Push ups- knees or no knees?

butterflygurl

Cathlete
Hi all,

I have lost in excess of 60 pounds and still have about 80 lbs to go. I still do push ups on my knees. This is still very challenging for me. I was flipping through Jillian Michaels new book (can't think of the name now) in Border's this weekend. I realize her book is targeted toward those who "have that last 5 pounds to lose". In her book she made it clear that she does not encourage "girl push ups". I want to progress to push ups on my toes; however, it is very difficult for me to squeeze one out- let alone a whole set of 10 or so. I was wondering if I should just tough it out and start trying to do toe push ups or should I continue knee push ups until I have more weight off. I think my upper body is still just too heavy to try to lift it on my toes at this point. What are your thoughts on knee push ups v. toe push ups? I do hold plank the position for at least one minute in the attempt to prepare my body for doing toe push ups. Any other advice/recommendations?

TIA!!:)

Kim- I think you can do both...
Start with 1 or 2 perfect form toe p/ups then drop to knees and focus on form and depth. I'm a personal trainer and I see people doing toe pushups but really not getting the full benefit because they cant go low enough. Its almost like they are doing a long arm plank instead. The toe push ups with proper form AND depth take time to build up your strength... If you go very low with your knee push ups you will build up to the toes one at a time.
My "guess" is that when a trainer encourages NO KNEES its because women often have a mental barrier that needs to be brokken before they can really give strength training their all. Just my thoughts!
Congrats on all you have/are accomplishing! How inspiring!!:7

I totally understand your question. I have been doing push-ups forever and still cannot do straight-leg ones. I think it's more important to use good form than to push yourself into a position that is uncomfortable with bad form. I see results with doing them "girl style" and see nothing wrong with doing them that way. I do try to mix it up and do a few staight-leg ones just to push myself a bit, but I find that I definitely cannot go deep as I'd like to by doing them straight-legged. And I really believe good form is the most important goal.

Had a break through lately. I am at the stage of consiladating my graduation to toes. I am still about 6-8 and have spread feet wider than hip width. I find that this helps to contract my core as it can slouch when my feet are together. I am at a steady pace slogging it out. I want to build my strenght and enduance at this leval before moving on. After 6-8 on my toes its back to knees on the floor. Its like losing the flab slow and steady....

I think you are right when it comes to spreading the legs further apart, when first doing the straight leg push-up. I, often, tell the women in my karate classes to start that way, because our instructor does not allow doing them on their knees. Within a few weeks they get their legs closer and closer!

To become a black belt, one must do 50 straight leg push-ups waith excellent form! I am a first degree black belt - Cathe has helped me to work up to my 50. I think Cathe's negative push-ups are a good way to start, too. A count of 2 down on the knees, then a count of 6 going up on the toes. Then she reverses that. I think that one is one LIC.

I hope this helps!
Cheryl

Here's my opinion: do as many as you can on your toes (even if it's just one right now) and then drop to your knees. Each time you do them, try to squeeze out one more on your toes. Also, spread your legs out in a "V". It will make them easier to do.

I think it's hard to transition from knees to toes because the mechanics are a bit differnt.

Better, IMO, is to do on-the-toe push-ups, but at a level at which you can do them, progressing them as you get better. Start with your hands on a wall, if necessary, then move to hands on the kitchen counter, then hands on the bathtub edge or the seat of a kitchen chair, then hands on the high step set at 16", then 12". Then hands on the step, set at 8", then 6", then 4". From there, you can go to the floor.

Start anywhere in this progression that is challenging but doable for you. Aim for a goal number (like 10), and once you can do 2 over that goal with perfect form, drop to the next progression.

I'm with Stephanie on this one. I can do them on my toes but I just feel stess on my shoulders, not more work on my pecs. I had a bad shoulder injury once and I NEVER want one of those again. Maybe my form is bad but I've really tried to do them right, I even bought push-up bars but it still feels wrong. I'll stay on my knees and not feel guilty about it.

i do as many as i can on toes then switch to knees using pushup bars that i bought at Target-i think $10. much better effect than doing knee push ups with out bars. after p90x i can do 30+ because of doing pushups and pullups alternating so u get a short break.

laura

Thanks for all the replies. I just do not feel comfortable doing them on my toes yet. I think my body weight is too heavy now. I have tried them on the wall or counter; this feels safer than my toes at this point. I think I will just keep trying different forms and do what feels safe, yet challenges me until I can finally do them on my toes.

Again, thanks for all the responses!!

Kim, I am 35 pounds down and almost to goal weight. Push-ups are much, much, much easier at goal weight then when you are heavy. It makes a big difference. Keep trying them every now and then to see where you are at. Keep doing the knee ones, because they will make you stronger, and some day you will be able to do them.

>>I think it's hard to transition from knees to toes because the mechanics are a bit differnt.

Better, IMO, is to do on-the-toe push-ups, but at a level at which you can do them, progressing them as you get better. Start with your hands on a wall, if necessary, then move to hands on the kitchen counter, then hands on the bathtub edge or the seat of a kitchen chair, then hands on the high step set at 16", then 12". Then hands on the step, set at 8", then 6", then 4". From there, you can go to the floor.

Start anywhere in this progression that is challenging but doable for you. Aim for a goal number (like 10), and once you can do 2 over that goal with perfect form, drop to the next progression.<<

I totally agree with Kathryn's suggested starter program. Go to the toes but keep the incline manageable, decreasing the incline as you progress.

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.