Suffering with ADULT ACNE any suggestions for me????????

intensitylisa

Cathlete
:) Hi all! I have suffered with acne since the age of 10. I am 42 now and I get these horrible spells especially around that time of the month when I get these huge cysts on my face. Have any of you suffered from this and any suggestions you may have would be of great help! Thanks! :p

Lisa, I was diagnosed with Adult acne at age 30. I was prescribed with Retin-A for the cysts on my jawline. I have a very oily complexion and the Retin-A has worked wonders for the last 18 years...:)

I have suffered with Acne for most of my life. I spent my 20's and most of my 30's just thinking it was something I could do nothing about. Then, I went to the dermatologist and have had success with the various topical and oral medications.

I am so sorry. Acne can be miserable!! That is from someone who KNOWS. I went back so many times to a dermalologist...I think I owned his office. The doctor did not even diagnose me as having Rosacea until quite late. I ended up diagnosing myself. Acne drugs were making things worse. The dermatologist finally gave me light therapy. (Omnilux I think) That REALLY helped. I also found out that caffeine was a trigger. I still have to limit my caffeine. (I can still get away with one cup of coffee...but not more) Unfortunately different things work for different people. My advice is to go with the best dermatologist you can and get one you can REALLY talk to...someone that will work with you. You will find the answer!!

Hi! My story is basically the same as Carole's -- cystic acne on the jawline starting in my late 20s/early 30s (I'm 41 now) that I've been able to control with Retin-A. My dermatologist wasn't sure that using a topical alone would work, but it has, for years.

Good luck in your search!
Allison

I tried everything including anitbiotics, stuff the dermotologist prescribed to put on my face, every over the counter skin care regime as well as proactive, Murad, Clinique, Este Lauder, Origins, Mary Kay, and the list could go on and on. I discovered Paula's Choice skin care a few years ago. My skin has never looked better. I researched and read on Paula's site and picked the products I thought fit my skin type. I started out by reading about what products she put in her kits for acne prone skin. My hubby said he would work two jobs if he had to to keep m in the stuff (he wasn't being ugly, but we were remembering all I went through) and basically I was telling him how this skin care had worked miracles on my skin. Check it out:
www.paulaschoice.com

My skin is not perfect but WAY better and I used to have cystic as well as regular acne and I broke out on a regular basis. I've had awesome results with this skin care line. Good luck!
Angela:7

I have dealt with cystic acne over my cheeks, chin and forehead since I was 11; I'm now 30. I have logged many, many hours in the dermatologists office! The two things that work for me are Benzamycin gel (a topical antibiotic) used twice daily, and ProActiv Solution. I used the Benzamycin for years with great success, and decided to try Proactiv just for the heck of it a few years ago. I have not had even one breakout in the last three years! Even right before my period I'm still clear. It's amazing.

We're all so different though, and hormonal acne is the worst to deal with. Go to the dermatologist and see what they have to say.

RE: Suffering with ADULT ACNE any suggestions for me???...

I developed adult acne in my late 20s/early 30s. I'm 33 now. After trying a variety of OTC products including Proactiv and Paula's Choice, I finally went to a dermatologist last November. We tried different routes: antibiotics, Retin-A Micro and other topicals. None worked for me. Ultimately, I made the (not light) decision to do Accutane. I finished the course of treatment in August and am happy to say I have the skin of my early 20s. Smooth and breakout-free.

I second the advice to go to a dermatologist for this. Know that hormonal acne is tricky and it may take some experimentation. Each person's skin is different and yours will not necessarily respond to the same treatment that worked for someone else.

Good luck! I think anyone who's responded here knows what it's like to deal with this painful and embarrassing problem as an adult. Not fun! I hope you find the solution soon.

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Hi! Sorry to hear about you having to go through this....it really stinks! I had a baby in 2005 and in 2006 my face went crazy for the first time. Off to the derm I went and she prescribed BenzaCline (benzoyl perxoide) and Differin (similar to ret-a) and so far it has worked out well. My biggest issue was with the cleanser she wanted me to use which was cetaphil (sp?), I personally do not feel it gets your skin clean enough and removes all your make up. I am now trying the neutrogena cleaner which is ok, still not sold on this. Best thing to do is go and see a derm, and get a program worked out for you. Best of luck to you!

