RECOVERY CHECK-IN WK OF 8/14!

tralaiven

Cathlete
Hi...I have not been posting because I have been very busy, and very much in pain and not able to wrkout due to those reasons!!!

However, I was able to do 25 min of spinning this a.m. and some left arm weight work.

I went to the dr yesterday and had a good report!! New bone is being laid down and (she is a different dr than before) she confirmed that I should not need surgery. I am so thankful for this as I have had many people sharing their surgery stories. and this has been freaking me a bit. I am still dealing with pain, but that is normal and I start formal physical therapy tomorrow. I have also been released to spin (which is good since I have been for a wk) and walk...though not power walking, of course. I still cannot lie down to sleep comfortably and must sleep in a recliner, but I think that will change in a few weeks!

kiki: it is good to hear from you and I see you have been getting a lot of exercise in!

JeanneMarie: wow, you are doing so well in your recovery this check in will be unnecessary for you soon!:):(

KiKi, it sounds like you are getting in some great exercise! Good for you!

Tracy, I am so glad you got a good doctor's report! Yay! That is HUGE! I know the feeling. It's such a relief to realize you are closer to being healed, than you are to having been injured.

I am doing pretty well with my recovery! I am further away from my original injury date than you are though. I broke my wrist on May 26th, so I am almost 12 weeks into it. I may just hang around you guys in this check in for a while longer though... that way I can cheer you on!

I had therapy today. She was still pleased with my progress. She has me scheduled for this Friday, then skip a week and go in for one final visit on the Friday after that. I'll be done then! I'm still not 100% back to normal range of motion, but that may be months away.

My DS and I hiked Stone Mountain yesterday. It was a great day for it... not so hot as it has been. It's a great climb, at points almost straight up! Then last night I ran 2 miles of hills. This morning I ran 3 miles of less hilly terrain and did Jillian's NMTZ.

Tracy~ That is great news about your recovery. I am coming up on one year since my shoulder fractures, August 28th. I still don't have 100% range of motion yet, but it has only been 6 months since my last surgery. My surgeon said I would make a complete recovery, and I am almost there (about 90%). Physical therapy only took me so far towards recovery. I would have to say that I have gotten the most benefit from yoga, 3-4 times per week.
JeanneMarie~ It sounds like you are making real gains in your recovery!

I went to yoga class last night, did a 40 minute run today, and will go to yoga class tonight.

Positive, healing thoughts to all.

Sarah :)

Hi everyone, havent' been on for a few days, life gets in the way sometimes!
Ankle is coming along good, have another xray next Tuesday, keeping my fingers crossed. Went for a short spin today, only 10 mins, but felt great. Sure doesn't take long to lose your cardio conditioning.

Tracy - great news about your recovery, and thank goodness no surgery for you. Keep on spinnin' girl!

JeanneMarie - that hike sounds awesome, hill workout too. Keep it up. Please do stick around for a while, you are an inspiration to me.

Good Morning!

I've been feeling good the past couple of days, Achilles is actually having minimal pain, and only for a moment or two, here and there. So the problem now begins to be self control. This is where I went wrong last time. Because the difference comes in what I know I should do, and what I feel like doing, lol. This came into play yesterday, on my non-upper body w/o day, I felt like I could just pop in any w/o and conquer the world, but had to refrain from doing so ;) I ended up doing the Ballet Conditioning DVD and JM Yoga Meltdown. I'm thinking by next week I will try some kickbox DVDs, minus jumping, pivoting, and such (and lightly placing the foot back down after kicks) and see how it goes. I couldn't even handle "low-impact" w/o's before, so I'm hoping to progress to that at least. I'm thinking I may even be able to do some total body workouts soon (minus lunges), to help w/the heart rate factor on weight days. :confused:

Tracy: Sorry you're still in so much pain, but glad to hear of the good reports from the Dr ;) Can't wait for the day to hear that you can sleep in your bed again :)

JeanneMarie: Wow, you're almost done w/therapy?! Your recovery is so inspiring. That hill w/o and hike sounds so nice. Thanks for sticking around ;)

Glenda: Yay for spinning! Even if only 10 min. I wish I had a spin bike, I think it'd be a great cardio transitioning tool for me right now. I'm sure your appt next week will bring good news :)

runninggal: I commend you for taking your recovery into your own hands, in addition to the therapy. With your determination, I can see that you will definitely get back to 100%

Hello everyone!

