Reviews of Circuit Blast and MMA Kickbox?

indybulla

Cathlete
Hi,
I have been reading reviews of Circuit Blast and MMA Kickbox on Collage and have been bummed about some of the mixed reviews. It made me wonder what the true Cathe fans think of these two workouts? If you have tried either Circuit Blast or MMA Kickbox, I would love to hear what you think of them. I am considering purchasing both.

I am an intermediate level exerciser, and have Athletic Step and Travel Fit. So far I am super pleased with the new workouts I've tried, and LOVE the shorter length, it fits in well to my busy schedule.

Thanks SO MUCH for the feedback!!

Can you really go wrong with Cathe?

MMA Boxing is my favorite of the MMAs. There is not a lot of high impact jumping. I really try to focus on the punches for a higher intensity workout. I don't have a bag, but that doesn't stop me from doing the bonus bag workout. I just pretend I'm punching a bag! I really enjoy the core conditioning drills on this DVD.

I did Circuit Blast for the first time yesterday. I'm always a little cautious the first time through (I never watch a workout first as Cathe recommends :eek:), but felt like I got a good workout. I will definitely increase my intensity the next time through. There are some high impact jumps in here, but they are short in length. I was also happy to see firewalkers appear in this workout. If you like circuit style workouts, this is a good one. I felt like I could have done this workout twice for an extra blast.

I really like HIIT also. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Okay, I'll admit I was a little disappointed with these at first. They are fun and well-produced, but I wanted more intensity. I had to remind myself that STS Cardio was made to go with STS Strength (which I hadn't done yet), and that there was a reason for the varying intensities in the series.

Fast forward 4 weeks: I'm about to start my third week of the complete STS rotation, and I LOVE the workouts.

I did MMA Kickbox last Saturday. I had run 10 miles on Thursday and done STS Legs on Friday. MMA Kickbox was perfect to get the soreness out of my legs. The routines are different and fun. I do it with 1lb weighted gloves and I added the Heavy Bag Bonus from MMA Boxing. The abdominal work is different and effective. The workout is as refreshing for the mind as it is for the body. You can also modify a bit--like doing jumping jacks instead of shuffles if you want.

Circuit Blast is fun, too. As a circuit workout, it doesn't work your muscles nearly as much as Cathe's other circuit workouts, but it does keep your heart rate up throughout--which I think is the intention. The cardio only premix is what I will be using the most. Again, it is not as intense as some of Cathe's other evil productions;), but I certainly wouldn't want to be doing Core Cardio Circuit every day:eek:.

You mentioned that you are an intermediate exerciser. I think these workouts would be perfect.

HTH,

I like both MMA: Kickbox and Cardio Blast circuit. They are both fun and unique and depending on what you want out of these workouts, well, really depends on the intensity you, yourself bring to them.

I have done MMA:Kickbox twice. First time I was very intense and put a lot into it. Second time, I had a lower energy level but still got out of it, what I needed. The combinations are easy and fun.

Now, I have only done Cardio Blast once. But I LOVED it! I had such a good time doing that workout and was dripping at the end. You definately will get a higher heart rate with this workout. The weights are "light" in comparison to other Cathe circuits workouts, but I think this one is designed for the cardio output. I loved the jumping up and off the step and doing things I would have thought impossible just a year ago. Everything in this workout can be modified...from weights to height of step, to the intensity you bring to it. I LOVED it and am looking forward to doing it again.

Hope that helps a little.

~Renee

Thank you all for the great feedback. As I am more of an intermediate to low advanced exerciser and need shorter length workouts, I think both of these dvd's will fit the bill for me.

I am so glad Cathe produces such great quality and variety in her workouts!

love MMA kickbox

I don't have circuit blast, but I do have MMA Kickbox and I LOVE it. I was disappointed by what some have said about it. I use the weighted gloves (2 pounders with it) and I go all out. By the end of the workout I am sweating like a pig. The core work is creative and burns. I really enjoy it. I have two kids and work full time, so for the weekdays, it is the perfect amount of time. I do my longer workouts on the weekends.

