So sad my dog won't stop biting!

On another more positive note JONZIE it worked!!! I tried it this morning and it WORKED! I almost cried it worked!!! You are my hero!!! I owe you a latte, . . or a drink, . . for now you'll just have to settle with my extreme gratitude and a cyber hug. I'm going to try not to get to excited because other things have worked temporarily. I'm just going to make sure that both my husband and I are consistent with it.

Yay!!! I'm jumping up and down in my office reading this! It fills me with glee to know it worked. You may still have to do it 49 times (and you'll have to teach the people around him to do it, too) but I just know it will become automatic. You know how the Super Nanny always trains the parents not to sound or appear exasperated even after the 25th time their child gets out of bed? It's kind of like this. There will be days when he gets on your last nerve or catches you off guard...but if you believe in your ability to reinforce it and know that there will be a moment, an actual physical moment in time, when he never does it again...it will get you through.

Can't wait to hear about your progress! And please don't hesitate to e-mail or PM me! I'm never tired of dog stories!

:)Jonezie

Last edited:
I'm so glad this worked for you, Janie! We have an 8 yr. old Golden Retriever, and she was an aggressive puppy! We did the same training that Jonezie suggested and it worked for us too. It instantly changed her focus and she did indeed start licking instead. We praised her then and she'd run and get a toy to play with.

Good luck and hang in there!

Doreen

2-3 months and you are fed up? Seriously??? I understand that you are frustrated, but I also understand what you are going through. I have a 9 month old puppy in my house RIGHT NOW, and we've had him since he was 2 months old - so I know what I'm talking about here, as I'm living it every day. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my dog is VERY well behaved for his age, but he's still very much a **puppy**! At 6 mos old, yours does NOT, in fact, "know better," and he's just now starting to enter his adolescent stage - which means his behavior is going to get *worse* before it gets better for the next couple of months. We are just now feeling like we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for the biggest pain in the butt behavior. All I'm saying is that I think you have an unrealistic view of puppy-hood - it's a long hard road, and you have a while to travel yet. I'm not flaming you, I'm simply telling you like it is.

It is VERY good news that the gagging method is working for the biting! Stay consistent and hopefully that will help. Their teeth are incredibly sharp! Have you found some good books on puppy training and phases of development? If not, that might also help with behavioral expectations.

Good luck!

2-3 months and you are fed up? Seriously??? I understand that you are frustrated, but I also understand what you are going through.

Do you really? Do you live with me? Has your puppy bit you in the face? Do you have kids? So , . .no seriously you don't know what I am going through nor do you understand my frustration. Every dog is different. Even with the best intentions some pet relationships don't work out. It does happen. So with all due respect don't compare your new dog relationship with mine.

Yay!! Janie, I'm so happy that Jonezie's technique is working for you! Now repeat, repeat, repeat!

In Janie's defense, some puppies are easier than others. After talking to Janie for over a month, I'm comfortable saying that Georgie's biting is definitely on the extreme end of what I see in puppies. He isn't showing good inhibition at all and the nipping is not simply in response to stimulating situations. I'm glad that she's found a technique that is working now but she has been trying to do the best thing she could for Georgie for several months.

I have had many puppies and work with dozens and dozens of puppies each year. Every dog and every partnership is different. As someone who does both dog training and rescue, I think its also important to realize when a relationship isn't going to work. I don't think that is the case with Janie and Georgie but I also don't think someone should be crucified if they rehome a dog in a home that is better suited to meeting its needs than they are. In my time working with dogs, I've made that recommendation to 3 people. I don't make it lightly but it is important and fair to the dog to make that decision when it is in everyone's best interest.

Lisa

Do you really? Do you live with me? Has your puppy bit you in the face? Do you have kids? So , . .no seriously you don't know what I am going through nor do you understand my frustration. Every dog is different. Even with the best intentions some pet relationships don't work out. It does happen. So with all due respect don't compare your new dog relationship with mine.

