Runner's Check-in Mon June 5

RE: Good morning, cheetah runners!

Actually Judy...I just did 4 miles. My quads were talking to me after the steep downhills yesterday! Good job on the 9 min pace for a hilly 6 miles...:)

Karen...glad you got your workout in. I know it can help in stressful times...:)

Christine...you do have a busy day planned. Good luck on the job interview! I haven't done Chest & Back yet but I plan on subbing some reg & incline chest presses plus reg & incline chest flies for some of the push-ups...I do like the pull-ups though...:)

For those that only know me thru this check in, I am a huge Pro Football fan, so I wanted to share a pic of my sweet Sadie getting ready for pre-season...

http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL752/3147882/8551700/153049046.jpg

Good Afternoon Cheetahs!

I LOVE Christine's idea for changing the name of the check-in, btw!:)

Karen, My thoughts are with you.

Barb, I don't know how the meds work cause I don't have them yet. :-( I dropped them off to be filled on Saturday before heading in to NYC and got home too late to pick them up. On Sunday I went to get them on my way to my mom's but the wait was too long so I beat feet w/o them. I intend to pick them up this afternoon. Knock on wood though---I'm feelin' pretty good right now.
So what is Core Syngergistics like? Sounds like a pilates style work out based on the title.

Gayle, A triathalon! WOW! You go girl! I don't think I could manage lunges and an IMAX in the same work out! You are my hero! :+
My neck is feeling better. I am waiting for a phone call in regards to PT. I think I should hear from someone with in the week and then I'll know more.

Jess, I am sending thoughts and prayers for your grandmother as well!

Carole, Hope you had a good run today! I read in The Woman's Guide Running that yoga is not good for a runner because it can make your muscle TOO supple??? My guess is that you and the other Mr. YP fans don't do it often enough for it to affect your runs in a negative way or do you just disagree with this completely? I'm just curious. I was surprised to read that at all!

Judy, Oh my...I just did a 2 mile hill run and thought it was tough and here you are doing 6 miles!? ^5's!!!:)

Christine, Love the check-in name idea! I like Low Max too. I find it's a nice change of pace to Cathe's usual high impact stuff.

Karen...thank you....that is so sweet of you to print it out...:)

Wendy...I guess I would disagree completely. I think Yoga is a great thing for runners. I only do it like once a week so maybe that is good? You will always hear different runners saying whether stretching is good or bad and I guess so it goes with Yoga...It really comes down to what works best for you. Experimenting is the key...:)

Carole, Thanks! I am excited to try out Mr YP and have to admit that reading that burst my bubble a bit! I will play around once I have it and see what works for me. :)
I personally find it hard to believe that stretching can be found BAD in ANY regard except for the stretching of COLD muscles which I know is not a good thing.

Hey Carole - which team(s) do you cheer for? I'm a former band member and I actually watched the games in high school and college, so now I follow both college and pro during the season. I'm a huge Penn State fan (go Joe Pa!) and I have several pro teams that I follow. DH is a Patriots fan - went to college in Cambridge Mass, so was a fan before they actually were any good. :+

Thanks for the well wishes on the job interview. My position is being eliminated as of July 7th. I really want to take the summer off. So, while I keep telling myself it'll be a great practice for later on, this is a job along the lines of what I wanted. So I kind of feel I'm in a Catch 22. I think I'll want the job, but I hope they don't offer it to me... Weird, I know.

Wendy - I will do a little yoga after my runs to stretch. I find that it helps keep my muscle supple - not too supple though. I'm one who thinks you can never be flexible enough. In fact the last few weeks I've been skipping yoga - I wonder if that has anything to do with my running difficulties right now ...

Christine, LOL..I don't blame you for wanting the summer off. If I were in your position and could afford it, I'd be lookin' to do the same!}( The bank I used to work for is being taken over and most departments where I worked are being eliminated as of June some time. I'll bet lots of folks there will be taking some time to enjoy the summer before heading back out to work!

I get two months severence, and I got a bit from some stock options that they awarded us (privately held company - so they did not have to do that), so I'm okay, but I don't want to touch the money from the stock options. If I can just find what I want in September or October, we'll be fine. I guess I just wait and see how things go. I probably want too much money anyway... }(

Christine, I understand completely. My dh has a job which the hours and pay are great. He went for a interview last Thurday with a new company where the hours are night but the pay is fantastic. I feel the same as you. I love more money , who wouldn't but it would be at the cost of night hours. So what do we do. DH doesn't care either way but I do. It's nice to have him home at night and help with baths and girls sports things. At the same time this is really a great opportunity for him in his field which he is currently going to school for. They are going to call this Friday to let us know but either way I don't care if he gets it or not. In a way I hope he does get it but at the same time I've got to give up somthing to. I know money isn't everything It would be easier if it wasn't in the reseach and development feild he is in. That's what is making it so hard.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good afternoon everyone!! Well I just did 3 miles on my treadmill @ around 33 minutes including warm-up. I stay @ around 5.3 for the first 10 minutes then up it the last 20 minutes between 5.5 to 6.5 doing intervals. I just hope my hips don't feel it tomorrow.

