Ran my first race......a 10K

angie_nrs

Cathlete
I just want to shout from the roof tops that I did this, but I really don't have anyone to yell to. DH is out of town and I don't have any fitness friends in my hometown.:confused: I can't really beam about it to my friends or family here b/c they are not exactly into fitness and it just feels vain to talk about it with them. But, I knew you all would 'get it'.

I'm so excited! I decided a couple of days ago to run a 10K today. I live in a small....and I mean really small town in northern Michigan (ie: the sticks) which has a summer fest and offers a 5 or 10K race. I thought, what the hey.....I usually run about 6 miles once or twice a week.....might as well give it a shot. What have I got to lose?

I went alone and signed up this morning and had no idea what to eat so I had a cup of coffee. I generally run in the afternoon, not at 8am.:rolleyes: So, I was completely out of my element. I was nervous, felt out of place, and I don't consider myself a runner. In fact, until I actually used my odometer the other day to see how far I actually run, I had no idea. Come to find out, I typically run 6.6 miles, so I thought I might as well sign up for the 10K since that is my normal distance. My time, on the other hand.....usually runs about 65 minutes or more.

I know folks say that it's just a run for/against yourself. Yeah, I get that, but the competition mode really kicks in when you are in a crowd of people. I finally found my pace at about mile 1 and hung strong. I finished 3rd in my age class....which really wasn't super spectacular since there was only about 6-8 women in the 40-49 age range. But, I did clock in at 56:11 which I'm super stoked about since this was my first go around.:D I just can't wipe this stupid smile off my face. Aside from attending one of Cathe's RT's, this is probably the second most physically impulsive and satisfying things I have done in fitness. I highly recommend it to anyone out there on the fence about participating in a race or any other physical event. Today is a day I doubt I will ever forget.:)

CONGRATS ANGIE!!! Way to go in your 1st 10K!! I will disagree a bit though as I think 3rd in your age division is spectacular...:)...and quite an awesome pace....You really do get the adrenaline pumping when you get around all the other runners. Watch out, this can certainly be addicting....Happy running....:D

Wonderful, Angie! What a great time, too! I know how you feel about not having anyone to share with! My DH gets the running stuff, but none of my Cathe fever! LOL! I sense a race addict in the making! What's next for you, a half marathon, right?

You just beam and hold your head high! Enjoy this feeling! I'm looking forward to my first race in October! I love hearing about everyone else's experiences! It makes me that much more excited for my upcoming race!

Congratulations!

Congratulations Angie!!! I totally get what you're feeling. I felt the same way on my first race. Be careful racing is very addicting! I did 20 races my first year!

Taking 3rd in your age group is SPECTACULAR!!

I live in a rural area and I love it when I win an age group award, even though there usually is only 2 people in my age group...me and my twin sister!!

Enjoy your accomplishment!!

I just want to shout from the roof tops that I did this, but I really don't have anyone to yell to. DH is out of town and I don't have any fitness friends in my hometown.:confused: I can't really beam about it to my friends or family here b/c they are not exactly into fitness and it just feels vain to talk about it with them. But, I knew you all would 'get it'.

:)

You came to the right place to shout it out. I know exactly how you feel. Last year when I ran my first 5k, I was in the same situation. DH was out of town, DD had something planned. I got up that morning and told myself just go do. Even though no one was there to watch me, I was still very glad I finally did. Congrats to you and your time was great. That part I can't say I did the same. My time wasn't so great,LOL. Way to go on your race.

Wow!!! Good job, and keep on shoutin'!!! We'll whoop and holler right along with you. I found racing last year - and I'm hooked! Watch out, it's addicting!

Nan

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing with us. It's great to hear about your accomplishment--and I think your finish IS spectacular.

Awwwwww.:eek: You all are so sweet. Thanks so much for your kind words. I love coming here and sharing with folks that understand.

Thanks also for the 'heads up' on becoming addicted. I just picked up a pamplet at the bank for another 10K that is only about 20 miles away coming up in August. If I'm home (and not camping), I'm sure I will give it another go. I certainly can't say ya didn't warn me.:confused:

It's so cool to read all of your experiences.....thanks for posting.;)

<<<<< Angie . . . >>>>>

Woo Hoo girl ! ! !

