STS 6x per wk (double up)?

tralaiven

Cathlete
I am seriously considering doing STS 6x per week and thereby halving the total time to do STS into a 6 week program instead of 3 and a half months. I am also planning on doing 2 to 3 cardios per week.

I am going to do this because I have the time and I am really wanting to see results. As it is, between cycling and my Cathe and other DVD workouts, I exercise at least 8 to 10 hours per week anyway.

I started STS 2 years ago and broke my shoulder in the middle of Meso 3 and the thought of really kicking it up and trying it 6 x per week has always been in the back of my mind, but I was never in a place where I thought I could really do it right and have the time and energy necessary for such and undertaking.

Have you done this or what do you think?

Thanks Cathletes! You're the best!

Last edited:
Yes, grateful dog, dirtdiva did this either last year or year before last.

I just finished my first two weeks, which is actually the first four weeks of the STS DVDs (1-12). I completed them all except for #8, because I just could not fit it into my schedule. I have to say that I have noticed increased definition and strength. I have not dropped any weight, but have increased muscle mass and dropped some fat.

I have had to watch myself because I have been tired, so I am being sure to get lots of rest.

Next week will be a rest week for me, as we are going on vacation and I will just do mostly cardio with body weight exercises. Also I need a rest as I have been training hard for the last 6 weeks.

Then I will get back and finish up the last 4 weeks of double time STS!

Tracy - good to hear it works! Your post couldn't have come at a better time - I've just started STS 6month rotation, and, 1 month in, am not seeing results. (I got amazing results from XTrain 90 days).
I was wondering whether I was just being impatient???
However, you've spurred me on to double up. I think I'll do discs 1,2,3,1,2,3 in a week, etc. I like doing each disc twice, as it's my first time with STS, and I'm a bit unsure of what I'm doing!
When do you do your cardio? Have you managed to get 2-3 cardios in a week? Do you do the shorter HiiT type, or more endurance? I guess you don't do metabolic w/os, like Afterburn?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for before I commit :eek:
Also - anyone else have thoughts on this?
Many thanks,
Justine

Tracy - good to hear it works! Your post couldn't have come at a better time - I've just started STS 6month rotation, and, 1 month in, am not seeing results. (I got amazing results from XTrain 90 days).
However, you've spurred me on to double up. I think I'll do discs 1,2,3,1,2,3 in a week, etc. I like doing each disc twice, as it's my first time with STS, and I'm a bit unsure of what I'm doing!
When do you do your cardio? Have you managed to get 2-3 cardios in a week? Do you do the shorter HiiT type, or more endurance? I guess you don't do metabolic w/os, like Afterburn?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for before I commit :eek:
Many thanks,
Justine

How about cardio

Many thanks,
Justine

Hi Justine!

My husband and I do road cycling 2-3 times per week....so the first week we did 3 rides of 1-2 hours each plus Hiit 40/20. But week 2 we only got 2 rides in of the same duration and I did XT Tabatas 1-4 this past Friday.

I don't do anything like Afterburn or any more weight lifting because I do enough with the double STS. But I have to say I really like the idea of doing each week double for that week...it will make it last longer! Already I am thinking that the last four weeks are going to go by quickly because the first two sure did!

I am also thinking that if need be, I can do only 5 STS a week when my schedule is packed like it was this week. That is because I am not a big fan of working my shoulders and my back really hard because I have very broad shoulders as it is and simply want tone. So this past week (week 2) I dropped the back and triceps workout and only worked them once instead of twice. That might be a nice option for you too if you find that the 6 in one week is a lot. You might drop one of the upper body workouts and concentrate on those areas you want to work twice. Of course, I will not drop my legs...I need help there!

I know I would see even better results if I would get my darn eating under control... I just love chocolate! Today is a new start and the day is almost done and I have done really well today! No refined sugar at all!

I also think I could get by with 2 cardios if need be, because those leg workouts almost seem like cardio to me.

I am really looking forward to this rest week. I brought some cardio only DVDs and plan to take at least one run on the beach!

Also, I have to say that right now I am not working outside the home, so I have the luxury of staying home and spending the time necessary to workout like this and also the necessary rest time and the time it requires to watch my nutrition and eat healthy except for the darn chocolate! I am eating lots and lots of veg and lean meats, protein shakes and apples (of some reason I am on an apple kick-fujis to be exact). I am trying to limit bread/wheat intake.

Let me know what you do and your results!

Best wishes and blessings,
Tracy

Last edited:
Thank you for replying Tracy - much appreciated.
Good idea dropping one of the upper body w/os - I'm like you - I need to keep working my legs. I also want to do quite a lot of chest - in an attempt to counteract gravity ;). At the moment I do:
STS UB
HiiT + leg workout (eg HiiT 30/30 + standing part of Xtrain Legs)
STS UB
Kickboxing (seems to release the tension in my thighs from too many squats!)
STS Legs
Metabolic
Rest
I also throw in some Horizontal Conditioning (instead of STS abs) and yoga (to loosen my stiff, old hips).
I'm just not seeing results - in fact I seem to be getting a little fatter, so I had been thinking of trying to shock my body, and liked the sound of what you do. It seems achievable (although I don't cycle, but I do walk the dogs. A lot - big dogs). I too don't work outside the home, which means I have quite a bit of flexibility in my routine - I can spend the day in workout gear, for a start! But it does mean that I can also eat whenever I want - I'm a compulsive snacker :(.
I guess I could do cardio on UB days - like you, I feel the legs days are cardio enough.
Many thanks for the feedback and listening - it helps to clarify things in my mind!
Have a wonderful holiday
Justine

Thank you for replying Tracy - much appreciated.
Good idea dropping one of the upper body w/os - I'm like you - I need to keep working my legs. I also want to do quite a lot of chest - in an attempt to counteract gravity ;). At the moment I do:
STS UB
HiiT + leg workout (eg HiiT 30/30 + standing part of Xtrain Legs)
STS UB
Kickboxing (seems to release the tension in my thighs from too many squats!)
STS Legs
Metabolic
Rest
I also throw in some Horizontal Conditioning (instead of STS abs) and yoga (to loosen my stiff, old hips).
I'm just not seeing results - in fact I seem to be getting a little fatter, so I had been thinking of trying to shock my body, and liked the sound of what you do. It seems achievable (although I don't cycle, but I do walk the dogs. A lot - big dogs). I too don't work outside the home, which means I have quite a bit of flexibility in my routine - I can spend the day in workout gear, for a start! But it does mean that I can also eat whenever I want - I'm a compulsive snacker :(.
I guess I could do cardio on UB days - like you, I feel the legs days are cardio enough.
Many thanks for the feedback and listening - it helps to clarify things in my mind!
Have a wonderful holiday
Justine

I really like your schedule, Justine. It looks like a good one! I understand the compulsive snacked bit...it just makes it too easy being at home. We don't have cookies or junk food like that, but still I find enough to eat. I know what I have to do to get the body I want...it just takes discipline and determination. And sometimes I simply want to eat whatever the heck I want!

This is my second time through STS (the first time I broke my shoulder on about the 3rd wk of Meso 3) and I remember feeling the same way as you about Meso 1, also I have read the same thing by others....feeling like going backward in a way. I think that personally, my body does not respond well to lifting one body part a week...that always bugged me....which is why I went to double time.

But like I said, it looks like you have a great workout schedule going there. And also, yes, I prefer do my extra cardio on my upper body days....because I really do give my legs my all ( not that I don't UB) and I am generally wiped out after legs.

Blessings.....

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.