplementary workout, a good second workout for the day. I’m not sorry I purchased this series because it does work that area of the fitness I find myself neglecting balance and flexibility. Overall I think it is a good addition to anyone’s fitness library.

Hi Fitbyfifty, I'm curious how the workout helped your PF. I have a foam roller too. Are you finding that using the roller on your calves is helping the PF? I'm still on the fence about purchasing this series, although I think my body could use it.
I only have time to workout once a day and I usually prefer a good sweat.. Lol
Amy

str8shooter said:
Hi Fitbyfifty, I'm curious how the workout helped your PF. I have a foam roller too. Are you finding that using the roller on your calves is helping the PF? I'm still on the fence about purchasing this series, although I think my body could use it.
I only have time to workout once a day and I usually prefer a good sweat.. Lol
Amy

Good question! I have a foam roller and pf. Would love to know

The problem I always found with tai chi videos is that because you face the instructor, you are taught the moves backwards. In a live class you are behind your instructor and move with him/her. Does this video set have that same problem? If not, how do they accommodate for it?

Thanks!

The foam rolling sequences have you rolling your calves but also your quads. You roll your quads straight on and at a 45 degree angle. That is the killer move, I almost cried the first time I attempted this. But each time you roll your muscles release and this seems to help the feet. Each reboot adds another area to roll, back of thigh, shoulder, etc. The reboot has other stretches included, it’s not just rolling. My husband is a pilot, I have notice if he has had a long trip/day, he will do just the reboot to release his back.
Your right Eminenz2, the instructor is facing you, so at times it gets confusing because he is calling out queues for the right side but it’s your left, the mirror image thing. Boy do I wish all instructors would use Cathe’s queuing; it makes it so much easier to follow. There is a separate disc that shows each move separately from different angles, but you have to take out the disk your using put in the instructional disk, which is not chaptered, thus making it frustrating to learn the more difficult moves.
I don’t think this is an exercise series that will get you in shape like STS, Insanity, P90X etc. If that’s what you are looking for, this is not it. I use it as a warm up before a hard work out, or as a stretch on my off days. I have been interested in Tai Chi and thought this would be a good introduction to it, which it is; however, there is a big mental portion to Tai Chi that I was not expecting. You really need to concentrate; it’s kind of like yoga in that respect. Think of this as a program that will improve your balance and flexibility, not one that will make you buff.

Thanks for your detailed review FitbyFifty :). I will be using this workout as an evening workout to disengage from the day and workout those kinks from staring at a computer all hunched over. I do my Cathe/TF workouts in the early morning. I typically do yoga at night, but have been interested in tai chi for awhile and like to mix it up.

I have used the foam roller for my sciatica and you're right - the first few times you want to cry, then it starts helping so much, I'm looking forward to using it in this series in different positions.

Fitbyfifty, but if you move in a mirror image to what the instructor is doing (in addition to the incorrect cueing) you've learned the whole form backwards.

Eminenz2 your right again, and it gets worse because you do some moves on a 45 degree angle with turns. As I said, I got through the first series of six moves just fine, but in the second series the moves got more complicated and I got all confused. Thats when I got frustrated and gave up. Although today I had a great idea, I have a small portable DVD player, so I’m thinking of loading the first disc, which has each move filmed at different angles, on it and have my regular DVD player connected to the TV playing the workout of the day. If I get stuck and can’t follow the current instruction I can get a more detailed view on the portable DVD player. Why didn’t I think of that before?

ElleJay, I think this series is perfect for what you are describing. Tai Chi is different from any other workout that I have done. With other workouts, even yoga, when I’m done I’m a sweaty mess and spent. With Tai Chi, I’m a little warm and strangely energized, and I’m not even doing it right! Think how great it would feel if I got the breathing and flow down. That’s why I haven’t given up entirely on this series, I just put it away for now and will come back to it after I finish the Beast.

I very much enjoyed tai chi classes when I took them. I also took qi gong, which was quite a challenge.

I've heard tai chi called 'moving meditation'.

Moving meditation is a good description for Tai Chi, there is a definite mental aspect to it. When I do yoga I do find my mind wandering, but in Tai Chi there is so much to concentrate on, like am I equally balanced on both feet, are my arms moving at the same rate, what’s the next move; you can’t think about anything else.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.