Seriously...About Ice Cream

Jonezie

Cathlete
What are the things you think of when you think of home? Those special things tied to your favorite memories? We were talking about Blue Bell ice cream in another thread (which Lainie and Stephanie know and love) and Tex-Mex. I also think of Sonic drive-ins and United grocery stores when I think of Texas, which I'm currently 1,100 miles away from.

What are you favorite childhood or grown-up things that come from home?

:)Jonezie

German licorice :D:D And I am so lucky because the Cost Plus Worldmarket around the corner has all of my favorites.

My favorite childhood thing....the scent of my mother. She smelled so sweet to me. I loved sitting next to her on the couch.

Last edited:
homemade bread and pastries. and living near a sunbeam bakery doesn't replace good ol' fashion hot homemade in the oven bread. both grandma and mom used to make bread a lot.

kassia

Goodness, did you mean food? LOL! duh! Please excuse my brain for a moment. My doc put me on a new migraine medicine and I swear I'm not processing thoughts right...yeah, that's it.:eek::eek:
I don't have a lot of food memories from childhood. My mom was a lousy cook! LOL But I do remember Ben Franklin penny candy!:D

I still love the way my mother smelled. She was so wonderful to me as a child. I would cuddle next to her and smell her.:)

For me, it's steamed crabs with tons of Old Bay on them. Can't be from MD without having some memories of that. ;)

A few things pop into my mind, but they may seem strange to many of you! LOL

First, I think of salty potato chips dipped in Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream with my Grandmother. :)

Second, I think of toast with peanut butter, dipped in strawberry (Nesquick) milk. :)

Third, I think of doing 2,500+ piece puzzles with my dad into the WEE WEE WEE hours of the night.

Well, I prefer to block out much of my childhood, LOL, but the food....that's a different story.

When we lived in Coronado we would make a pilgrimage to Canora's for The Californian - a sandwich ecstasy of pita, mayo, sprouts, turkey, provolone, bacon, guacamole. Heavenly.

My folks both love food and were deeply into cooking so we ate well and always had an interesting variety of food.

My mom made cookies called Joe Froggers - molasses cookies. A rare treat. And we'd love to watch Julia Child on PBS - tossing pots and glugging wine into dishes.

I was born in Rhode Island so coffee milk, clam fritters, quahogs, and Wright's (all you can eat) Chicken Farm. :)

My favorite childhood thing....the scent of my mother. She smelled so sweet to me. I loved sitting next to her on the couch.

Fit44...NOT AT ALL! It just so happened that the majority of my childhood memories are tied to food. :( But I LOVE your post! It's so funny...I keep a bottle of my mom's perfume just so I can smell it every once in a while. It brings back such happy memories! There's a whole other thread devoted to favorite smells. It obviously is VERY tied to favorite memories. Thanks so much for your post! (And to all of you who posted). :)

PS...Carola, what would we do without World Market?!? OK...I'm a German licorice virgin. Is it the best ever? Where does Good and Plenty fall on the licorice spectrum? ;)

Jonezie

Jonezie - have you heard the song - Come Back to Texas by Bowling for Soup? Cute song. There's one part where they sing...

Troy Aikmen wants you back
Willie Nelson wants you back
NASA wants you back
And the Bush twins want you back
And Pantera wants you back
And Blue Bell wants you back

Then there's a later track on the album where they are just having fun naming people from Texas...(thanks Wikipedia!)
Bill Parcells
Forest Whitaker
Mike Judge
Debbie Allen
Larry Hagman
Audie Murphy
The Alamo
Beyoncé
Enron
The Dallas Cowboys
Bob Wills
Barry White
Kelly Clarkson
The Rangers
A-Rod
Don Henley
The Polyphonic Spree
Lyndon Johnson
Shannon Elizabeth
DRI
Sparta
Mars Volta
At the Drive-In
Dangerous Toys
ZZ Top
The Dallas Morning News
The Fort Worth Star Telegram
The Branch Davidians
Mommie Dearest (Joan Crawford was born in San Antonio, Texas)
The Aggies
Gary Busey
Walter Cronkite
Judge Roy Bean
Tim Duncan
Patrick Swayze
Wichita Falls
Morgan Fairchild
Dan Rather

Anyway - I grew up in Iowa so foods I love(d) there were Pork Tenderloins, Maid-Rite sandwiches, and Sterzing's Potato Chips.

