Since there is so much controversy right now.....

ITA!! I am not for any one party. However, I am VERY disappointed about the inaction of our federal government. You have the Democrats who have the LARGEST MAJORITY EVER not able to do ANYTHING. On the other side of the aisle, you have Senator Shelby holding up federal nominations to secure PORK for his home state of Alabama and Senator Bunning holding up extensions of jobless benefits. THEN you have the Republican National Committee meeting IN HAWAII where they talked about the importance of fiscal responsibility. Ummm, yeah, ok!! ARRRGGGHHH!!! I say throw them ALL out and get new NORMAL people in with term limits!!

Phew, you would never know I have strong feelings on the subject, would ya;)?!

Carrie

The only problem with that, is there are no "NORMAL" people in government. :D

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING 'BOUT!

Melissa

These guys are/were NORMAL people. Politicians aren't special, and if you listen to some of them you wonder how the heck did that moron/whacko/dummy get elected. We elected them and their behavior is a reflection of our society.

and that's all I'm gonna say. I mean it. seriously.

Nope

Never did and certainly don't now.

But I did not give this a bad star . . .

Very good thread.

These guys are/were NORMAL people. Politicians aren't special, and if you listen to some of them you wonder how the heck did that moron/whacko/dummy get elected. We elected them and their behavior is a reflection of our society.

and that's all I'm gonna say. I mean it. seriously.

If politicians are normal, that says some seriously messed up things about humanity. Maybe they were normal and went in with lots of great ideas. Is government the epitomy of "power corrupts"? The worst part is, once elected, congressman are seldom "unelected." Hence the need for term limits!

Carrie

P.S. WNP - sorry for hi-jacking a funny thread with seriousness. I just get SOOOO frustrated by the inaction in Washington (and even my own state capitol).

If politicians are normal, that says some seriously messed up things about humanity. Maybe they were normal and went in with lots of great ideas. Is government the epitomy of "power corrupts"? The worst part is, once elected, congressman are seldom "unelected." Hence the need for term limits!

Carrie

P.S. WNP - sorry for hi-jacking a funny thread with seriousness. I just get SOOOO frustrated by the inaction in Washington (and even my own state capitol).

Personally, I don't think term limits would change anything. Unless you change election financing things will continue like this. Most politicians have to serve the special interest groups who finance their election/re-election
I think there are some great politicians out there and I have great respect for them because they seem to genuinely care and want to make a difference but there are very few. Some of them though just make me want to get my son's slingshot out :eek::mad:

I share the same frustrations as you do, Carrie, about the gridlock in Washington. Flippin' idiots, forget about politics and do what's right for the country! Geez!!

Carrie and Carola - I think many people are frustrated (as well as myself) no matter who they voted for.

It's been a disappointed year for politics as a whole.

A. still like Obama

B. Politics is awesome- it is the only game in town for avoiding wars, blood death and destruction. As it is run by human beings, it isn't always successful at doing that, but that is why politics exists - to try to find alternate ways for human beings to solve their differences than just murdering each other.

C. Saying that politicians should just put differences aside and do what's good for the country is problematic, just because everyone has very different ideas about what's good for the country. When all the politicians think the same way, that's generally called a dictatorship.

a. The political class is corrupt and out of touch with the average Joe/Jane.

b. Obama is looking like an empty suit and squandered his political capital by handing control over to the corrupt political class (Congress).

c. We are in deep trouble because no one wants to face the real problems of entitlements we can't afford, and government worker's pensions and benefits that we can't continue to promise when everyone knows the budget is not sustainable.

d. Until the public wakes up to the reality that the government can't solve our problems, nothing will change.

(I'm an independent who supported Obama).

True dat, Gayle.

But what I think is whacked about politicians is how many conservative anti-gay politicians turn out to have a penchant for male prostitutes or the like. Hmm. And I'm not trying to be partisan here--liberal politicians also have plenty of scandals--it just seems more scandalous when the pol in question has been ranting against what he's caught doing....

I'm an Independent who just thinks there's entirely too much spending going on by our government. The current administration in my view is pushing us over the edge. Plus there's more lobbyists and corruption than ever, probably more.
In regards to Sen Bunning, I did want to point out that he's not against unemployment benefits. He just wants them paid for, preferably with the 10 million left over from the "stimulus" and thinks that we should be following the "Paygo" law that Obama himself was behind. That is, if we don't have the money for something, then it doesn't go through. I think that's pretty responsible and brave of him considering he had to know he'd be roasted by the media---"Sen. Bunning Hates the Unemployed" kind of headlines...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.