Please don't get upset about my rant.

"...because I truly think we're heading towards becoming a two-language country, like it is in Quebec."

Just wanted to clarify that Quebec isn't a country. It's a French-speaking province in the country of Canada. Canada is bilingual:)

>"...because I truly think we're heading towards becoming a
>two-language country, like it is in Quebec."
>
>Just wanted to clarify that Quebec isn't a country. It's a
>French-speaking province in the country of Canada. Canada is
>bilingual:)
>

Hey Shell, I went to college with a girl from Canada, maybe you know her, she had brown hair? ;) Ok, you can slap me now. Actually I dated a guy from there in college and he used to get so frustrated when people asked him who his President was. ;)

I can see both sides of the issue. I've been terribly frustrated trying to understand customer support personnel on the phone and often wondered, WHY DO THEY DO THIS?? But then again, part of me feels as though it would be so wonderful if our country could be bilingual. Other countries speak a multitude of languages. Why should we be so one-dimensional? Instead of griping about how they live here and should speak "our" language, maybe try to be part of the solution and teach them. Volunteer with ESL programs in your community. And in the process learn their language. It won't make you less American to know another language. I say all of this very hypocritically because I speak Spanish but haven't used it since college. I should definitely get involved in such programs. As someone who spent years trying to learn another language, it can be very hard and very intimidating. It's not something that happens over night. It takes patience from both sides.

Actually, I have volunteered to teach ESL at my local Y in the past. Right now, scheduling conflicts make it impossible to do. Maybe once my dc are older, we can do it together as a family.

The problem with making our country bilingual is that we're so PC in this country. If that happened, it wouldn't shock me to see the ACLU be up in arms because this language or that language wasn't also mandatory.

Wendy

The United States has no official language.

English is the number one language spoken and used primarily for business. Spanish is the second most commonly used language.

Statics show that by 2020, that Spanish will be the number one language spoken in the United States.

Are we will willing to learn the dominant language spoken in this country if Spanish becomes number one?

I agree on many sides. I get frustrated, too and don't understand how one can work in a service industry and not speak English.

Then on the flip side...

I fully understand my parents native tongue, as well as part of another native language and of course, English. I can hear and comprehend all 3 languages at once and know what is being discussed. I have always communicated back in English.

However, I can not put a sentance together in my native tongue at all. I wouldn't even know where to begin (sentance structure is different). Even though I've heard this language for 42 years, I can not verbally communicate in it to save my life if I needed, too.

I think the same happens to many others. Perhaps they can understand, read it, but can not verbally put it together.

As my Russian friend (who came to the U.S. with her husband who left her flat a$$ed broke on the street when he left for another woman, who then had to learn her English from Italian immigrant shop owners) once said
"This is the United States. Speak English!" LOL!

I have a funny example of "non-English" speaking immigrants. My husband is an immigrant...from England (according to him, the inventors of the language). As such, he speaks with a gorgeous "posh" English accent. However, he constantly has people who say they can't understand him and he has to repeat things. He refuses to go through drive-thru's because of this. Also, at work someone called requesting he come to their office. She could not remember his name. She asked for "the guy who speaks broken English." Needless to say, he was NOT thrilled!!

On the flip side to the coin, I spent almost six years living in Germany. I lived off of the Air Force base I was stationed at. As a courtesy to my host countrymen, I learned to speak enough German to get buy. I knew I wasn't going to live there forever, so I didn't need to learn to speak it fluently but I knew I needed to learn enough to go to the local shop! I can not tell you how embarrassing it was to go into town with other Americans who would yell "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?" at the Germans instead of saying something that simple in German. Uggghhh!!!

My point to all this rambling is - you have to learn to speak the language. If nothing else it is necessary for survival. I mean who can survive without shopping??:) Even my husband has had to learn American English words for things.

Carrie

On the flip side of the customer service .. I work in customer service in Southern Alabama .. LOL!!! we have a lot of people from Mexico working in our area .. OK . . try setting up utility service for someone who can not even speak their own address .. they dont have valid identification .. or know their phone number .. or can understand anything about how to explain where they are to recieve thier bills ..

dont even get me started on the collection end of it .. YIKES!!!

It is VERY frustrating for us . .. b/c you want to help but sometimes you cant! and I do speak some Spanish (granted w/a Southern accent .. imagine how it sounds to them.. lol) .. but some are more difficult to understand than others .. a translator explained that depending on what area some are from their dialects can be very different...and he even has trouble from time to time understanding them ..

.. and from another point of view .. on a vacation to the Keys we stopped off in Miami at McDonalds .. NO ONE spoke English .. the menu was even in Spanish .. they had laminated menus w/numbers on them .. you had to point to what you wanted .. I felt like I was in a different country .. not state!!

no flames .. but it is very frustrating .. I would like to think if I went to another country to work I would be expected to learn the basics of their language .. after all I am in their country!!! No flames please .. just my own experience .. my own opinion!!

there are always 2 sides to any issue/problem!!!:)

I agree with everyone who has said that whoever comes to this country should learn to speak English.

You know why?

Because when I lived overseas (Middle East and South America), I had to learn to speak their languages (Arabic, French, and Spanish).

So, I'm not making an unreasonable demand, here. If I managed to fluently learn three new languages in 9 years, they can learn one.

MC

<She asked for "the guy who speaks broken English." Needless to say, he was NOT thrilled!!>
There are some nice "broken English" words he called her too that I bet she probably wouldn't understand. Well, at the least provincial genius of a woman didn't say "the guy who speaks broken American."

