Push It January 2014

Day 2 of the "Staycation": Getting ready to go hike at our favorite state park to prep for our upcoming Shenandoah trip. Yesterday we avoided all parks (too crowded!) and walked for a few hours on a gorgeous Green-way (where my boss had a River Birch tree planted alongside the river to honor my brother's memory). It was brutally hot and humid! Came home and did the Total Body Express premix of LIS TBT. When we get back from hiking today I'll do the rear delt segment from XT Legs and focus on abs and STRETCHING!!!! We're going to try to hike everyday we can weather permitting before the weekend.

Jennifer, I agree about doing something everyday; it just keeps me in the habit of scheduling that time for my fitness. Sounds like you have found a good balance for yourself!

Heartymax, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! 46 is a great age ;)! Have you picked a fitness challenge for this year? Every year I pick something to work on: push-ups, etc. (This year is The Crow Pose)....

Toni & Tasha, sending out a big hello to you both! Hope you had a great weekend and are gearing up for some autumn weather!

Took a couple of days off because my right calf was aching. Not sure why but it is better so I finished elliptical cardio, walking lunges and planks and pushups this morning.

Nancy- I am trying to make sure I stay as consistent as possible with my workouts. I want to focus on my abs because once I turned 45 I realized that my midsection needs more attention so I have to pay more attention to my eating. I don't think my eating is that bad but I have to cut back more than a few years ago.

Day 5 of Staycation:
HIKING HIKING HIKING!!!! We have hiked the last 3 days in a row for at least 4 hours per day and I am feeling it! Yesterday I did XT C,B,S when we came home. On Wednesday it was XT B&T + Core#2. My legs are getting a great workout with the hiking but I still plan on hitting them with Cathe either today or tomorrow. I am getting some good cardio blasts on the the inclines, but I feel a HIIT workout is coming in my near future ;).
It has been great to get away from work and immerse myself in the woods. I should have been a ranger!
Well, gotta get ready for another day on the trails! Thank goodness Cathe has been keeping me in condition for this! :p

Hi ladies,
Hope all is well with everyone!
Today was my first time ever doing S&H Triceps and Biceps even though I've had that series for a long time. I LOVE how Cathe has us do wrist curls and revers wrist curls. That will help my grip strength tremendously which will absolutely help me with pull-ups; everything's connected.

I'm still enjoy PiYo, Strong Curves glutes, and last week I did Great Glutes (ball and floor work only), X10 Step, Intensity Step, Burnsets (C/Ba/S/Bi), To The Max (no core but added on Low Impact disc section), and S&H Back.

Hi Nancy,
Sounds like you're having an incredibly fantabulous time! There is still time for a career change. Or maybe just an early retirement from your current job before transitioning to a Ranger :)

Looking forward to some pictures and more adventurous stories. Any bears or anything?

Sometimes a HiiT workout is just what the doctor ordered :D

Heartymax,
Glad your calf is feeling better but I wonder what was up with it.

As for your midsection, I completely understand. Seriously, try adding some Kombucha daily; it really helps. I know how busy your are and if it's only you drinking it then you can probably afford to buy a few bottles a week instead of having to make it -- although that's easy it can take more time to make than what you are willing to give it. The bottles are 16oz in size and you only need 8oz day before a meal (whichever one works -- I have it before lunch). I can't explain all the science behind it but I bet you'll notice a difference within a couple weeks.

Have a great day!

Jennifer--I have never heard of Kombuncha. I have to check out the price tag...If it helps I can close my eyes to the cost....LOL.

I haven't been on a run in a while but enjoying my workouts. Still doing Meso 2 but not on a strict schedule. I do love hypertrophy.

This has been a tough week. I woke Sunday morning to hear on the news that two young children had been murdered. Later that day they identified the mother as the suspect who was a student at one of my schools years ago. I am FB with former students and colleagues and this has been such a tragedy that leaves all of us heartbroken. The news shares she was recently hospitalized for suicide thoughts last week and was released. Days later she confesses to killing her two small children. Mental illness is real in our society. I don't know what was going on but to think could something have been done to protect those innocent children.