Wendy I hope you had fun with Low Max. I haven't done that a while and it is one of my favorite.

Carole your Sadie is so adorable. She looks like a puppy.

Karen I am glad your doing ok. My prayers are still in my thoughts for you.

Gayle enjoy the YMCA when you sign up. I was at the pool today taking the 3 years old swimming.

Wow Judy it looks like you had a great workout. I just wish I had the energy that everyone here has. Please pass them onto me, LOL.

In case I forgot anyone here because I just scroll through because I have to go and take a shower and get dinner going just wanted to say hi to all and happy Monday. I will try and check here later on or tomorrow.

Great workouts everyone!

Wendy - I've always wanted to give Yoga and/or Pilates a try, too. I am not flexible whatsoever, so if Yoga would help me relax and more flexible I'd give it a try, too. I haven't found anything that "trips my trigger" yet on either one, so good luck and give me your reviews, I might have to purchase YP, too.;-)

Well, I did 3 miles after work and then came home had a nice light supper with DH and DS. DH went off to work, DS went outside to play with the neighbors, so I headed for the basement to give that elliptical a try. You all had me curious about it, since I haven't tried it yet and none of you could believe it. Well, I totally underestimated the power of the elliptical machine. HOLY COW! I only did 20 minutes, but after a run and for my first time I thought that was OK. But, let me tell you - I was sweating up a storm. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm hooked, what a great workout.

I do have a question, though, do you keep your feet as flat as possible when doing it? Or raise up your heels, kind of like running, but not bringing your total foot off? I was struggling with which way.

Thanks - Marcia.

Evenin’, cheetahs!

Did a 34-minute run this afternoon followed by SH Legs & Shoulders. Whew!

Marcia, I noticed you and I have very similar weight-loss goals. I would like to lose about 35 more lbs. (I am down 18 at this point.) It’s been slow-going, but people are starting to notice, which is nice. How's your progress been coming along?

Wendy—I think you might have missed my question (or maybe I missed your answer) about which show you saw in NYC.

Karen & Jess—hope the workouts help relieve some of the stress you’ve been under.

Barb—hope you enjoyed the Core Synergistics and your swim.

Gayle—200 reverse lunges?? My jaws drop when I read about what some of you ladies do! I think I would die. Awesome workout!

Jess—I get migraines sometimes, too—they’re awful, and they usually do occur near TTOM. One thing I have found helpful is to chug some Gatorade at the onset—it really seems to cut down the recovery time. Great pics! Is PictureTrail free?

Carole—That little Sadie is just too darn cute! Will she be joining you on runs?

Judy—I feel your pain. I am feeling the DOMS from yesterday’s KPC. All over! It seemed like Cathe and her crew were on speed, they were moving SO quickly. Sounds like you had a great run despite the pain!

Christine—I’m a fan of yoga, too, but haven’t been fitting it into my current regimen. Need to get back to that. Good luck with the job prospect—I can understand wanting the summer off. I always take the perspective that situations like that have a way of working out the way they’re meant to.

Hi to Barbara and anyone else who checks in later. Hope you had a great day/workout!

-cathy

Hi Karen, I been running steady now for about a year. I use to just run from spring to fall outside never on a treadmill for a couple of years until last fall I brought a landice treadmill because I would use the Y but decided I rather do it in my own home when I wanted too:). I can't really run in the cold because my ears really start to hurt. It's very senitive (sp). I really don't consider myself a runner but maybe a fast jogger. My husband got me into it because he's been a runner for all his life. He even got me into doing weights. Now I need to try and start doing some cross training with some other cardio because running is so addicting.

Marcia, I'll be happy to give you my review of YP once I get it! It may take me some time to really decide if I like it or not. I have never tried yoga either. I used to do pilates, however, and enjoyed it. :)

Cathy, Sorry, I missed your question. I went to see "The Producers" and LOVED it. VERY funny! I highly recommend it so long as you can don't mind a little raunchy or off color humor!}(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.