strectching

not cathe either but, Its a good idea to stretch your muscles out after a workout. The best time to do this is when they are warmed up. Stretching helps to prevent injury and maintains muscle flexiblity. I think that stretching gets overlooked a lot and it really is important to a balanced body.

>not cathe either but, Its a good idea to stretch your muscles
>out after a workout. The best time to do this is when they are
>warmed up. Stretching helps to prevent injury and maintains
>muscle flexiblity. I think that stretching gets overlooked a
>lot and it really is important to a balanced body.

I agree completely.

The warm-ups and final stretches are both part of a complete and safe workout, and neither should be omitted. If you do so, it's at your own risk.

For some reason I feel like I get better results if I stretch after. If I treat my body good, my body will treat me good. My sister in law, she is an instructor for Body combat, always stresses that the stretching is the most important part out of the whole entire routine. It will be interesting to see what the reasons behind stretching is in Cathe's remarks. Sorry, I don't think I answered your question!

>>not cathe either but, Its a good idea to stretch your
>muscles
>>out after a workout. The best time to do this is when they
>are
>>warmed up. Stretching helps to prevent injury and maintains
>>muscle flexiblity. I think that stretching gets overlooked a
>>lot and it really is important to a balanced body.
>
>
>I agree completely.
>
>The warm-ups and final stretches are both part of a complete
>and safe workout, and neither should be omitted. If you do so,
>it's at your own risk.

Actually Kathryn, stretching at the beginning of a workout or after a warm-up has not been found to reduce injury at all. In fact, it was found (in a recent study I had to read for class), that stretching before a workout (again during a warmup), decreased performance ability, especially for those lifting. I'm talking about static stretching (holding a stretch over a period of time). Dynamic stretching (like what Cathe does in her newest series), is also considered stretching even though you're not holding a position. Dynamic movements before working out is probably the best choice, while static stretching should probably only be done at the end of a workout.

Carolyn

I think Kathryn was talking about 2 separate things: 1, the warmup and 2, the final stretches. Both are equally (critically) important to reduce injury as well as keep yourself strong and flexible as you age. I agree, Carolyn, that dynamic stretches are best in warmups (formerly they probably weren't actually thought of as a stretch!) and static best to do after your body is warm.

>Actually Kathryn, stretching at the beginning of a workout or
>after a warm-up has not been found to reduce injury at all. In
>fact, it was found (in a recent study I had to read for
>class), that stretching before a workout (again during a
>warmup), decreased performance ability, especially for those
>lifting. I'm talking about static stretching (holding a
>stretch over a period of time). Dynamic stretching (like what
>Cathe does in her newest series), is also considered
>stretching even though you're not holding a position. Dynamic
>movements before working out is probably the best choice,
>while static stretching should probably only be done at the
>end of a workout.

??????
I'm a bit puzzled by your addressing this comment to me, since I'm well aware of all of this, and I don't see anything in my post that contradicts it. I recommended doing the warm-ups (ROM moves and lighter cardio to raise body temperature) and final stretches (two different things, NOT 'the stretches after the warm-up and the final stretches" as you seem to have read).
???

>I think Kathryn was talking about 2 separate things: 1, the
>warmup and 2, the final stretches. Both are equally
>(critically) important to reduce injury as well as keep
>yourself strong and flexible as you age. I agree, Carolyn,
>that dynamic stretches are best in warmups (formerly they
>probably weren't actually thought of as a stretch!) and static
>best to do after your body is warm.

Ah, someone who read me right!;-)

I agree as far as 'dynamic vs. static' stretches are concerned, and also prefer doing dynamic ROM moves at the beginning of a workout, saving the longer static stretches for the end. (Though the studies that show that preworkout stretching doesn't prevent injury, and can reduce the ability of the muscle to contract, seem to refer to long static stretches, and I think some shorter static stretches---intermingled with dynamic moves--don't have as negative an impact. Cathe herself once replied to a question on why she sometimes still uses static stretches in her warm-ups by saying that they were to reduce any residual stiffness. I find the types of stretches Tony Horton does in P90X---both pre-exercise and between moves--which contain both dynamic and short-held static stretches---to be about perfect. And they don't seem to reduce lifting ability at all.)

Kathryn,

I actually was trying to add to your comment. I think the majority of people (not you), think of stretching as holding a position over a period of time. I have yet to meet one person (again, not you or someone with a degree in exercise science or an exercise instructor or the like), who knows that dynamic movement can be categorized as 'stretching'. I was trying to clarify the difference and to dispel the myth that static stretching before a workout will prevent injuries. That's all.

Carolyn

>Not Cathe, But;
>
>I never did the stretching at the end of the DVD's either. I
>have just added the Bar Method DVD's in my rotation (Thanks,
>Wendy!!!) and have seen noticable approvements!
>
>"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"
>
> ~Jennifer~
>
>www.picturetrail.com/Fitness-momx2
>

Not Cathe. I feel that stretches at the end of a workout are very important. Even if you don't notice it now somewhere down the line it could prevent injuries.

Jennifer I also do Bar Method and Lotte Berks on my leg days. These workouts do include stretches in between and at the end. So you are probably getting your stretches from these workouts instead of the Cathe workout you did before them. I also have noticed improvments with these.
>
>http://5.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/3/933/glitter_maker_03_01_2007_19_17_32_14056.gif

Not Cathe here, but I used to skip the stretch at the end, too. I did it in order to save time. I exercise in the eve, a few hours before bed. I found that over time (3 or 4 weeks) I got stiffer and sorer in the morning, even though the workout hadn't changed. Things just kind of tightened and kinked up on me. Now I stretch after every workout and it doesn't happen, and I feel much better. I have also gotten a bit more flexible and range of motion. Maybe it changes from person to person, but I find I have to do it, or I will pay, big time!!

I love stretching at the end of my Cathe workouts. It feels so good. When I do step on my own, I put on classical music and I stretch to that. It makes me more flexible, and like I said----feel so good at the end!

Good luck and happy working out!

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.