STS first time!

Hello everyone,

I was really busy last week and couldn’t seem to find the time to check-in with everyone. So now you get a SUPER DUPER long post. Sorry!

This morning I did Disk 7. I was feeling pretty good about doing the first couple of sets of push-ups on the toes along with Cathe and the gang, but then… dang! How many sets of push-ups can one girl put into one workout? That felt like about 200 push-ups. And forget the “Elmo” style on the ball. I think I did about 4 of those before I felt like I was going to fall on my face. Man, oh man! I *do* feel stronger though. And today and I did the extended stretch. It felt SO good. I couldn’t fit it in at all last week and I think my body missed it!

Hi Si! Are we abandoning the other thread you started? :) that would be okay with me because I can barely keep up with this one! My period hit yesterday and I sure didn’t want to get up this morning, but, of course, I’m glad I did now that it’s all done. Oh and that move with the getting up out of the chair on one leg in Disk 6 – yeah, I was laughing. How the heck does she do it with weights?! I could barely lift myself with nothing. Wow! Killer!

Hello! I keep getting busy too and then leave these crazy long posts. I'm trying this quote thing that I've seen the other ladies do. I hope it's not annoying. Just easier for me to back track...

OMG, the ELMO's. I did them on my knees and I was shaking so bad I thought I'd fall over instantly!!! I somehow got through them. Crazy. My biceps and chest were so sore and I am not yet on my toes with all of those crazy pushups. I'm definitely feeling stronger! Today I did Back and Biceps and the intensity wasn't quite right, which confused me, b/c the last 2 weeks were pretty hard. I'm loving how Cathe keeps some of the same exercises each week but changes up the order and adds something new. I don't get bored!

Ok, it's getting late, so I"m about to get to bed.

Good Night!

Hello! I did not want to get out of bed again this morning, and finally made it out around 5. I started doing Slide and Glide, but found that my rug is just not big enough to do this workout without constantly moving the rug around, so about 10 minutes into the cardio I gave up and popped in CrossFire instead. WOW! Loved it! It is a very hard workout (and I was going like 50-75% because I had not previewed the workout and didn't want to get hurt) and it's a very good leg toner (Si, are you reading this? :))
Have a great day, ladies!

Thanks for the recommendation Meredith! I'm going to have to add CrossFire to my list now too!!! The list is piling up ladies!!! I'm soon going to be like all of you and I can't wait! :)

Hello All!

Quick check in as I've been MIA the last few days, busy with cooking classes and prepping for my Seaweed 101 Retreat this weekend. I just posted replies to some of you individually so I hope that wasn't annoying. I'm laughing because I keep saying good night and then I find another post I need to reply to, lol.

Week 3 is going great. I'm getting stronger. Today, I did Triceps and Shoulders and barely broke a sweat, which concerned me. I think I got alot stronger or something and need to adjust my weights yet again. I find it odd that I did the 1RM testing and the first 2 weeks some of the weight was too heavy, some too light and now many of the exercises where too light. I'm hesitant to change my 1rm b/c I know that you work at a higher percentage as the program goes on and am wondering if I should just stick with the lighter weight for next week or If I should adjust my weights next week. Have any of you had this happen? Anyway, I'm loving STS and will post back soon.

Carolyn, thanks for always encouraging me with legs. I really need it. Marie, great pics!

I hope you all get some great workouts in and enjoy your week.

Good Night!

Thanks Jean! I will do so. It's helpful to hear your experience. I did all the upper body 1rm testing so it is confusing to me. Enjoy your day everyone. I'll be doing cardio today (hit) and abs, tomorrow is week 3 legs and then I leave early fri morning for the seaweed harvesting trip I lead and won't be back until sun evening. I hope to get home in time for my week 4 workout but the gym closes at 7. So if I miss this sun, I'll be starting week 4 on mon next week. I prob won't be able to check in until next week bc I have so much prep to do. If I don't get a chance have a great weekend and grt job on everyone's hard work and motivation to be healthier! :)

I'm home, and it's a gorgeous day!

I must have been so tired that I totally forgot to mention that I went on the hotel treadmill last night for 65 minutes! I only walked, but on an incline. I am a novice to treadmills (could have hurt myself), and I was so full from dinner, so I didn't attempt to run.