I also suffered from acne since I was young. I tried everything from holestic cures to ProActive. It would not be so bad if it was just acne but it was that horrible cystic stuff that takes forever to heal and you can not cover with make-up. If I would eat a clean Vegan diet and use tea trea oil products it would help but I still always had acne. I tried most products such as Proactive and they did not help much either.

I was talking a close family member who had the same problem and she said RetinA was the only thing that helped her. She also suffered from it her whole life and she finally tried RetinA in her 30s. I may be wrong on this but from what I understand is that the type of acne that I had was caused by extra wacky hormones and anything over the counter is not going to work for that. Since I have been on RetinA I still have to watch what I put on my face. I still can only use certain brands of mineral make-up and have to watch to make creams and things are not "heavy" but even if I do use the wrong product and break out is normal acne that heals in a few days not that horrible cystic stuff.

Also since I have been on Retin A it has been a lot less taxing on my wallet. I use the generic version and my insurance covers it so tube only costs around 8 dollars and lasts me five months. Before I was spending at least 50 dollars a month on this product or that product with only okay results.

I do not mean to sound like a drug company ad or anything but Retin A has really helped me:)

I just want to chime in that even though my skin breaks out, I need a moisurizer in the winter. I finally found one that works -- it is a gel, it's called Beyond Hydration, made by Bioelements. You can do a search to order it on-line and some salons have it. Can't buy it in a drug store. It's wonderful. Not greasy at all and now I don't have red, chapped cheeks in the winter.

Make sure you are getting essential fatty acids. Flax seed oil (swallowing it, not topically) has done wonders for my skin. I really think cystic acne is related to something internal, so external products don't help all that much. They are reactionary and who wants to deal with those painful cycsts after they have already shown up?

Watch your eating. Even breakfast cereal makes me break out because it is so processed, it makes your blood sugar shoot up, not good for your system, causes inflammation. EVEN HEALTHY BREAKFAST CEREAL LIK RAISIN BRAN AND KASHI CRUNCH. The only thing breakfast "cereal" wise that doesn't is oatmeal and fruit (no syrup, no sugar). Or eggs for breakfast, that type of thing. Make sure you are eating low glycemic. Almonds.

You also might check out "The Perricone Prescription" book by Dr. Perricone. It is about dealing with acne. It is amazing what changes in diet do. I am sure you are eating healthfully, but there may be little changes you can make that might make a big difference.

Lots of water too.
HTH
Jen

I can commiserate here. I developed hormonal acne in my late 30's--big, deep suckers along the jawline. Not the best self-esteem booster. Anyhow, I don't take pharmaceuticals, so I just thought I'd live with it. After a miscarriage at 41, my skin went bezerk and got even worse.

Well, I'm pregnant again, and my skin has become miraculously petal smooth and clear. Hallelujah!

One of the best moisturizers I have found for adult acne is Neem Oil. It's an oil used in India for centuries. In fact, it's the only oil you can put on your skin if you're prone to acne. I love it; it's both antiseptic and soothing. I have found that apart from pregnancy, Ayur-veda herbs and skincare work the best. There is a great Ayur-veda skin spa in Manhattan that I would highly recommend for anyone suffering skin trouble who lives nearby. (I live in Kansas, but visit once a year). You can find out more at www.pratimaskincare.com I buy products through this spa, and I find them to be more mild and better than anything else I've tried.

Good luck. I know how aggravating this problem can be.
Manmohini

Tazorac helped my acne a lot. It's like topical accutane. However, it does sting like crazy and makes your skin peel A LOT. For me, it is worth the side effects.
Lorrie

paulaschoice.com has been a lifesaver for me. Saw a doctor and tried murad, proactiv and unblemish and I still broke out, especially around TTOM. I don't know what it is about paulaschoice products but they work very well for me. I still have occasional breakouts but nothing like I was having.

HTH

Kim

I don't have any suggestions for you, but wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat. I'm 38 and have tried everything. I had a baby in 5/05 and since then my skin has really gone crazy. I made an appt. with a dermatologist back in August and cancelled it, only because I'm still nursing a little and knew that that may hinder me from using some products, but I'm thinking of going again and just doing whatever I can.

It's frustrating to deal with wrinkles and pimples at the same time. UGH!!!:-(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.