For me, it's steamed crabs with tons of Old Bay on them. Can't be from MD without having some memories of that. ;)

Amber...what is Old Bay?!? I'm intrigued.

A few things pop into my mind, but they may seem strange to many of you! LOL

First, I think of salty potato chips dipped in Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream with my Grandmother. :)

Second, I think of toast with peanut butter, dipped in strawberry (Nesquick) milk. :)

Third, I think of doing 2,500+ piece puzzles with my dad into the WEE WEE WEE hours of the night.

Banslung...I love your love for dipping things! And especially the wee wee wee puzzle doing.

My mom made cookies called Joe Froggers - molasses cookies. A rare treat. And we'd love to watch Julia Child on PBS - tossing pots and glugging wine into dishes.

Story...any cookie named Joe Frogger is a friend of mine! PS...I'm sure you've seen Julie and Julia, haven't you?

I was born in Rhode Island so coffee milk, clam fritters, quahogs, and Wright's (all you can eat) Chicken Farm. :)

Sparrow...WHAT is a quahog?!? You can't just hit and run with that one. ;) Inquiring minds wanna know.

And Cindi...I love that song! But haven't thought about it in years. THANKS for that. I'm going to iTunes it today!

:)Jonezie

Hi Jonezie, I've read the book but haven't seen the movie. I have a weird thing about watching movies....I keep checking DVD's out of the library but return them without seeing them. I'd rather read the book! :p

Yah - I think it is an east coast thing. I am from Wisconsin and never heard of it until moving out here.

It's got a little too much zest for me though!

Pietro's Pizza (Vacaville, CA). Every time we go home, we try to make sure we get some Pietro's Pizza.

Jonezie, thanks a lot for bringing up Blue Bell Ice Cream(my favorite in the whole wide world, "Homemade Vanilla"), and Sonic. I live in TX and crave Blue Bell all the time and Sonic is less than a mile from my house. Now I have to try and up my will power to avoid them both. As for the Tex-Mex, that cannot be avoided and I endulge way too often.:rolleyes:

Jean

It's a seasoning that must be an east coast thing because my DH had never heard of it until moving to MD from WA. I can't imagine shrimp or crabs without Old Bay seasoning. It is seriously a MUST for seafood! ;) There's nothing like the smell of shrimp steamed with Old Bay on top...

http://www.oldbay.com/Products/Old-Bay-Seasoning.aspx

I LOVE Old Bay!! I season my tilapia with it!! mmm mmm good!! :)

What pops into my mind from childhood is my grandparents' garden! Picking raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries fresh from the garden. Nothing better! Well, unless you eat too many raspberries! Which I did pretty much every time! :eek::confused:

Also, and this may be weird, I remember the candy bar, Big Hunk. In fact, everytime I go home (Seattle/Olympia area) to visit, I HAVE to have a Big Hunk (and a taco from Jack in the Box). I live in Minnesota now and they don't have Big Hunk candy bars or Jack in the Box!

You can get Old Bay in Ohio. I hate fish and seafood so I've never tried Old Bay, but my DH loves it!

When I think of home I think of my mom and grandma and all the homemade Italian food! I haven't had what I consider a real pizza since my grandma died. She baked bread one day every week and always made pizza with the leftover dough. We lived down the street from her and she would walk to our house with a fresh loaf of homemade bread and pizza still warm out of the oven. I have never been able to duplicate her bread or pizza. It was wonderful! Both mom and grandma were wonderful cooks, and I'm old enough that there wasn't much available in the way of fast food or frozen TV dinners when I was a kid, so mom cooked 3 meals a day from scratch, and most everything my grandma made came from her own garden. I would give anything to have one more day with them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.