I'll give you gals credit for unknowingly pushing me to go use the hotel fitness center. I could picture a pregnant Marie, doing the stairs barefoot, on the day of being a wedding attendant, and that was my impetus!:D Or Missy, who works full-time, and works out 2x a day.:D And has barn chores!

I could have borrowed a hotel kit with dumbbells and a band, but I thought, yuck! As it was, I was eyeing the treadmill and thought of the untold germs lurking on the surface! Germophobe, anyone??

There was no dvd player in my room, even if I had thought to bring TF.

Today, I think I'll do an UB workout. Must. Do. Arms. For wedding I'm attending next month.:D

I don't feel safe doing Elmos any way but on my knees! I feel like I'd fall right off and break my arms! (Why are they called that?)

MARY, I hope you're still with us!

Si, does seaweed really help with eczema? I just read that in a mag. Have a fruitful harvesting trip!

Off to do some laundry and finish my lunch! Have a great day!

Hi all- Great job on all your workouts :) Work some for me too. I'm soooo tired lately. Trying to get motivated to do something at least but it's not happening as of yet. Reading baby books is way more relaxing right now. Hmmmm not much more to post since that's all I've done all day haha!

Late check in today!

I did AT today! It's been at least two months since I did it and then I read Betty did it this week and I was all..."Oh yeah! I need to do that one!" lol So thanks Betty! I always forget what a great well rounded workout that one is. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the tricep dips with the gliders. I tend to just omit the glider and do regular tricep dips off the step.

Tomorrow will be an HC day!

Great job doing legs Si and Jean! Keep it up! We're here to cheer you guys on! :D

Great job on doing Bootcamp today too Jean! That's another oldie of Cathe's that I have and have only done once...just like HST! I need to try that one again. I seem to remember some jumping jacks I didn't like, but now I have the rebounder so it should be good. I have the hardest time with regular jumping jacks for some reason. They are really tough on my knees and yet for some reason I can do plie jacks and even that low jack with the firewalker band she does in CrossFire. I always have some...ahem...pelvic floor issues when I do them, too. Darn kids ruined me there! :eek:

Carolyn- that sounds like such a great day you had! How fun is it to go back to old haunts like that? Every time I do that, I get so nostalgic. I'm not usually one to get nostalgia but every once in awhile I just can't believe how many years have gone by since I was in my teens and 20's. I still feel the same...like I'm still that age but I'm toooootally not! lol

Okay, gotta get supper on the table. Night girls!

I did ME, UB Split premix in the late afternoon. It was a change of pace from STS. It's difficult for me to be in the working out mindset in the summer (it's too hot!), but that one also had abs. I keep thinking I won't be sweating or huffing, but this is Cathe after all!

Colleen, I just remembered your comment about kettlebells. Naturally I was curious when these started becoming the rage. I bought a plastic-coated (not the greatest) kb last year and found a dvd that was comparable to a Cathe workout (well, not really:D). I usually hate to do anything other than Cathe, but sometimes I throw another instructor in there, but only in the summer though. I did DWTS dvds last summer, but have not pulled them out this year, since I need to catch up on all the Cathe workouts.

Carolyn, your day sounded so sweet! What a gorgeous day you had for it! Another place I've never been to, Lake Winnipesaukee. I've heard it's gorgeous. (A few yrs ago hubby and I felt the same way taking our kids to the ice skating rink we used to skate in as teenagers!) It was my first time using hotel fitness equipment! You gals give me the confidence.

I'm with you and feel like a whale. Why, oh why, did I give in to bites of the Dunkin' Boston Creme and Oreo donuts??

How do you think Cathe keeps her skin looking so good and taut? No flabbiness anywhere. I bet there's no sugar and white flour in her diet.

Marie, rest your body. You will not get a chance after the baby's born. Absolutely spoil yourself right now! Good luck tomorrow getting the keys! Congrats!

Jean, as of last week I had not found a pretty dress (so frustrating), so I ended up raiding my sis-in-law's closet and came away with the perfect one! Thanks for asking! And nice job on Boot Camp! That is a real toughie! (I really like the kickbox stuff in there.)

