RT Performance Anxiety!

NancyAZ

Cathlete
So, as the date for my first RT approaches I'm starting to get more nervous about the whole thing, including whether I'm going to be so disappointed with myself concerning the workouts that I'm going to end up being sorry I went. I have been wanting to attend for a few years, so this was not a new or spontaneous decision on my part. It's a really big one, though, as not knowing anyone going in is a huge step outside my comfort zone.

I was doing a new-to-me Cardio Coach today and barely made it through the first challenge, seriously considering quitting the workout (which I rarely, rarely do). I rallied and ended up strong with it, but it sure got me thinking even more about the RT and my endurance level.

I'm already disappointed in myself in that I had big plans for being in the best shape of my life for the RT -- it's not like I didn't have plenty of time to get ready. And yet, as the day gets closer I find myself eating horribly (diet has always been a struggle for me anyway) and having gained about 20+ pounds since my retirement. And even knowing that the departure day is just a few short weeks away, I continue to eat poorly. It's just crazy. And I really need to get new workout clothes (trust me, I really do need them!) and knowing how they're going to look is not helping.

I have no intention of cancelling or anything. And I'm still very excited and looking forward to it overall. I don't even know what I'm looking for in posting this -- validation? encouragement? reassurance? Who knows. I just felt compelled to put it out there.

Thanks for listening!

Hi Nancy! You will not regret going!! RT are soooo fun! You might be a little sore on Sunday...but totally worth it. Just go at your own pace and modify. I understand your disappointment with yourself. I am still battling the PG weight I gained with my son and he is 2 now. It's amazing how easy it is to gain and painfully hard to lose. Just take it one day at a time. Oh and buy some new workout clothes...a little retail therapy will make you feel better!!! Trust me no one will judge you. There are all fitness levels and body types. Taking a live Cathe class is awesome!! Hope I made you feel better!
Hope to meet you on the RT
Tracy

Totally agree - you will be surprised at how you do, to be honest. I was also afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, but if you just focus on going at your own pace (stay in the back if you are worried LOL!) and not trying to keep up with everyone else, you will do great. The energy is amazing with everyone in one room together, so that will help your stamina too!! Can't wait to go - and meet you and everyone else!

I went for the first time last year and I was nervous as well but it was soooo much fun don't worry about messing up or keeping up just go meet new people eat and have a blast.I wish I were going so I can meet you maybe next year.

Diana

Last edited:
Nancy, first off here are some (((hugs)))!! Don't be too hard on yourself. You will see when you get to the RT that there are people of all fitness levels and body types there. Cathe offers lots of water breaks, and there are no problems with modifying or taking breaks as you need them.

As an example, at my first RT I was a kickbox newbie, having just bought KPC a month or so before. I stood waaaay in the back (which is how I met Julie, yay!) And Cathe did 2 kickbox classes that year! When she got to some kicks that I just couldn't handle, I grabbed my camera and took some photos and videos of everyone. And I still had a great time. (Obviously, since this year will be my third RT.)

I am also not where I want to be fitness-wise. And I don't even want to talk about my eating. But while I am disappointed about it, I will not let it affect my having a great time.

You will meet so many great people, I promise! As for the workout outfits, I admit that I like buying a few new things for the RT, just for fun. But you will see lots of different workout clothes, including tshirts and shorts. Just wear what you'll be comfortable in...I'm sure you'll look great!

There were lots of things I wanted to say here to reassure you, but I'm not sure I put my thoughts into words very well. I agree with Tracy; no one will judge you, and you will not regret going! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns!

Jodi

Nancy...

You'll be just fine, please don't stress it, have fun with it. For me, last years' RT was all about meeting fellow Cathletes, the classes themselves were secondary to that. I had the time of my life. What you'll remember most about this event is the people you've met.

Nancy, I could have written your post. Seriously. I had plans of looking and feeling my best, as well, but I weigh more now than I've weighed in quite a while. :( I've actually thought about canceling because I've gained so much but decided that was just stupid. I am who I am. :p I'm going to go and have a blast! I'll do my best and forget the rest. (stolen from my friend Tony ;))This is my first RT, too, and I look forward to meeting you. :D

Don't worry about a thing....the energy in the room is infectious....folks are so jazzed to be working out with Cathe in person and she is so high energy you get through all the workouts without even thinking about it.
Also, Cathe gears the classes towards all levels - so if you want to take it up a notch and jump higher you can, but if you want to take it easy, you can do that as well....it isn't quite as hectic as the DVDs, although you will most certainly work :)

Logistically, with so many people in the room some of the moves are kept basic to ensure adequate space for all participants.

workout outfits ran the spectrum - I like to workout in shorts rather than pants, but I think I was in the minority, most wore yoga pants - but Cathe wore shorts :) in any case, it isn't like fellow roadtrippers mocked me for my shorts (despite my casper-ish white legs lol)

You will be fine! more than fine - you will have a ton of fun and want to kick yourself for worrying to begin with...relax and do what you can in the interim, or not and maybe use the roadtrip as a starter on a new health/fitness regimen.

