Styles and Fads from Decades gone by

Circa 1989: long hair w/ the bangs sticking way up on our heads. My sisters and I did that and our Dad called it the Highty High School doo.

@112toGuru...those 70's jeans are coming back. I saw some at Ann Taylor Loft a couple weeks ago. They have the high waist and everything.

NOoooo! nada on the high waist, worst part of fashion for women IMO...
the ones I got are more like "traditional" hip huggers, (not crotch huggers:mad:) remember hip huggers?

My tan pants from the 70's had big foot prints on them, I think I'll skip that part this time, I mean I was like all of 13....:eek:

Why am I drawing a blank on this? It's probably something I did but am not familiar with the term "peg"...what is this???

It's hard to explain and it was kind of an "art". You basically pinched the bottom of your jeans leg at one corner and folded the pinch over and then rolled the jeans up twice really tight. Looked awful but was so "cool" for some reason.

I totally forgot about the baby doll dresses!

It's hard to explain and it was kind of an "art". You basically pinched the bottom of your jeans leg at one corner and folded the pinch over and then rolled the jeans up twice really tight. Looked awful but was so "cool" for some reason.

AHAH! I know exactly what you are talking about now! LOL I did that all the time!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ah, yes, the Jordache jeans. I was so proud of my first pair. I think it was in 5th grade for my birthday.

Nikes were big and then for a time it was Reebok...the bright hi-tops. I had bubble gum pink.

Leggings, stirrups, big belts, geometric patterns, paint splash patterns, neon, disastrous hair which required Ozone-killing amounts of Aquanet, banana clips, shoulder pads, Ray Ban style shades, legwarmers, slouchy socks, fingerless gloves...

We were also into buttons you'd put on your purse or jacket.

I remember the boys went through a Miami Vice stage. Vans were big with the guys, too.

One of the weirdest trends around here was that if you wore sweat pants, you pulled 'em up so that your calves showed. This look would probably be paired with a half shirt. Don't guess my state. LOL

Funny, most of this stuff is back now. Last summer, I bought a pair of Steve Madden jellies. Never thought I'd embrace that particular trend again!

You brought back some good ones. I forgot about the shoulder pads. I would cut them right out as soon as I bought a new top.

Remember all the big permed hair and the dark line of blush across our cheeks? :rolleyes:

Ugh, the perms! And I used to tease my bangs and spray it in anticipation of category 5 winds.

I don't think I did the blush thing, but I did line the rims of my eyelids with eyeliner. I was also very big into flavored lip glosses and balms. Remember Lip Lickers? The ones that came in the little tin with the sliding top. Ah, the memories.

I grew up in the 80s - Remember coloured jeans- like green and pink? And jeans with racing stripes down the side? And one long earring and one short earring. BIG shirts with leggings. Big shoulder pads on everything - especially on the Miami Vice blazers everyone wore. Tight jeans - but high waisted. Not much cleavage, skirts weren't sky-high on the thigh, but there still managed to be lots of sex appeal! Those strange shirts with the sort of yoke across the top and puffy sleeves. And of course- the Madonna lace half-gloves and (eventually) bare midriffs. Hair was all about big big big- and the spiral perm was god. Eventually everyone discovered faking baking that decade and there were a lot of oddly brown Canadians in the middle of winter with spiral perms. A high school dance never went by without playing Billy Idol's Mony Mony (and everyone shouting "get laid get *****" with every chorus).

I still remember my grade 12 Christmas dance outfit (it was my birthday and I met a boy I liked at the dance too!) It was a huge black sweatshirt made of canvas material and a long tight black skirt. You know what? I loved that outfit and I still think I looked great! It wasn't really fashionable, but I never dressed with the fashions. I had an offbeat sense of style that made me stand out in a small high school. I'd love to say I was too fashion forward and that eventually the world caught up, but I am still waiting for that. I would wear long pastel skirts with very wide bottoms with puffy white tops and short red boots. I would starch the skirts so they would stand out. I still love those outfits and wish I had them today - one skirt in particular stands out. When I would twirl while dancing it would do this lovely kind of wave around me, because it was made of panels. Sigh... I also had a pair of puffy black trousers but that was tight around the hips that I would wear with a tuxedo shirt- man, those pants looked great on me!

So nostalgic for my 80s clothes, awful as they were...

This was a fun thread! I miss late 80 s. I dressed lile Cindy Lauper n madona i was heavier then i am now. I really didnt care to change it i said i did but i was not in unserstanding how big i was lol.
I remember going to high school dances and actualy dancing. Boys n girls. I remember skating to the song endless love at 13 with a guy that made my heart skip, still,would if i saw him today! I spoke the valley girl talk and what was funny are high school we was valley high lol. I miss the days like this! So fun. I think that generation new how to have fun yet kept it clean for the most part. I did sneak n smoke cigs. Or we went in bathroom wet tolit paper n throw it on ceiling! Hum why did we do that .? I nevet understood y i did it but i thought i was doing sometning really bad. Lol.

Last edited:
Totally embarrassing, but I had a sun visor (remember those?) I wore all the time that said "Gag me with a spoon" across the front. Mortifying :eek:. I wore it everywhere. To match my pegged pants, of course.

Lol oh my i remember that! I also remember pegged pants but u know i think thoae are like todays skinny jeans.. But i remember i pegged my pants myself! Dont know how i did it but i did sow it bu hand!
What about tube socks with stripes at top and a comb on the sjde of the sock? Wow. Thats funny stuff.

I loved to tease my bangs to get that waterfall look, slouch socks, those round plastic clips to fish your shirt tail through, and spandex pants. This would be a typical outfit.

Oh the teased bangs....what were we thinking?! ;-)
And the pegged jeans....why didn't someone stop us?
Oh, those were the days....

Kathryn,
I remember paper dresses!!! In the late 60s when Laugh-In was so popular with Goldie Hawn and Judy Karn! I had a Twiggy paper doll (do they even make paper dolls anymore?) and it came with a matching paper dress. I'd wear it with my little go-go boots and tell people I was "Mod"! ;)
As far as the 70s goes, in 9th grade (1976) I was rail thin and couldn't fit into the Levis with the orange tag on the back pocket that everyone wore. My mom would buy me Montgomery Ward's jeans in a boys size 10 slim (they'd come up to my mid shin) and attach legs from my brother's old jeans onto them with groovy studs :cool:. Then she'd sew on the orange tag! They were so tight I'd have to lie on the bed and put a hanger through the zipper hole to pull them up! They'd leave stiching impressions on my legs and butt when I took them off! God Bless my awesome mom for helping me fit in!
Nancy

What an awesome story! :)

In the 80's my sprial perm hair with the big bangs. My kids laugh at me everytime they see photos! Good old times!

I would peg my jeans today if that came back!

I remember having a pair of Guess jeans that had a zipper on the bottom because they were so tight you couldn't get your foot through. Loved those jeans....I bet I still have them somewhere.....

In the 70's I had Ditto's brand gaucho's. Is that how you spell it? They weren't culottes because culottes weren't cool. Had to be gauchos.

Dr. Scholls wooden sandals. Beach Combers.

In the 80's I had striped jeans and printed jeans. Only the coolest girls had the Calvins and the Jordache jeans. And those high-heel clogs. Oh, how I wanted high-heel clogs.

I was, and actually still am, a Fashion Challenged Dork. It's true. You can ask my siblings. I have pictures of me with pieces of fat yarn tied around my neck - semi-ascot style.

Oh my! I use to love my Ditos!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.