Better run!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, it's a "drive by check-in" for me. Sorry! I'll try to read up and post more tonight. I did Disk 8 yesterday and used a doorway pull-up bar. I can't lift my whole body weight so I used a chair and did those sort of leaning pull-ups and chin-ups. It was definitely better than the band but a forearm burner! I have to figure out the angle better I think. Today I did Step Blast and the STS Ab Circuits No Equipment Abs. I did not want to get out of bed today... again! Did you all hit a wall around week 3, or is it just my period, or just not enough sleep? I don't know, but I almost didn't get out of bed today. I didn't feel like eating before the workout, so I didn't. Then... lots of rewinding on Step Blast. It's been too long since I did that one and obviously hadn't done it enough to commit to muscle memory. Compared to CrossFire the other day, I'd say I burned maybe a 1/3 of the calories. I'll have to do this one again soon while it's fresh in my head... well, sort of fresh. The best part of the workout was the abs. So far, the Ab Circuits disk is a winner in my book. Well, here's hoping my day improves and everyone here has a great one! See you tonight (I hope)!

Hello girls!

Checking in with HC Volume 1 today. I was hit pretty hard with the monthly monster cramps this morning, though:confused:. I still got through okay on the workout despite that. I did try that progesterone cream this month (thanks Missy!). I just used it for about 10 days instead of the 14 just to see how it would work. I noticed that last week (the premenstrual week) was much better than it has been in recent months and my energy seemed better. I stopped it on Sunday and got my period today. Should I have kept using it this week Missy? I thought I'd try to just use as little as possible to sort of balance me out. It seemed to do the trick, I think:).

Speaking of- Meredith- I bet your fatigue is related to your cycle. I've had that problem for the past year or so and it seemed like it was getting a little worse with each month:confused:. Hopefully this cream will continue to work as well as it seemed to this month. Have you ever tried that? Although, I do know with STS getting lots of sleep and enough calories is important for keeping your strength up, too. It's amazing how sneaky heavy weightlifting is. You don't realize how hard your working until after the fact! ;)

Whoo hoo Carolyn for doing AB! I hate being hot or humid when working out though! It feels like it sucks all the oxygen out of the air! Have fun with hubby tonight!;)

Jean- too bad about the bee!:eek: I'm not a fan of flying insects...bees, gnats, mosquitoes even plain old house flies creep me out! So dirty! My sister used to be allergic to bees, too. When we were little we had to learn how to give her an adrenaline shot. Pretty scary for a little kid to have to learn that...luckily I never had to jab her with the needle though!

Betty- Cathe does have amazing skin, doesn't she?? It's probably all the usual suspects...avoiding too much sun exposure, drinking plenty of water, great non-inflammatory type diet, no smoking or excessive alcohol and getting lots of sleep. Those factors seem to be critical as we age. Of course, good genes help tremendously, too! Some people are just lucky that way!

Gotta run! ttyl

Good Afternoon. I have tryed to post all day....and kept getting interupted and then I clicked something and lost everything. So lets try this again. I have been swamped for 2 days. But, it looks like things are turning around.

Colleen---I too were hit with the monthly monster today. I had stomach cramps and didnt want to get out of bed this morning. So I only got to do 30 minutes. Looks like I will have to hit it hard tonight!!!! As for the cream....you should use it day 12-26 of your cycle. Try that next month and see what the difference is. Let me know. I am going to use it next month too. I planned on it this month but forgot!!!! So I already marked it on the calendar....start/stop cream!!! hehehe :p

Truck update......I am still in the monster truck. The part came in and the thread was incorrect (chinese crap) as my husband said. So we had to order another one. It is suppose to be in on Saturday. Hopefully I will have my truck back next week. I have gotten use to driving the beast, but miss my truck for sure.

So....have you ever thought...oh, I know someone, they are a clean person......and then you ride with them in there vechicle and now you think OMG, this person is a filthy pig!!! Well, this happended to me today. A girl at the office asked if I wanted to go eat lunch with her....so I thought, sure, why not? So she offered to drive...I agreed to ride with her......big mistake. I thought I was sitting in a garbage can. It was horrible. Now all I can think about is how dirty her house must be. There was only enough space for me to sit in the seat, and I am not a big girl!!!! Never again....is all I can say!!!!! She drives an SUV, there was not even a space in the back. Horrible!!! I never noticed because she always parked on the other side of the parking lot. Guess that's why. The bad thing is she was not embarrished at all. :confused:

Onto better subjects.....HST on schedule for tonight!!! Looking forward to it!!!

