STS Round 2 AND Hunger

smile_laughter

So, I haven't posted in Cathe forums before - newbie here. I am trying to spend some time on the forums and learn more about her online workout tools.

Background info:
I've been doing Cathe's workouts (Power Hour was my favorite before I came across STS) for years now, life got in the way of my workouts for a few year, now I am back with a vengeance. I am currently down 15 lbs and am looking to lose another 10 lbs and decrease my waist size.

Round 2:
I am on my last 4 dvds of STS and am in love with this program. I am wanting to do it again with some tweaks (add in more cardio and ab workouts). Any suggestions on a new rotation that involves STS and other workouts? Again, my goals are to lose fat and increase in strength/tone. I am spending some time on Cathe's website looking at her different suggested rotations, but I'd love to hear from some of you about this.

Hunger:
I joined MyFitnessPal in July and have lost 15 lbs. But, since I have started STS, I am STARVING all the time. I know that with heavy lifting programs, you should increase protein. Did anyone else find that they had an increase in hunger? I can't find anything about recommend caloric intake while doing this program, and I know there is info out there.......I am blind and can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I decided to stop trying to lose weight while doing this program and just focus on maintaining while trying to tone and increase muscle. I figure that the fat will start to disappear while I increase muscle, and it's ok if my weight stays the same......it's all about how the clothes fit and dropping the fat. Right?

I am sure that the answers to the above are in the forums somewhere, but I am a little overwhelmed reading all the threads and decided to just start my own thread. =).

If anyone reads this.....thank you for your time! If anyone responds to this, then THANK YOU for your time. =)

When I did sts, I was trying to gain weight so I'm no help, but I think when doing heavy lifting you need to fuel up! Your body composition will change but unless you take in enough protein to fuel muscle growth and enough carbs to fuel the long workouts, the program won't accomplish all that it can. I had tremendous strength gains with the program and body shape change, but I ate like a T Rex!! I tried to get 200 grams of protein a day, and that would probably be overkill for most of the ladies of the forums, but I needed that much to grow. I think it would be easier to use another program to cut weight AFTER. bulding muscle with sts. Congratulations on doing sts...ain't easy!! Best of luck smile_laughter, sounds like you got this!

My 2 cents on this is eat optimally enough to fuel your hunger demand without overeating. Regardless of the calorie allowance
you were consuming before embarking on STS, 150 or 200 kcal more should be enough IMO.

One would easily blame a muscle building program while not being on top of the nutrition and/or facing poor body image.
My piece of advice is:

• Have a plan according to your own goal and body type. We are all different!
  • Track your nutrition, there is no harm doing so!
  • Try not to listen and read the "bulking" myth debate from previous posts:confused::confused:, Trust me there is so many expertise shared on this!:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::eek::eek: --/-- On this forum.
  • Complete the program without favouring any meso cycle.
  • If you eat correctly you will gain strength, muscles without budging the scale.
  • 2 pound more on the scale is just weight fluctuation, there is no need to panick!
I have been on STS many time. Gained best result while tracking nutrition and did not gain weight! --/-- I was on about 2000 kcal not the ridiculous twelve hundred!:mad::eek::eek:
ATB:);)

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I am definitely eating around 1800-2000 calories, and I track what I eat. I try to only eat nutrient rich food (veggies, lean proteins, healthy fats, etc). I definitely gained muscle and strength while doing this (only 2 disks left), and I love how my clothes are starting to fit again.

Again - thanks for your input.

Great program, thinking about another round myself. May have to modify some things to save wear and tear on joints and tendons and DEFINITELY will skip mes 1....not into sets of 20!! Lol!

Just my two cents here. In Phase 3, I upped my protein intake much more and consumed just slightly more calories. The results...I actually lost a few pounds and gained wonderful muscle definition! I know lots of people think lifting heavy will make you bulky (oh, that dreaded word!), but if you get the nutrition right, it can do wonders for your physique.

