STS first time!

Hey girls!
I am still shaking off my grogginess/grumpyness after my dream this morning. Trying to get a lot of coffee in me so I can be up for Afterburn! You guys ever have one of those bad dreams where it's not so much a nightmare but what I call my "frustration" dreams. It was where I was trying to see this patient (I'm an optometrist, can't remember if I told you guys that before) and he is a total jerk and I can't find any of my equipment to check his dilation. I'm spending the whole dang dream searching and searching for my BIO and lenses and he's being a jerk while I do! What a weird dream!! I always have these dreams where I'm trying to find something and it feels like it's going on forever! :confused:

Jen-I'm so sorry about what happened with your son! Carolyn's right, some kids are just disturbed! It could be a chemical imbalance for some but more often than not I think it's related to a bad home situation in those cases. That worries me about Dylan, my son, too. He seems to attract the kids that are having emotional problems, are agressive and just plain mean. I think it's because he is so gentle and naive too. It seems to make him a target.:( Like you said Betty, we just have to start teaching him assertiveness...which is tough since it took me a long time to figure that out myself!

As far as my extra leg day...I had big plans to do that and it's getting harder to fit it in. I try to make it more cardio with a leg focus. I started the first week of Meso 1 with Lower Body Blast in addition to the STS legs. I also consider Afterburn to be lower body focused since I get such glute DOMS every time I do it. The past few weeks I've been only getting 5 workout days in instead of 6 like I like to do. I have been feeling a little cold coming on so I haven't been as gung ho. I was going to do Athletic Training yesterday but I ended up taking a second rest day because of this darn sore throat and fatigue I'm feeling. :(
I liked the Meso 2 leg disc I did this week and the DOMS were crazy. It really made me feel like I did something. The exercises are pretty basic and less varied than Meso 1 but that's okay with me. I like them both in different ways. We'll see as Meso 2 progresses how I feel about it. Carolyn- do you have the squat rack discs? I think you had to buy them separately right? I'm psyched to Plyo legs! I know you guys are not so psyched but I love plyometrics!:eek: I like jumping when it's in a controlled manner and not flailing all about (hello Amy Bento!). The plyo discs are great since it's cardio and legs. Maybe you guys could just preview them to see what you think.

Okay, must get moving!:eek: Later girls!

Colleen

Quick stop in before I have an early dinner... Legs are still sore sore sore (even after doing the extended stretch last night), and I have another sore spot to add to the mix... my obliques. I did weights and plates abs after Atletica yesterday. I was laying in bed this morning on my side and felt something poking me. It hurt. I was about to get upset, I thought it was the mattress springs or something even though the mattress is relatively new. But it wasn't the mattress. It was just the pain from the ab work the day before. I said I wanted to strengthen my core but my goodness! LOL! It actually hurts to laugh...

Also I usually weigh myself weekly and I have actually gained 2 pounds this week. I'm going to continue with the program because I am sure my body will settle into it, but I may just need to tweak things a little as far as my cardio. Also I think Cathe answered a similar concern for someone else in her recent Q&A thread, saying that as you tear the muscles down with weight work, they retain water as they rebuild so there may be an increase in water weight. So I'm gonna keep going... my body will eventually catch on I'm sure.

Last edited:
Normally I do love the pain, but today, not so much. You know it's bad when you can't gently place yourself down on your own bathroom throne if you know what I mean. :) I think I'll be ok tomorrow, but I'll definitely keep the cardio light before I go into Disc 1 again.

Your daughter sounds too cute though... especially how she pushed you to exercise today. I love that Cathe caught her looking at her feet. Sometimes Cathe catches me too! Oops!

