Running burns more calories than Cathe? Seriously?

Govtgirl

Cathlete
Ok, I did 30 minutes of the step circuits from Body Max, was sweating like a madman, kinda gasping at points, and burned 200 calories according to my GWF. Okey doke. :( Thought it'd be more after all that.....

Then tonight, I give running on the treadmill a shot (I normally walk) so I did 30 minutes at a 4.5 pace, no incline, I was never gasping, just a good steady run, and I burned 300 calories. As Stewie would say: "what the deuce?!"

Can this be right? I felt more exertion doing the step, so why wouldn't I burn as much or more as running? Anyone else have the same experience in this? thanks! :D

I have never done the premix you're talking about, but I assume there are buildups and cooldowns between the step segments? If so, perhaps you have a heartrate that recovers quickly between exertions. That wouldn't happen with the steady-state cardio on the treadmill. Just a theory, mind you, but it sounds logical.

For me personally, running has always been harder. Running has always been a personal challenge of mine. Although I can't verify my heart rate, since I don't own a heart rate monitor, anytime I run I feel it more than a step routine. For me I think it's maybe because I've been doing step for so many years and my body has adapted. If I start running after a long hiatus, I feel it in my whole body - abs, legs, butt, sometimes even arms! And I get the best results from running if I stick with it - I seem to lean out a lot more, but that's just me. :D

Dani

Oh absolutely - a nice steady state run gets my heart rate much higher for a longer time than Cathe's workouts do. I can burn more calories on a hilly bike ride, too (I'm in California - we have a lot of up around here).

Were you wearing a heart rate monitor? Honestly, 200 calories sounds low for Body Max, even for a small person. 300 calories for about 30 minutes of running sounds about right.

However, sometimes I burn a lot of calories when I don't necessarily feel like I'm exerting myself super hard, like when I'm biking or swimming. I often burn as many calories doing those activities as I do when I'm running, and I usually feel like I'm about to die when I run. So you may not feel like you're working hard, but your heart knows it.

also, because you say that you normally don't run...your body has to work harder...therefore you burn more calories compared to doing an activity you usually do, or after a period of training for a running event. Over time your body can become more efficient and is way too smart-it adapts! Doing something new works the body harder and differently!
I would agree however that 200 cal for Bodymax sounds low!
julie

can you imagine, I get my heartrate up higher doing a brisk walk on a 6-6.5 incline on the treadmill over running on a lower incline?!! i mix it up with run/walk intervals b/c there is a 30 min time limit on equipment but DANG!

kassia

Thanks everyone! Very interesting!

But now I have another question :eek: .... have you all seen this bear out in real results, like, if you want to burn off fat, running is the way to go rather than step? I *LOVE* step, and that's what I usually do, but right now I have a goal to lose 6-8 pounds in the next 4 weeks, so right now I want results. I'll go back to the fun (step!) later if that's what it takes. (although I really didn't hate the running like I thought I would!!)

I guess my underlying thought is maybe the GWF thinks I'm burning more running when I'm really not?

PS: And yep, I'm eating well, about 1500 cals a day, trying to burn 2500 for 2 lbs a week loss.

Last edited:
I wish I could run. Because of Cathe and my other regular workouts I can start running and keep up with my friend who runs marathons but my IT Band always, always, acts up and then I have to lay off of exercise for days. At first I thought it was b/c of the impact and me running too far, too fast, too soon but the lat time it tired running it started acting up right away...boo. Running is supposed to be one of the best forms of exercise for burning the calories fast!

Don't give up step entirely, because you love it, but substitute running on a couple of days. Cross training is always good, and may be enough to surprise your body and let go those last few pounds.

Thanks everyone! Very interesting!

But now I have another question :eek: .... have you all seen this bear out in real results, like, if you want to burn off fat, running is the way to go rather than step? I *LOVE* step, and that's what I usually do, but right now I have a goal to lose 6-8 pounds in the next 4 weeks, so right now I want results. I'll go back to the fun (step!) later if that's what it takes. (although I really didn't hate the running like I thought I would!!)

