Sugarless Mommas and babies 3/21-3/27

I hear you on the lack of sleep, melanie! I am struggling today. Caffeine water later today! John has just not been sleeping well. His hands are my enemy. I have to swaddle him to get him to sleep without sticking a fist in his mouth. I can't let him do that since he might cut his mouth and factor viii does not work in teh mouth, amylase breaks it down, and we would have to get amacar. Boo.
So, mel, just so you feel better about bad runs and poop! We were getting ready for family run last weekend and DH said he had to take care of bathroom business before we left. Jimmy told him he should just go in the plants like mommy does. My DH said to jimmy he had to do more than pee. Jimmy told him mommy takes a dump in the plants, so you can too, daddy. Awesome.
Also, yesterday, we were going into the rec center for jimmy's swimming lesson adn a 50ish woman was walking out with her gym bag. No joke, she tore off the HUGEST and LONGEST fart I have ever heard as she walked past us, and did not even bat an eye. SHe let that sucker fly into the wind. I wanted to go see if she was deaf or just incredibley confident (this coming from a mom who poops in yards).
Also, KEGEL everyone! If you are goign to do insanity, you need kegels! I have been bad the past week and had some issue with it during plyo jumps! So for your hubbies and for your insanity workout wear, Kegel. Off to have a bad run. I am tired and grouchy and amazed it is only 8 in the morning. 4am is unacceptable for children to wake up.

Awwww. I sound awful feeling good about all my friends challenges, don't I? :eek: It's just my selfish feeling of not wanting to be alone! :eek:

Christine, never thought about amylase breaking down the clotting factor. I wonder if they could give a protease inhibitor prior? Or if the clotting factor is injected, wouldn't it be systemic (bypassing first pass metabolism) allowing it to work in the mouth? Hmm. Very very interesting. That's going to be quite the challenge....and wait until he puts his FEET in his mouth! :eek::eek: Christine, I think you are one of the most classy women that I know. I have so much respect for you & the way you are mothering your boys. You are top notch!

Susan, I'm glad you liked sloppy joe recipe. Do you put on wW buns? The store has solid 100% thin bun circle thingies that I tried w/my mushroom burgers a few weeks back. They'd be awesome with that recipe. I'll have to get some. I think I'll make both in crockpot. I LOVE crockpot.

Lisa, how old is Reese now? Are you looking forward to getting back to work & the rhythm of life? Jen transitioned very well.....I'm still transitioning. It is true what they say....that you treasure your time with your kids MORE when you go back to work. It's a twisted blessing.

Precila, you working today?

Allision, you are a recipe machine!

Waves to all!!!!

Christine-your poop story gave me a much needed laugh. What was DH's response when Jimmy told him that you do more than pee in the bushes? Thanks for the kegal reminder. I've been awful about them

Melanie-Reese is almost 7weeks. I'll be returning to work at 8 weeks and then taking 4 weeks off in mid-june. I'm kind of looking forward to getting back to work, but it's not a job I love. I stay because 1) it's a job and with DH starting his own bus, one of us needs to make a little money and have insurance. 2) it's super flexible with having kids. Since I work in retail, there are plenty of hours in the day/week to get my hours in if the kids are sick or something. When day care is closed (which is a lot since the provider hs 21 days of vac), I can just work a weekend and be home with the kids when she's closed and not waste as many of my own vac days.

So far:
B-steel cut oats, strawberries, coffee, skim milk (300)
S-TVP w spinach and mozzarella, hersheys kiss (25)

Off to get Caden's first 'professional' haircut. Hope he isn't a terror!

Ugh. DH isn't home yet....he's doodle datteling and i"m all antsy ready to go for my run. Now I"m hungry & don't want to eat alot before my run, but scared that i won't have enough energy. Ugh. GET HOME ALREADY!!!

Lisa, how was Caden's haircut? You'll have to post pics. My Jadon was over 3 before he needed his first haircut. We have bald kiddos. It's amazing how many days off that providers get & you still have to pay them (and their fill in people). I'm glad DH doesn't get that! LOL What business is your hubby doing?

Susan, what r u doing today? More nookie? I wish I had desire, but I don't. No sense in doing kegals and strenghtening them muscles!

Jen, how's work?

Hey ladies! I'm curious too about Christine's DH's response to the poop story. :D I ate the fiber one pop tarts the other day. I LOVE them! They probably aren't the healthiest with all the sugar but it was MUCH better than the vending snacks they had to offer and at least I got fiber! Oh and what happened with the plyo exercises Christine? Are you peeing too??? :p

Melanie- You are an operation machine! Thank you again soo much! I sometimes forget that you have five children, two of them being twins because of everything you get done! You rock! You are not selfish at all! It's nice to know that we are not the only ones with the challenges we face. It's only human.

