Push It

Heya ladies!

My w/o yesterday was a 3 mile walk plus KCM Split Session UB + STS TB compound back add-on + chest/tri's/shoulder's add-on (total time 50min). As far as the KCM w/o, again not as difficult as Cathe's, but still VERY challenging! Kelly uses 15lbs for tricep kickbacks for heaven's sake :eek:. I really like her because she is very direct, no-nonsense, motivating, nice but not overly bubbly (ahem Denise Austin :rolleyes:). She also keeps the reps in this program between 10-15, so you can go heavy (score! ;)).

Jennifer & Heartymax
The RT is fast approaching! You guys must be SO excited :eek:

Jennifer
Let me know how you like Kelly! I think she's super cool :cool:.
Bella was ok dropping of the toys. She is not really attached to most of her toys anyway. I knew from when she was very little that she was not really into the whole "toy thing". Everyone used to tell me "oh give her time. She'll start playing with barbies and dolls". Nope.

Heartymax
I hope you had a great time at the family event :).

Toni
Have a great vacation!

Jennifer--- I'm glad that you enjoyed the new church. I hope things work out there for you and Craig. the posted schedule is intimidating so I am nervous along with the excitement. That is a lot of cardio over a 3 day weekend. I have decided to do what I can and take a break when I need to:D. I remember seeing something about ziploc bags too. I have to go back and find it so I can start gathering all my stuff. I participated in the yearbook and the lady who put it together did a nice job. I just need to print it and bring it with me.

Tasha-15lbs tricpes---Holy Cow----I hope she kept the reps to 10.

We had a great time at the family event. I had some cake and a glass of wine. Oh my---but it was worth it and fun. Otherwise, as far as food, I didn't eat too much. I had plenty of veggies and skipped the grilled hotdog which I never do so that was good of me:D.

Just finished Hiit 40/20 which is still like 30/30 for me and I added on some planks.

Gotta run, the twins baptismal is today and we have to drive further to their church.

Hello!
This morning I did almost all of both the KCM's TLC - Train Like a Contender - 30min workouts (I would have completed both but ran out of time).
I did not watch them first and didn't pay too much attention to the fact that I was supposed to select WARM-UP before I selected the workout. Silly me:rolleyes:

Workout #1 - Boxing combinations; she has some really cool combinations that weren't too hard to learn. I ended up using 1lb wrist weights instead of the 3# because I actually started with w/o #2 first. Now that I know what to expect I will try to use the 3# next time but I am not sure I will be able to stay with 3#.

Workout #2 - Conditioning Drills. Alternating upper and lower body work which includes pushups and ab work.
I was not able to use my 3lb wrist weights and quickly figured that out. She starts out doing slow moves and then speeds up - so much so that I actually thought I hit the FF button somehow! It was kind of funny.

The bottom line: they were good, solid workouts and she is a great instructor. Her style is different than Cathe's so it is hard to compare; I definitely will do the workouts again!
Oh, one more thing, she has premixes which is very nice:D

Tash,
I completely agree with your opinion of KCM. I do find her to be motivating!

Sounds like you had a fantastic workout; some nice variety and strength!

That's great about Bella not being too attached to her toys. I was really attached to my stuffed animals when I was a kid:rolleyes:

Heartymax,
Cool about the yearbook; I saw some sort of post about a yearbook but didn't look into it:eek: I agree, the classes are going to be tough; I know I will push myself harder and I wonder how much I will be able to do.

Sounds like you did a great job enjoying and being careful to not over-indulge. Cake and wine was a good choice in my opinion!

Best get back to laundry and cleaning. Have a great night!

Jennifer---I read posts from old roadtrips and everyone talked about the adrenaline flowing and people being able to do more than they ever imagined. I wonder about that when I look at that schedule. Just promise to pick me up off the floor when I collapse:eek: Believe it or not----I don't even own a gym bag. Who knows what happened to the one I used to have many many years ago when I was going to the gym. I have a book bag that I use for trips so I am planning to just throw my stuff in that. It should be fine. I don't plan to buy a gym bag that I will never use.

This morning was Cross Fire---tough workout still for me.

