Quick poll to mothers of daughters

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I have a soon to be 15 year old daughter and she looks great in those low rider jeans, The question is, I went to my sons school and noticed a girl that couldn't be older than 13 wearing low rider jeans and she was hunched over and you could see her panties and she was wearing a thong. My daughter says the girls say if you aren't wearing a thong you are wearing granny panties. I question is this, how many of you would let your daughter wear a thong? I have asked my daughter if that is what she wants for panties this next year and she said she didn't know.

I have a 12 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. I wouldn't let my daughter wear a thong or the low-low riders and I wouldn't let my son hang around with a girl who did. At that age, you aren't mature enough to handle the attention you get for wearing a thong. Let her get bikini underware, it is close enough.

Just my opinion.

I don't have a daughter but I know what I would do. They have low rise underwear that are full coverage. I would get her some of those. You can get them at Target. Plus they are really more comfortable, and you will feel better knowing that she is not wearing a thong.
Just MHO!

Kathy

Hi Leslie Marie,

I'm not a mom, but I think I have a motherly personality, if that makes sense. All of the following, just IMHO... First, lowish jeans are okay for 15 year olds. I really don't care for the kind that you practically need a bikini wax for, and I think they are going out of style anyway. Even with average waisted pants, when you bend over, there is often a gap between the lower back and pants that reveals underwear. I think it's important to remind younger girls about this and give them a few pointers on pulling your shirt down in the back or pull the back of their pants up a bit when sitting down.

Wearing super low pants with the intention of showing a thong isn't appropriate. I see a lot of girls doing this, and there's nothing sexy about it. I hate that underwear has become outerwear, and I think that's the main issue. I think 15 is old enough to wear a thong- not a fancy frilly thing or a g-string. I think it would be okay for your daughter to try a simple thong or lower bikini to see if she thinks they're comfortable and if she's comfortable wearing them. I'd definitely emphasize that the choice of underwear is about what she feels good in, not what other people think is cool, because no one else should be seeing it. A thong can be appropriate if worn appropriately.

The next time you talk about it, you may want to mention that "butt cleavage" is no longer fashionable (and never was lol). I'm sorry to ramble.

Good luck!
Gina

Great reply shopgirl. My daughters are quite a bit younger, but that would be my feeling on the situation. By the way, who in the world ever thought thought thongs were comfortable? I tried them out along time ago and couldn't wait to get the d*** thing off. I guess girls today like to be sexy, not practical. But then what teen is practical?:D

Hi Leslie Marie: I am the Mother of 3 daughter aged 15, 13 and 9. I was stunned when this first came up as an issue, I just didn't see it coming. Personally I don't mind wearing a thong, I am comfortable wearing clingy pants on occasion and loathe the dreaded panty line, the thong takes care of it nicely.
My two older Girls wear low rise jeans (I love them too!) but at school they can't show belly, I got a call from the school last year that my eldest was given a team jersey to wear as her attire was too revealing and inappropriate. I supported that 100% and siezed the opportunity to sit down with her and review appropriate and inappropriate. When she started to wear lowrise, tighter jeans she felt the same as me about pantyline and so I bought her a thong and forgot about it. She came home one day and said that at school her and some other girls were talking about boys and 'boxers or briefs' and then someone said for the girls it's 'panties or thong' and that only sl#ts wear thongs. My jaw dropped, I couldn't believe that underwear had become a means of catagorizing, labeling and judging people. My daughter does not wear her thong outside of her pant waist when I'm around and I trust her judgement when I'm not around.
I went back to school in 2000 for 3 years at 38 years of age to a Community College overflowing with 19 to 23 year olds. Most of the girls wore low rise jeans and many of them had no problem with showing thong as they walked the halls or sat down or bent down into their lockers. It was my observation that the amount of thong showing was no relative indication of the character of the individual. While at the College I worked part time in the bursary and alumni office and was humbled to meet so many wonderful young adults who gave of themselves to the community locally and globally. I came to realize that I was surrounded by unrecognizable heroes, these young men in baggy jeans and ball caps and young women in lowrise jeans and visible underwear could easily be labelled and dismissed as thugs and skanks but they ARE heroes (I didn't even mention the tattoos and piercings). I am so glad I went back to school when I did and got a sense of what it's like to be young today and what my Girls are in for. Issues have changes so much, even Oprah did a show about young girls and thongs which got me and my daughters talking about it yet again. I have worked hard to cultivate an environment where my children can talk to me about anything without fear of judgement. My opinion is that no one needs to know what kind of underwear anyone is wearing, they are UNDERWEAR!!!! Ultimately my opinion will only matter so much to my girls as they become more and more autonomous but again I trust their judgement. Sorry I didn't mean to go on so long.......HTH:)