Lisa- That is great about your schedule and being able to work around the daycare closing. My boss is pretty lenient with our PTO and doesn't always crack the whip. As long as we are pretty close to our 80 hrs, she is happy. My job isn't always a 9-5 job so she knows that sometimes we may be over hours and some weeks may be short. Hope Caden had a good haircut!

Christine- What kind of blanket do you use to swaddle John? We found that the Parents choice waffle weave blankets from Walmart stretch REALLY good and wrap REALLY tight. James would look like a little sausage because we wrapped him so tight. We call those our "swaddle blankets" because the other types are too small. We don't even use the hospital ones anymore.

Work is busy today because we have more cases (unfortunately) and our Easter Egg Hunt tomorrow for the families and kiddos. I am also on call this weekend so this is my "working weekend" technically.

Oh and eats so far are:
B: egg beaters, eng muff, banana coffee (my old staple)
S: oatmeal and banana
L: Turkey sausage, peppers, onion in WW low carb tortilla and some Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness smoothie

Ok back to typing..... Waves to all!

i do not think dh believes still that i have to poop in bushes! i am so stealth, though!
mel- crazy about the amylase! yes, they can take amicar to counteract it, but it is a real nuisance. i have a stash for when we need it. feel like a pharmacy here. thank you for the flattery, i needed it today.
jen- i love the pop tarts as a sweet treat here and there. mmmm.
yes, peeing in insanity! heavy duty plyos will get your bladder in check fast! i totally peed my pants yesterday. good thing i mop late in the day.
ok, got to run, bbl!

Christine~ they put me on boatloads of Amicar after the babies were born. Had never heard of the drug until then & breastfeeding + the med were never studied. I think I took 36 tablets/daily. It's not absorbed well orally. lol

Jen~ yes, i make all my own sandwiches and I put spinich on ALL of them. :)

Menu:

B: steel oats, 1/2 banana, walnuts, coffee
S: 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup black olives, 2 lactation cookies, chocolate milk
L: full tuna salad sandwich, low fat cheddar, spinich, rye bread, choc milk
S: guacamole & carrots
D: chicken, veggies, brown rice, chocolate milk
S: 2 lactation cookies, milk

Workout: 5 mile run, 2 mile walk............I found an awesome figure 8 run by my house!! I'm going to be running this on Sunday for my long run. I felt so strong today. :)

Melanie-My day care provider actually takes all of those vac days unpaid. Her only paid days off are holidays. We LOVE her...serves food like whole wheat pasta, is Christian focused (when Caden needed stitches, they all prayed for him at lunch :) ), and has an educational curriculum.

Caden had a bit of a difficult time with his haircut. He was super shy and clingy. DH had to hold him during the entire cut! He looks like such a big boy. I'll try to get a pic on facebook sometime. We stopped at the liquor store on the way home to get some beer. I'm trying it for the boobies. I picked up Blue Moon, as was recommended and also Mich Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry. YUM! It's a small fruity taste to the beer and only 100cals. Melanie, you should give it a try. I hate beer but like this!

Christine-You can afford to leak on your floor...you can hire someone for only $50 to clean that up and your whole house! :)

L-Chicken breast w/sweet potato, spinach. Mich Ultra (hey...it's "medicine" :) ), 1/2 c pudding (500)
S-Protein shake, apple (200)
D-???

whew..Im gone for a few hours and ya'll have a chatfest!
Been cleaning and playing with H and K...ran to the grocery too.

Melanie-I was so excited to see the sandwich round thingies a few months back..bought some and then realized they had sucrolose in them:(...they are the Natures Own brand and even says "all natural"...pooey! I ate the lentils on a ww toasted pita pocket..was yum! Anything Fiber One makes gives me the worst gas. fiber one bars are knows as "toot bars" at my house!

Im gonna have to try Blue Moon beer. Im a cheap drunk and only like beer!

Christine your poop story cracked me up girl and the lady farting..too funny!

bb to finish..H and K are paging me!

Susan- You are my kinda girl! I'm a beer girl too. Wine on occasion.

Mel- Can you send a sandwich in the package? :p

Christine- Maybe I'll just buy a diaper and wear that with my sports bra while doing Insanity!

I am so sabotaged at work. One of my best girls found out she is preggo so here come the sweets in the office and the bad food. She is my partner "health nut" so I think I am losing her. :( She says no but we will see....At least I will know just how strong I am. There are cupcakes in the office now and I am getting ready to eat an apple. :D

You can resist Jen!!!! Cupcakes are icky! In college I drank so much Crown that the thought of any liquior makes me queasy lol...just give me beer!

Melanie-if not for lovin, kegal so you wont pee on yourself :D You and your dh just need to get down to business!! Once you get started you both will get into it..a year is far too long! Hope you had a nice run!