Good morning!
This morning was about a half hour of glutes followed by 40/20.
Yesterday was glutes. They really have firmed up and the thighs are better than they used to be:)

I had a myofascial massage yesterday; it really helped relax my shoulder and neck. I tell you, sitting at a desk all day is really hard; I try to relax my shoulders and neck but it's just hard when I'm focused on work. Oh well. It might be time to break out the copy paper boxes again to make my *standing* work station. Since I still feel a bit tight I am laying off the upper body until Thursday to make sure I am in tip-top shape for the weekend.

Heartymax,
CrossFire is still hard for sure! Nice job pushing through:cool:
Using your book bag is a great idea! Oh, don't forget to throw some quarters in there... someone mentioned quarters and I'm thinking it's for a locker key; I read about Cathe's gym on the website and it mentions quarters for lockers.

You will not collapse! LOL! But if you do I will be sure to throw some water on your face and tell you to get up! Just kidding:D

I have been trying to think of what to take for Cathe to sign and the only thing I can think of is a shirt and then frame it when I get home; seriously, I can't choose just one particular DVD and I'm not taking my collection! Maybe I'll take my very first Cathe VHS workout. Decisions, decisions.

Tash,
How is the weather? I know you like to get outside:) We are supposed to get some rain and cooler temps; I guess low 90s is better than high 90s:cool:

You may have seen KCM's step boxing DVDs; she has a couple of them and they look good. It was hard to resist them but I was limited to only two. Have you looked at the previews?

Stacie,
I hope you are feeling better!

TmJ,
What is new? How is WW going?

Toni,
I hope the weather in San Antonio is fantastic:)

Have a super fantastic day!

Jennifer---ROTFL about throwing the water in my face---hey--I just may need that. You have been doing a lot of glute work. Is it more like barre work or weighted work. Please share. Doing those Hiit workouts before the roadtrip is a good idea.

Tasha--I saw on another thread that you commented have a nice shapely back with all the heavy lifting. The back is a hard area to define so you GO girl!!

Today was High Reps. I wanted to do some cardio afterwards but my legs are tired from all the reps and low ends.

Hello fab ladies :)

I've been feeling a little "off" lately with regards to my exercise program :(. I really want to work on my overall strength, and I think I'm going about the wrong way :confused:. I still want to do my KCM Olympic Lifts and Paul K's Burn & Build...but not sure if I want to deviate from hypertrophy training to strength based (Nia Shank's program). I might have to re-evaluate my fitness goals.

My w/o today was KCM Split Session UB. My w/o yesterday was a 2hr outing with Bella at the park + STS M1 Legs (NO DOMS today :( ). TBH, I have not had any real good DOMS after I finished BB :(.

Heartymax
My back is actually very strong so I can train it heavy and hard. I have minimal fat there so the muscles really pop :eek:. Can't say the same for my LB :( -- but I'm gonna keep at it!
You've been killing it with your w/o this week :eek:. HR, CF, 40/20! Holy cow!

Jennifer
I got a foam roller! The only one they had at the sporting goods store was a 36inch -- big sucker! I tried some "moves" on it already and OUCH! The one for the IT band KILLS :eek:. Here is a good vid by my newly found "crush" Eliott Hulse from strengthcamp: How To Use A Foam Roller for Muscle Recovery - YouTube
Btw, that vid was from a few years ago. He looks totally different now. I think that vid was when he was doing his strongman competitions and had extra weight on him. Love his channel :eek:.
A friend from my other check-in actually got a standing workstation paid for by her company! I think she had to get a DR's note for it. Something to look into :).
Glad you liked the KCM w/o's! I'm amazed at how strong she is in her strength w/o's! I did look into her step boxing w/o's but decided to hold off on them for now :).

Hope everyone had a great day :)

I chose a premix from Low Impact Challenge today. I wanted to workout but not at a high intensity level like I have the last week. I haven't had a rest day so I don't want my body to be exhausted this weekend. I almost took a rest day then I decided that the LIC would be the perfect workout.

I love these new sports bras. They fit very well. Dang---it cost a lot to workout and be fit....but in the long run my health is priceless:D.