Gotta Run again. BBL!!! :)

Hey! Quick post from me. Just taking a cleaning break. Feels so good to actually have the key to our new place. Hoping to get most of the cleaning done today since I work day shift Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. I do have Tue off though and will finish up then. Then time to move in......YAY!!! Good job on the workouts chicas. Be back later :)

Do Cathe's monthly discounts get any better than 15% off (July's)? For one item only, I mean. I'm thinking of the topper... Oddly enough, when you search the site, the topper does not come up, but if you google 'high step topper', it brings you to Cathe's site.

Carolyn, enjoy date night! Your mom's grandkids outing sounds fun for the cousins!

Marie, how utterly exciting! Your very own place!

Jean, yikes, bees! Flying is right! My son is severely frightened of them!

Omg, the humidity! Shoot me already!

Last edited:
Catching up on posts now, in between dinner and laundry…

Missy, I have not done To the Max yet… could it work as a cardio option for STS? I must have missed your truck driving picture. I’m going to go back and look for it!

Carolyn, I had no idea jean jackets were back in style! I have to say, I think I’ll be passing on that trend :) I’m sorry you missed out on 4DS! I am in the minority here: I love the LIS/HIS disk! I’ve barely done the kick box/boot camp disk. You are cracking me up with your DOMS yes or no paranoia :) Score on the dresses! But I have to say, I am over 40 and wear shorts all the time. I didn’t get the memo (and I refuse to receive it) on that one. Very cool that you took your kids back to your vacation spot. Enjoy your kids free night!

Colleen, having a strong core makes SO many moves easier! Well, I’m thinking of push-ups and planks specifically, but really, just everything feels better when the core is tight. Okay, tell me more about this cream. I’ve never heard of it.

Betty, you opted for a 5 hour drive to Pennsylvania?! Wow! I already spend so much time driving, I couldn’t handle that! I am okay in my workout room, just have to clear out some of the kids’ toys and clutter in the corner. I have a couple of DWTS dvds too. They are fun! You gotta just bite the bullet and get that topper!

Jean, you are the sweetest! Thanks for the compliment! Sorry to have confused you and Colleen! Jean, have you moved on to books 2 and 3 of the “Fifty Shades” series. I read all 3 inside of 2 weeks and I’m re-reading them again for fun. Talk about a fantasy man! I am amazed at some of the stuff Cathe puts us through too :)

Marie, was your Tony loving all the compliments from the ladies? I can’t even believe you tolerate your roommates eating your food! I would deduct it from my share of the rent if I was in that situation. Unbelievable! Oh, and I still have pregnancy brain. Sadly, I’m not sure it ever goes away. I hope you are enjoying yourself. Life is going to get hard enough soon!

Si, I have never heard of chia seeds. Now I have to check them out. Good luck with the seaweed class. I’m not so sure you have to break a sweat with STS. Did you feel exhausted near the end of some of the sets? That’s how I gauge it. I write down “CGH” (could go higher) next to the exercises that weren’t high enough. Then I compare notes the next week if that exercise is part of the program. Maybe you just had an exceptionally strong day ;)

Okay, my son is calling for me. See you tomato!

Good morning, all! Just finished Circuit Blast. I know I didn't give it my all because of this *&^%$# humidity. OMG! I could die! We got some sprinkles around dawn, but I can tell it never got wet under the tree canopies.:mad: Good luck if you run, Carolyn! I'd never attempt it!:D

It is indeed too bad Missy can't get her truck parts from Carolyn's hubby's store.

Missy, there's probably a reality tv show about your coworker (Is the inside of your car a junkyard?):D. I would have been so grossed out and lost respect for her.

Meredith and Jean, I will have to check out Fifty Shades of Grey.

Marie, are you feeling nostalgic for the Glassboro road trip? You can watch live streaming. I'm so excited for your new place!

Colleen, I see what you mean about doing a lot of core work. Mine isn't anything close to what you do with HC, etc, but this week my three workouts had core-related work, and I just noticed a slightly tighter look on my pooch. Yay! It could be my imagination!:D

Have to run! Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon and Happy Friday Ladies!!!!