K is napping, house is clean...whew..Haley really helped me out today with Kara. Just in the past few days Kara has become very clingy and gets upset when I am not around..the second she sees me she is fine. We tried oatmeal last night instead of rice and she liked it much better! Rice just seems so non nutritional..I would rather her like oatmeal...does that make sense?? And Im starting with the blandest non sweet veggies..hopefully she'll aquire a taste for it..unlike Haley..that child would live off sugar if i let her.

I have decided to take one week off from meso 1 and do 2 full body weight workouts next week ( we are leaving Thrusday for Miss) then Monday the 5th do Meso 1 again for 4 weeks.

Jen- we hhave tried every swaddling blanket out there and he can get out of all but one! The mira le blanket is what we are using and I am real pleased with it.
Mel- I saw on fb that things are not ok at home/ parents. Did your dad get bad results?
I tracked your package and ups should deliver it today. Also, did you get your run in?
Lisa- your fb post is a riot. I meant to do clx and abs today but took a nap.
Took the kids to the mall to get pictures with the Easter bunny. Will. Post on fb later. I have been a real bear today. Poor Jimmy. I was real hard on him. Going to go lie down with him and scratch his back. Bbl!

Dad's tumor has enlarged & he has not responded to chemo or radiation...in fact his tumor is larger & irritated (inflammed). :( He is now definited terminal. Ugh. The most difficult part is listening to all the pain my mom is going thru & knowing that I can't hold her. They would not ask prognosis (time left) b/c they "can't live with a time bomb". He will have surgery to have a feeding tube put in so he doesn't starve to death & will continue with a different (less effectiive) chemo regimen to hopefully keep the tumor localized (and less pain). Urgh. :( I'm not sure what else to say right now....

What I want to do is go run the largest hills I can find as fast as possible. :eek:

Oh Melanie, I am so sorry to hear that about your dad. I understand that no words may comfort you right now but just know that we are here. ((HUGS))

Hugs, Melanie. Huge huge hugs. My mom dies of very fast spreading cancer when I was 8. I cannot imagine how much harder it would have been on me had I had a lifetime with her. I have 8 years under my belt, adn you have so many more. Thank goodness you have so much love and great memories, and ou can create them with your kids. I will run in your honor tomorrow. Shall I create a crazy goal, just in Melanie style? Lots of love. Drink a beer.

Oh, Melanie. I'm so very sorry about your dad's prognosis. I hope you'll be able to go visit him again soon, to spend a bit of time with both him and your mom.

Christine, I cannot believe that Jimmy told DH about your running pit stops!! What a riot! I'll post the cuke recipe. It's so easy, and so tasty.

Melanie, when I saw your mention of following DQ eating, my first thought was, "Huh? Dairy Queen?" LOL

Jen, on the jewelry front, I got lucky :) My kids' birthstones are diamonds and sapphires; my mom bought me a beautiful band that I wear with my wedding rings. The surprise from my aunt and uncle was icing on the cake! You can resist your coworkers treats and cravings; just think -- SHE will have to lose the weight when she's no longer pregnant!

Susan, I hope the showing went well today. I made the lentil soup recipe from Giada today. It's delicious. I like my lentil soup to be thick, with the lentils broken down, so I simmered longer than stated. I added a dash of cayenne and a 1/2 tsp of savory as well. Yum!

Lisa, what is your name on Facebook? I'm not very faithful with checking it, but I'll send you a friend request! As for working retail, I agree -- the flexibility in hours is a great perk. I was a manager at the Limited right out of college. It made job hunting for a "real" job much easier, since my "weekends" were during the week.

Hi, Priscilla!

Drew wasn't very interested in napping today. Sigh. But I awoke with a start at 8:50; had to make sure Drew was still breathing LOL Had to wake up Ella too. If only every morning could be luxurious in the sleep dept :)

I think I got this from Fitness magazine, many many moons ago.

ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD

2 cucumbers, peeled, cut lengthwise, seeded and sliced into thin half moons (about 2 cups) (I just use 1 English cucumber, skin intact)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (I use plain or seasoned)
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsps sesame seeds (I like to toast them)

In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds; toss well to coat. Cover and chill for 20 minutes before serving.

Serves 4.

Per serving: 57 cals, 2 g protein, 7 g carbs, 2 g fat, 1 g fiber

For you cuke lovers...
I got this recipe from the Weight Watchers boards in 2001. I add shredded, cooked chicken to make it a full dinner for us.

NOODLES IN SOY SESAME SAUCE

2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
4 cucumbers, peeled and julienned
3 cups hot, cooked vermicelli or rice noodles (I use Barilla Plus or Whole Grain spaghetti)
6 scallions, green part only, chopped

Prepare sauce: in small bowl, combine soy sauce, oil, sugar, and vinegar.

In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, vermicelli, and sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with scallions.

NOTE: The heat from the cooked pasta releases some of the water from the cucumbers, so though the sauce may not seem like enough, it is for us. I've also added shredded cabbage to this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.