Good morning everyone! We got back yesterday evening from cub scout camp. This year we took our own tent and slept so much better than we did when we used the ones they provide. We did a ton of walking. We also spent an hour or so at the archery range and we went took out the boats several times. All in all, it was a lot of fun! The only bad thing is that it was sooooo hot!

Jennifer
Awesome review of the new workout....I love boxing workouts. That one sounds like a lot of fun.

Are you ready for the road trip?

HeartyMax
I bought some new sports bras too. I found some at Sam's club and they are super comfy. You're right though...exercise gear IS expensive.

I wouldn't worry about the road trip workouts. I read somewhere that someone said that they are easier than the DVDs so that everyone can do them without breaks. I'm sure you and Jennifer will be just fine!

Natasha
Thanks for the KCM reviews! Keep them coming!

I knew you wouldn't be too excited about a Sagi / Chalean combo. I'm more curious about what they have up their sleeves. :D

My back is my strong muscle group too! I usually hit failure due to my forearms before my back gives out.

All right, I better log in and get to work. Wednesday is my work from home day and I'm sure I have a ton of emails since I was off for two days. Have a great day everyone!

Hi all,
I said no UB for me howerver I did Burnsets. I thought it would loosen me up and I think it helped a little. I'm going to the chiro tomorrow.

Heartymax,
Nice job pushing through a workout and doing something that fit your need! Glad you like your new sports bras!

The glute workouts use weights and also (not necessarily bar-style) abductions (side and angled) using a cable attached to my door as well as cable rotations and hamstring push backs, clams (warm up), band walks (forward and back); variations of deep squats, elevated split lunges, back extensions and reverse extensions, deadlifts (single and double leg), and of course hip thrusts and single leg hip thrusts. All these exercises are split up; one day is single-leg stuff, another day is double-leg stuff. The glutes are very strong and (apparently) need more work - and definitely can take more work. It's also good to squeeze them when doing standing UB work;) I was amazed at the amount of extra stability it created. It has helped my lower back, too, doing all this glue work. Plus, it has worked my biceps from lifting heavy weights!

Stacie,
So glad the trip went well! Congrats on the new sports bras:D

Tash,
No DOMS? I know you work hard and alternate your workouts. Maybe add another day to LB?

I hope you get back on track soon. It is tough not knowing exactly what you want to accomplish; I think it can make working out hard. Maybe just stick to some things that you really enjoy and then the rest will fall into place.
BTW, congrats on a great looking back!

Awesome - glad you got a foam roller! I definitely will check out the video when I get a chance!

I have a physical scheduled for October and will see about getting a doctor's note for a standing desk. I think my company might approve it! Definitely want a tall chair so I can at least use my copy paper boxes yet take a seat when I need to without having to break it all back down:rolleyes:

I don't like to cut this short - I definitely could chat some more - but it's off to class I go. Bye for now, have a great night!

Heya ladies :cool:

I've decided that next week I will start Nia's Beginner Program from her training package called Beautiful Bad A$$ (3 total body w/o's focusing on the big compound lifts and body weight exercises like push-ups and chin-ups). Here is a link if anyone is curious:Beautiful Badass with GetDPD » Nia Shanks. I will be adding KCM LIFT/Burn & Build (rotating each week), plus 1 hiit workout/week. This will put me on a 5 days/week exercise rotation. I'm really excited because I have never really done anything like this before! Once again I will venture out of my comfort zone and see what my body and mind is capable of.

Jennifer
I'm craving simplicity in my exercise regime. I think that's why I've decided to do Nia's program after-all. You know how I was doing squats wrong before and had to pretty much start from scratch and train myself to do them correctly? Well it seems as though I've been doing the same with barbell chest presses :confused::(. My elbows were always flared a bit outwards, putting too much stress on my shoulder joint :(. Luckily Nia addresses this issue in her manual and suggests floor presses and push-ups instead. Bret is linked to a floor press video as well. It looks like the two of them are on the same page.
I wanted to say congratulations on all the results you are seeing in your LB! I think I already told you that, but I want to say it again :).