Ummmmmmm, yes I do have kids. Two in fact. And since as I mentioned, we have a puppy, we've *all* been bitten and scratched plenty. PLENTY. And yes, sometimes on the face. I really don't understand why you are so ticked off - all I've been trying to say is that this is *normal* puppy behavior, he's not being bad or doing things out of the ordinary, he's just acting like a *normal* puppy, yet you seem to feel otherwise. But at under 6 months - he is still *very* little (age-wise). I'm REALLY sorry if you don't want to hear that, but .... it's the truth! It's great that you may have found something that will help with this current behavior - awesome. But again, at not yet 6 months old, there will be more to come. It comes with the territory.

Again, I wish you all the best and I hope you can figure out how to make it work. Although you don't seem all that interested in relevant, anecdotal information, for what it's worth, we found that the biting calmed down a *lot* by 8 months and is now completely gone at 9 months.

It's great that you may have found something that will help with this current behavior - awesome. But again, at not yet 6 months old, there will be more to come. It comes with the territory.

Again, I wish you all the best and I hope you can figure out how to make it work. Although you don't seem all that interested in relevant, anecdotal information, for what it's worth, we found that the biting calmed down a *lot* by 8 months and is now completely gone at 9 months.

You know, you have given a great reminder of exactly how much work puppies are. Yeah they are cute and balls of fun, but they are WORK! Which is why I never understood how folks could buy puppies for small children and expect them to be responsible for them.

I remember days after getting Chui, I was standing out in the backyard at 2 am...in the dead of winter saying, 'Go potty Chui, go potty.' :) Luckily for me, Chui wasn't a big biter. He tried to get independent once. I told him to get off the couch, he put his nose in my face and the next thing I knew I heard him peeing! I went to pick him up and he bit me. Not too bad, but it was something I wasn't going to stand for. I grabbed his front paw and bit him back. Not enough to break the skin or anything because I didn't want to hurt him (I didn't plan this either, it just happened) he gave a little yelp, then he came over and sat in my lap. That was the last time he tried to bite me and he was about 4 maybe 5 months. Of course I had a couch that needed my immediate attention so we couldn't make up for too long. ;) And of course I have been biten many times over the years, playing sock puppet, (it amazes me how he can pull that sock off my hand without biting me most of the time), a particularly good treat...you know along those lines.

Now Chui is 13 yrs old, has a tumor that we can't have removed because of his age and he has Cushing's. I know I won't have him much longer, but man I wouldn't change anything I've been through with this crazy mutt of mine. He still loves his walks, his rolls in the grass and of course his turkey!

Jonezie, you are da bomb!

Hokypoky...I've always loved your avatar!!! You and Janie are too sweet. I just know I was m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e when I was puppy training last year. I thought "He's never going to be potty trained!" Then, after 200 times of taking him outside to his "spot", he peed on his puppy pad. And it was like I'd just seen the baby Jesus. Then, I thought, "He's never going to walk on a leash!!!" After working with him ad nauseum, one day he was like "Ohhhhh...now I see what you want me to do." And magically...it changed. In an instant. It was the same with the biting.

Yay!! Janie, I'm so happy that Jonezie's technique is working for you! Now repeat, repeat, repeat!

In Janie's defense, some puppies are easier than others. After talking to Janie for over a month, I'm comfortable saying that Georgie's biting is definitely on the extreme end of what I see in puppies. He isn't showing good inhibition at all and the nipping is not simply in response to stimulating situations. I'm glad that she's found a technique that is working now but she has been trying to do the best thing she could for Georgie for several months.

I have had many puppies and work with dozens and dozens of puppies each year. Every dog and every partnership is different. As someone who does both dog training and rescue, I think its also important to realize when a relationship isn't going to work. I don't think that is the case with Janie and Georgie but I also don't think someone should be crucified if they rehome a dog in a home that is better suited to meeting its needs than they are. In my time working with dogs, I've made that recommendation to 3 people. I don't make it lightly but it is important and fair to the dog to make that decision when it is in everyone's best interest.

Lisa

Lisa...so beautifully said.

Janie...you really will have to train the people around him and the people who come into your home. People think that puppy behavior is cute and will let him get away with things you won't. And they will come into your home with their highest pitch and non-assertive energy and throw George into a tailspin. You will have to say things like "No! He's in a downstay...no touch, no talk, no eye contact please...until I release him."...to people like your best girlfriends, your mother-in-law, and the cable guy. I dreaded it at first, but when I realized it was me who had to live with the consequences of his bad behavior, and that I owe him a pack leader (myself)...I stopped having a problem with it.