Sarah, has it almost been a whole year for you? Wow! And I thought 12 weeks seemed like forever. I know that this becomes your new reality though. It's odd isn't it? When it first happens it's surreal, and then after a few weeks it is what it is. You deal. You do what you can to move yourself toward being healed. I'm glad you are so close to being back to normal. I have to agree... therapy can only take you so far. Ultimately it's up to us. WE have to be proactive in getting ourselves back to the level of normal that we want to be.

Fossey, glad the ankle is coming along. I bet Tuesday can't get here fast enough. Good luck with the xray!

KiKi, I can SO relate to what you're going through regarding not doing too much. I can't tell you how many people stopped me when I was running with a cast on and asked me if my doctor knew I was running. LOL! Of course he knew. But still... people just couldn't believe I would stick to it like I did. I also wanted to do so much more than I did. I took extra care though, because my doctor repeatedly told me that if the fracture didn't stay in place those first few weeks, I'd be looking at surgery. Thank goodness I had the good sense to listen to him! Hang in there... this too shall pass!

I ran this morning my usual 3 miles. It's still a blessing and a treat to get up every day and be able to run and work out without that crazy cast! I am truly thankful! I did Cathe's GymStyle Back/Shoulders/Biceps. I didn't have to modify anything until I got to the biceps. I still can't curl a barbell of any poundage... but I subsitituted dumbbells and did okay. I was holding a 20 lber in my left hand and 10 lber in my right. :p

Happy, healthy thoughts to all of you! :cool:

hi all...I am not doing anything this morning because I have my first PT this afternoon and don't want to overdo and don't know what to expect. Maybe this afternoon I'll spin a bit, but we'll see....

kiki: I hope you won't do anything for a few wks and let that thing heal! I just saw on another forum that DH started STS!!! woo hoo!

runninggal: how did you get hurt in the first place?

fossey: I agree it does feel great to do sthg again, and it does get lost fast...but I think it will come back faster too since we started in better shape...at least I am hoping.

jeannemarie: you're doing great!

Last edited:
Tracy~ I was going to ask you the same thing, how did you get hurt? My story is: I was out for a run, on a paved path, and caught the toe of my running shoe on a tree root that had created a bump in the path. I went flying, put my arms out to break my fall, and my left arm and shoulder took the brunt of the fall; Hence the 4 fractures in my humerus.

Kiki~ thank you for the warm words.

JeanneMarie~ I have a hard time believing that it has been a year since my fall, but you are so right, you just have to move thru it. I laughed when I read your words about the different weights in your hands. When I started lifting weights again after my second surgery, I used a 2 pound weight in my left hand and an 8 in my right. Now, I can use 10 lbs in my left hand for bicep work, but have to go down to a 5 or 3 for shoulders, and can't lift anything overhead. It does get better ;)

Healing thoughts,
Sarah

I went to my PT today and it went well... she did some good stuff and gave me some exercises...

Sarah: I injured myself when I fell off my bike. Usually DH and I went together, but he was tired that evening, so I went by myself on what was to be a 20 mi ride...but about 4 mi into it I took a left turn ( I was on a riding trail) and took a flight myself, landing right on my rt shoulder.

So how did you get up? Did someone come along...did you walk home?