Stacie
Glad cub scout camp went well and you were able to get some better sleep this time. WTG on all the walking too! You know that's my fav form of exercise :). Archery and boating sounds like SO much fun! I can't wait to do those things with Bella :).

Have an awesome day ladies!

Today was the upper body premix of Burn Sets which includes everything for 90 minutes. Great workout but long. My train leaves at 10 tomorrow. I have to drop my son off for the FBI teen academy before then so I have to leave home around 6:30 to drive him there first. See you tomorrow Jennifer.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Good morning,
I skipped today so I could get to work early. It is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day - low 80s, low humidity, blue sky; it's perfect!

We'll take the dogs for a walk this afternoon and then I'll go to the chiro. Tonight we will have dinner on the patio for sure; grilled summer squash and grilled chicken. Did I mention how beautiful it is today?!

Tash,
I just watched the foam rolling link - it was awesome! I learned a couple new things that I am looking forward to doing, so thank you! The chest/bicep roll looks fantastic as well as the piriformis stretch! I ususally just roll over the glutes and the rest of the lower body and back but I never thought to add that piriformis stretch with the roller:cool:

I checked out Nia Shanks' badass program; it really sounds like a great addition to my weight lifting program! I plan to purchase it next month (you enabler, you! LOL!). It is only $34 and she definitely has a good reputation. I'm sure it will be very well worth it and then some. It's very cool that she and Bret are linked in their thinking! Now that I have my iPod/Speaker I definitely don't mind working out on my own.

I didn't think you were doing squats wrong, really, just not really maximizing their potential (same with me, by the way, as you remember). I'm glad you have it down now:D And I hear ya' on the flairing elbows... It is interesting how many people flair their elbows and I think that's why everyone else does it! I had to specifically stop doing it that way because of the arthritis and shoulder pain that I have, and I didn't actually learn that flairing elbows was wrong until a couple years ago - which is sad since I'm a personal trainer; it's just not something that anyone really mentions; we learn it wrong in PE when we were kids and it just sticks. It is SO nice to hear that Nia addresses that:cool: I am glad you are on track with it! You're going to rock the program;)

Thank you, I appreciate the koodos for my glute work:) I do still have more work to do but the results and progress have been great. My forearm strength and biceps (hence I really needed that chest/biceps foam rolling technique) have gotten stronger. By the way, I am doing Hip Thrusts from the floor now (in Bret's video last week or so); I do feel it much better when I keep my shoulders on the floor. Of course, it is a challenge to get the 70# barbell over me (hence the biceps and back!)

I best get and it will probably be the last time I get to check in for a few days. Stacie, Toni (I look forward to hearing about your vacation), TmJ, Tash - be safe and be healthy and enjoy your weekend!

Tasha--we are having a blast. So nice meeting Jennifer. Im exhausted and we have a long day ahead tomorrow. I will catch you next week. I will say Cathe is so amazing in person.

Hello ladies!

My w/o on Thurs was a Jessica Smith 40min walk/jog intervals (it's pretty tough!) + a visit to Bella's school and back (45min total there/back). I did the same walk on Wed, which was my rest day (no other w/o besides the walk). I want to get her accustomed to the route we will be taking and get her comfortable with the atmosphere of the school and it's surroundings. There are 2 playgrounds at the school, so I let her play at the park while there. In August, we have our official "meet & greet" with the teacher. This is happening WAY too fast!

The Nia Shank's program I will be doing is from Beautiful Bad A$$. Initially I had bought her 15 week Muscle Sculpting Program, and was going to do that, but received an email this week offering the other program (which has TONS of rotations/options) for only $10 for a limited time! I could not pass up the opportunity! Why I was drawn to this program is because there are 19 ROTATIONS and most of the exercises can be done at home, as opposed to the gym. There are also detailed video demonstrations of all the exercises, and appropriate substitutions if you are unable to perform a certain exercise. I'm starting out with the Beginner Program, which is very basic. I'm craving simplicity in my w/o's these days. My main goal is to get really good and strong with the basic compound lifts. There are no isolation exercises in these programs. NONE. But I can chose to add 10min of them (Nia calls them "beach work finishers") at the end of the w/o. I was able to get a pull up tower w/dip station for a really good price! So I'm good to go :eek:.

