She's gotta move it move it

morningstar

Cathlete
Hey guys,

I need new workout music suggestions! My tastes for music to run or dance to are along the lines of a fifteen year old girl's - Britney Spears, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Pussycat Dolls, Timbaland (to represent the gents), Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Black Eyed Peas, that kind of thing. But I'm feeling like my playlists are a little stale and could use some new blood. Do any of you have any suggestions for particular songs by other artists that may fit my rather juvenile tastes? It doesn't have to be socially redeeming or particularly intelligent, it just has to make me want to move to the beat.

Thanks!

I've been listening to quite a bit of Estelle, Colette, Samantha James, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Thievery Corporation, People Under the Stairs, Fat Boy Slim, and Santogold.

It might take some searching, but if you can find any old CD's by "Five", they have some good songs for working out. Now mind you, they are kind of a slightly stronger/dirtier version of Backstreet Boys, but they definitely have that teeny bopper make you want to dance kind of sound. They only had 2 CD's back in the 90's. I pulled them out when I was cleaning this past weekend and was getting "jiggy with it" while vacuuming. Maybe that's why my leg hurts so bad? ;) "Boys Like Girls" might have some good tracks too. I'd have to go back and listen to their cd's though. I mainly stick to Breaking Ben, 3 Days Grace, Shinedown, Seether, Linkin Park, Skillet, Rev Theory, Disturbed, Saliva, and Red for my workouts. ;)

My workout music tastes are exactly as you describe yours.

Here's a quick list of some of the songs on my playlist that you might not have:

Ashlee Simpson – L.O.V.E.
Beyonce’ – If I Were a Boy
Rhianna – Breaking Dishes
Butthole Surfers – Pepper
Butthole Surfers – The Shame of Life
Harry Nilson – Coconut
Harry Nilson – Jump Into the Fire
Jamie Cullum – Get Your Way
Janet Jackson – Feedback
Jody Watley – Looking for a New Love
The Jets – Rocket 2 U
Kristinia DeBarge – Goodbye
Maroon 5 – any song on Songs About Jane CD
Sir Mix A lot – Baby Got Back

And I love any and all Weezer!

My apologies...I was thinking you were looking form something a little more "grown up" ;) If you like a good beat though, you may enjoy some of the artists on the list I made.

Thanks guys! Some I already have, but most I don't and am eager to try them out.

And nope, Beavs, not looking for anything more grown up for my workouts, as I already have very eclectic tastes for non-workout music. I like the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim and some Crystal Method too, so I'll give the rest of the artists a chance.

Liann, I remember 5ive! I'll look 'em up!

Laughing at "Baby Got Back" - you're right- that is a great song!

I'll definitely be giving all of your suggestions a go.

Hmmmm.....

"Ready to go" by Republica
"Shake That" Emimem w/ Akon
The song from 8 mile by Emimem - can't think of the name
"Dirty" by Christina Aguilera
"Fighter" by Christina Aguilera
"Pray" by Disturbed
"Liberate" by Disturbed
"Darling Nikki" by Prince
"Let's Go Crazy" by Prince
"Kickstart My Heart" by Motley Crue
Older NIN - stuff from the "Pretty Hate Machine" album
"1-2-3-4" by Coolio

That's all I've got for now

Nan

Nan - Good girl, you've got some Disturbed in there! ;) Are you thinking of "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile? That song is so catchy.

How about some Flo Rida? Also, Sexy Chick (or Bitch depending on which version you get) by David Guetta feat. Akon. If you really wanna be a 15 year old girl, you better get Party in the USA by Miley.;) There's a really good song out by Dragonette but I can't remember what it's called. Beyond that, I'd have to ask my 12 yo DD.

My favorite cd right now is Funhouse by P!nk. It's great from beginning to end! I know you mentioned lady gaga... some of her newest songs (from fame monster deluxe) are pretty great. Oh, and I've always loved Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape cd too!

I have to admit that I don't know 99% of any of the artist you guys are talking about! Showing my age, I guess! :eek:

I've been listening to quite a bit of Estelle, Colette, Samantha James, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Thievery Corporation, People Under the Stairs, Fat Boy Slim, and Santogold.

Great list, resembles my Ipod ! Take a look at Groove Armada especially "Love Box", its great to lift to. Also - Hybrid, Fluke, Leftism, Massive Attack. Crystal Method and Chemical Brothers are probably my favorite groups.

I will have to check out Fluke and Hybrid. The only reason I discovered Collete and Samantha James was thanks to the wonders of my friend's iPHONE "Shazam!" program. From there I found more of the House of Om artists and downloaded them from MP3 Panda. You can't beat albums for $.50!

Nan, you're a NIN fan?! Me too!! "Head Like a Hole" & "Wish" get my heart pumping!

Also on my playlist:
Cascada "Evacuate the Dancefloor" & "Breathless"
Chevelle "I Get It" & "Brainiac"
Deftones "Back to School"
Lady Gaga - anything from Fame Monster
Godsmack - anything from the 1st album
Incubus "Anna Molly"
Muse "Map of the Problematique"
Paramore "Miracle"
Shiny Toy Guns "You Are the One" & "Jackie Will Save Me"
Your Vegas "Aurora"

Atypical response (perhaps not MStar's cuppa tea)

I've probably posted these before, I am a little predictable. I played violin for a long time, worked in recording studios, and loved disco as a kid (strange but true.)

Pop Music
Shakira She Wolf (lycanthropy is so en vogue)
"Meet me halfway" Black Eyed Peas
"The Final Countdown" (for giggles) Europe
"See You Again" Miley Cyrus

Non-English Pop:
"De Moi De Toi" Laura Gauthier (its in French, so don't be waiting for the English)

Dance Music/Techno:
"Battle without honor or humanity" tomoyasu hotei (oldie but a goodie)

"Slide to the Vibe" (Radio Edit) Voo doo Serano dance music,
Think off road, flying down hill, you are so fast you are gone before the ground has a chance to give way due to gofers. It always sounds like aerial gym work to me.

Ultra Curve (12 inch version) Cosmic Gate Driving beat. Dance music. Cool synthesizer at about minute 2:30.

Hardcore M******r (yes she says what you think she is going to say) Profane. Good when in a @%%%@^(^:)mad:^( mood. ;)

Ultraviolence Its 9 minutes long. There is a high pitched noise at the end, so fast forward the last 10 seconds, its no fun at that point.

"Jump" (Italobrothers New Vox Radio)
"Let it go" by Dhany (Radio edit)
"Rocket" by Redwing

"Viva" or "Allegretto" by Bond.

Soundtracks:
"Skull and Crossbones" Pirates of Caribean, Klaus Badelt (arrbitrary but hey it gets me running.)

"I'll find my own way" from X-men original sound tracks.

"503" Angels & Demons soundtrack, Josh Bell plays violin.

Cool down:
"Titaptawa" Gandalf (not really he is not on the track at all.) very chill, in gaelic.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded. I've put together a couple of awesome playlists based on your responses and have had some great running and dance sessions with them.

Yeah- I want some more ideas! Lately I'm into Bedouin Soundclash, but not really for running to. Of course, I haven't actually been watching videos or listening to the radio, so it's hard to get new music choices when you haven't been paying attention!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.