So Frustrated!!

nspire

Cathlete
I can't believe it!! I'm leaving work today and see co-worker/friend who I see maybe one to two weekends out of the month and she's dropped 10 lbs within a matter of a few weeks. Here I am working out 5-6 dys a week for an can't drop a pound and she's down 10lbs w/o even lifting so much as a 3lb weight.

It was so frustrating to see and it just seemed so unfair. She could tell I was shocked when I saw her because the first thing out of her mouth was "I've been stressing and can't seem to eat." I just felt so defeated!! Can someone hand me a bottle of stress.

Sorry guys, just venting.

Vent away - many people lose weight but not in a healthy manner. That being said, I remember some of my "lower weight days" where I didn't eat and the more I didn't eat the less hungry I got. I was thinner, yes, and flabbier, and my body was receiving less nutrition and my my fingernails broke all the time and my hair didn't shine, blah blah blah - I know you get the point.

Now I sit across from a person who had lap band and eats junk food and is losing weight and here I bust my behind and can't lost the fat. Well I have to say I look tons better than her since I eat right, can exercise, don't throw up the food I eat and I tell you she looks worse now cuz the extra fat has left her skin saggy, flabby and wrinkly - YUCK !

Try focusing on yourself and how you feel. Then if what you are doing isn't working for you, look for info on what you can do to switch things up a bit. Most of the time it comes down to eating habits/patterns. If you are getting your weight & cardio workouts in weekly then eating would be the best focus. If your eating habits are good then perhaps you need to switch up your exercise plan.

There is lots of info here on the board to give you ideas on new ways to try to budge the lbs. that you are looking to get rid of. Experiment a little and make sure to give your body time to adjust to the new routine.

Hope it all works out for you.

She lost weight because she was eating less

That's what she said. You can do the same - exercising more is not the answer - you have to WATCH WHAT YOU EAT!!!!!!!!! Get a for-real-no-kidding handle on what you're eating, see where you can make changes, eat less, and you'll lose weight, too.

As for you're friend, when her stresses are behind her, she'll no doubt gain that weight back.

Yup, it all comes down to diet, that's for sure. Working out intensely for an hour a day may burn 500 calories, but all that is undone with just one peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Exercise for health and fitness, eat less to lose fat. Fact of life, for me anyway.

I just want to say that, having been there, stress is NOT the way you want to lose weight! I know it's hard for those of us (including me) to drop the weight without eating better, working out regularly, etc., but it's more permanent.

I went through a period in my life in the not too distant past that had my appetite so suppressed I couldn't eat anything until the afternoon and even then as the days passed, I was eating less and less of it and no dinner. Before I knew it, I was eating nothing and just having my coffee and water. Yes, I lost a ton of weight, but I was close to depression and suicide (yes, it was that bad). I don't really talk about this time in my life much.

It is not the best way to go! So, yes, your friend is losing weight, but if it really is stress, it won't be long before she's over it and starts eating again and gains it back.

Hang in there! Keep working, change up your routine, go easier and watch your foods and how much you're eating and you'll start seeing the changes! Don't let her get you down. She's not healthy and you are!

Weight is not everything. I was at my lowest weight after having my first DD and I was skinny. My weight was too low since I didn't get to work out (like a real workout) the last few months of pregnancy, I lost muscle and I was bf. I'm about 15 lbs heavier now and have muscle and look much better. I don't even own a scale since the number on the scale is not always a good indicator of how healthy I am. If you are eating healthy & working out 5-6 days a week you are doing the right thing :)

When I went thru a stressful breakup many years ago I had no appetite. I tried to eat and couldn't. I lost 22 pounds in 3 weeks. I really did try eating and would put food in my mouth but would chew and chew and couldn't swallow much. A few months later I had gained back most of the weight. I wasn't trying to lose weight at the time.

If your friend is going thru something stressful try and be a good friend. The weight is going to go back on her at some point. Please be there for her. Does she really want to lose the weight? She will have a hard time keeping it off if she was trying to lose weight.

It is disappointing to not see the scale go down when we work so hard.

Losing weight because you are too stressed to eat is NOT healthy...or permanent. I know because it happened to me when my boyfriend died 10 years ago. I lost about 20 lbs in 6 weeks.....not good and trust me when I tell you--NO FUN.