Jennifer & Heartymax
I saw both of you at the meet & greet! You guys both look awesome! That kickbox class looked like SO much fun!

Jennifer

Glad Elliott's vid was able to help you out :). OMG he is so HOT. I get lost in his eye's :eek:;).
I think you are going to like Nia's program's. I'm really drawn to her style/approach with health & fitness. I'm at the point in my life where I want to get out of my comfort zone and see what I'm really capable of. I think mastering the big, compound lifts, along with body weight exercises will most definitely do that for me. I want to be the gal who can squat and deadlift her body-weight :eek:.
Thanks for making me feel better about my squats and chest presses :eek:. It's hard to re-train the brain once you've been doing the same "mistake" for 3yrs. But hey, you live and you learn :). I actually feel humbled --which is always a good thing.

Bye bye for now ladies!

Hi all!! Got back from vacation last Friday, but didn't start working out until yesterday(my normal schedule). Yesterday I did Low Impact Challenge...well I did 30 minutes of it :eek: That fourth combo just threw me for a loop and I just said the heck with it and did Stretch Max 1. My body was feeling a little compressed and I wanted a good stretch. I'm still feeling a little compressed, which means I need to pull out my Lastics DVD. How can a stretching DVD have dread :confused:

Today I did Muscle Endurance. Holy heck my body was tired!! I started our strong, but by the time I got done with biceps I was starting to get tired. That workout really does a number on my forearms, which is EXACTLY what I need. I really feel like my forearms are holding back my bicep work. I may have to think about doing some add ons to help them out.

For the next 4-5 weeks, I will be doing 2 TB workouts, 2 HC, 4 cardio workouts. One day will be a HC/Cardio mix. My TB work will be one endurance lift and one heavy lift. I think I will stick with ME and MM for my TB workouts. I REALLY need to commit to stretching twice a week. That would be an evening workout. I think I will split Lastics up into two 30 minute workouts in the evening. We shall see.

My trip with Brandon was fabulous!! I was honestly a bit worried that he wouldn't like it. He's almost 13(in Sept) and that boy stays bored :mad: I was thinking he might be bored and whinny the entire trip, but he wasn't. I really think he appreciated the 1-1 time with me and he made the best of even things that weren't the funniest. I really enjoyed the trip with him. We went the the San Antonio Zoo one day and somehow after that trip I was talked into getting a Gecko :eek::eek::eek: Once I agreed to the Gecko, Brandon would randomly say 'hey Mom guess what....I'm getting a lizard' and then he would smile. He simply cannot contain himself with joy over that :cool: We have the tank, but still need to finish setting it up before we get the Gecko. Based on schedule we will probably get it next Monday.

One more piece of good news. My husband is moving back in :cool: I do not have enough words to express my joy over this :D Just the small amount of counseling has gotten us to a 'workable' state. Which is all I needed. I don't mind family problems. They come with life. I just can't deal with standing still and pretending like they don't exists.

Tasha
Glad to see you've picked a rotation that you like. I also get confused about my goals and what I SHOULD be doing vs what I want. There are just so many options and so many goals. And it really isn't possible to work on all of them at once, even though I REALLY want to. And then I get confused about which ones to work on first. I know I need and want more muscle endurance, but I also want the benefits of a heavy lift. Which do I do first or do I do them both??? :confused: I have just decided to keep doing SOMETHING. Over time I've learned a lot about how different programs affect my body, which is nice when putting together future rotations. I still always have some doubt when doing it, but hey at least I'm still working out right?? :cool:

Stacie
Seems you are super busy right now!! Hope all is well and look forward to when you can post steady again :D

HeartyMax & Jennifer
I hope the RT went well. Please report back and tell us everything!!

Hi!
My workouts for the weekend were the same as Heartymax's (but 2 classes were in reversed order since we were in two different groups):

Friday was cardio kickboxing and a stretch class.

