So if I am on the South Beach Diet...

Heidisue

Cathlete
phase 1, then what can I eat for breakfast before working out? I would think I need some sort of carbs or would I be okay with my usual egg and veggie omelet? I have been wanting to do SB for a while (worked great for my husband) since I am a carb and sugar junkie! Any ideas are greatly appreciated (even if you are not on SB, what do you eat early in the morning before your workout?).

I follow a diet where I eat ZERO bread/pasta/grains/etc and don't have a problem with my workouts. My doctor explained that fruit and veggies have all the carbs you need. At first it was a little difficult but now I feel AWFUL when I eat that stuff. For breakfast I eat eggs scrambled w/ peppers &or mushrooms and a little crumbled bacon. I also eat a some fruit, usually with a little peanut butter. I am sooooo much less bloated and feel incredible! Good luck to you!

The veggie omelet should be fine. Berries are a fabulous source of healthy carbs too. Grain is over rated imho. I only eat it as a treat. I'm a sugar/carb addict too. Its easiest to not start with the carbs because for some reason I can always justify another bite.:p:rolleyes: I'm not as strict with my carbs as I should be, I am insulin resistant and I do know better. Going off gluten helped. I'm working on being as clean as possible.

Other options are legumes, depending on your workout (you don't want to be putt-putting all the way through it!) But maybe you don't have to eat before you work out anyway- I don't have breakfast before a workout if it's in the morning. I don't like the food in my stomach and my appetite isn't there until after my workout anyway. The food I ate for dinner the night before gives me enough energy for the workout.

I work out early in the morning also and never eat before. I have a cup of tea and that is it. Afterwards I walk the dogs and then have breakfast. I don't like working out after eating--not even after having a shake.

Great ideas. I think I will try not eating before I work out and compare it to having fruit, etc. See how I feel. It'd be way nice to just be able to get up and dress then workout vs trying to make something in the short amount of time I do have. 10 more minutes of sleep would be wonderful!!!!

You know years ago I tried to do the SB diet and I just couldn't make it through the first two weeks without breads. I was always hungry I mean I can only eat so much turkey and chicken breast, lean beef and veggies, after four very miserable days, I decided to just jump in at week 3 and it worked out great..for me. Oh and it didn't help that I gained 4oz in those four days.:-(

Yeah, SB is not going so well!!!! I have all this Easter candy around and I don't have the will power to throw it away. :( I'd be doing great if I started on week 3 in SB. It's still super healthy.

You know years ago I tried to do the SB diet and I just couldn't make it through the first two weeks without breads. I was always hungry I mean I can only eat so much turkey and chicken breast, lean beef and veggies, after four very miserable days, I decided to just jump in at week 3 and it worked out great..for me. Oh and it didn't help that I gained 4oz in those four days.:-(

I tried it also and didn't even make it through the first day. By that evening I felt sick and shakey, like I hadn't eaten anything for days.

I might just try this, and jump in at week 3.

I have successfully used SB diet after my last three pregnancies. They worked fine & I was able to keep up with my nursing & two-hour workouts/day postparteum.

After you are strong enough to throw away the Easter candy...give it another whirl. The first three days are the worst....but there are so many great options & you can make it work. It's just two weeks!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.