The thing is...it seems like it's NEVER going to change. And you'll wonder if you're doing the right thing 100 times a day. But there will be a moment...a moment when the heavens open, and the particular misbehavior you are working on will stop. In an instant. It will be that quick. It's just like raising your children...remember those wonderful moments when they went poopie in the potty the first time or you redirected a misbehavior successfully? I promise you...those moments are coming with George, too!

You are going through the worst of it right now. And still doing your very best. I am so proud of you. We all know how much you love George...and your family. You're the one spinning the plates. And I personally think you are doing a kick ass job.

:) Jonezie

I don't think breaking the skin on numerous occassions and biting in the face is "normal" puppy behavior. Without knowing the dog and seeing the interaction with the owner it is next to impossible to judge what the underlying issue is. It may be aggression or dominance, or it may be that he hasn't learned bite inhibition yet. I really think this needs to be dealt with and dealt with fast because there are 2 kids in the house. The thing that causes me concern is that if you yell "no", his reaction is another bite.

I think you mentioned that Georgie had been returned to the rescue at least once before. I am not sure why they would give a dog who is known to have had some issues to a novice dog owner. Can you go back to where you adopted Georgie from and ask for help? Obviously you don't want to return him but it is also obvious that you need help because you have a dog who (in my opinion) should have not been given to someone with no experience. That being said, Georgie may even be a challenge for someone WITH experience. I don't think you did anything wrong but it sounds like this is a dog who needs a little more work. Most rescue places have volunteers or dog trainer/dog behaviorists and they may be able to help you at no cost, or maybe for a minimal charge.

You shouldn't have to pay $ 155 per hour for a dog behaviorist (which by the way I think is outrageously high, even for CA).

I didn't have that problem with either one of my dogs (I had other problems with them though :eek: - I think every puppy presents a different challenge) but I have worked with people whose dogs have been mouthing excessively. Here is what has helped.

Socialize your dog with other puppies in a controlled environment (puppy classes). They will learn bite inhibition fairly quickly, if they bite a playmate too hard, the other puppy will start yelping and stop playing. Mirror this behavior with Georgie, if he bites, yelp loud and turn away from him. If the yelping doesn't work or it just feels too silly to do it, just say 'uh-uh', or 'too bad', or whatever else comes natural to you and stay consistant with that. Continue to play with him but 3 strikes and he is out, meaning if he continues to bite too hard, he goes in a time out. Keep a leash on him and calmly lead him to a designated area. Contrary, if he licks your hand or behaves, praise him and/or give him a treat.

Basically, teach him gentle = play will continue, painful = play stops.

As you move along tighten the rules a little more and expect less and less interaction with your skin. You can also make him sit, put a treat in your hand, closed fist and put it in front of his nose and tell him "gentle". If he snaps at your hand or nibbles too hard, take the hand away and turn away. Try it again after a few seconds, and give him the treat if he waits patiently and there is no biting. Extend the time that he needs to behave with every session. Try and work on this every day for 5 to 15 min.

I am sure you are not doing it anyway but sometimes it is difficult not to, especially when he bites hard but try and not jerk your hands away. Jerky movements often seem like a game to a dog and encourage them to jump forward or grab you. Never hit or slap as a response to a bite. I know it is often a defense reflex but try and prepare yourself and resist the impulse.

I believe he is only 6 months, so I am sure he is still teething. Give him lots of chew toys. Mine get raw buffalo bones or venison bones. It keeps them happy and their teeth clean.

HTH

Last edited:
All I want to say is YAY!!!!! Janie, I really hope this consistently teaches Georgie to stop biting! I know it's going to work, that is! I will continue to send positive energy for your success! I couldn't imagine having to take a puppy back, but sometimes it is necessary - sad, but necessary. I do believe persistence pays off, though!

My female beagle, Peanut, was tough to train! She thinks, even still, that she's Alpha. For two years, I wiped pee off the floor sometimes 10 or more times a day! She had to have my undivided attention at all times! It is frustrating and difficult, but sometimes it pays off in enormous dividends! Of course, I never had to deal with biting from any of my dogs, so I couldn't even begin to imagine what you have been going through!

