Shoe Dilemma--Help!

motherofsix

Cathlete
I have been trying to decide on some new shoes. I called the Ryka people yesterday. The lady seemed very unknowledgable about their shoes. And I have read some posts here lately that said their quality isn't as good as it used to be. And their prices--ouch!!! I tried on some New Balance running shoes but have read some posts that say New Balance Cross Trainers are better. I put superfeet insoles in my shoes cause I have problems with my feet. I have been wearing one pair of nikes to workout in and one pair the rest of the time. Both have the superfeet insoles and I have been wearing them for a little over a year.
I would like to just buy one pair and wear them all the time. Money is tight but I have get new shoes. I know I will have to get new ones sooner, but can't afford 2 pair right now.
We have a Footlocker nearby that carries New Balance Cross Trainers. Any recommendations on the style?
Anybody have feet that just love their shoes?
Mine are not happy right now and I need to do something.
I have cut down on the stepping. Did premixes of both Step Blast and Step Jump Pump without the step yesterday and my feet did fine.
Once I get some new Shoes and inserts I would like to try a 4 inch step and see how both my knees and feet react.
Thanks in advance,
Heather

Hi Heather,
I'm just wondering what size you wear because I have a pair of Ryka cross trainers sitting at home that are too small for me. They are low tops - can't remember the model name.

I've had good success with Ryka's although I've liked some models more than others. I really like the Iseum's (I believe that is what Cathe is wearing in Body Blast) I bought some New Balance, I don't like them for stepping/aerobics. They are too wide in some places and my foot slides around. Another pair I have are treaded on the bottom and get stuck on the grid on the step. Oh also, I would not use runners for step or aerobics.

Not much help, am I? LOL
-joy

Hello Joy,
I wear a 9 1/2. Yes, big I know. I inherited them from my mom and dad.
Thanks for you input about the Ryka Iseums.
Heather

Hi Heather, shoes are also tough for me. I'm not particular with brands and models as there have been times when I bought a cheaper brand (like Avia) and they fit better and lasted just as long as the more expensive kinds. I don't buy shoes online. I have to try them on at the store and be able to hop around in them with the same kind of socks I wear when working out. I wear a 6.5 but my feet are narrow BUT not that narrow I have to get a special size. I also have high arches, which have to fit in the shoe perfectly. Right now I wear Reeboks that fit me perfectly with the inserts I got. But now they're worn out and I'm sad that they have to go. I got Rykas (not the Iseum) but they pinch the outer sides of my feet. I'd like to try out New Balance but they cost a fortune here in Dallas. I may have to drive for hours to those small town outlet malls just to get a good deal on shoes. I've never been this particular about footwear until I found Cathe. You can't have shabby footwear when doing her workouts. You gotta have all the support you can get.:) Sorry I'm not much help.

Pinky

I ordered a pair of Freddy's last September and I love them! They are pricey - mine cost $100 - but I like them! I have real bad knees so shoes are extremely important - as much padding as possible!

Can you go somewhere like Fleet Feet and have someone fit you for shoes? I was recently diagnosed with PF and determined after researching it that I "had" to have a particular shoe. Turns out it is completely wrong for me. After trying on several brands and styles, I found a great shoe for me; happens to be new balance.

Colleen

Hi Heather,
Yep the shoes I have won't fit you BUT I want to say that if you decide to get Iseums get a size 10. I usually wear a 9 but have a 9 1/2 in the Ryka's
-joy

I had an ankle injury and learned a lot about athletic shoes from my doc. I did not realize that we all have a specific walk... I over pronate when I walk.. so my physical therapist told me to go to a Runners store.. so I went to RunnersWorld and they showed me all the shoes that were for over-pronation. I have been wearing Asics for several years and I love them and my feet and ankle also love them:) :) :) :) These shoes also made a big difference in my ankle recovery...
Hope this helps. Once you find out how you walk then you buy the shoe that works for you....
Bev

What sort of foot do you have, Heather? Mine are high-arched and narrow which means they don't absorb shock well. I over-pronate severely and wear custom orthotics. You should not wear running shoes for aerobics. The don't have the lateral support needed. I love New Balance shoes and like Nike. The New Balance WX 1004 is my favorite. They've been discontiued but areavailable online at a discounted price. I tried Freddy's but they made my feet hurt. The sort of foot you have and the type of gait is very important when it comes to finding a shoe you love and I strongly feel you should love your shoes. Know thy feet is my creedo. Bad feet stink, lol! And I know whereof I speak! http://www.onlineshoes.com/search_results.asp?gen=w&searchstring=WX+1004ℑ.x=8ℑ.y=6
Bobbi "Chick's rule!" http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif

My feet are very happy with my new KSwiss Chilton IIs. I use Superfeet Orthotic inserts in them. These inserts are rigid fabric- covered plastic that gives under pressure.

These shoes have tremendous lateral support and the sole is not too grippy. I find they are great for working out on carpet. They work on other surfaces too.

Best of all, I got them for under $20 a pair, at Lady Foot Locker, 4 to 6 weeks ago. Try them on in case your feet like them too.

-Connie

>I really like the Iseum's (I believe
>that is what Cathe is wearing in Body Blast)

I wanted to buy a new pair of shoes and was wondering is that what Cathe is wearing.
I love my current Rykas but they are running shoes.

Hi Heather,

Just today I bought a new pair of New Balance cross-trainers! I am fortunate to live near one of the NB concept stores, where they have terrific, knowledgeable staff who carefully measure your feet and inquire about your activities to help fit you to the right shoe. I came home with the WX1006 (successor to the WX1004 that Bobbi mentioned), and I love it. Not cheap, but definitely the right shoe for me. My previous pair -- which had worn out, hence my trip to the store to replace them -- was the WX852. I liked those too, for the stability, but my foot has changed shape slightly and the 1006 was a better fit. Also it is lighter weight and is suitable for running, should I add that to my routine in the spring.

Good luck finding your perfect pair!

:)
Martha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.