Wow Carolyn we really do have a lot in common! LOL What's funny is my daughter's name is Lydia and I didn't realize until a few months after she was born that the names I picked had all the same letters except for one. I didn't do it on purpose, totally subconcious!
I did Afterburn today too! I lurve that workout so much. I totally want to get through it someday without ever pausing the dvd. It didn't happen today though. I swear I will get there someday!
Cammie- Just like Carolyn said I always go by how my clothes fit versus the scale. Also, in addition to the water retention you get temporarily from weight training, I'm also really prone to water weight fluctuation. I have to watch that sodium intake, which is tough. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I love all things salty! Also, I flucutate during the month. The first 2 weeks of my monthly cycle (right after my period) I can actually wear some of my size 4 pants in my closet...but the last 2 weeks I start retaining water and it's impossible to wear that size comfortably! I'm still pretty happy with the 6's though since I was wearing 10's before I started working out with Cathe!
I had a date night with hubby too! One of our favorite restaurants in town. Mmmm sea bass. It's the most expensive dish on the menu but I figure we don't eat out much so it's a treat. :)
Night girls!
Colleen

cokonkel - I do need to monitor my sodium intake more closely, that was another thing I thought about after I saw that I'd gained and was trying to figure out what I could do to fix that. I'm not too concerned about the gain, I am sure that Cathe will shake that all off in a week or so. But because I still have a weight goal in mind, I do want to be cognizant of what's going on there so I can make adjustments accordingly.

Felt less achy this morning, so did the first 40 minutes of Bodystrikes 2 then Disc 1 again since I'm doing a modified 6 month rotation. I upped the weights where I needed to this second time around and noticed that even though I needed to go up in weight for some exercises, the next size dumbbell was too heavy. But instead of dropping down, I just did as many reps as I could with good form and when I felt myself struggling it was a wrap. I feel like this is sort of the way it's supposed to work honestly... complete the reps when you can, and to failure when you can't. So I'm good with that.

I see that next week I'm supposed to increase my weights by 5%. I''m thinking about getting some weighted gloves for this but i've heard the Cathe microload gloves aren't the best quality so I'm trying to find other alternatives... I think since I dont have a Valentine that will be my V Day gift to myself. :)

Anyhoo, off to figure out my meals for the week and start prepping.

Last edited:
Evening girls!
I did disc 16 today! Those chest exercises kill me, but I forced myself to do them today. I decided to do push ups in place of the flat bench barbell presses though since the weight called for on the sheet seemed too heavy for me to do safely without a turbo tower. I definitely want to get one for next time. I get so bummed out because when I do triceps, I'm noticing that my left arm goes to muscle failure before my right:confused:. I don't know if I should be doing more to balance out the strength there...I'm so strongly right handed/dominant that my left arm always seems like it's just along for the ride!

I was going to take tomorrow off but I may try to do lower body Trisets since I will be going out of town for the weekend next Friday so no Saturday or Sunday workout.

Cammie-what I've been using for 1 and 2 lb increments is using the wrist weights that I got at Target. They have a thumb lock thing and wrap around my wrist so it makes it easy to use those and still grab the dumbell comfortably. It seems to be working okay.

Marie- have fun with your hubby at the hotel! Which hotel are you staying at? It's so fun to do that even if it's just in your own town...it's like a mini-vacation! :)

Jean- hope you had fun this weekend!

Have a great night everybody!
Colleen

Last edited:
Holy crap, I did one of my optometry rotations in Northfield! It was at the Allina eye clinic there. That's a cute little town! We just got done watching Walking Dead too.:) Have a great night!!
Colleen

Carolyn- The Walking Dead is a tv show. My husband and I like it, although the first season was better and I'm afraid the show isn't quite living up to it's potential. Hopefully it will get better. I confessed on another thread I check into about what a terrible tv addict I am. It's not so much that I watch a lot of hours of tv per se, but I get seriously addicted to certain shows. Like right now, my favorite show of all time is Breaking Bad. I'm like a freak about it! I went out and bought the available dvds of it just to get my friends and family hooked. My sister and her husband have them now and they are binging on it. It's one of those shows that you just can't stop watching...they were up until 3 a.m. watching episodes this past Saturday! My brother-in-law called me a crack dealer! LOL!

I so wanted to do Trisets lower body this morning but I had such a tough time falling asleep last night I feel tired from the lack of sleep. Plus my lower body is still sore from Afterburn on Saturday! It's crazy how that work out gets me every time even though I've done it several times already! Hopefully I'll get Trisets in tonight but you guys know how that goes! As far as eating before or after working out, I've actually heard arguments for both sides. I find myself, I need a little something whether it's cardio or weights. I fizzle out really quickly if I don't have something in my stomach. I like to drink about half of my protein shake before hand, or sometimes I'll have plain oatmeal and millk. It took me a long time to get myself to eat oatmeal without brown sugar...it's not exactly yummy but I figure it's just for fuel!