It's all about having fun ladies. I remember last year during one of the leg segements I got tired and just sat down on my step LOL!! Cathe was doing one leg lunges off the step and I just couldn't do them all. So I sat down :p

Nancy - It seems like every road trip I have been to has been after a long period of not working out - due to vacations, work trips, etc... And every year I would freak out about not being able to keep up. I finally realized last year that this is just for FUN. I don't have to be wonderwoman in the workouts. So I paced myself and if I got tired, I did what Catherine did and sat down or took pictures (or faked a turned ankle). ;) We aren't being tested or evaluated and really no one is paying attention to anyone but Cathe. You'll be fine! :) And there is no shame whatsoever in taking a break!

While I totally agree with everything posted here, I just had to comment on the fact that THIS is why I love these forums and all you Cathletes out there! Always such a supportive, helpful bunch! See Nancy? You have nothing to worry about! We're all going to this RT to share our passion for Cathe and do a little sweating in between. :)

workout outfits ran the spectrum - I like to workout in shorts rather than pants, but I think I was in the minority, most wore yoga pants - but Cathe wore shorts :) in any case, it isn't like fellow roadtrippers mocked me for my shorts (despite my casper-ish white legs lol)

Hmmm, maybe I should buy some pants...; I workout in home in shorts.
Are the pants long, or capri length? Seems like it would be a lot cooler(temperature-wise) to wear shorts. But, maybe cooler (fashionwise) to wear pants? :) Maybe someone can post a link to some nice pants(and cheap ones, too).

This is also my first roadtrip & I wish that I could get my eating under control, too!
Looking forward to meeting everyone!:)

thanks!

Last edited:
Nancy, I think all of us 1st timers feel the same way! I keep getting waves of anxiety that are easily washed away with chocolate :p;):eek:
We are normal for feeling this way so lets just forget about the butterflys in our tummys and the cellulite on our rears and go have a great time!!!!!:cool:

Can't wait to meet you.

I hear you Nancy. I haven't agonized so much over what I'm going to wear in years! Not only for the workouts but for the rest of the event too. And kickboxing! I'm terrible at it and rarely use any of my kickboxing dvds. I told myself I would practice before the RT but can't even remember the last time I did one. Plus, what if nobody likes me? And I'm kind of shy. Meeting so many new people is scary. I could go on and on but I'm also so excited and can't wait. I'm sure we'll have a blast.

Nancy, first off, I can't wait to meet you! I don't have anything to add as everyone has said it all here. NO WORRIES! There truly is something about the kind of fans cathedotcom attracts...they are not a judgemental group. I can tell you that I was so worrried my 1st. RT for the same reasons you stated. Once you meet the trippers, all your worries will go away. I struggle with my weight (& DIET) bigtime but I just keep at it. Once Cathe starts a workout, you will feel the energy in the room and probably will surprise yourself with how much you CAN do. But, like everyone said, feel free to take breaks anytime you need or just bring your level down. There is NO competition at all. Can't wait to see you in just a few weeks!

I wanted to let you and other newbies to know you have nothing to worry about. Just do what you can and don't feel badly if you are off beat, can't jump as high, make a wrong turn on the step, or poop out a tad early during an intensity drill. Everyone going will be at different fitness levels; some are beginners and others are highly advanced.

Do what you can do and then modify when you're getting tired. The interesting thing about working out live with 104 others is that you will feed off the energy in the room and find your energy will be higher than you can imagine.

Regarding weight gain: Many of us, me included, struggle with weight. I am personally at my heaviest in over 2 years. But, that's not going to stop me from having fun and meeting old and new trippers alike.

I can't wait to meet you and give you a huge RT welcoming hug! :)

Lorrayne

What Lorrayne said--jeez, I look at pics of myself from the 2005 RT & pics of me now..............:eek::eek::eek: 'Nuff said.

Women (and men) of all fitness levels go, Cathe knows it, & I think she tries to make the workouts fun rather than intense (not that they won't be intense, but they won't be IMAX3 either). We can save the intensity for home, this w/e is all about enjoying the few other fruitcakes in this world who consider 3 days of exercise a vacation! :p

this w/e is all about enjoying the few other fruitcakes in this world who consider 3 days of exercise a vacation! :p

omg, this made me crack up ... so true...people think i am a serious fruitcake for the enjoyment I take in this weekend full of workouts!

Hi Nancy---I just wanted to jump in here and offer my support too:)

Don't worry about anything. You'll do fine.:) I felt the same way my first RT and I had a blast. I'm not very social and don't normally do well in large groups where I don't know many people but everyone makes you feel so welcome.

Also, I think you're selling yourself short on the endurance thing. I bet you're in better shape than you think you are. If not, there's others there who are in the same boat. It's not a competition:) just get out there and have fun. I'm worried too because I'll just be coming back from New Zealand a couple of days before. I'm not sure how much working out I'll get in on my vacation and I'm sure the jet lag will have me wiped out. The three hour time difference from here to NJ is bad enough (especially for the Sunday AM class:eek:)

I know what you mean about wanting to be in better shape. I'm right there with you. I had hoped to lose about 15 pounds before the RT. Instead I've GAINED around 5 (maybe more, I haven't weighed myself lately) I'm not going to beat myself up about it though. I need to get off this computer now and get my workout done and quit procrastinating.:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.