Progress, not Perfection - 2012 - Month #1

Sounds great, Stacy, I am looking forward to BC, and won't feel guilty if I do legs w/ no wt. I'm a little hobbley today.

So far carbs are 108 and I came in a little low on the fruit veggies at 5 svgs (2 tangerines, mixed thawed frozen fruit, one small potatoe and half the avocado. We just made roasted broc and garlic but I hit the door hungry and ate leftovers and nuked the small potato and had it with the last of the leftovers. BB for coffee...

Good morning, FINALLY a day off, the weekend was hellacious!!!

I had some diet unfriendly food last night (mainly popcorn) but overall did eat more veggies yesterday than I have in awhile. We had a little get together last night with a few friends to watch the college bowl games. Hubby bought hot dogs but I had him get me whatever he could in the way of a "healthy" turkey hot dog/brat equivalent. He got turkey Polish keilbasa which wasnt too bad actually 100 cals, 2 WW points. So I diced that up and sauteed it in a pan with red peppers and skipped the bun. It was good and filling, had 2 of them so dinner was 200 cals + the red peppers (4 WW points), the brat bun if I would have had it was 180 cals alone and the normal hot dog hubby bought was 190 cals. So I saved alot of cals there. I may actually buy more of the turkey keilbasa and take it in my lunch with veggies for something different for awhile. It is processed still but I can only eat tuna and/or chicken so long before I'm sick of it!

I have lost 1.4 lbs in 2 days, I know it's water weight, but like you Susan, always good to see things headed in the right direction.

I want to give some serious thought to what direction I want my workouts to go in, tho I did say Gym Styles, I'm going to peruse my collection and see what strikes my fancy. I dont want to workout for the sake of working out, I want to do something with an overall goal. I have narrowed that down to reshaping my lower body, just have to be careful of my knee which in the past has always given me a setback whenever I have embarked on this goal, but I didnt have barre workouts then. I dont want to lose my upper body gains in the process and the light weight work in barre doesnt seem to be enough to maintain my upper body muscle/strength.

My other goal is to actually do some of the workouts I have bought over the years but still havent ever done!!

Well I'm going to putter around the house a bit, bbl!

Good morning !!!

I'm late getting going this morning.

Stacy - Yea for a day off !!!! Enjoy !!!

FnV - I came in at right around 100 carbs both Sunday and Monday. That's doing either a banana or a potato (but not both) each day, 2 fruits and the rest non-starchy veggies. I'm not counting calories or fat grams or anything else. I just eat protein, fat and veggies until I'm full, while keeping the carb grams between 75 and 100.

I never got to Pure Strength yesterday... long story.... but I'm headed downstairs to do it now... then I may go to the gym this afternoon and do a little treadmill to get back on schedule... lol

It's cold here in NC.. only 25 this morning and afternoon high forecast to be only 35. I'm from Long Island/New England originally, so I grew up with very cold winters.. but have been in NC for 21 years, so I've adapted to this weather. So now 25 degrees is bone chilling.. lol

Make it a great day my friends !!!

We CAN do this...we ARE doing this !!

Message for the day, you cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet. I did some late eve carb loading yesterday. : (

Boot Camp was fun and done, PUB tomorrow I think or CW.

Stacy, good job on your food choices, veggies and scale! Enjoy your day off. It sounds like you and dh have a nice time together even if he does have a penchant for mms, lol.

Susan, i am trying to do the same thing, but for me, I need to say veggies, protein, and incidental fat. Obviously, still not doing it consistently.

Deanna, how's it going there out west?

ttyl

Ok, is it odd that I just found grocery shopping relaxing?? It was nice just to be out of the house and not getting called/paged from work!! I stocked up on some good foods and I'm making one of my infamous pot of soups for dinner. I love making soup!

The soup should hit the spot b/c it's cold and windy here too! 19 degrees right now with a high of 23, light dusting of snow on the ground, just enough to cover the ground and look pretty but not to make the roads wet or mushy. I'm planning on a soup of chicken breast, chicken stock, leeks, celery, fresh parsley, and about 3/4 cup of rice. If it were just me I'd leave out the rice, but hubby likes soup with a little more substance which usually means pasta, rice or potatoes, so I opted for rice. I like using the leafy part of the top of the celery stalk too for color and flavor.

I'm going to enjoy another cup of coffee to warm up after the grocery trip, do a little reading and then will workout before I make dinner!