Have a great Monday girls!
Colleen

Checking in really quickly (I'm at work... shhhh!)

The alarm didn't go off this morning at 5 like it was supposed to! I bolted wake at 6:01 and immediately knew something was wrong because I felt so well rested. LOL! A little upset, but I decided to work out anyway and just take my chances getting to work on time. (I made it!) I do not like working out later on in the day because I've got food in my stomach and I don't feel as up for it as I do in the morning.

Afterburn is a BEAST! I love the burn though, so it's aptly titled that's for sure. I was expecting muscle soreness after doing Disc 1 yesterday but it was minimal this morning, which made Afterburn all the more enjoyable.

There was a thread a while back asking what exercises people skip in workouts and I admitted that many times I skip burpees and mountain climbers if they are in workouts. But then I felt bad. :( So this morning, I decided I was going to just not even think about it and when Cathe said get your discs I got my discs and got on the floor and burpeed my little heart out. I realized that the reason they were so annoying was because my form was off. I didn't know it was okay to raise the upper part of my body up a little bit over my shoulders if that makes any sense. Made the moves much easier. I wasn't able to complete all of the reps in all of the sets, but that's ok. Something to work towards. I still don't like them, but I like them ALOT better using the discs.

Last edited:
Colleen- How funny that you did one of your rotations in Northfield. Allina is a great system...I work at Unity and LOVE it! As far as oatmeal goes....I love mine with nutmeg, cinnamon and dried cranberries in or a scoop of chocolate protein powder....so good!

Carolyn- Way to get those push ups in :) As far as eating before workouts...I always do. I usually I get up around 4:30am and have a Chobani Greek yogurt beforehand. Lately after I get done I'll have 2 hard boiled eggs, string cheese and V8. Then a couple hours before lunch I have a Luna bar and some peanut butter. Lunch is always a salad with something else like a cup of soup, cottage cheese or string cheese. I try to eat every few hours, but feel like I'm constantly eating sometimes. I have to start out the day healthy or it's over! Once I start I can't stop! Yup I'm one of those people haha!

Cammie- Way to do the burpees! I like those on the discs too :)

Jean- Glad to hear I'm not the only one looking forward to The Vow :) I heard it's good!

Thinking no workout for me today. We are sitting at a cool little coffee shop right now. Like many- if I don't do it right away it's not getting done. Oh well...tomorrow it is!

How could I forget to mention this...

I preordered!!!!!

The new ones along with CCC and the firewalkers!

YAY! Happy!!!

Carolyn- CCC is Cardio Core Circuit... you should try it! It's a killer cardio workout! It was my very first Cathe dvd and I instantly fell in love with Cathe the first time I did it (in a platonic way of course!;)).

Jean- don't let the muscle girls in Oxygen scare you off of doing leg work! It would require super human effort, training, special diet and I suspect supplements to achieve that much muscle for most women. Some women may naturally have more testerone in their bodies than others but I think for most supplements come into play. Not to accuse those ladies in Oxygen of doing steroids...there are actually a lot of legal OTC supplements body builders use as well. Leg and lower body work is so worth it! I have very little jiggle down there anymore and the cellulite is MIA! :D

Oops, gotta get going. Talk more later!
Colleen

Betty- so sweet of you, I wish I could be your optometrist too!:) Say, for those of you that live sort of close to Portsmouth (NH), you could maybe check out Dr. Amy Catalano at the LensCrafters there. She was my roomate in optometry school and we have similar personalities. You guys would love her! If you do ever see her, tell her Colleen sent you!:D I hear you on dealing with bad opticians, Betty. It's really hard when there is not so great staff that turns people off. I hate losing patients due to a bad experience they have once they leave my exam room! Since I work for a corporate optical I don't have any say in who they hire out front. Fortunately we have a pretty good staff right now, but that hasn't always been the case!:(

