soles of my feet hurt!

You also might want to check into custom orthotics. Then you don't have to worry so much about specific shoes, just take the removable inserts out of any athletic shoe and put in your custom orthotics.

I got some a couple of months ago from a chiropractor, and they are marvelous!

Yes, I use orthotic arch supports in my athletic shoes now. They are kind of weird to get used to, but have really helped my feet when I am working out. They are still sore, but not nearly as much. I am to use Polysorb replacement insoles in my work shoes now, and I need to wear tennis shoes or similar. I went out yesterday and bought two pair shoes- one called Dr. Scholl's with massaging gel insoles (I will still use the other insoles, at least for now) and one I had to special order called Dr. Scholl's Air Cradle. They are black and similar to some of my work dress shoes, but with way more support. I don't think I will even need to use the insoles for them because they are very, very comfortable.

>The three
>exercises I do with the band are:
>
>1. put the band around my foot and flex up (you have to loop
>the band around something out in front of you to do this one;
>you can't hold the band yourself because you have to pull up
>toward your body)
>2. put the band around my foot and point down (just loop the
>band around your foot and hold it with your hands)
>3. put the band around my foot and flex out to the side (I
>loop the band around my right foot and pull with the left
>foot)
>
>You have to experiment with different ways of anchoring the
>band in order to work these different angles. I find that a
>circular band works better than a straight one.
>Hope this helps.
>
>Laura

Thanks for these exercise suggestions, Laura. I am trying to figure out how you do them exactly. I am having a hard time imagining them. But that could be because I am totally a visual person. Where did you get the circular band you mentioned? And what did you mean by running shoes with more flexible uppers? Can you give an example? Thanks in advance for your additional help. :)

I got the circular bands at Wal-mart. It's just like a rubber band except bigger.

As far as runnng shoes with more flexible uppers, I just meant that running shoes in general have a more flexible upper than other kinds of athletic shoes, such as cross trainers. I used to wear cross trainers for the lateral stability but then realized that the uppers were too stiff and contributed to the foot pain.

Here are more detailed descriptions of the exercises. I hope this helps. I, too, am very visual!

Exercise 1: Loop the band around something solid and heavy. I have one permanently hooked under a sit-up bench, so I don't have to lift the bench everytime to set up the exercise. Scoot back away from whatever object the band is looped to until the band is tight.

Sit on the floor. Loop the other end of the band around the top of your foot so that it's resting across your toes (or just below). Now flex your foot toward you. The other end of the band hooked around the heavy object provides resistance. The PT said start with 30 reps (pretty fast reps) and see how that goes. The front of your leg should become warm.

(This is just like the exercise in GS Legs with the ball, except it uses a band. I like the band better because it isolates the front of your leg better. With the ball, you use hip flexors and abs a lot.)

This is the most complicated exercise to set up because you HAVE to use some other object besides your own body to provide resistance.

If you have an exercise partner, they could hold the band and pull away from you for this exercise.

Exercise 2: Sit on the floor. Loop the band around the bottom of your foot so that it rests against the ball of your foot. Hold the other end in your hands like the reigns of a horse. You will then probably need to choke up on the band to provide enough resistance.

Point your toe down. Repeat however many times needed to create warmth in the muscle.

Exercise 3: Sit on the floor. Put your legs in a narrow V. Place the band around both feet so that it rests agains the outsides of your feet. Hold one foot still and flex the other one out to the side. If you don't have enough resistance, spread your feet further apart.

:)

Good luck.

Laura

You're welcome, ErinW.

I hope these will work for you.

I have to do them every time I do cardio, but if I do, I have no problem. Sometimes my foot will start aching in the first round of cardio and I realize "rats, I forgot to do my band exercises!" It really makes a difference for me.

>Which Spenco insoles are you guys wearing?
>
>Thanks!
>Rosie

With my athletic shoes, I am using Spenco's arch supports. They are a very tough plastic that you have to manipulate a bit to best fit your shoes. But they aer very supportive and good for people like me who have a high arch. It takes some time to get used to them, but it's worth it. As for my work shoes, I use Spenco's replacement insoles, I think they are for cross training. They are much more flexible and not that difficult to get used to. Hope this helps. :)

I bought the Spenco walking/running ones yesterday and used them this morning when working out to "Cardio and Weights". They made the front part of my foot hurt instead of the heels :( - I am not sure if it because of the high impact workout or the Spencos.