Hello Ladies, I am at work today feeling a little better. I made an appointment with the Doctor for Thursday 1.5.12 @ 8:30am. I am taking Thursday and Friday off work. The job does not know that yet, I am going to give them my time off request tomorrow. :) This will give me time to rest and allow the medicine to work.

Deanna

PS: I could not wait until Thursday to go to the doctor, I left work early and found another doctor. I requested a shot of antibiotics, and was also given cough medicine with codeine and a Z-Pack. My head was hurting sooooo bad today I could not take it. So as long as I am feeling better I will be at work the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Oh {{{Deanna}}} sorry about the sinus and headache and all. I am glad you found a doc and hopefully will be on your way to feeling better soon.

Stacy, how did the soup turn out? I'd like to make a pot of chicken soup from scratch (I've seen it done before using a real whole chicken, but never attempted it)

I'm reading more PB- I think I will get some fresh beets to roast, I love those. I like Mark's writing and preaching style.

I'm up to 7 svg of veg/fruit (broc, cauliflower, tangerine, avocado, spinach, sprouts, grape tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, a few snow peas) and 57 g carb.

Susan, did you get to PS or did life creep up on you again? I prefer to work out mid morn, but it would be more efficient if I did it w/i half hour of waking up.

Y'all have a good night

Good morning my friends !!

{{{{{{{{ Deanna}}}}}}}}} You've been fighting this cold for so long. I'm glad you got to the doctor and got some meds. Hopefully that will do the trick. Hang in there... This will end !!!

Stacy - sounds like you had a very relaxing day off !! Fantastic. Is it back to work today or do you get another day off???

FnV - You go girl !!! You are hitting those workouts like a pro. You are inspiring me !!! I did do Pure Strength - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps yesterday. I didn't get to it til mid-afternoon, but I did it. and.. I loved it. So funny to see Cathe with short curly hair... she looks adorable. And Cedie looks so young. Today should be another weight workout on my schedule... one of the other two Pure Strength... but I'm thinking I'll do cardio today.. then do the other two PS Thursday and Saturday...

I did 99.4 carb grams yesterday :p Just under my 100 gram goal.. whew..

However.. I learned something... I can't eat white potatoes. I've been using them (home fries in olive oil) as a substitute for my bread, crackers, etc. and I find that they activate my carb cravings rather than satisfying them.

Unlike sweet potatoes and white rice which don't activate the cravings. So... out with white potatoes..

Also.. the white potatoes were crowding out my good colorful veggies and I was heading towards a meat and potatoes and fruit thing with hardly any good veggies. So.. back to meat, veggies and fruit and healthy fats... and a sweet potato every other day... and white rice once in a while...

Interesting thread over in the forums at Mark's Daily Apple. Someone asked if you could do a vegetarian version of Primal. A couple of people responded saying no. But a couple of people said that you can... if you eat dairy, eggs and fish as your protein..... but one would have to be rigid about getting enough protein a la the Primal program.

Also.... Mark posted (in his blog) that they have just released a new updated and revised edition of The Primal Blueprint. I'm wondering if I need that since I already have the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Plan... hmmmmmm.... shall ponder that...

FnV - I agree. I much prefer Mark's writing style and attitude over Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution and Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly... however.. still hitting the middle of the road on the saturated fat question... halfway between Mark's all out eat saturated fat and Robb Wolf's lean protein.

Okay.. off to eat a Paleo breakfast... digest a little and head to the gym..

later..

Make it a great day my friends !!!

Progress, not Perfection :D

PUB done. I started a little too heavy with wts and felt like Arnold 15 min into the workout, lol. Also, that workout has core on the stability ball including pikes and I'm still working up to doing those fult tilt boogie. But in the meantime, I was so impressed with my pre-planning on PUB that I took pic of my area and changed my avatar, lol.

Susan, I hear ya on the potato. In order for a variety plants to be the bottom largest portion of my pyramid I have to make a conscious effort to eat them all day long. Force being the key word in the beginning because, honestly, I will have to Fake it until I Mean it. : ) But don't worry, I have faith...

Yet while plants are at the bottom of the pyramid, the majority of calories will still come from fat and protein at the next layer. To me, that is the Primal change and where I have to shift my thinking from guilt of meat and fat to guilt of grains and sugar!

Susan, I'm glad you liked PS. I look forward to doing them, too and am disappointed to not be doing them with you, even tho I am enjoying the simplicity and fun of Intensity. I love seeing the crew at different times and like the older workouts just as much as the newer ones. I swear that Jai looks more like a teenager the older she gets!

