Revisiting Stretch Max

randidiane

Cathlete
Now that I have STS 2 I'm really way more interested in doing extra long stretches. Some of her sts stretch videos are hard for me because of my lower back and hamstrings are not flexible. Stretch Max gives me the option of a stability ball or band which gives me extra support. Will be doing these for awhile and work my way up to the STS 2 stretch videos;)

That's what I'm finding I'm enjoying about the STS 2.0 rotation - the flexibility with the recovery days. I don't have to stick with just what's available in the STS 2.0 set. I'm actually a big fan of her Perfect 30 Mobility workout, so I'm rotating that one into the days where there are STS mobility workouts, too. Same for some of the core workouts, stretches, yoga, etc.

Now that I have STS 2 I'm really way more interested in doing extra long stretches. Some of her sts stretch videos are hard for me because of my lower back and hamstrings are not flexible. Stretch Max gives me the option of a stability ball or band which gives me extra support. Will be doing these for awhile and work my way up to the STS 2 stretch videos;)
I also incorporate the Total Body Stretching DVD which has 3 segments - No Equipment; SB 1 and SB 2. I always include a stretch after each workout!

That's what I'm finding I'm enjoying about the STS 2.0 rotation - the flexibility with the recovery days. I don't have to stick with just what's available in the STS 2.0 set. I'm actually a big fan of her Perfect 30 Mobility workout, so I'm rotating that one into the days where there are STS mobility workouts, too. Same for some of the core workouts, stretches, yoga, etc.
I love all the mobility workouts!!

A favorite with nice variety.

Gosh, I guess I forgot about that whole dvd. Gotta give the ball one a try too! I love "toys"
I love the 3 stability ball stretches on both StretchMax & TBStretching. I also really like the band one on StretchMax - I often sub a yoga strap. But the no- equipment stretches on both are the toughest for me ... maybe cuz I use them less ... I've been trying to use them more often.

This is a dumb question lol is it impossible to do the foam roller workouts without the roller?
Not dumb, but interesting. My 1st thought was "it's foam rolling, so of course you need a foam roller." But then I thought, I sometimes roll with a lacrosse ball - more like a massage than a full pressure roll, but also to apply pressure to really tense areas. I wonder if a mini-ball could be used for some rolls. There are massage sticks & canes available too. Years ago, a colleague crafted massage rollers from wood - i have one shaped like a moose :rolleyes: - it's cute and massages well. So I guess you could try something else. But a foam roller would probably be best.

This is a dumb question lol is it impossible to do the foam roller workouts without the roller?
It's a great question, according to my chiropractor. Years ago, I asked him that same question, because the roller he gave me hurt. If you have a stability ball, you can kind of arch your back over it and rock it around a bit for a slight fascial release. You can also use a massage ball or tennis ball for "trigger" points in your back. If it's too sensitive (painful), try that same ball between your back and a wall, where you have better control of the amount of pressure. If a tennis ball is too dense when starting out, you can use a softer bigger ball (like Cathe sells - often used in Pilates) on the floor until you get used to it. A water bottle or tennis ball can be used for the bottom of aching feet. If they're swollen, fill one of your old water bottles mostly with water and throw it in the fridge/freezer for foot pain relief for rolling. Happy Baby (yoga) is a position/move that helps massage the back as well with no equipment. As far as following along with Cathe's foam rolling workout without a roller, I think that would be challenging, because you'd spend the whole time trying to figure out how you were to do each body part. For just releasing tightness as needed, there are a lot of ways to do it without the roller. As for rollers... if you decide to purchase one, don't go too firm. I am inexperienced in using a foam roller on the entire body, but I've been using one on my back for years. I have almost no body fat and my chiropractor kept asking me, "have you been using your roller?" I kept saying that I'd been trying, but it hurt. He kept telling me I'd get used to it. I got so sick of him asking me about it that one day I turned my back to him and lifted my shirt so he could see my spine. It was black and blue. He never asked me to use that horrid thing again. I used alternate methods until I bought Cathe's roller, which I'm in love with. It's just right for me. It's firm enough that it supports me, wide enough that I don't have to keep readjusting it, and soft enough that it doesn't bruise me. Foam rolling can be uncomfortable, but I feel so much better after doing it. If it's painful, use a softer roller, an adaptation (rolling against a wall), etc. It takes awhile to get used to it, but I think it's worth it. Some people do build up to a harder roller, but I'm not one of those people. My Cathe roller works great on my back, and when I get a chance, I'm going to do her upper and lower foam rolling workouts so that my whole body can benefit from it.

You can do foam roller workouts substituting other equipment, depending on the exercise. You can use a mini ball for rolling out the muscles, which you can inflate or deflate to control how hard it is. This is a good option if your muscles are really sore, and you're not used to foam rolling. I tend to use the mini ball on my IT band and hip area. For calves, hamstrings and quads you can only roll one leg at a time, but this is also the case if you have a shorter roller. For the chest expansion where Cathe lies length ways along the roller, you can use a yoga bolster as a softer option if you have one. If you are any good at crafts, you could even make a cover for your roller using softer material. Another alternative is to get some old towels or something similar and wrap those around the roller and tape them in place.

Last edited:
Before I had a foam roller I used different things for foam rolling and stretching...and I actually also still use different things for rolling out knots .

Mini ball and stability ball can be used for many stretches. You don't get the stretch to chest/ ribs to quite the same effect as Cathe's foam roller but it does feel good . Mini ball works good for extension of limbs.

Foam rolling knots I have several different balls that work great and have been great to roll a second time after I use the foam roller now that I have one. But here are some things I have used: basketball, hard medicine ball, lacrosse ball, wooden rolling pin. ( I know people have used softballs too. ) Still use a rolling pin, hard medicine ball, and lacrosse ball.

I have one of those rolling massage sticks (with the little knobs on it that freely rotate around the stick). I use that occasionally, mostly on my legs. I also have a couple tennis balls that I'll use. It's a pretty aggressive massage, so be wary using them, especially when putting the full weight of your body down on them. But I find I need to use the tennis ball to address tightness that's always in my left hip, upper glute and left side of my lower back. (I've got some weird imbalances there). It's also really great to get into the piriformis. But it really smarts at first. I have the other tennis ball stuffed into a long tube sock. I sling that over my shoulder and hold it with my hand while I lean up against a wall to get my upper back and shoulders.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.