Shoe Recommendations

sjdavis

Cathlete
I'm moving this question to the Open Discussion because I haven't had any responses in the product section. Thanks for any input.

I would love some recommendations for shoes. I've been using Brooks "minimalist" and I really like them, but am always looking for something with more side support. Anyone have any great shoe suggestions?

Wow I have brooks minimalist well it is the defiance 5 I think? I live them! I run kick box but I can't do step to great or lateral moves to well because lack of side support!
I wish I could tell ya but I have tried asics uptempo and they do okay for side support but I can't run in them very long because it doesn't have the cushion under like the brooks does! I had PF for six months and the only shoe the bottom if my foot liked was brooks they were no arches that was high and hurt and I can jog in them but I found doing HIIT workouts and boot camp is hard to do in them because no side support. I wish brooks made a cross trainer shoe. Until they do I use asics uptempo for the HIIT because of lateral movements. And my foot is okay unless I try to wear them for over two hours. Then the arches start to feel twingy. I have tried gravity defyers they err way to heavy and didn't not feel springy! I felt like I was wearing the old sketchers that was rockers ?? They were heavy as well, remember the toning shoes that's what it felt like. I also tried run 100 by k Swiss now those are good for running to but again no lateral support. But good to jog in. I just gave up! I hope someone can answer this wonderful question!!

Mizuno makes a good shoe, it's actually really a running shoe, but it's got a good hard shell, the ones that look like saddle shoes, I especially like these for kickboxing & heavy bag work.

I got them so long ago I forgot what they were called.

Honestly, I would go to a specialty shoe store (running and other activities) and have a knowledgeable sales person help you. They will be able to fit you with what will work for you based on your feet, your stride, your particular activity. It really doesn't help to hear what works for other people. Everybody is different.

I was fitted with Mizuno Wave Riders for running about 10 years ago, and I've been wearing them ever since. I just keep buying the same make and model when mine wear out.

I would just google running shoe stores in your area. Even though they say they are "running" shoe stores, they can help you with other type sports shoes too.

Good luck!

I like Asics Gel Intensity for HIIT. I've had the original and GI2. I'm not seeing any new styles of this shoe though.

Lisa

These are my favorites as well. I don't know what I am going to do if they stop making them. I have wasted more money on trying to find something that's close!

Last edited:
That is what I did, I went to a running store to get fitted. They picked the brooks and I was very happy. But they didn't have the cross training shoes. It was called fleet feet.

I found mine through the running store nearby, and I really like them, but the sides give out pretty quickly with all of the lateral moves. Thanks everyone for your input.

I found mine through the running store nearby, and I really like them, but the sides give out pretty quickly with all of the lateral moves. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have the same problem with running shoes and they really are not comfortable for me to use for high impact, which is the majorty of my cardio work. The Ascis seem to be the best for the lateral moves.

Unfortunately, it appears Asics has stopped making the Gel-Intensity model. Much to my chagrin. Because of the lack of lateral support, running shoes aren't appropriate for me, biomechanically, for HiiT, step, or kickboxing. I'll probably wear one of Asics' volleyball shoes when my supply of Gel-Intensities wear out. They seem to offer the right amount of lateral support, cushioning, and stability.

For those of you who like the Asics Gel Intensity, I recd this reply from Asics Support:

If you liked the Gel-Intensity, you may want to try the Gel-Synthesis or the Gel-Craze

I have Asics running shoes

I have Asics running shoes, but Ryka makes the best studio shoes. I hate to tell you how long I have beenworking out as it really ages me.

I started with Asics, went to Shox after getting PF, and then went to Ryka. I don't need to look any further, I love Ryka. I have 3 different styles and love all three, especially for high impact, step, kickboxing, you name it. I did Zumba in them also and the lateral support is sweet!

I started with Asics, went to Shox after getting PF, and then went to Ryka. I don't need to look any further, I love Ryka. I have 3 different styles and love all three, especially for high impact, step, kickboxing, you name it. I did Zumba in them also and the lateral support is sweet!

Conni,
Which Ryka do you prefer for high impact??? I loved the rounded toe of the Assist 2 (I think that was the name) that everyone had for the LIS series , but I needed more cushiness for Cathe's higher impact DVDs.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Ryka Enhance 2 shoes for step and HIIT and I love them! I've worn them for about a week now and they are much better than the Under Armour I was fitted with.

Susan:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.