Stacy, did you decide what to do for rotation? What length? Working today or off?

Ms Deedee, did you go in to work today? My mom came to my house for dinner on Christmas, caught my dad (her ex) cold and is still sick today.

I am back to school and work tomorrow~

I hope everyone is having a good day

OMG !!!!

I can't believe it.... I am psyched... totally psyched... lol

Cathe had a chat from 12:30 to 1:30 in the Open Discussion forum.

Here... read the whole thread please !!!

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/check-right-here-12-30-today-287367/

Cathe gave me a personal 4-week rotation to do.....

I am sooooo psyched.....

I am going to start Monday morning. Anyone want to join me???

I haven't studied every line yet... I'm going to print it out and go sit down and really look at it line by line.

But had to come tell my buddies....

Okay.. this is going to give me a real boost

Last edited:
Hi everyone, never got around to posting again last night, but yesterday I did 3 miles mostly walking on the treadmill and then abs from Ab Circuits.

I still havent figured out a rotation yet, yesterday nothing sounded appealing, so taking it day by day right now, but plan on giving it more thought this weekend.

Susan...how exciting that Cathe replied to your question!! I looked over the rotation she suggested, I dont have alot of the newer workouts and with my work schedule I usually cant do 6 workouts a week, or else I'd love to join you!

Deanna...enjoy the much needed rest and days off to get healthy!!

Fnv...the soup turned out great!

Today my eating was about "80%" PB.

B--almonds, banana
L--low carb yogurt (all I had time for at work...I did avoid the cookies someone brought in though!)
D--left over soup with a side of raw carrots and celery and dip
S--the bad 20%....had 3 Godiva chocolates, they were all dark chocolate...there's gotta be some sort of health benefit there??!!! ;)

No workout today, on my feet all day at work and doing some work from home tonight. I hope to do weights before I leave for work tomorrow, maybe PUB. FnV...I cant do the pikes either!!

Hi Stacy !!!

You did great on the food today.... and the 3 miles on the treadmill + abs yesterday.

The Primal Blueprint says that dark chocolate is an "approved" treat.... perfectly fine as long as you don't eat it all day long :)

and you balanced it with your healthy food... especially your soup... you are our group's soup queen !!!

I understand about your work schedule... I don't know how you get as many workouts done as you do with that crazy schedule.

Did you notice that Cathe said in the rotation that she gave me.. High Reps (or buy Muscle Endurance). hmmmmmm..... Do you have Muscle Endurance? What do you think of that vs High Reps (which I already own)

I did my 3 miles on the treadmill this morning... off to get some Primal dinner. I think it's going to be a plain hamburger patty... a box of frozen chopped spinach with butter and lemon on it and a little FF yogurt with some blueberries for dessert !!!

something easy... I don't feel like any complicated cooking tonight...

Deanna - how are the meds working???? We need to get you healthy !!

FnV - sorry to hear that you have to go back to work and school tomorrow. What's on the class schedule for this semester? Hopefully you are finished with statistics !!

Yay, Susan, I am so excited for you, I viewed the thread earlier today, but she hadn't answered yet, off to dance, will check back in later - I'm looking forward to seeing what she put out there!

Stacy, Primal considers dark (more than 70percent?) chocolate a sensible indulgence. Sensible as in all sensible people would indulge or please indulge sensibly IDK, but either way you are good, ha ha.

Hi Deanna!

OK, bbl, off to shimmy and shake

Susan...I have Muscle Endurance and I think it's a tad less intense than High Reps but more of a fun factor. I think it has high step work for a few leg exercises which I cant do so I like the leg work from High Reps better. Cathe seems more fun and relaxed in ME. I know FnV had the Bootcamp/ME dvd, maybe she has done ME and has some tidbits of info she can offer to you as well!

The dinner actually sounds great Susan!

G'nite everyone! Maybe I'll do ME tomorrow before work morning!

Good night Stacy !! I'm heading off to bed too.. with hopes of an early start tomorrow.

Maybe I'll order Muscle Endurance instead of Power Hour/MIS/Body Max....hmmmmmmmm..... I really can't afford to buy both.....

See y'all for coffee in the morning. I just previewed Turbo Barre. Yikes... she's gonna kill me on the 1st day.... lol

FnV - hope you shook 'em at dance class !!!

We CAN do this... we ARE doing this.... and we're having fun while we're doing it !!!