I guess my underlying thought is maybe the GWF thinks I'm burning more running when I'm really not?

PS: And yep, I'm eating well, about 1500 cals a day, trying to burn 2500 for 2 lbs a week loss.

Yep, for me running is definitely the way to go if you want to burn fat. I notice almost immediate changes in my body when I start running. There's something about it I guess. I will always love stepping with Cathe, but for leaning out quickly, running gives me quick results!;)
Just to keep your motivation up, you may consider getting Cardio Coach. I just got it last week, and it has already helped me so much. I just crave my running days with those workouts! You should try it if you don't have it yet. I'm sure it will help you lose those last couple of pounds!:D

Dani

I don't do Cathe's cardio so I can't make a comparison there, but yesterday I did 7 walk/run intervals -- 2 minutes of walking to 90 seconds of running, and according to my Nike + iPod thingy, I burned 400 calories. I just started running a few weeks ago and I'm noticeably leaner through my hips and thighs.

I second the advice to use Cardio Coach. It makes the time FLY by, and Sean is so motivating!! His timing is impeccable and if he says you're going to do 2 minute intervals, it's 2 minute exactly.

Don't give up step entirely, because you love it, but substitute running on a couple of days. Cross training is always good, and may be enough to surprise your body and let go those last few pounds.
ITA. If you switch to just running and you're not a big fan of running you may burn out. The best workouts are always the one's you'll do. If you start to enjoy running great, but it does put more stress on your joints then step so keep all that in mind... Doing a bit of both is probably the answer.

ITA with the others - my run y'day kept my HR at a min of 160 and hit 175. During an IMax blast I'll hit 170 but then it goes back down to about 125 or 130 during the step parts.

And when running a few times a week has leaned me out a few times. That is exactly what I am going back to right now - hitting the road 2 times a week and doing a CC or interval run on the TM once for my cardio.

Try it if you are looking for a loss quickly. Especially since it would be a "shock" to your normal routine.

Come back and let us know . . . Good luck !

Just wanted to add in that you said you are using a GWF, which in my experience shows a lower calorie burn than a heart rate monitor. In fact, my calorie burn using GWF is almost half what the heart rate monitor shows from the same workouts. So the 200 calories from BodyMax may sound low to people who get their calorie readings from a heart rate monitor. I just did BodyMax 2 this week and burned 6 calories a minute according to my GWF.

Running is without a doubt the toughest & most effective cardio in the world.

The problem w/running is the stress on knees, lower back, feet, joints. Not that you don't have the same problem w/high impact step, & I suppose it also depends on where you run (i.e. dirt track vs. pavement), but I just can't do it anymore. It's too painful. :confused:

ITA. If you switch to just running and you're not a big fan of running you may burn out. The best workouts are always the one's you'll do. If you start to enjoy running great, but it does put more stress on your joints then step so keep all that in mind... Doing a bit of both is probably the answer.

ITA. I've always noticed that according to all the charts running burns more calories than any other activity. But I hate to run. Always have, even as a little kid when my friends would want to race I would just say "I'll see you there" and continue walking. I have a treadmill (got it hoping DH would use it) that just takes up valuable space in my workout room. On the other hand I love step too. I don't care if it burns fewer calories, the enjoyment I get from it is worth it.

Here's what my heart rate monitor tells me:

Kickboxing (vigorously, like Cathe's KPC, KickMax, or Tracey's Strike Zone) burns the most calories for me.

Running does seem to burn a little more than step, especially if I am running on variable terrain (up and down hills). But only a little, and it's not ALWAYS true. But doing a little of everything (kickboxing, athletic drills, running, step, weightlifting, kettlebells, etc., etc.) definitely helps keep the injuries down and that way, I can exercise more often (and therefore burn more calories in the long run).
;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.