I challenged myself to a 10K in my home town for our Garlic Festival the year I turned 50. Was kinda like you but did sign up a little farther ahead. Went by myself, saw a few folks I knew but pretty much stayed to myself the whole way. Just wanted to do it !

I LOL'd cuz it turned out to be the exact route I run when my legs are feeling like a long run (for me at least). I usually do a 4 2/3 mile loop but the long loop is 6.25.

It took me 62 mins so you totally ROCKED it ! ! !

Congrats - I'll share with the other DC'ers for ya ! ;) Ciao !

That time beats mine all to hell! Awesome job, girl!

LOL! I'm such a dork.:rolleyes: I couldn't help but try this coarse again and see what my time would be without the adrenaline rush. Today I pooped out on one of the hills and took a quick walk break and of coarse, I had to run beside the road instead of choosing my line in the middle of the road this time as well. Also, I ran at about 3:30 instead of 8am so it was much warmer. My time today was 58:58, which is almost 3 minutes more than it was on Saturday. I can't believe how much the rush of an actual race shaved off my time.

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome! I'm beaming with a stupid grin on my face just thinking about what you did!!! :D Be careful, as Jane said, races are totally addicting!! I ran my first in August I've got races lined up for months now!!

Where in Northern Michigan are you? I grew up in the sticks of Baldwin which is in the middle of no where in Michigan. :)

Congrats again!! 3rd in your age group is fabulous no matter how many people were running (. . . unless of course it was just you :p)

Congratulations!!!!!!! Shout it out Angie!!!!! That's the way to do it. Just get in there and go for it....just what you did and I'm so glad you did!!!! I can feel your energy and so happy you shared this with us. High Five !!!!!!!

I'm so excited! I decided a couple of days ago to run a 10K today. I live in a small....and I mean really small town in northern Michigan (ie: the sticks) which has a summer fest and offers a 5 or 10K race. I thought, what the hey.....I usually run about 6 miles once or twice a week.....might as well give it a shot. What have I got to lose?

I went alone and signed up this morning and had no idea what to eat so I had a cup of coffee. I generally run in the afternoon, not at 8am.:rolleyes: So, I was completely out of my element. I was nervous, felt out of place, and I don't consider myself a runner. In fact, until I actually used my odometer the other day to see how far I actually run, I had no idea. Come to find out, I typically run 6.6 miles, so I thought I might as well sign up for the 10K since that is my normal distance. My time, on the other hand.....usually runs about 65 minutes or more.

I know folks say that it's just a run for/against yourself. Yeah, I get that, but the competition mode really kicks in when you are in a crowd of people. I finally found my pace at about mile 1 and hung strong. I finished 3rd in my age class....which really wasn't super spectacular since there was only about 6-8 women in the 40-49 age range. But, I did clock in at 56:11 which I'm super stoked about since this was my first go around.:D I just can't wipe this stupid smile off my face. Aside from attending one of Cathe's RT's, this is probably the second most physically impulsive and satisfying things I have done in fitness. I highly recommend it to anyone out there on the fence about participating in a race or any other physical event. Today is a day I doubt I will ever forget.:)

Awwwwww.:eek: You all are so sweet. Thanks so much for your kind words. I love coming here and sharing with folks that understand.

Thanks also for the 'heads up' on becoming addicted. I just picked up a pamplet at the bank for another 10K that is only about 20 miles away coming up in August. If I'm home (and not camping), I'm sure I will give it another go. I certainly can't say ya didn't warn me.:confused:

It's so cool to read all of your experiences.....thanks for posting.;)

This is funny. I started running races last fall, and now am looking high and low for them. I sent DH an email earlier today asking if he knew the place where one of them was at. He sent me back that yes, he knew where is was, and am I addicted to racing now. ;):p

Nan

You all sure know how to make my day.:D Thank you sooooo very much for your kindness.

For Nan and all those other addicted runners out there, a fellow Cathlete told me about this site a while ago. You probably already know of it, but if not, it lists all the races in your area. I was amazed at how many races there were fairly close to me......even in 'the sticks.' It might help feed your addiction.;)

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.