I'd suggest you try Spenco's Orthotic Arch Supports. They are very stiff and take some getting used to, but they have really helped my feet tremendously. I only use them in my athletic shoes, though.

Wow! A lot of us have foot issues! I just want to chime in another option for just "general " shoe wear.

Both my mother and I have foot problems similar to the ones mentioned her she passsed her solution on to me.

Birkenstocks (Betula,m Birli, Papillo, etc)

I wear these as much as possible and it REALLy decreases my pain!

Hope you get this cleared up soon!

Terri

Thanks for the suggestion, Terri. My mom swears by Birkenstocks, too.

I have more news from my podiatrist- I don't just have plantar fascittis, but heel spurs, too. He said I will have to get custom orthotics made and wear them in all my shoes. I am a bit discouraged lately, as I overdid it a bit on Sunday doing BM2 and my feet are killing me. I don't know how I am going to survive another 2-3 weeks without these orthotics. I hope and pray they work. Has anyone else here had heel spurs, and if so, what did you find most helpful?

I've yet to try the exercies with the band that the other poster mentioned. I haven't been able to find that circular band yet. I am trying to do more stretching, as I saw on a webiste that was a good way to help heel spurs.

My DH cut my Spencos down so they fit the shoe better and since then I have had very little foot pain (none from the spencos)and I have been stepping all week. I found that I have to wear shoes all the time and cannot go barefoot around the house anymore :( But I am hopeful that I can get this under control.

What are NAOT shoes?

That's great news, rockerchick. I am glad your foot pain is resolving. I think I may have to wear shoes all the time, too. Did you get the Spenco arch supports I suggested or did you just use the walking/running insoles?

I wanted to go ahead and give the walking/running ones a try again. If they didn't work I was going to go find the ones that you suggested.
Oh I forgot, I have also been stretching my feet before and after workouts.

I also suffer from plantar fascitis and heel spurs. I got my custom orthotics back in September and I am still struggling with pain,(4 cortisone shots later). I still do low impact step workouts and stretch and ice w/advil afterwards. This is so very frustrating b/c I am dying to try Cathe's new workouts but know it will be impossible with my feet. My doctor has told me it could take 6 months to a year for the pain to fully subside. Not the news I wanted to hear! Also, when you do get your orthotics, invest in a new pair of good shoes.

Carolyn

You can go to their website NAOT.com and check out their stock. I usually buy from zappos. I've also tried onlineshoes.com. (although you have to exchange rather than return for free shipping)
So far I have
Camila (my favorite clog)
Rome (favorite sandal clog)
Vienna( seems to fit a bit big, but I just wear a med thick sock)
Quincy boot (is a Granny style but I like it cause they're so darn comfy)
didn't like Yorkshire boot. Was more of a Granny style stiffy, not shiny, not like the picture.
I also have an older sandel style not available.
There are so many I want it's so hard to decide!!!

>
>
>I also suffer from plantar fascitis and heel spurs. I got my
>custom orthotics back in September and I am still struggling
>with pain,(4 cortisone shots later). I still do low impact
>step workouts and stretch and ice w/advil afterwards. This is
>so very frustrating b/c I am dying to try Cathe's new workouts
>but know it will be impossible with my feet. My doctor has
>told me it could take 6 months to a year for the pain to fully
>subside. Not the news I wanted to hear! Also, when you do get
>your orthotics, invest in a new pair of good shoes.
>
>Carolyn

Carolyn, I definitely sympathize with you. I did most of Cardio Fusion this morning, but was very frustrated because I couldn't do most of the Drill Max drills. They were too high impact for my sore feet. I was able to modify other jumps/hops, such as in the BM2 segments, but those drills were nearly impossible to modify. So I basically did squats while she hopped around or I marched in place or side stepped. Very frustrating because Drill Max looks like such fun. But I won't be able to do that anytime soon from the looks of it. Maybe once I get my custom orthotics I can give it a try.

>I wanted to go ahead and give the walking/running ones a try
>again. If they didn't work I was going to go find the ones
>that you suggested.
>Oh I forgot, I have also been stretching my feet before and
>after workouts.

What sort of streches are you doing for your feet? I read that doing extra stretches for your calves can help heel spurs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.