Road trippers: Does anyone have a similar story?

hippahips

Cathlete
I was standing by that big table where all the Cathe gear were, and this itty-bitty old lady asked me, "What is THIS?" She sounded a bit annoyed.

I said, "What?" I thought she was asking what the big table was for.

She asked again, more annoyed this time, "What is THIS?"

I said, "Oh, it's the Cathe road trip."

She said, "Is this the reason for all these EXTRA PEOPLE?"

"Yes," was all I could say, although I wanted to blurt out, "Hey lady, I AM one of those extra people."

"Hmph," she said (maybe snorted, I don't remember because I wanted to walk away from her already). "I know she does videos."

"Do you take her classes?" I asked.

"No," was her curt reply.

And that was that. I think it's sad that she worked out in Cathe's gym and wasn't able to appreciate how much following Cathe has. If I lived in NJ, I'd make sure to take Cathe's classes when I can.

Pinky

Pinky,
I had a similar experience in the bathroom. This women asked me what I was here for and I told her the Cathe roadtrip and she looked at me like she had no idea who Cathe was. She asked me when she taught and if she teaches step. How could you not know who she is! I was amazed. Don't these people know that they are so lucky to have such talent in their club. I also noticed in the Friday morning class that I took with the normal gym people that these people were highly annoyed that we were in the class. One lady asked if we could go somewhere else while we were meeting Cathe after class. None of the gym people seemed too excited for her that she is so popular. Anyway, not to go on and on but I love her and everyone else should too.(LOL)!

Susan

One of the waitresses at breakfast on Sunday asked me what kind of convention we were on. I told her it was a fitness weekend, and pointed out Cathe, explaining that she was a fitness instructor. She said "Oh, is it Curves?". I just about died, and kept a straight face and said "no, no, not Curves".:p

Hi Pinky! I have a similar story but it is positive. On Friday morning, I was next to a lady in her 60's who had been taking Cathe's classes for 18 years! She was so sweet and was telling us what a great job we were doing! Conclusion: People that take Cathe's classes are happy and friendly!! I think it's sad about that lady - I probably would have asked her if she was crazy not to take Cathe's classes. I agree - if I lived in NJ - I would be there all the time. Take care and it was great to meet you by the way!

Pennie

Hey Pennie, great to meet you and your daughter as well.:) Now, why didn't I meet the kind of person you met? That really would've made my day.

While we were walking back to the gym from the Italian Affair, a guy who stepped out of a bank asked us, "What's all this walking about?" I think he noticed that most of us were wearing Cathe t-shirts. I just pointed to the gym and said we were on the Cathe road trip. He looked at me like he had no idea what I was blabbering about.

Pinky

I guess this sort of explains Cathe's surprise at how she has affected so many people's lives in a positive way! Thank God for the Internet.

Cathe is a bit shy about promoting HERSELF at her gym. I think once they see her DVD's displayed and get a taste of her, the rest will be history, just like us! Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

But don't you all also find that even in expalining the road trip to your own family and friends, that unless they share your committment to fitness there is no way you can explain to them what we did and why it was so powerful? I agree with so many other road trippers that there are no words that can truly capture and convey the experience I had this weekend. And the stories of those people in her own gym who don't know about Cathe (yes, I had 2 similar conversations myself)simply augment how special she really is. There is no way we can even imagine her gym members NOT knowing about her, but having our Cathe experience is something I just cannot adequately explain to non-Cathe-ites.

Lorrie

>I guess this sort of explains Cathe's surprise at how she has
>affected so many people's lives in a positive way! Thank God
>for the Internet.
>
I think she truly doesn't realize the impact she's had on so many people. She commented to me how surprised she was that everyone was SO fit, and I told her that it was largely because of her! She seemed surprised at my reply.

No, but I heard in Cathe's early class on Thursday that some of the people were annoyed.

How could they have Cathe so close to them and not even know about her?

Pinky,

I also heard an comment from some of the club members as soon as I stepped off the bus Saturday morning. The comment basically was an "oh jeez" type of comment. I'm sorry they felt we were invading their space. If they only knew what a gem of an instructor and a person they have in their club. I know that if I lived nearby, I would be taking Cathe's classes as often as I could!!!

Lorrayne

I don't think I would have almost laughed at her. I would have given her my the raised-eyebrow-you've-gotta-be-kidding-look. Next!!!

Marla

Pinky, I know I shared my story with you & a few other girls. I specifically went out to introduce mself to club members to pour my enthusiasm about her to them & let them know how lucky they were, (being a jughandle state & all).

Anyway, the members I met all were oblivious or minutely informed. One girl I talked to, that was probably trying to focus on a workout instead of me didn't even know Cathe by 1st & last name. HELLO!!! This is her gym.

I also firmly advised her to take one of her classes. I proceeded to tell her I had just spent airfare from Texas, hotel accomodations & all other expenses JUST to workout with her!!!

Maybe it fell on deaf ears. Cathe is extremely low-key with self promotions, not necessarily workouts.

Marla

The history at our club...

Hi Everyone! I thought I would fill you in on a little history as to why things are this way.