Continued success is my hope for you Janie! Keep us posted!

I remember days after getting Chui, I was standing out in the backyard at 2 am...in the dead of winter saying, 'Go potty Chui, go potty.' :) Luckily for me, Chui wasn't a big biter. He tried to get independent once. I told him to get off the couch, he put his nose in my face and the next thing I knew I heard him peeing! I went to pick him up and he bit me. Not too bad, but it was something I wasn't going to stand for. I grabbed his front paw and bit him back. Not enough to break the skin or anything because I didn't want to hurt him (I didn't plan this either, it just happened) he gave a little yelp, then he came over and sat in my lap. That was the last time he tried to bite me and he was about 4 maybe 5 months. Of course I had a couch that needed my immediate attention so we couldn't make up for too long. ;) And of course I have been biten many times over the years, playing sock puppet, (it amazes me how he can pull that sock off my hand without biting me most of the time), a particularly good treat...you know along those lines.

Now Chui is 13 yrs old, has a tumor that we can't have removed because of his age and he has Cushing's. I know I won't have him much longer, but man I wouldn't change anything I've been through with this crazy mutt of mine. He still loves his walks, his rolls in the grass and of course his turkey!

DEEDEE,

I LOVE that you bit him back! My mom did that with me as a kid and I never did it again. PS...I play sock puppet with my dog, too...only, the socks are usually ripped off my feet as I'm attempting to walk or sit quietly minding my own business, unaware of the impending attack. And mine, too, has figured out how to get just the end of the sock without taking my phalanges with them. I love your Chui story...what a precious boy.

DEEDEE,

I LOVE that you bit him back! My mom did that with me as a kid and I never did it again. PS...I play sock puppet with my dog, too...only, the socks are usually ripped off my feet as I'm attempting to walk or sit quietly minding my own business, unaware of the impending attack. And mine, too, has figured out how to get just the end of the sock without taking my phalanges with them. I love your Chui story...what a precious boy.

That is too funny Jonezie. You get jumped! I put the sock on my hand and he chases it then he just grabs the sock and yanks if off, then shakes it for good measure. Then he comes over all proud that he saved my hand from the sock and he is looking for a treat.:p

Janie,

(((Hugs))) those bites look very painful! I raised two puppies and never received bite wounds like that. No bites to the face either, I would not stand for it. That is not normal puppy behavior and I understand why you are concerned for the safety of your children.

I'm glad Joenzie's technique is helping, but please,please, please sign up for a group training class! You need it. Don't take offense to this, but you have never raised a dog before. You need the one on one help and the group support a class provides. You can't get all the answers from a book. I sign up for puppy and obedience classes with every dog I own, that way I have an instructor available every week to answer questions and address concerns. Heck, sometimes the instructor will pick up on a problem that I'm not aware exists. You learn from the other dogs too. It's just a great experience with the right teacher/school. I believe every dog should go through a mandatory training class. JMO

I chuckled when I read Gayle's response about older dog's being the best teachers. ITA with her.:) My son's girlfriend rescued a stray puppy shepherd mix and comes to our house for play dates with Maximus. There are times Maximus corrects Achilles and he sounds like a crotchety old man. I can't believe my eyes though, Achilles straightens up and comes back a more respectful puppy. Maximus doesn't harm the puppy in any way, he just lets him know when he's gone too far. Achilles loves coming to our house and he loves playing with Maximus. Animals are amazing. :)

Amber, thanks for your response. My Maggie sounds exactly like your Montana. Some people she just loves and others she gets mouthy at. I can't predict who she will like and not like. We love her to death, we are just very watchful of her and make sure we are with her when strangers are around. I would still have another Weinie in a second, they are just such a unique breed.

Wishing you the best with your puppy's training. Here was an interesting article that I found. Maybe it can be of some help. I think group lessons are a big plus as others have recommended. They help you learn how to train and they help socialize the dog. Having a dog that breaks the skin can be scary for even a seasoned dog person so getting as much information like you are doing is very wise.

http://www.helium.com/items/111375-loving-your-aggressive-dog-into-submission

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.