The next day my husband finds out one of his dearest college friends and fraternity brother died of heart attack while running. DH was just devastated. His friend was such a servant and gave so much to the community working with elderly, prisons, youth. He was just a great guy. He visited with us a few years ago and DH saw him again this summer for a fraternity conference. DH leaves for Tennessee to attend the funeral.

Heartymax,
I am just so sorry to hear what you and DH have been going through. Absolutely devastating. His friend sounds like an amazing man. Praying for strength for you both.
Kombucha is now offered at one of our local grocery stores in the Produce section; it used to be only health food stores and Whole Foods. The history of it is incredible, really.
I hope Peace finds you both soon.
((hugs)).

Heartymax,
Hoping that you and DH can find some relief from the grief. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of such a selfless young man. Peace.

Just got back form Shenandoah yesterday. What a great hiking trip! I tackled the Old Rag Trail on Wednesday...scariest and most fitness challenging hike of my life! I really am not a fan of rock scrambles, and this one has a VERY tough one! Check out my "Hiking" folder for pictures....
Still on vacation until Thursday...more local hiking to come!
(Yesterday I did Travel Fit in keeping with the vacation mode)

Tried to add pictures to my Hiking Album, but they are too big...need to re-size and try again later

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words. DH made it back from attending the funeral in Nashville. He said there were about 800 people in attendance for the service. I guess that's a testament to the lives his friend touched.

Nancy---sounds like you are enjoying the hiking adventure. You have been doing some kick butt workouts so you are in good shape and well prepared. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Today was Insanity Pure Cardio. ..and planks.

Last edited:
Hi ladies,
All is well here; nothing out of the ordinary to talk about. I may or may not have mentioned that I cracked my S&H DVD! Must have been those wrist curls and reverse wrist curls that gave me brute strength taking the DVD out of the case :confused: I should get my new DVDs today. I went ahead and reordered the ones I gave my PT since she liked them and decided to keep them (which was totally fine, and she paid me for them). So -- in addition to my S&H replacement I'm also re-getting Travel Fit and Cardio Core Circuit. They should arrive today :cool:

I'm still enjoying PiYo and Strong Curves. What's especially great about PiYo is that I'm learning new routines... I have subbed a PiYo class many times but since I've never been able to do PiYo I've always filled in with Pilates. The ladies don't complain; they appreciate something rather than nothing.

Turns out I had to sub this past Thursday and I was able to do the first half-hour of actual PiYo work! It didn't go super smoothly but they seemed to like it and since I've been doing a lot of PiYo lately I was glad to give them some PiYo (which is really nothing like Pilates and only has some Yoga sequences minus the holding-the-poses stuff).

Nancy,
Glad you still get to enjoy some more vacation :)

Ditto what Heartymax said! I'm looking forward to checking out your albums. Changing the pixels/size of the pics is something I've been struggling with; I've been trying to change my profile picture. I'm not very tech-savy so it is taking more time to figure out than what I want to actually spend my time doing. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing your pictures. The Rock scramble sounds interesting and tough!

Heartymax,
Wow, 800 people - that is absolutely a testament to his life. I'm glad DH made it home safely. I also am hoping that you and your fellow colleagues are doing okay regarding the mother and former student.

I hope the kids are enjoying school and doing well.

Take care everyone, and have a great day!

Recovering

Hello all!! I wanted to drop in and say that I had my surgery last Thursday and I'm home now and doing well. I have some pain still. It's not terrible and I would describe it more as soreness than pain. I'm hoping to stop taking my pain meds in two days. If I can move the same without pain meds, I'll stay off of them.

My uterus was HUGE!!! The doc sent me a pic of it and he said it probably weighed 5 lbs :eek::eek::eek: Very stubborn an unwise of me to have waited for so long!!

I see everyone is killing it with their workouts :cool: I'm not sure when I will be able to workout again(most likely the 6 week mark), but I'm looking forward to it. Definitely going to start with walking and work my way up from there.

HeartyMax - so sorry to hear about your loss. That is so heartbreaking. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Toni! I was just thinking about you TODAY and figuring that you must have had your surgery by now and was planning to drop you a note! So glad you wrote and are doing well. Walking is great and you'll heal quickly. Looking forward to hearing more from you :)

Hi Toni. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Take it easy. Walking is always a good option to ease back in to things when it is time.