Great program, thinking about another round myself. May have to modify some things to save wear and tear on joints and tendons and DEFINITELY will skip mes 1....not into sets of 20!! Lol![/QUOTE]

I know what it is like to want a STS round badly when a muscle group or joint is letting you down. Hang in there Tom.
Take it easy for now and you will be up and running 100% soon;);)
I am with you on that. shoulder is getting better. I lifted my first 5kg for biceps doing hamercurl and all I was thinking is
take it easy ---/--- You do not want to exacerbate your shoulder impingement. It is getting better now. I can't wait
to restart STS.

Just my two cents here. In Phase 3, I upped my protein intake much more and consumed just slightly more calories. The results...I actually lost a few pounds and gained wonderful muscle definition! I know lots of people think lifting heavy will make you bulky (oh, that dreaded word!), but if you get the nutrition right, it can do wonders for your physique.

Tell me about the dreaded word Jodi. In fact, I can't stand the word!;);):rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:
The below 12 hundred kcal philosophy does not support muscle building at all. It just does not make sense whatso!!ever:cool::oops::oops::eek:

In fact one would go bonkers and hit a bric wall pursuing muscle building goal --/-- gaining definition;)

Oh well here below is an article From Brutal hilarious Pauline;)

http://fighterdiet.com/blog/athletes/building-strong-physique/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building a strong physique is to me a symbol of self empowerment
Muscles are carved from the grueling work put upon it.

Over time the work evolves to a masterpiece.

To do this discipline and patience, dedication and commitment are required.

Being strong on the outside requires strong on the inside.

A lot of women with severe eating disorders are drawn to me and my concept and it's my role to educate you on the consequences of starving yourself long term.
So let's talk about it for a bit.

If you want to eliminate all body fat until all you see are bones and skin you will have a higher body fat percentage than someone who's heavier with muscle and more body fat.

How come? Muscles do NOT stick around in that kind of environment.

There's NO WAY you can build lean muscle when you're severely underweight and deprive yourself of nutrients.
When your body weight is very low you will not be able to lift heavy weights which means your bones mineral content decreases substantially. You risk getting osteoporosis at a very young age.

Since your fat intake is extremely low you're starving your brain from essential fatty acids. You become stupid over time.

Not eating enough calories suppresses your thyroid. Your metabolism drops
Since you don't eat enough fat you won't be able to absorb vitamin D and if you don't absorb vitamin D you can't absorb calcium and magnesium. Vitamin K is required as well and it's fat soluble. You're not getting any of it. No matter how many pills of calcium you take it will not be absorbed from the intestine.

When you're starving and over exercising your cortisol levels will be chronically elevated. Cortisol too breaks down muscle mass and bone mass
Since your brain knows you're starving it will tell your ovaries to shut down hormone production. This leads to a menopausal state. Low estrogen levels and even lower testosterone levels escalates bone loss.

Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies due to malabsorption from inadequate nutrient intake from FOOD can cause you kidney failure. You know how hard it is to get a new one?....

Fuzzy hair allover your body is a natural attempt by your body to stay warm. Since it's too blond and peach like it will not be removable with laser.

Since your adrenals are spitting out adrenaline to keep you awake to go feed yourself you will lack important recovery. If you now medicate yourself with sleep meds guess what happens? You'll poison your liver who can't detox properly with a lack of nutrients from FOOD.

You'll likely lose your thick hair and thick nails go brittle.

You can get blood sugar issues similar to those with type 2 diabetes.

The list goes on. is it worth it? I hope you know what you're choosing and get professional help

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#justsaying;)#

Last edited:
Great advice given on this thread! Here is what I do when I'm hungry from lifting, I eat approximately 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil off the spoon, or put it in my coffee/tea/smoothie. Can also use a MCT oil which is a more targeted source of C-6 through C-10 carbons. Don't count these calories, they aren't going to store up as fat, the liver burns lauric acid as energy, plus it kills the *thungries* . I don't like counting calories anyway. I have a pretty set way of looking at food, and am more interesting in my burn calories from working out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.