Take Care
Laurie

I don't have a daughter, but I have sisters who have daughters and I have a teenage son. Your daughter may be a very sweet girl but I can tell you that my teenage son if he happens to notice a thong sticking out of a girls underwear, he's not thinking about what a nice personality she has. I think everyone has to exercise some level of concern as to what we do may affect other people. Not that your daughter has any responsibility to be the lead role model but just that I think these days too many young girls are looked at as being more mature than they actually are simply because of the way they are dressed. Not by the women, but to often by men and boys. That would lead me to say no, to a thong. By the way, I do encourage my son to try and stay focused on his studies and not what the young girls seem to be wearing or not wearing depending on the current fashion.

My fifteen year old wears lowriders but only a small abount of belly shows and I'm cool with that. She also wears thongs but they don't show at all. I would not allow her to wear her underpants above her jeans. They are after all, underpants. At school, bellies must be covered and that mean's tops that are longer. They don't allow spaghetti straps either. At home and during the summer, shorter tanks and spaghetti straps are fine as long as they are not too immodest. An inch or two below the navel is acceptable. Britches that seem to defy gravity are not.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Well, you're getting a lot of responses from non-Moms, so I'll register my vote here. I don't think there is any problem with a 15-yr. old wearing thong underwear as long as it is under her clothes and her clothes are not see-through.

OK--I have to chime in as well, as I feel the same way about thongs sticking out of jeans as I do about the low-carb craze--it's just stupid!! I'm speaking as an in-betweener here b/c I'm 24 years old and like to dress a little crazy now and then when I go out on the town. I also just graduated from college last year, so I know what that age group is wearing. My opinion on low-rise jeans is that they are totally cute and I love wearing them. However, when they first became the trend my friends and I all had a debate about how to keep our panties from showing. I always wear thongs with tighter-fitting pants to eliminate the dreaded panty line. But showing your underwear in public is just downright tacky. WE all decided that if we were wearing pants that would show our underwear when we sat, then we would just spend the night standing up! Sounds crazy, I know. Even the celebrities that have shown their undies in public are criticized by the fashion gurus in hollywood. (I read that in Cosmo) I also don't blame the boys for having those kind of thoughts when they see this unfortunate trend b/c girls that have their panties sticking out obviously want the boys to see them! I don't remember what age I started wearing thongs, but it was pretty young--and I did it to avoid a panty line. No one could tell by looking at me if I was a thonger or granny-pantier. If you really think that your daughter's intentions for slimmer panties are what they should be, then it seems fine--as long as you think she would keep them concealed!LOL

Hi,
Thank goodness I don't have this problem yet, my daughter is in diapers. She is 9 months old. As i joke though my hubby and i made a diaper thong for her, obviosly she didn't wear it though. (Not poop proof). Anyway, back to the serious issue at hand, I second the recom. for fuller coverage low rise underwear. Low rise jeans are cute and trendy but should not be too low on a barely 15 year old. Thongs are not approp. for a young teen. I am a therapist working with teens. it is scary how quickly teens are trying to grow up, and how early teens are having sex.

I'm a amazed by how particularly Middle school girls dress. Its a riot such a still a mans world cuz the boys just cover up more and more - lower pants, bigger shirt.

Funny my kids always talk about the slut girls... they dress that way and keep the boys happy.

I do not agree all kids are there way. Granted I'm not a theraptist but is seems a few kids are growing up a lot faster but not the great masses.

My advice LeslieMarie don't ask her what she wants. You should decide for her what is appropriate and set the limits. I truly believe teenagers do want/need someone to provide limits. Just my .02

Robyn, I totally agree with you.......
I don't remember getting to totally pick out my clothes as a teen, I do remember either my mom taking me shopping or bringing me new clothes home.....
I don't have daughters only sons, and I would not let my teen daughter wear a thong, there is plenty of time for that once she is on her own....... that is if I had a teen daughter, I am thankful I don't.........
I believe girls should dress in a way that doesn't give a boy any thing to talk about........ Rhonda :7

Another Mom of Boys

I feel bad responding since you asked moms of daughters, but I have two boys and I have to say that if I had a daughter, I would say "no" to visible thongs. I would probably allow her to wear them if they were under her clothes and if she bought them with her own money, but I would also remind her that there is gym class and all the attendant gossip about your underwear. I wore granny panties until I was old enough and rich enough to buy my own underwear and I switched immediately to moderate bikini. Needless to say, moderate bikini is what I would recommend for a teenage daughter.

