So will you get the shot?

I think you'll be fine. Grandma would have to be shedding virus in order to infect you. And even then, there's no guarantee you'll catch it.

Honestly, I look at it all this way: There's no real great way around this. If not your co-worker and her kids, then you run the risk of being exposed by a restaurant worker, or the check-out girl at the grocery store, or your boss, or some random person at Walgreens, etc.

Eat well, wash your hands, and get the sleep your body needs. :) And here...I'll send some of DH's (annoying!) super-immunity ~vibes~ to you.

If by chance you DO catch H1N1, from what I hear, it behaves like regular flu for the most part with the exception of some added stomach issues. I've known people who had it and recovered well, and you don't appear to be in a high risk category, so there's no reason you'd react any differently.

Just as a point of interest, a doctor friend of my sister's told her that a lot of the H1N1 cases are presenting like allergies.

I too am combating with "keep my immune system healthy" techniques. I've never been a germaphobe but am being *religious* about washing my hands and am carrying a small hand sanitizer with me for the first time ever. Especially since the other day in the grocery store I watched a woman lick her palms, then fiddle with the corn-on-the-cob bags. Not just her fingers to loosen a bag, which would have been bad enough - but a full on lick, lick of each palm before she grabbed the bag. Then of course she proceeded to touch a million other things in the store. Ugh.

Last edited:
Especially since the other day in the grocery store I watched a woman lick her palms, then fiddle with the corn-on-the-cob bags. Not just her fingers to loosen a bag, which would have been bad enough - but a full on lick, lick of each palm before she grabbed the bag. Then of course she proceeded to touch a million other things in the store.
EWWWW!!! *gags*

Aaaaand that's why there's no great way around this! :eek:

My 9 year old DD finished cancer treatment in May & she is in the high risk group. I don't know what to do about this new vaccine.

Olga

I get the flu shot every year, but I don't suffer from any chemo paranoia either. I also make liberal use of hand washing, hand sanitizer, fruits, veggies, garlic, sleep, and relaxing with my animals. I am the primary care giver for mom and I'd like to avoid giving her the creeping crud if possible. ;)

Oh man, Olga. I pray you receive the very best guidance regarding this. <3 May your daughter stay healthy. :)

I'm no expert, and obviously your doctors are in a much, much better position to advise you, but DH seems to be comfortable with vaccine so far. In addition, he finished treatment for cancer in May too (radiation, not chemo), and he's considering getting the vaccine.

We're still making up our minds though. Have you talked to your docs about having Tamiflu in the house? I don't know if your daughter can take it, but it might be worth asking.

Just as a point of interest, a doctor friend of my sister's told her that a lot of the H1N1 cases are presenting like allergies.

I too am combating with "keep my immune system healthy" techniques. I've never been a germaphobe but am being *religious* about washing my hands and am carrying a small hand sanitizer with me for the first time ever. Especially since the other day in the grocery store I watched a woman lick her palms, then fiddle with the corn-on-the-cob bags. Not just her fingers to loosen a bag, which would have been bad enough - but a full on lick, lick of each palm before she grabbed the bag. Then of course she proceeded to touch a million other things in the store. Ugh.

Why on earth would anyone do that?

My 9 year old DD finished cancer treatment in May & she is in the high risk group. I don't know what to do about this new vaccine.

Olga

Sorry that your daughter is going through this :( I hope she is doing well. My suggestion would be to talk it over with your/her primary care provider. Get as much info as you can and make an informed decision.

We get written up for over 13 hours sick time a quarter, so no martyrs here, just necessary. they gave us hand sanitizer though, yippee.

I got the regular shot, probably won't get the H1N1 shot.

Got a type A type flu about 6 years ago and it went into pneumonia. Took me 3 months and two different antibiotics to get over it. The type A flues(which is what the shots target) can be fairly rough to get over.

DD's pediatrician will probably not be giving the shot because it is too new. Just now worth the risk. DD is in a rather high risk group too because when she was younger, she had a flu virus attack her brain, resulting in acute cerebellar ataxia, meaning she could not walk, stand, sit, crawl, etc and her speech was slurred. After about 2 months, she was fully recovered. I would not take the risk with the new vaccine.

That said, I think she is recovering from the swine flu and I think I am getting it from her. The worst she had was a 99.3 fever that did not last even for one morning. She was dizzy and had a headache and her stomach bothered her, and she was congested. The worst lasted a day. The dizziness started a day or two before, and that and the headache are continuing but she is playing fine, just not quite up to speed. As for me, I just have a sore throat and headache, slight dizziness - very slight - and some congestion, which is nothing new to me. If she hadn't been sick, I would assume allergies/sinus congestion for myself. I still plan on a workout today, just not all out and out so that I don't regret it later, just in case.

Olga - hugs and blessings to you and your daughter.

I got my flu shot; my 2 year old will get hers; we will both get the Swine Flu shot when it is available. I got pneumonia once when I was in college--a very bad case--and I really thought I was going to choke to death in my sleep. I would never want my child to go through that--it really scares me.

Also, I saw a news story a few years ago about people with healthy children who died of the common flu. A healthy preteen in Ft. Worth just died of H1N1 last week.

Bottom line--everyone just has to do what they feel comfortable with. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just what everyone's comfort level is with going without a vaccine/going with a vaccine.

Here's to good health this season to ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard anything bad about it. I don't know I probably will get it. My brother in law got H1-N1 and he was sick for over a week. He said it was just awful.

I would never in a gazillion years get this new flu shot. First of all, as previously stated, this has NOT been tested for long term reactions. In 1976, a swine flu vaccination that I don't believe was thoroughly tested if at all, created neurological disorders in many people and it was then pulled. This current swine flu vaccination contains mercury and squalene (amongst other wonderful ingredients) in which the latter was linked to the gulf war syndrome. This is just another money making scheme for the pharmaceutical companies to add to their billion dollar pockets. They saw an opening to capitalize on this flu that came at an opportune time for them. Sadly people get sick or die from the flu each year whatever type it is. Even when you get the regular flu shot, it doesn't prevent you from getting another strain of flu and there are many out there. Please just do your research first if you decide you want to get it. What is really scary is that they want pregnant women to get it, thus affecting their unborn child and children who are 9 or 10 and under to get it not once but TWICE! I am outraged beyond words that innocent children are targeted especially when something that can devastatingly impact their entire life has not been tested. Carolla posted a great link to find out more info and I posted another link off of that website. There's lots of great info on that site if you do a little research. Good luck in making your decision if you're currently on the fence. I am so outraged at how the public is manipulated and how waaaaaaay too many people just take this type of information as gold. On the other hand, I'm very happy to see that all of you on these boards are well informed and care enough to do your research on what is relayed to the public. I also understand that there are exceptions to everything so that's why I encourage everyone to do as much homework as possible before making your decision. O.K. Rant over! :)

Bam

http://www.naturalnews.com/026866_swine_flu_flu_vaccine_swine_flu_vaccine.html

No, I'm pretty sure we've all already had H1N1 in this house. Our local high school has a record number of kids home sick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.