Question for Road Bikers - what do you ride?

LadyUnix

Cathlete
Hello Everyone!

I know there are some people around here that bike, and it seems I'm getting more and more into it and my boyfriend and I are making a committment to continue with this to stay fit and healthy together. We did the MS 150 in MN together this year, and will do it again next year along with a Century. Between April and June I rode over 1,000 miles this year; scheudle and sickness has kept me from riding a whole lot past June this summer, however.

So I need a better bike and I'm justifying to myself spending the money. Right now I have a Trek Hybrid 7.3FX. I've talked myself into spending about $2K on a bike; something I couldn't have enivsioned just 2 years ago. I'll be saving up over the next 7 months to get it.

I've test rode a Specialized Ruby Compat and the Trek Madone 4.5. I think I'm going with the 200 Trek Madone (one left at my local bike shop, on clearance, and I can put it on layaway), because of how unbelievably comfortable it was. (not the 2010, because they downgraded components on it to fill in a lower price point)

So I'm interested in what all you bikers here ride? And what do you think of it? I'd love to hear it!

Hi there- congrats on the MS150! Yes, if you are going to do much riding, you need to move beyond the hybrid, as you have discovered. I ride an Orbea Diva and L.O.V.E. it. I found it at the LBS, and it was a leftover from the previous year models so I got a great deal on it, plus paid cash and that saved the sales tax. One thing you will want to investigate, if you haven't already, are the gear ratios/crank setup and also the shifters - I ride SRAM and really, really like it. Have fun out there :)

Thanks for the reply Meowracer! Looks like you have a lovely bike.
I had not heard of Orbea's, but I had a look at found a couple dealers by me, and I'll stop by tomorrow. THey look like wonderful bikes, and I can't wait. I tried to get there today but messed up directions and didn't get there before the closed and am soooooo bummed!
I'll not be able to afford a Diva, but I'm sure I won't need such a bike. Do you race?

Actually, meowracer comes from when I raced motorcycles! I do not race road bikes but I would like to get into it. I have just begun competing in triathlons and have only had the bike since July. My bike had a list price of something like $3600, I think, maybe $3500 and I paid $2400. It was an amazing deal - I think it helped that I went to the shop often, looking and asking questions, and when I finally decided to buy, I told them what I wanted to pay for it, after doing lots of research online and asking them outright what they could do for me. I looked at every brand of bike that is out there and it was the Orbea's that just called to me every single time. Nothing else got me excited but those bikes - just something about them!

You can get a very solid bike in the $2k range - no matter what you choose, you'll be happy. Your decision should be based on what frames fit YOU. I have and love my Specialized Roubaix, but that might not fit you at all. The key is to go test drive a lot of different brands and see what feels right to you. Find a bike shop you feel comfortable with and spend a lot of time talking with the folks there.

That said, the Trek Madone is a SWEET ride. :)

Ok, so you all seem to be serious cyclists! I do most of mine in spin class, but I am starting to think about dual-a-thons or even tris and I'm guessing my $150 Schwinn *mountain bike* from Target won't quite cut it.:rolleyes: What is the least amount of money you can get away with spending on a bike for the occasional race? I just can't imagine spending thousands on something I would probably use a few times a year (at this point). My car was only $3k! :eek: Are there cheaper options if most of your miles will be in a gym, but you need something for those times you are on the road?
Thanks for any help!
Becky

Debbie - when I saw you as the last person to post, I KNEW you were thinking motorcycles :)

Becky - I did my first tri on a hybrid bike and you certainly see plenty of people out there on cheaper bikes. Like one of the event leaders said at my last race, it is always fun, if you are on a cheaper, heavier bike, to pass those tooling away on a seriously pricey bike! If I were you, I would try a couple of races on the bike you have, just to see if you want to pursue this. You will in NO WAY be the only person out there on a regular ol' bike. Unless you are entering for the purpose of placing, then try it on your bike first. As for getting a better bike, check craigslist and your local bike shop for used bikes.

Becky - I did my first tri on a hybrid bike and you certainly see plenty of people out there on cheaper bikes. Like one of the event leaders said at my last race, it is always fun, if you are on a cheaper, heavier bike, to pass those tooling away on a seriously pricey bike! If I were you, I would try a couple of races on the bike you have, just to see if you want to pursue this. You will in NO WAY be the only person out there on a regular ol' bike. Unless you are entering for the purpose of placing, then try it on your bike first. As for getting a better bike, check craigslist and your local bike shop for used bikes.

Yup, that. :) You will NOT be the only one riding a hybrid/MTB. Before you invest in a road bike, see if you actually like duathlons/triathlons first. If you DO like them, you won't be happy with your recently purchased cheapie and will be looking to upgrade ASAP. If you are just planning on the occasional race for fun, you don't need a hard core bike.

I'll warn you though - tri is an incredibly addicting sport! If you do one, you very well may fall in love. The upside is you'll save $$ on workout vids - no time/need for that any longer! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.