So what are giving up or adding to Lenten practices?

I am doing what I do every year to torture myself...giving up coffee....it's not about the caffeine, but I just really love the aroma and the flavor of coffee, so it really is the supreme sacrifice....ugh, I will have to drink 90 cups between today and wed to fill up for the next 40 days.
Good Luck to everyone! :)

Sugar!

I actually was off of it for over a year and I never felt better. Last year was very stressful and it slowly crept back into my life. I probably have some sort of sugar everyday and it bothers me. For me, it's very addictive, so if I even have a little bit, I want more.

So I'm hoping that giving it up for Lent will get it out of my system again. But I know it's gonna be hard!

I give up meat every year. I don't go entirely vegetarian as I do eat fish - I call it going Catholic vegetarian.

I'm doing 2 things:

1. I'm going to give up sugar for lent. All sugar, well, except for the naturally occuring kind in fruit. This will be hard for me, but like a previous poster, I'm also addicted to sugar and eat way too much of it. I'm hoping this Lenten sacrifice will help with my sugar addiction. :p

2. I'm also going to pray each day. I'm a cradle Catholic and my journey with God is best likened to a rollercoaster, highs and lows. I'm hopeful that daily praying will bring me closer to Him. :)

It is so hard to think of something every year! I have a 'Mary Day by Day' book that I read, so I will probably try to add more prayer and attend all of the church services that I can!

And of course no meat on the days of observance! I might try to cut it out as much as possible, but all I really eat is chicken, I am not a big meat eater anyway...so why give up something that I wouldn't have a hard time without anyway!!

I'm giving up fast food (a horrible confession for a Catheite, I know!) but I AM addicted!
I hadn't thought of the other half of adding something....have to give that one some more thought!

I am giving up alcohol! I have gained a little beer belly pooch so this is much needed! Adding daily prayer and devotional time as well.

Hubby and I made the commitment to read the Bible together or do a study together.

I'm not actually Catholic but I think like to observe Lent and have been doing so for many years. My quilting buddy is Catholic, so she and I help each other along.

I'm also thinking of doing something by myself, also...maybe listening to/for God more.

I give up shopping--been doing it a few years now (by the way, not just Catholics observe Lent--I'm Episcopalian).

It's hubby's favorite time of the year since I'm not spending money (except on groceries, of course).

I'm trying to decide. I thought about attending Mass on Fridays or stations of the cross or Eucharistic Adoration each week through Lent. I even considered giving up some of my online time. :(

I'm a cradle Catholic and my journey with God is best likened to a rollercoaster, highs and lows. I'm hopeful that daily praying will bring me closer to Him. :)

I can identify - though I've been devout (at least for me) for almost the last 4 years. It isn't easy for me though.

I'm giving up sweets. My downfall is chocolate - think chocoholic - but hubby & I give up sweets every year it helps bring my cravings in line & get rid of all those snack attacks.

I am a Catholic in Southern Baptist Alabama...we are a small group, well especially in my town. We should have a lenten support group, just to keep in check!!! Ha!

This year I am giving up some computer time and using the time to reconnect with myself and my life

I am also writing one letter a day to friends and family to tell them how much they mean to me and the impact they have had on my life.

I am doing a once a week volunteer for the food bank as a way to give back, this is to include my 2 young children.

But tomorrow i am celebrating Shrove tuesday and eating everything i want and spending all day on line!!!!

ellie

Pray the Rosary every day for Lent. To help encourage people who want and try to be fit and healthy, so that they achieve a way to fulfill this in themselves. Also I'm going to give up the extra food my body doesn't need.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
I am doing a once a week volunteer for the food bank as a way to give back, this is to include my 2 young children.

ellie

That is geart to include the kids Ellie!! Our boys have joined with us on several church volunteer activities & always have a great time. It's great to teach them young after giving back!

Question - I am a baptist & have never officially participated in lent. Obviously I know you give something up until Easter, right? When does it start? Any other details I should know about - maybe I'll give it a whirl!

I haven't seen anyone giving up Cathe!?! :p

That is geart to include the kids Ellie!! Our boys have joined with us on several church volunteer activities & always have a great time. It's great to teach them young after giving back!

Question - I am a baptist & have never officially participated in lent. Obviously I know you give something up until Easter, right? When does it start? Any other details I should know about - maybe I'll give it a whirl!

I haven't seen anyone giving up Cathe!?! :p

It starts tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, and lasts 40 days (not counting Sundays b/c these are days of celebration). So, whatever you give up you may technically enjoy on Sundays.

atremo11 ~ Not an easy place to be Catholic. A check-in might be a good idea. :D

I still haven't decided. I may give up my daily beverage (soda or tea), save the money, & donate it. I did that a few years ago.

I did google it & found out the basics. I think I will cut back on computer time including the forum - bye again for forty days!! & facebook, spend to much time on there also!
Good luck all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.