Cammie- way to go on the burpees! I actually don't mind regular burpees but I totally agree with mountain climbers being so much better with the discs! I really feel those in my core that way and zero impact!
Carolyn- Holy smokes! 30 push ups on your toes!! I'm not worthy!:eek::eek: I hit a wall when I get to 10 push ups on my toes and I just can't get myself to break through that line in the sand. I end up on my knees for the rest. It could be a mental block too...maybe.:eek:
As far as insomnia...Sundays are the worst for me! I get so worried about not getting enough hours of sleep that it ironically keeps me awake worrying about it! I usually end up taking Monday as my rest day because I know this always happens but I was really hoping to get it in today. Of course, I could be a good girl and workout right now but instead I'm on the computer with a glass of wine! :eek::confused: This weekend will end up being no workouts since we're going to an indoor waterpark/hotel thing in Warrens, WI. Sort of a way to break up winter with a mini-vacation. We were hoping to plan a trip to Disney this year but it doesn't seem to be coming together. We may try for the summer once the kids are out of school.

Marie-Congratulations on Catheite status!:D You are going to love CCC and the firewalkers!

Night girls!
Colleen

Hello everybody!

I lurked during my rest week but didn't post much. Had to really talk myself into doing disk 13 tonight. So glad that I did. I like this type of workout better. Most of my weights were about right. However, I saw Cathe pick up a barbell for the flat bench tricep extensions. I just glanced at the sheet quickly and set up my barbell. When I got done with the 12 reps, I thought, boy, that was easy. So I upped the weight a bit. The 10 reps seemed easy, too. So, I finally went back to the sheet and saw the weights were for dumbbells! D'oh! So I got the right weights and started over again. Yeah, half of the weight should feel easy. :eek:

Cammie: I agree with the using the plates with burpees. That's the only way I have a shot at even trying them.

Marie: Love my firewalkers. So much easy to get set up and really puts the tension in.

Linda

Hello to all. I am new to STS and wanted to join your thread! I did Disc 1 today and feel amazing.

Don't have much to say, except I am pumped about STS!!!

marazoe - Have you seen a clip of Atletica? Atletica - YouTube I find it very hard to classify this workout, it's cardio definitely but there is a strength aspect as well. I actually emailed her company and they said she'd be offering new DVDs in the Spring. Definitely looking forward to that.

gratefuldog - I do try to eat healthy, but it's difficult to go the organic route, it can get quite expensive. I am in NYC so there is an abundance of organic, free range, etc here. I may look into it more for the future.

Marie - Check you out! Catheite status! Also you must review CCC when you get a chance to try it. I know Cathe said it's one of her hardest workouts and just looking at the clips scare me. I want to challenge myself and buy it, but I"m afraid if I do it will just sit on the shelf. :)

Colleen and Linda - I actually liked the burpees with the discs. I think those things are just too cute. I did Afterburn this morning and the jumping jacks on the discs had me smiling, even though I was sweating like a madwoman! I'm not sure if it's STS or just Afterburn from today but I was SO hungry today! My goodness, food was all I could think about. I think I read a post by Cathe somewhere on this board that the second week of STS would make you hungry. Truth!

missyt - Welcome! I'm a newbie myself, just started week 2. Nice to have someone else checking in.

Carolyn, I am in awe of your pushups! I can usually do the first set on my toes, but then drop to my knees for the rest. You've inspired me to push myself next time.

Betty, those pushups in Disc 4 were a killer for me. I felt really worn out, in a good way, after that disc. I did Disc 5 last night. It wasn't too bad, but I like working my back. It seemed alot like Disc 2 last week, maybe just an increase in weights?

I also have insomnia. I have no trouble at all falling asleep, but usually wake in the middle of the night and stay awake for an hour or so. Maybe it is an age thing.

CCC is the hardest Cathe dvd I have ever done. Great core work on that one.

missyt - welcome, I am a late joiner to this forum as well, and I am on week 2.

Good Morning All. Thanks to all for welcoming me to the thread. Fellow Cathe members are always so nice. I am excited to be a part of the STS crew!!! Thanks.:D

Marazoe----yes I finished the November LIS rotation and loved it. I can tell a big difference in my lower body expecially. I actually went down a pant size!!! yah!!!

It was very challenging and fun.

I highly recommend it!!!

:)

I am acually going to do the STS/LIS rotation next. I just started STS yesterday, so it will be awhile. But, I am motivated... so I have the next 6 months planned. HAHAHA :eek::eek::eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.