Kristin

I just acquired Travel Fit, MMA Fusion and MMA Boxing and am waiting for the dvds to get here to me! :) :)

I had a pre-conceived notion that Shock Cardio would have all workouts that were ultra-super-intense and had decided they werent for me.

When I read the "mixed" reviews of MMA, they convinced me I wanted them! From being an intensity junkie I've turned from a combination of factors into someone who wants less impact and shorter workouts. I was delighted to read about the intensity levels of MMA.

The clips look superb. My yoga teacher used to make us do similar roll-on-the-floor-to-plough-pose-then-into-stand-up moves from MMA Fusion, to maintain/develop agility. He says most bodies are meant to be able to do that, and if they cant it is from disuse. They are a wonderful way to learn how to engage the core. I love the agility drills between boxing moves in the MMA Boxing clips too.

I love Cathe's band work and have wanted an all-band workout from her for a very long time. So Travel Fit was always on my agenda.

I had decided to wait for the Shock Cardio downloads, but life is too short to postpone a good thing.

I am looking forward eagerly for the Lower-Shock Cardio dvds from Cathe's series. :)

On a related note, I marvel at people who want to do super-intense workouts ALL the time. Even when I was at the peak of my fitness, I needed workouts that were less intense on some days.

Last edited:
I just acquired Travel Fit, MMA Fusion and MMA Boxing and am waiting for the dvds to get here to me! :) :)

I had a pre-conceived notion that Shock Cardio would have all workouts that were ultra-super-intense and had decided they werent for me.

When I read the "mixed" reviews of MMA, they convinced me I wanted them! From being an intensity junkie I've turned from a combination of factors into someone who wants less impact and shorter workouts. I was delighted to read about the intensity levels of MMA.

The clips look superb. My yoga teacher used to make us do similar roll-on-the-floor-to-plough-pose-then-into-stand-up moves from MMA Fusion, to maintain/develop agility. He says most bodies are meant to be able to do that, and if they cant it is from disuse. They are a wonderful way to learn how to engage the core. I love the agility drills between boxing moves in the MMA Boxing clips too.

I love Cathe's band work and have wanted an all-band workout from her for a very long time. So Travel Fit was always on my agenda.

I had decided to wait for the Shock Cardio downloads, but life is too short to postpone a good thing.

I am looking forward eagerly for the Lower-Shock Cardio dvds from Cathe's series. :)

On a related note, I marvel at people who want to do super-intense workouts ALL the time. Even when I was at the peak of my fitness, I needed workouts that were less intense on some days.

It's always so nice to hear from Vee!

Of the three MMA work-outs, MMA Kickbox is probably the easiest one, and fairly simple and also my least favorite. I really like MMA Fusion a lot because it is so unique. For an intermediate person, I think Kickbox would be really good, although you may have to do it a few times because of no explanations on how to do the moves. However, it is not that hard to figure out.

I really like Cardio Core Blast and Cardio Circuit a lot. I do not get sore from what I consider light weight work-outs, and did Cardio Circuit last Saturday for the first time, and found out it got me in places I did not expect! So I did it again yesterday...:)

The length of these are not the usual long Cathe work-outs, but it makes them a nice complement to tack on to something else, or to do on a day pressed for time. I burned almost 400 calories in those 40 minutes(not counting stretch), so have fun, get them, you will enjoy them.

MMA KB

Hi,
I have been reading reviews of Circuit Blast and MMA Kickbox on Collage and have been bummed about some of the mixed reviews. It made me wonder what the true Cathe fans think of these two workouts? If you have tried either Circuit Blast or MMA Kickbox, I would love to hear what you think of them. I am considering purchasing both.

I am an intermediate level exerciser, and have Athletic Step and Travel Fit. So far I am super pleased with the new workouts I've tried, and LOVE the shorter length, it fits in well to my busy schedule.

Thanks SO MUCH for the feedback!!

didn't do CB yet, but love MMA Kickbox (actually all the MMA's). -autumn

Love circut blast

Im a huge fan of circuit style workouts, and I loved Circuit blast. It was short, but the time you have is very well spent I thought. I thought the intensity was high, but the duration low, which is fine by me. The weights were lighter, but sometimes you need that break from the weight. I think air squats are one of my favorite exercises ever, super intense yet low impact. Love that!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.