Go Team !!!

Progress, not Perfection :p

Susan, you are gonna get in there and start swinging, what a great jumpstart to the newyear. I am open to joining you if you want a buddy, but it will be my first time really sticking w/ a rotation. It looks great and we need to get those new dvd's broken in.

Why are you considering ME? I last did it Dec 20 according to WM and can't give you a very informed opinion at this time. I will do it on Fri Sat or Sun this week as part of Intensity and will let you know. I do know that my legs are stiff from PLB on Mon.

Stacy, did you ask me about dance a while back? i've been taking bellydance classes for 5 years. Sometimes I get to perform and I was teaching beginner classes, too. Its just so much fun and works my fitness and brain in a different way. You don't have to be perfect, just have fun and enjoy the music. We got a Wii for holiday, I am considering getting some zumba for it...or I saw an Abba dance activity. : D

I came home and fixed some broc and cauliflower and threw a little butter on it so I could get all my plants in...apple, peppers+snow peas+broc stir fry in coconut oil, produce dept salsa and 1/2 avocado, watermelon and strawberries combo and the broc/cauli. Carbs at 91. I am tracking on fit day.

Deanna, how are you feeling this eve?

It was cold enough to turn the heat on this morning but by 2 I was driving around w/ the sun roof open and windows down. Yes!

G'morn~ completed CW step only pm- fun 30 min but I had pretty low energy this morn.

Protein shake blended w/ half a frozen banana and half cup of blueberries. Shower time

Morning Ladies

I am starting to feel much better, I knew the antibiotics would help. I am not going to work today, felt I needed a day off. I am going to take my meds fix myself something to eat and get back in the bed. Hopefully this Sinus Infection will be gone by the weekend and I can start exercising again.

Deanna

Good morning !!!

I've been roaming around the Internet while drinking my coffee... lol... so... I'm late again..

FnV - I'd love to have you do the new rotation with me !!!!

I mentioned ME because in the rotation Cathe put High Reps but in parentheses she said "or ME if you can buy it.. you'll love it" or words to that effect. Which sounds to me like she thinks I'll like ME much better than High Reps... and.. you know.. any excuse to buy another DVD... lol

Anyway... I went ahead and ordered it this morning... and some firewalker loops because they use those in Turbo Barre... and both were 12% off and free shipping... sooo.... :p

Deanna !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such good news !!!!!!! You are on the road to a complete recovery.........

I'm off to weigh myself, then do PS - Back and Biceps .. or whatever it's called.. lol

more later..

Make it a great day !!!

Deanna - I need your daily water reminders !!! It really does remind me.. and.. I'm finding that on the days when I do drink enough water.. that the water in combo with the Primal diet makes me not even think about snacking.

Last edited:
OK, I reread some of the thread, gotcha on ME- hell yeah, a direct suggestion from Cathe for a DVD, I'd put it in my cart for sure. I want the firewalker bands, but haven't justified them yet, I am still using regular band tied into a loop like in BG. But they will prob go in with my next order.

So 2 things I want to look at today from reading checkins--abs from ab circuits (thanks Stacy) and step cardio 20 min from cardio SS and look at the rotation more closely and make sure I don't have any blocks.

First day back to work was short and my speech class starts on Mon. Yep, all done w/ stats, one of the more difficult A's I've earned- physics was the other one, but both classes I would actually like to take again. Sorta the way I enjoy DOMS. What a sicko, eh?

Salmon in the oven to bake, tangerine and nuts for snack. I wonder if my fruity breakfast was why I was hungry at 1130 today. I'm up to 43 carbs. only about 5 hours of sleep, that is a set up...plus a cardio workout before breakie. Many factors.

Susan, I've been thinking about cocktail sauce, lol. I couldn't find one that didn't have sugar or high fructose corn syrup as the first or second ingredient and I'd have a hard time just having a mere Tablespoon if I were having it with my shrimpers, so I bought some horseradish and low sugar ketchup to make my own. The low sugar ketchup has virtually no carbs and is made w/ sucralose which I don't know very much about...so wondering primal point of view on stevia, sucralose or other types of things we use to replace sugar. I will let you know how it turns out. Did you try your coconut oil yet?

Deanna is feeling better? Check and Yea! Enjoy blanket max. : )

Stacy did you get any wts in this morn? If I worked as many hours as you do, I would definitely have to make my workouts fit into my life, not make my life fit into my workouts, which prob is not a very successful recipe.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.