I admire those of you who are trying to raise girls in this society. It's not easy to instill self-respect when our society tells girls that self-respect= flaunting your body.

(About my boys... a girl in a visible thong might excite my teenager, but he would have a hard time respecting her. I know and he knows that all people are worthy of respect, but if it came time to ask a girl to the prom, the one with the visible thong would most likely not be his choice.)

I have to say – I have a 13 year old daughter, who looks like she is 18 (not by what she wears, etc.) she is 5’3 and wears a 34c bra (which I think she may have gone up) and wears a size1/2, 3/4 jeans. So she is built like a 17-18 year old, she has to shop in the Jr. dept. So you can imagine what her body looks like. In a bathing suit she has a body of Pamela Anderson, I have forewarned my husband when he sees her in a bikini this year, he is going to flip and want her to put on a big t-shirt to cover up. I hate the fact that people will look at my daughter and say “OMG she is only 13, etc.” and I can just imagine what is going through their head and I think they associate it with what she is wearing, which by all means, she never shows her belly (if it does end up showing its only about 1” above her pants, and because it shrunk in the dryer) – she wears normal t-shirts with the glitter writing, etc. just like all the other girls wear and what is in style, but it just happens that since she is so big on top that the Jr. size t-shirt’s fit her not tight but “form fitting”. And look at the models they use for the clothes on girls like Paris Hilton, no chest, etc.

You know she was very comfortable with her body, until parents starting looking at her (i.e. pool party) with the “OMG” comments. Now she is telling me that if she gets any bigger she is getting reduction and she doesn’t care how young she is. So I have to keep on reinforcing how she just developed a lot earlier than the other girls, and how she was never ashamed of her body before and she shouldn’t be know.

Anyways… to get to thong point, my daughter does wear them (she has 3 pairs) when she wears her low rise jeans, and that’s it, otherwise she wears bikini underwear, but whatever she wears they don’t show above her pants and she is extremely cautious of it, and at first I had a fit that she wanted to buy the thong, but she told me about some stories of the boys in her school (Jr. high) if they say a panty line they girl will get picked, on, comments made to her throughout the day, which I can see boys that age doing, and noticing stuff like that. So if they wear the thong, that does not show above the pants, and no panty line, no issue of anything being said from the boys, and being tormented. This age is hard enough never mind of some boy making it harder. So because she has a few pairs and wears them with whatever cloths that will show a panty line does that make her a “**ut” NO. She is an honor student, a cheerleader for school, involved with community service, volunteers at the town library. If the daughter is responsible and MATURE enough to be cautious of it not showing and the only reason why she is wears it is so that the line doesn’t show, I don’t think it is harmful.

Sorry this is long i hope you don't think it is wrong for me to have Bought some for her, but we each have our own opinions.

Lori

I have talked to my daughter and asked her what she would be comfortable wearing and she said she would rather wear bikini undies, she said Ewwww!! to thongs and won't change in gym class with thongs on LOL. Her jeans are not real low in the waist. so I am glad for that. One thing that makes me sad is she is wearing the jeans and shorts I used to wear last year!! and I can't fit into this year:( Oh well at least they look awesome on her:) as for me I slowly buy me new ones to replace the ones I can't squeeze into anymore.

Hi Leslie Marie: I think that ultimately what is important is that you have siezed this as an opportunity to keep the lines of communication open and talked with your daughter, a lot of parents aren't able to do this so congrats to you both. It sounds like you have come to a resolution that everyone feels comfortable with which is great.
It's such a challenging time for the Moms of Daughters who are on the cusp of becoming women; as we watch them grow and become more independant we celebrate but know the pain that comes through the teen years and we so deeply want to protect them while giving them room to grow, growing pains on both sides, it never ends but I love the way it unfolds.
This has been a very interesting thread and yet another chance to talk to my Girls about these things, thanks. :) :)

Take Care
Laurie

Good point Lori. It all depends on your kid and how she carries herself and how mature she is.

Bottom line (no pun intended), it's only underware, not a statement of their personality.

Just my two cents.

Shopgirl :)

I agree with Nancy:

I don't think there is any problem with a 15-yr. old wearing thong underwear as long as it is under her clothes and her clothes are not see-through.

I think underwear are meant to be 'under' wear. Whatever she wears underneath her clothes does not bother me -- whatever she likes/comfortable with. A matter of personal preference.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.