Jennifer--a read an article recently by a parent of another student. She wrote about raising her kids in the same neighborhood and walking down the same hallway at school. The article expressed the pain of the community as well as the hurt for the parents of the young mother and talked about the unknown answeres questions of depression and mental health.

My right leg is hurting. ..different than what I felt a couple of weeks ago. I feel pain on the right outside of my shin area. I worked out yesterday after taking 4 days off due to my busy schedule so I don't know where this is coming from. It was already hurting yesterday morning but I worked out anyway but kept Intensity lower if that's possible with Insanity. Anyway, I have to stay off this leg. I hope it's not anything major that requires medical attention. I will go see doctor if it's not better from rest.

Heartymax, have you been stretching? the feet, calves, shins, knees, IT band, and hips - they all are connected and if not can produce and radiate pain to areas. Down dog (use a block or risers or something) or a really good calf stretch, the pigeon, and quad stretch. I hope that's all you need and feel betters soon!

Thanks Jennifer. My colleague think my calf muscles are stronger than my shins creating this pain. She suggested a few exercises for me to do....walk on my heels in the evening and do some feet exercises as well as stretch. You already know that I don't stretch as much as I should. I usually do a few minutes only. Interesting that you mention how they are all connected because I have felt some hip pain lately too. I thought I was just getting old.

Heartymax,
Since connective tissue contracts when working it is so important to stretch them. They lose elasticity as we age which is why stretching is even more important as we age so the joints aren't hindered by tight tissue.
Everyone's shins muscles are stronger than their calves unless someone is actively strengthening his/her anterior tibialis. Shin exercises will help prevent shin pain, and it is true that muscle imbalances can cause pain. Since your pain is traveling to your hip to me it sounds like more focus on those certain stretches and a massage to rub out some knots that you might have are in order; a lot of chiropractor offices have a massage therapist on staff. It'd be better to go there than to a massage-chain place like Massage Envy.
For me, I stretch a lot and the calf and hip on my right side still act up because I wear a little lift insert on that side to elevates my heal (hence, calf) so my calf works harder than the other side therefore is more tight -- but the lift balances my hips (the little scoliosis I have is why my hips are uneven). Notice the tightness runs all the way up to my hip, though.
Strengthening shins is always a good idea but quite honestly I'd spend more time stretching. Whatever works so try it all :) You're healthy and in great shape; pain is not always just something that happens as we age and you don't have to accept that!
Have a good day!

Thanks so much for the "im gonna kick your butt if you dont start stretching more" speech. You are also wondering how many times you are going to have to tell me this. ..LOL. I was doing the funny deep squat stretches then I stopped. I know I need to commit.

Heartymax,
LOL! Seriously! You crack me up :)
Make a deal with yourself -- buck up for a 75-minute massage and then promise yourself that you'll do the calf, pigeon, and funny deep squat for 30 seconds each after every workout.

Nancy,
Is this your last day of vacation?

Toni,
How are you doing?

Stacie and Tasha, thinking about you both.

Have a great day!

Popping in to report my workout was a very short 5 minute walk. It felt good to get out the house. I'm going to the doc tomorrow, so that will be some more time out the house. I also read somewhere I can stretch, so I might do some of that tomorrow also. Just gentle stretches though. It should feel good. My body feels very compressed some the positions I sit in.

Good morning,
I did Sleep max today; 2nd day this week I skipped a workout but at least I was somewhat active on one of those days. And I am walking the neighborhood with my neighbor tonight so that will get me out and about. I'm just slacking on my glute work this week and I know it will be okay; sometimes other things just take priority.

Happy last weekend of officially being Summer. It's supposed to be beautiful outside. I'm hoping to read this weekend; I have 3 books on my Kindle and 2 magazines plus of course my Bible. We're having lunch with friends Sunday. I have GOT to clean. No plans other than that.

Toni,
Glad to hear it! Sending strong vibes your way :)

Heartymax,
I just thought of something else... notice that the calves' muscles are much larger than the tibialis anterior so they naturally will be stronger. And guess what, I'm having upper-calves cramps! Must be something in the water!

Have a great weekend in case I don't log in before it's over -- and have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.