I had just passed a gal who was jogging and she called DH and paramedics ...I couldn't move myself... so I had to lay there for what seemed like a long time because they were concerned I might have broken my back or neck...But I didn't and told them as much....I told them I wasn't paralyzed and all of me was fine except for my arm/shoulder...at first I thought it might be dislocated....

also I think we might live in the same gen'l area because you mentioned UC Berkeley...I am in the East Bay.

really just posting to put us back on the first page...:D

but then I remembered I saw a posting that kikster made concerning the low impact....kiki...you said...little did you know when you pre-ordered that you would actually need them when they came out!!! Me too!!! honestly, I only ordered them way back then because they were Cathe, but had a bit of a private snooty attitude toward them because they were low impact :(

Now, I am looking fwd to their release because when they come out...I think I may be able to start doing them by then and I NEED them now....who'd have thunk it?

Tracy~ I'm from the East Bay (grew up there and lived and worked there most of my adult life). I live in Hawaii now and was home last summer, visiting my parents, friends, and siblings when I fell.

In answer to your question: I was out running early on a Saturday morning and no one was around. A lady had passed me, going in the opposite direction, but she didn't see me fall and was gone when I looked back. I had to walk home, about a mile. I knew my arm was broken and I had to talk out loud to myself all the way home, to keep myself from going into shock. The pain was horrific and now that I look back on it, I must have been going on pure adreneline because they couldn't give me enough morphine in the ER at John Muir.
My surgeon's practice is in Berkeley and I had the first surgery with him in September, flew home to Hawaii, and then flew back to Berkeley in January for my second surgery.

Were you riding your bike on the Iron Horse Trail by any chance?

Glad your PT went well. I went to PT in Orinda after both my surgeries.

Sarah

Sarah: I cannot imagine walking a mile afterward! I could not get up and I tried! I was riding on the bike trails in Livermore...the Wente Trail off Concannon which winds through the beautiful vineyards..DH and I have ridden Iron Horse together once...from Dublin to the end and back...50 mi.

Tracy~ Yeah, I can't imagine walking a mile with a broken shoulder either, but I did. I guess I went into survival-mode.
I have been on the Wente trail. I did a hike in Livermore with a friend of mine in January, the week after my surgery. It's beautiful out there.
You and your hubby are hardcore bike riders...50 miles! :cool:
BTW~ I'm from Danville.

Sarah

Hey ladies! I don't think I checked in at all yesterday :confused: , but Wed. I did KCM Muscle Definition, and yesterday was JM Yoga Meltdown. I know I can use all the stretching I can get, but IDK if I was quite ready for that Yoga Meltdown ;). So as soon as I finished, I packaged that bad boy right back up and set it in the mailbox (Netflix, lol) :p . Maybe another time. It wasn't very stretch-y, lol, since it was mostly power yoga, reminding me of the "stretch" class we had at the Disney RT, where we all woke up the next day w/more DOMS from the stretch than the w/o's :p. My Achilles just can't handle holding some of those poses for so long, but it would be a decent w/o otherwise. (esp. when traveling, since no equipment is needed)

Sarah: OMG, your story made me cringe! Thank God you were able to channel that adrenaline and get some help :eek: . Wow! It makes your recovery story that much more amazing. You were saying that you thought that frequent yoga is helping aid your recovery, any particular type?

JeanneMarie: Thanks for the words of wisdom! I will def be recalling your advice often, seeing as you are where many of us are hoping to get back to ;) I have to keep reminding myself that complete healing takes time, easier said than done, lol. I keep thinking that I'll settle down when the new series gets here, because then I don't have to think so much about what I can/can't do. I'm so used to having my w/o's planned out, that this "day-by-day" is overwhelming me. Yes, I'm a planner, and I'm easily overwhelmed, lovely combo :rolleyes:

Tracy: I'm am trying to just let it heal, it's just SO hard, lol. It would be so much easier if they could just slap a cast on it, therefore literally hindering me from doing certain things, lol. It's just seeing it there, looking so...normal...lol, makes me wanna act...normal :p I think that DH and DS doing Cathe w/o's is just making it worse, lol. DS was doing Hiit (30/30) yesterday, and just hearing him (and Cathe's voice on blast down there ;) ) I've NEVER had the urge to do a tuck jump so bad! ROFL

Hey everyone, just checking in. Did a 24 minute spin on Wednesday, and another 27 today. Feels so good to sweat again! Happy weekend everyone, hopefully go for a swim over the weekend.

kiki: I have never HAD an urge to do a tuck jump!:eek: I hate those thangs...Keep in mind that there is 5'9" of me to tuck...so generally, I would just jump.

fossey: I hear you on the sweat! Spinning is my choice rt now too.

