So will you get the shot?

I have asthma and used to get the flu every year. Approx 8 - 10 yrs ago they started giving flu shots at work, and since I started getting the flu shot, I haven't had the flu (knock on wood). I hate putting foreign stuff in my body, but I do get the regular flu shots to keep myself from being sicker than a dog for 2 weeks every year.

However, regarding the swine flu shot...back in '76 I was young and stupid. (Now I'm 53 and old and stupid...:) ) I worked at the mall and they were giving the shots, so I stood in line and got the swine flu shot. Not long after, I got sicker than I've ever been in my whole life and was out of work for almost a month... Could be a coincidence, but I think not. I wouldn't get the swine flu shot now if you paid me!!!!!! They're saying that '76 shot screwed up a lot of people...

Bottom line--everyone just has to do what they feel comfortable with. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just what everyone's comfort level is with going without a vaccine/going with a vaccine.

Absolutely!

I am just not comfortable vaxing my children in the next couple of weeks when the vaccine arrives to our area since "tests to establish the appropriate dose for children are still under way". Source: Swine flu vaccine myths 'busted' by experts So, the appropriate dose hasn't been established but safety & efficacy has? I just don't have warm fuzzies about it especially considering the 1976 vaccine. I know a different H1N1 component was used in this 2009 vaccine, but what if? And I know this swine flu vaccine was developed in the same period of time as the seasonal flu vaccine, which BTW changes every year. In fact, the only difference between the seasonal flu vaccine and H1N1 vaccine is the H1N1 component. I am just not confident in vaxing my kiddos.

I'll pass this along for those who would like the vaccine but without preservatives:
"If this is something that you're concerned about, you can ask your doctor for a single dose syringe of the vaccine and that has no preservative whatsoever," said Dr. Richard Besser, former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Only the multi-dose vials have that preservative in it." Source: Is the new swine flu vaccine safe?

I have asthma and used to get the flu every year. Approx 8 - 10 yrs ago they started giving flu shots at work, and since I started getting the flu shot, I haven't had the flu (knock on wood). I hate putting foreign stuff in my body, but I do get the regular flu shots to keep myself from being sicker than a dog for 2 weeks every year.

However, regarding the swine flu shot...back in '76 I was young and stupid. (Now I'm 53 and old and stupid...:) ) I worked at the mall and they were giving the shots, so I stood in line and got the swine flu shot. Not long after, I got sicker than I've ever been in my whole life and was out of work for almost a month... Could be a coincidence, but I think not. I wouldn't get the swine flu shot now if you paid me!!!!!! They're saying that '76 shot screwed up a lot of people...

I remember getting a flu shot in the 1970s and my brother and I became sick as dogs. I have never gotten another flu shot after that.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this link but hey, it's info that's out there, that's all. I haven't yet watched the video. I do not endorse or refute the info. I'm just passing it along. It's about all flu shots in general. There is some interesting info contained in the article so even if you disagree with some of the things, continue to scroll as you may find some of it useful.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/26/Flu-Vaccine-Exposed.aspx

Bam

My sleeve is rolled up - Bring it on! And my son and DH will be dragged in screaming and kicking but that is just tough . . .

My doc. who is very conservative is recommended both the seasonal flu shot and H1N1. I got my seasonal flu shot this morning and I'll be getting the H1N1 as soon as its available.

I won't be getting the vaccine and I don't receive "regular" flu vaccines either. I just don't trust them and the majority of people I know who have had a flu vaccine wind up getting sicker after the shot than they ever have been. My immune system is pretty healthy and I very rarely get sick, even with a cold. I'm in awe that they are administering this shot without extensive testing. That seems extremely irresponsible to me...

As for the swine flu itself, I've been saying since last year that it is all hyped and the media uses scare tactics to pull people in. People around my office last year were running around like chickens with their heads cut off everytime someone tested positive for swine flu in our area. I actually researched the occurance of deaths from the "normal" flu compared to swine flu, as well as symptoms, and they are pretty comparable. And I sent it out to everyone in the office to calm them down. I think the term "Swine Flu" is also adding to the hysteria; it makes you sound like a diseased freak, meanwhile you get the flu and its a "whatever" reaction from people.

The fellow who had it here came back to work today. He missed 4 days of work, which is a lot. He also ran 102 fever, which if you have ever had this high of a fever as an adult, you know you were a pretty sick puppy!

I'm 8 months pregnant and very uneasy about this. I have been debating and feel like either decision is a bad one. I hate the flu shot got it once my whole life two years ago and got sick all winter long when I hadn't been sick in years. My ob and nurse keep telling me I really need to get this and I asked what are the short/long term side effects and she can't give me a straight answer since they don't know. I am leaning towards no. The only info I have received is they are doing a study on 118 pregnant women now which is not worth it since that doesn't suggest any long term effects. I hate medicine and praying that from foods and exercise and healthy living I can keep my immune system healthy enough!

Not me! I got one flu shot once, and got sicker than I have ever been in my life for 3 freaking weeks! No thanks.
Kirsten

I'm on the fence but leaning towards getting the H1N1 vaccine. I work in a very large, very cloistered building with very interconnected air vents, and I don't want to end up with it because someone down the hall gets it. Of course, I understand that just because I get the vaccine doesn't mean I'll be 100% protected, but I'd rather try to protect myself and my family and have a crappy reaction than stand aside and watch people fall ill. I'm not in a high-risk group necessarily, but we are around DH's 93-year old grandmother and his 13-year old nephew and my 3-month pregnant sister-in-law and my friends with babies all the time. I just would hate to think that any of them got sick because of me.

As for the regular flu shot, I only really ever got the shot when I was forced to during my 7 years in the military and stopped getting it when I got out of the military 4 years ago (of note-- I don't think I've ever had the flu in my whole life!) However, I might get it this year, again for the same reasons. I'm not being panicked and I'm not buying into hype-- DH and I have debated this a great deal, but in the end it just feels like this is the better choice for us.

MC

I NEVER take any flu shot. I am very healthy and don't catch anything easily, so I don't feel I need it. I only believe those who are highly susceptible to catching viruses or have immune issues (whether due to youth or elderlyness, or immune disorders) should take it and those who seem to catch the flue every year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.