Scared to try Imax 3!

jeslyn54

I'm in my early 30's and in pretty decent shape, working out 4 - 6 days a week. I've lost 8.4 of the 15 lbs (and several inches) that I set out to lose at the beginning of the year. I love Cathe's step workouts (among many of her others because she's amazing) and just started doing them again over the last few months along with her Hiit, Kickboxing, and Total Body Strength workouts. I like more of the athletic style moves or at least less dancey, less complex choreography (most turns pretty much lose me!). Anyway, part of what I love about them is that they kick butt and I get a great cardio workout. My heart rate stays up in the 150 - 170 range for the majority of the workout (with the exception of the warm up and cool down/stretch). Lately, I've been doing Intensity, Body Max 2, and Low Max for the step workouts. During the recent sale, I bought Body Max 2, Imax 3, Cardio Core Circuit, and Circuit Blast. The only one of these 4 that I've tried so far is Body Max 2 which I love. For some reason, I'm scared to try Imax 3 because it looks even harder than Body Max 2 which kicks my butt! For those of you who have done Imax 3, what are your thoughts? I do plan on trying it along with the other 2 new workouts over the next week or so but was curious to hear what other people think.

Also, I did pre-order the new workouts. I'm so excited about them. Even though I don't have any joint issues yet (knock on wood), the idea of workouts that are still really tough yet easier on them to give them a break is great. I just wish we didn't have to wait 4 months for them!

I personally love Imax 3. I prefer Imax 2 over 3 for the fun factor but Imax 3 is definitely a good calorie buster. It is the toughest of the three Imax workouts in my opinion mainly because the recovery period is the shortest. I would say do not be scared of it. Go for it and embrace the challenge. ;). If you need to pause to take longer recoveries, so be it. You will work up to keeping up with Cathe and crew in no time.

Good luck!

P.S. I bet you will suprise yourself and totally knock this one out of the park when you do try it. :eek:

I agree, definitely don't be scared to try IMAX 3!! It has awesome music and is a lot of fun to do! Come on, you get to rock out to Bon Jovi in this one ;) It's definitely my favorite of the IMAXs and has zero dread factor for me, despite its difficulty. It is pretty tough to get through on the first couple of tries. I had trouble with some of the footwork but eventually you will get it! And just like anything else, it's always good to be challenged. Just go at your own pace and you will get it in no time!

Thanks, ladies! I'm not as scared now. ;) I'll definitely try it sometime in the next few days. I'm sure I'll need some extra water breaks thrown in there. I love that it has a Bon Jovi song in it! I think tonight I'm doing STS Total Body, since my last two workouts were cardio.

Maybe try one of the premixes first. Personally I like 6-10 better than 1-5. I tried doing the whole thing at once & the choreo was tough to get right off the bat. It is a tough workout but doable.

It sounds to me like you are in great shape if you are doing all those other Cathe workouts. I did Imax 3 when I was in not so great shape and just modified it down and paused a few times, just to see where I was with it.

If I were you, I would just jump in with both feet and modify where needed. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. But isn't a challenge and something to work toward great too?!!!:)

Best wishes.

I think that Body Max II is harder than Imax 3. At least in the Imaxes you know for certain your rest/recovery is coming. What you can do is do fewer reps of the high impact moves until you work up to doing all of them.

I don't have Body Max 2, but I obtained IMAX3 (after mastering IMAX2) and Intensity in that order. I too was intimidated by IMAX3 based on what I read long ago on this forum. When I finally tackled it, I learned the step segments first because these present a choreography challenge as well as a cardiovascular challenge (although it's a fun challenge and not excessively difficult). Once I had the step segments down, I added a few blasts at a time to the step program. I had to modify several blasts to reduce the impact on my knee joints but I've gradually increased what I can do. If you're conditioned enough to do Intensity, which strikes me as faster paced, you probably will not have too much difficulty with the cardiovascular challenge in IMAX3. Incidentally, I have come to view the step segments in IMAX3 as part of the rest between blasts! You should obtain IMAX2 because it's got great music and provides a good workout.

Interesting! If some of you think Body Max 2 is actually tougher than Imax 3, then I'm definitely less scared. haha I'm going to try it this weekend for sure. I've been in a workout rut this week and need to get back on track! Thanks to everyone who has offered their feedback. :)

I finally tried Imax 3 yesterday. It was definitely tough - the interval blasts are killer. I agree that the step combos seem to be a break between the blasts. There's a lot of jumping in this one so I probably won't do it more than once a week (or every other week). I had to take some longer rests and water breaks, and also had to rewind a few times on the trickier combos. By the end of the workout, my HRM showed that I had burned 480 calories (and I'm 5'2" 116 lbs). I was pretty happy about that - and felt great that I got through it.

I'm scared of IMAX 3 too, it's like an internal battle. I think I would have to attempt this one on a day when I feel strong and have energy. I may venture into IMAX 3 one day but for now I have enough to keep me busy.

I bought imax 3 a while back and sort of put it on hold after a few attempts. It's HARD!! :confused: With so many high impact moves and choreography that confused me half the time, I haven't been very motivated to get back into it. However, seeing this thread makes me want to try putting it back into my rotation. Plus, I *did* promise myself that I would conquer this workout one day... :D

Buneknek,
I'd say the choreography in IMAX3 is similar to that in IMAX2. I find that I need to modify more of the blasts in IMAX3 than in IMAX2 to reduce the impact on my knees. I got the impression from what I've read on this forum that a lot of people like the music in IMAX2 better than IMAX3. I like them both. If you like IMAX2, I say go for IMAX3.

i just did IMAX 3 again & here is my take on it. the choreo is a little tricky, but for me it has to do with the turning. i'm not sure if i am always turning the right way, but i make it work for me. the blasts are tough but do-able and my favorite one is #8, plyo/air/tuck one. the one that is hardest for me is the one where you are straddling the step & jump up & down, eventually doing jacks on & off the step. i don't have the foot endurance for that one. seriously, my feet are what give out right around the time you do the jacks.

i do believe this is one that you can't give up on as far as the tricky choreo. you'll get it, just takes some practice!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.