Saturday was an hour of step, followed by 40 minutes of spinning, followed by 40 minutes of bootcamp (mostly running), followed by lunch and another hour of a break, followed by an hour of Body Sculpting (weights/bands/firewalker loops/ pushups-situps combo), and another stretch class!:eek: The day was Awesome!

Sunday was a nice cardio-boxing workout and everyone who wanted to share a favorite move lead the class in a move. It was a tough and fantastic class!

So as you can see I have been slacking, KIDDING!:D

I bought STS meso2 with the RT discount while I was there! I thought I'd start it today but I was very tired - and surprisingly not too sore - so I thought I'd start it tomorrow! I'm so excited!

Thank you all for the RT well wishes! We had such a great time! Cathe really is an incredible woman. So warm and friendly, talented of course, she makes everyone feel appreciated, and she is funny! I really want to go every year. I met some wonderful women and hope to see them again next year!
I hope to meet you all there:) BTW, the food was SO good!

Tash,
Your program sounds awesome! I am looking forward to checking it out. I met a girl who really likes KCM's Lift but she hadn't tried the Olympic lift *yet*. Wish I could remember her name so I could tell you who she is:eek: Anyway, I told her about you and how you enjoyed both of those workouts.

That is a great idea to start walking the route for school! You are doing a great job planning for all of it. I'll look forward to hearing about the meet and greet!

Toni,
I am SO happy for you; great news about your husband!
Congrats on the new family addition:D Lizards really are cool. How cool that your son is so happy about it:cool: I've only had a turtle but it's a reptile and he was very social and loved to be petted:)

Glad you had a great vaca, too!

Stacie,
Definitely sounds like you have a lot going on. I hope all is well and I'm looking forward to catching up with you!

Heartymax,
Are you sore? I'm not too bad and I am surprised! Someone posted that she is doing "laundry max" today:D LOL! Oh, please dont' forget to send me the Who's Who link; I would love to catch up with more people from the RT.

I'm at work so I best get - have an awesome day!

I had an absolutely awesome time at the Road Trip!!! It was so great being around people who share a love for Cathe workouts. To top it off, I had a chance to meet Jennifer which was really great. Meeting Cathe in person was an amazing experience. She is so patient as she talks to all her fans. She gives you the time that you need to ask questions and has a genuine interests. I had several opportunities to take pictures with Cathe. I must admit that I never thought I would be able to do 8 workouts in 36 hours but let me tell you---The adrenaline was in effect and I had an amazing time. Saturday was really tough. We had a 60 minute step class followed by 40 minutes of bootcamp and then 40 minutes of spinning. There were two groups who rotated for bootcamp and spinning and Jennifer and I were in separate groups. I had never done spinning before but I made it through the class. I wasn't tried to impress anyone by having standing most of the time...I just wanted to finish which I did. It felt really great to accomplish that. I think the workouts difficulty level varies and spaced out well enough to allow us to get through all of them. There were 5 workouts on Saturday so it was the toughest day. There was also a zumba class that night for those who were interested and I was not but I did stop by to listen to the music and watch for a minute.

Amanda is absolutely gorgeous is person. Jai arrived shortly before I left on Sunday so I didn't get any pics with her. Ceidi is as cute as we already know. The food was really good. Cathe made sure we had plenty of healthy protein and carbs to keep us going.

It was really nice having Jennifer there because I felt like I already had a friend attending. We connected with a few other ladies and sat with them most of the time we were there. Attending a roadtrip is something I wish everyone had a chance to do. It is evident that some people have groups formed already due to attending other trips, but that is expected to a degree. I have to say that the positives outweigh the negatives and I know for a fact that I would want to do it again. It was so AWESOME! If you have a specific question, I will try to answer it.

The workouts are still online. I have on the white "halter tube top" and dark khahi shorts at the meet and greet. Jennifer and I got a good spot for class 6 video so definitely check out that footage if you can. We are a couple rows over to the right (on the computer screen) from Cathe. I have on black shorts and a pink top with white on the side. Jennifer has on navy capri's and match top next to me. There is some footage of us in the step class as well but this one has the best footage I think.

I will try to add some pics to the album. Hopefully it works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.