Why would you be jealous of that?? And feel "defeated"? I think you are missing the point....she's so stressed she can't eat. Think about that. Do you really consider that a good thing?? Is that the way you would chose to lose weight for yourself? To have things so bad/stressful in your life that you can't eat?? Or would you rather be eating healthy and exercising regularly?

Having been where she is, I feel bad for her. And yes I did eventually gain it all back...and then some.

I can't believe it!! I'm leaving work today and see co-worker/friend who I see maybe one to two weekends out of the month and she's dropped 10 lbs within a matter of a few weeks. Here I am working out 5-6 dys a week for an can't drop a pound and she's down 10lbs w/o even lifting so much as a 3lb weight.

It was so frustrating to see and it just seemed so unfair. She could tell I was shocked when I saw her because the first thing out of her mouth was "I've been stressing and can't seem to eat." I just felt so defeated!! Can someone hand me a bottle of stress.

Sorry guys, just venting.

Trust me, . . . lose it the right way. It is a life style change, . . no need to be jealous, . .she'll gain it right back plus 10 more.

BTW, . . I just lost 5 lbs in 6 days from little sleep 2-3 hours a night, lack of eating, . . and when I say lack of eating I'm talking probably 500 calories a day if not less and I've been running 6 miles a day.

My dear mother in law just died and I'm really having a hard time accepting it. I can't sleep, have no urge for food , and I run a lot because I miss her so much it hurts. Trust me if I could bottle up my stress and sadness to give away so I wouldn't feel it, . . I would. :(

I could lose weight in the first week of any diet, but after that (even while eating clean) the weight would seem to stop, or slow down to a crawl. And I'm sorry, but when you have over 100lbs to lose, 2-4lbs a month just won't do it. My doctor said that my body adjusts really fast and that is why the weight slows so much. He introduced calorie staggering to me and I tell you, for me, it did wonders! I kept it simple, my average daily caloric intake was 1600 and I staggered them throught the week, 2-1250 cal days, 3-1600 cal days and 2-1950 cal days. I kept my food clean except for the occassional Oreo 100 cal snack pack.:) The weight came off much faster, and it has stayed of for over 7 yrs. I didn't kill myself with exercise (unless I wanted to :) ) but needless to say as the weight came off, the workouts got easier and a hell of a lot more fun!

I don't know if this is something you have already tried or not but, hang in there. We all know life is no where near fair when it comes to who gains weight, how easily we gain or lose it and what methods work for who to get rid of it. Or where we lose it! I tell you I lost fat from my boobs and legs before my gut even started to think about going down...NOT A PRETTY PICTURE! :)

Is not about the weight, is about been healthy and strong. I have a friend how lost a ton of weight, but she is not firm, she does not have muscle.
I was reviewing Isanity DVD's with her and she does not have the endurance and strength to do any of this workouts.
So don't worry I bet you are 100 times better than this person, because ones she feel better all that weight she last she 'll get it back on.

Thanks for your replies. I under no circumstances would want to down play anyone's stresses in life, and am worried about my friend. We've been furloughed for three days out the month and she's probably having a hard time making ends meet. However, I did realize that it's about what/how much you eat.

Another thing I realized is that it's not always about lifting weights either. I work in a prison and studied how is it they have no weights, yet are fit and cut. They jog and do weightless exercises however their bodies look fantastic. Oh course I wouldn't tell them that.

Another thing I realized is that it's not always about lifting weights either. I work in a prison and studied how is it they have no weights, yet are fit and cut. They jog and do weightless exercises however their bodies look fantastic. Oh course I wouldn't tell them that.

This makes snese that the people in the prison are fit and cut, . . . .they have portion controled meals and work out using their own body weight.

Heck, . . . you work at a prison, can out lift your friend with heavier weights, and can get through Cathe work outs, . . . .you are stronger in many ways, . . than most people are. :)

Don't worry about how your friend is losing wieght. Just keep on doing what you are doing.

Four years ago I found out that I was a type 2 Diabetic. (It runs in my family.) I was told to lose 35 lbs. I did just that. I lost 35 lbs in 4 months by exercising a little and eating 5 small meals a day. (I ate healthy, but not enough.) I lost the weight too fast. I looked good with clothes on but underneath my skin hung. Within 3 years the weight came back on. I am eating healthier now and exercising more. The weight is coming off again at a slower pace and my skin doesn't hang. It is the combination of eating good and exercise that works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.