Last night I did 25 min. of spinning, left arm weight work, squats and stationary lunges...felt good!

Finished today's w/o, decided on PS: CST :)

Tracy: LOL, I've never had an urge to tuck jump either, lol! Then again, I always had the use of my feet! ROFL I could always just quit early/refuse to do them if I chose, but it hit me when DS was down there, just jumpin away, that "I wish that was me!" :D

Glenda: Yay for sweat!!! :eek: I SO miss it, I wish I had a spin bike! You and Tracy are so lucky, lol. I'm wondering when I can handle the elliptical (that's what I do have), it's low impact, but I'm still scared to be on my feet for long, or if I get tempted to keep lifting my heel (as if I'm really running) what might happen? :confused: I suppose if I kept my foot flat the whole time....sigh...idk

Kiki ~ I am absolutely certain that yoga has made a huge difference in my recovery. Physical therapy was a vital piece, especially post-op, but it didn't take me far enough to getting my range of motion back. It seems that regardless of how good your health insurance coverage is, the insurance companies are limiting the number of PT sessions allowable. I was not going to settle for anything less than a total recovery, so I sought out different ways to enhance/accelerate my recovery. That is when I "discovered" yoga.

I am very fortunate because there is a fabulous community of yoga teachers here in Hawaii. I started out in a gentle yoga class (Hatha) for the first 3 months and then moved on to flow classes and now, vinyasa. I take 3 to 5 yoga classes per week. Yoga has done wonderful things for my shoulder, but equally important are the benefits to my mind and spirit.

Namaste,

Sarah ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

It makes me cringe to hear your stories about how your injuries happened. It really does show how strong and resilient we all are. From Sarah's mile walk home with a broken shoulder, to those of us exercising despite our limitations. Very inspiring group you all are!

I had OT yesterday. I keep wanting to call it physical therapy, but when it involves the hand and wrist, they call it Occupational therapy. Not sure why?

She was very pleased with my progress. I am still way ahead of the curve as far as recovery time. She did measurements again, to compare my range of motion and grip strength from the first time I was in there 3 weeks ago. My grip strength in my right hand has gone from 20 lbs to 40 lbs. For me about 65-70 lbs is normal. I am only 8 degrees off normal for backward flexion of my wrist. I'm about 4 degrees off normal for rotation to the outside. While this is great progress, and definitely considered functional, it's not "normal" for me yet, so I will continue to work on it. I have one more therapy session next week, and then she'll dismiss me.

Yesterday I did Firm Volume 1. That was my first video workout, and still one of my favorites. I lowered the poundage a bit, but only had to modify the push ups. I did them all on my knees, so that is progress!

I also ran 6 miles. It's still so hot here. Running is a major sweat fest!

Have a good weekend everyone!

jeannemarie: congrats on your progress! I am so glad for you..make me want to get out there and spin! also, my first serious workout tape was THE FIRM #3 with Sandahl Bergman back in 1993. That was one of the first, I think, to use a high step. At the time, I did not have a high step, of course, and didn't really know what I was doing... so I used a 5 gal paint bucket that I turned upside down. It was a bit precarious at first, but then I got used to it and became a pro at using it...I must have done that workout 100 times!

Just got back from lunch with dear friends...so I think I will go out and spin and do my weights and stationary squat and lunge work. Usually when I spin I just pop in a movie...but it can get soooo boring..and I don't have any spin dvds. Right now I am watching the end of Cranford.

As for having a spin bike, actually what I have is one of those apparatuses that you put on the back of your regular bike that turns it into stationary bike... It's called a Mag 500 Minoura ( I think). anyway, I have never been on a reg. spin bike, but this thing is ok with me! and I still get mt sweat on.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.