Betty---I did lose all respect for her. I know life is busy and you may occasionally leave "trash" like a water bottle or something in your vechile, but the entire thins was full. I was so.....well, I went home last night complaining to my hubby. He said, I think you were traumatized!!!! I was! Now I can't even look at her the same. Oh well, I at least know my vechile and house is clean!!!!

Speaking of vechile, I promise if the wrong part for my truck come in you all will hear me screaming. I am so ready to get my truck back!!! I think I am mildly depressed! hahaha :) I use to always say I want a new car!!! I want I want I want. Well, just give me my truck back and I will shut up!!! :p

Okay, I did my run this morning. And I am planning on doing either B&G, cross fire or to the max tonight!!!

Jean---I am sure your tummy looks fine. My looks like a blow fish today. Monthly monster blew me up!!!

Carolyn--I too wish we lived closer!!! The only part store here is Napa, Oreily, Auto Zone and Advanced! They all suck!!!!

Okay, back to work I go!!! :)

Oh....

Marie---Have fun cleaning! You will have so much fun moving in to your new home and setting everything up!!! Expecially the baby room!!!! :D

Did To the Max Extreme premix today (with some of my modifications...although I tried to do Cathe's step height for much of it)!! Awesome workout! The only problem was I got interrupted three different times!! :mad: First phone call: my sister, second was some telemarketer, third was Mark. Why didn't I unplug the telephone you ask? Good question:confused:. What was I thinking?? Other than that, it was still a good sweaty workout. I can't wait to do it straight through without being interrupted though! I love how the segments are fairly short and easy to do separately (as in the shorter premixes). What an awesome way to add on quick cardio or to squeeze a quick workout in on time crunched days! I love these two newest!

Betty- I love Circuit Blast! I never get that one in enough! The middle definitely feels more "held in" when you've been working the core more, doesn't it? I don't hold out hope for the lean 6 pack due to my diet but I definitely can tell a difference, that's for sure!

Carolyn- did you get a run in today? If so, how do your knees feel?

Missy- I hope your truck gets fixed soon! I hate driving a vehicle I'm not familiar with!! I'm a bad driver as it is...give me an unfamilar vehicle and I'm a wreck!:confused:

Marie- how's the new place coming together? Isn't it nice to get it all cleaned and set up? Moving is the most stressful thing! I always get this tremendous feeling of calm when everything is finally "in it's place" :p

Jean- did you end up getting any cardio in? Nothing wrong with taking a relaxing rest day though!

Meredith- the progesterone cream is something you can buy over the counter or online. It can be used to sort of bring your hormones in balance if you suffer with major hormonal imbalances and severe PMS. I feel like I'm starting to pay with the easy periods and lack of hormone problems I had when I was younger. The closer I get to the big 4-0 the more out of whack I've been! It seems like every month my PMS symptoms were getting worse and worse this year!:confused:

Okay, gotta get supper going. TTYL!

Crazy crazy day at work! I was charge nurse and had to go to a meeting where we discuss all the patients and their plan of care. I hadn't been on that unit for a week so all the patients were new. I went mainly off of the nurses' notes but those aren't always the best. 2 people in restraints. 1 in seclusion. More shots given than I can count. Insane! But went fast so that's always good. Tony and I just got done eating Indian food. I think veggie curry is my new favorite food. So tasty! Carolyn- Enjoy your day off of working out. You deserve a break. Missy- Hope you get your truck back soon. Colleen- I'm impressed chica....extreme premix...way to work it. Meredith- Tony did love all those compliments haha! Pretty cute. All this talk about Fifty Shades of Gray...thinking I will have to check it out. Betty- When I get home I fully plan on watching some live feed from the roadtrip. I can't wait to go on another one. Maybe not next year since I probably won't want to leave baby so soon but the year after that hopefully. We are loving having our own place. Soon enough we will be all moved in. The cleaning is coming along well. Oh forgot to mention to you all, I got GS Legs in the mail today. Can't wait to try that one. Seems like a lot of the floor work is a bad position for me right now though. Can't be laying flat on my back. Might have to save for after baby is born :) Tony is shopping right now for work shirts and ties. I'm just chillin by the dressing room. I hate shopping unless it's for workout stuff or at Target. Talk to ya all later :)

Last edited:
Hi Jean- We were posting at the same time. Ummm "tired and lazy." I feel that...describes me perfectly lately. Enjoy your evening!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.