It is actually a few things:

1) Why some may not know me at all....Our club, Four Seasons, has moved to three different locations over the last 20 years in order to expand and each time it brings new member sign ups with it. The most recent move has brought in some new members which is why some may not know of me yet. Also, many people who workout at a gym are not usually dedicated home exercisers and may not even be familiar with the home exercise workouts out there.

2) Why some only know of me as their local instructor....I have been with Four Seasons since my college days in 82 to 86. At that time I was simply running the fitness program at the club and teaching many classes too. Step was not even discovered yet. Many members just got to know me as one of their regular instructors at the club. It wasn't until many years later that I started my whole launch with step and making videos. I was very quiet about what I did. I would travel on the weekends and present step workshops at IDEA conferences, Sara City, CIA, and many others. When I got back to the club I would share this with a handful of members/friends but never made public announcements. I have always been kind of quiet about my on goings, its just the way I am. Another reason I was quiet about it is because I run the fitness program and I had to be careful about promoting myself as to not overshadow the other instructors at the gym. It would be detrimental to keeping a team spirit atmosphere.

3) The first signs of members noticing a change....Little by little the video business grew and got more popular. We started getting more press coverage and the press would come to the club to do interviews. Later a few people would ask if that was me they just read about...."I had no idea you made vidoes" etc. But the gym business was always separate from the video business so word never fully got out unless you would catch these stories in the paper or were a die hard regular of mine and would witness visitors coming to class and taking pictures. They would ask "why are they taking pictures?". Word got out a little more when we started using our some of our action video pictures to do promotional flyers/ads for the gym. People would say "is that Cathe on that flyer? Where was that picture taken?". In which we would respond "our video set"....

4) Why people are now going to really begin to figure it out....We have merged our new health club with Cathe.com and put the filming studio right in the gym. People are seeing it and two weeks ago witnessed the ongoings of a cast and production on the premises while the Target series was being filmed (although some still are not noticing because it is so tucked away in the back behind glass doors). We also now have Direct TV which carries Fit TV at our club (Fit Tv was never available on local cable in our area). So now all of the cardio equipment has separate TV's and people are discovering Fit TV while they are working out and saying "is that Cathe on that show?"

5) Why you may have noticed a bit of snubbing (which by the way I am sorry for).....Well I know that sometimes members have their favorite instructors and it is hard for them to see another instructor get the attention...human nature I guess. Another thing is possibly because they have never seen all of this activity and they were shocked to witness it and felt a little jilted that they were being moved to another fitness room while we had our fun in the main large room.

6) From now into the future....Times are quickly changing in our new club and we will be holding many more public events as both the health club and Cathe.com continue to expand into new areas of growth. So I think it is fair to say that it won't be much longer before the members are fully in on the "secret".

I hope this gives you a clearer picture of the whole thing :)

RE: The history at our club...

Cathe

As usual, you are so gracious to take the time to clarify this for all of us. :D :D :D

Thank you :7

I hope to attend one of your events in the future.

Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"

I actually had a really positive experience with a regular member. While waiting for the bus on Saturday, a very fit and attractive woman in her fifties came up and asked, "What IS all this? Are you all Cathe's followers or something?" I explained about the Roadtrip, and she asked what classes we were taking etc. She replied, "That's really great! Have a great time, and thanks so much for taking the time to tell me about it!" So, it appears that at least some of the members "get it."

I have to say it's the same way at the Firm, though--the regular members have no clue that the gym has an international following. They don't really seem to know about the videos despite the big display case at the front desk. The first time I went, a member asked, "Isn't there a gym closer to home that you could go to?" Many of them take it for granted and don't realize they have something unique in their backyard...

Danielle

I actually had a good experience with a gym member. I took Cathe's step class and a stability ball workout with another instructor on Friday morning and I asked the gym member some questions and she couldn't have been nicer.

What I do regret doing was I mentioned to one of the roadtrippers that I saw her pictures on the Cathe site, but before I could give her a compliment she looked at me strangely so I left it at that. I wish I could post my pictures maybe someday.

Debbie

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you said, Debbie. Hopefully, she was probably just surprised at being recognized. I can't imagine what would be strange to anyone about you saying that.

Jen

Ooooh, Debbie... I hope that wasn't me. I stared back at everyone who pointed at me and said they recognized me, Mama Deb included. It felt... strange... is the only word I can use to describe it. So if it was me, I'm sorry. I really don't want to offend anyone.:(

And on that note, I didn't mean for this thread to be negative. I just wanted to express my surprise over Cathe not being recognized in her own gym, where here I was (and more than 100 other people), travelling from far away just to see her.

Thanks Cathe, for explaining all this. I appreciate it so much.:)

Pinky

Pinky & all the others who post pictures,

I think the pictures are great, I love seeing the before and afters on this site. It is very motivating for me to keep up with my workouts. I'm also enjoying the roadtrip pictures, I realized after seeing them I didn't take enough. I'm going to use the picture I took with Cathe as my before picture.

I'm glad Cathe explained that to us, too.

Debbie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.