I have not read all of the replies but I say if you live in America speak ENGLISH!!!! If I go to a foreign country I don't expect them to speak English just for me.
Tami

I am really upset that none of you speak German :p - except maybe Beavs!

Just kidding, I am an immegrant, I would have never even thought it was an option to move to another country and not speak the language.

sometimes its an issue and sometimes its not. when i can't order a simple white castle crave case box when i visit family in NJ b/c the person taking my order barely speak English that is an issue. if its somebody that really doesn't need to interact with customers(as somebody mentioned hotel workers etc) then i don't see it as an issue.

we are learning how to fix computers on our own b/c we are tired of calling customer service. the last time is caused a major meltdown to our hard drive and we had to rebuild one. we just couldn't communicate with the person on the phone.and dh can be very patience and understanding b/c both sets of our grandparents are immigrants from other countries. but there are some places were the language barrier is an issue. and i am sure its frustrating on both parts!! English is not an easy language to learn, but my understanding is that its a necessary in order to get citizenship. i MAY be wrong on that b/c i am sure that is what my grandfather told me.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

http://jtjulian2003.tripod.com

YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING,WHERE WOULD YOU PUT IT??

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/255246443.jpg

The United States has no official language.

That explains the huge sign in the social security office last year. Why does that not surprise me. Probably because it wouldn't surprise me to see what an outcry there would be among many non-English speaking groups if our government tried to make English the official language.

Statics show that by 2020, that Spanish will be the number one language spoken in the United States.

Are we will willing to learn the dominant language spoken in this country if Spanish becomes number one?

That may be true. But I don't see it happening in the year 2020, especially with the next generation being taught English in school. As for now, Spanish is not legally required to be taught in schools while English is... at least in the Commonwealth of PA. I keep hearing that Mandarin Chinese will soon be the dominate language in the business world. Based on population size, it already is the dominate language in the world. However, I'm not planning on learning it.

Wendy

Interesting topic. I agree that all should make the effort to learn English. But as others have said, this isn't always practical for some people who lack the resources, opportunity, and the ability. What about immigrants who are illiterate in their mother language, mentally challenged, too old to develop a proficiency, or just not able to learn a foreign language (and as a French teacher, I have come to the sad conclusion that some people just cannot (will not?) learn a foreign language)? For people like this, it's just not gonna happen, and I don't think these people should be punished or looked down upon because they can't do English. OTOH, they probably shouldn't be given service jobs either!

In a perfect world, English is clearly the way to go. But in reality, we should accept that not everyone permanantly living here can comply.

As I've previously stated, I think it is essential to learn the major language of the country you live in. It could be life-saving. I do understand that it may be harder for older individuals to do so but to learn some basics can only help them. I do not think that we should conform to others who are quite capable of learning the language but CHOOSE not to. I'm reiterating a lot here but I think it is vital. Outside of extenuating circumstances, if you choose to live in a country, you need to learn their language. How else does one communicate without a common language? If you're just learning, tell the person you are in the processing of learning. Most people would be happy to help that person as opposed to someone who really can't be bothered. Carry a translation dictionary.

My original post was complaining about businesses that deal with English speaking people but have employees that barely speak the language. I like to see people prosper in business but if I am getting frustrated in trying to convey what I want to them, in getting a service for my hard earned money, then of course, I must take my business where someone can communicate with me and keep my blood pressure low. :p

As Atiman stated, there is no official language of the good ol' US of A! I don't get it. Does anyone know of any other country that has no official language or that has English as one of their official languages? Can you have dual official languages?

I think Switzerland has three official languages, French, German, and Italian.

:D

ETA: a number of states have made English their official language.

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

Sparrow, goes to show you how much I know....or don't know. Individual states can have an official language? Hmmmm, I think that would be a great start but if the country isn't supporting this, there may still be lots of conflicts. HOWEVER, I commend states for doing this!

I am trying to think of one African country that has only 2 national languages, but I don't think one exists :p (I admit that I don't know if they are official or not). Egypt, I think Egypt has only one language...

Is England's official language English? Sounds like a stupid question, but you never know... ;)

Missy

:D This is such an interesting thread! As for the states, individual states have a lot more rights per the Constitution than the meddling federal nightmare government would like people to remember. OK, I am stepping away from the computer before I go off on a states' rights libertarian rant. :p

But before I do, here's what wikipedia has to say about the whole messy business :D

Official language status of the various states.

English is official languages

Alabama (1990)
Alaska (1998)[9]
Arizona (2006)
Arkansas (1987)
California (1986)
Colorado (1988)
Florida (1988)
Georgia (1986, 1996)
Idaho (2007)[10]
Illinois (1969)[11]
Indiana (1984)
Iowa (2002)[12]
Kansas (2007)
Kentucky (1984)
Louisiana (1807)
Massachusetts (1975)
Mississippi (1987)
Missouri (1998)
Montana (1995)
Nebraska (1920)
New Hampshire (1995)
New Jersey (2008)
North Carolina (1987)
North Dakota (1987)
South Carolina (1987)
South Dakota (1987)
Tennessee (1984)
Utah (2000)
Virginia (1981, 1996)
Wyoming (1996)

California has agreed to allow the publication of state documents in other languages to represent minority groups and immigrant communities. Languages such as Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Persian, Russian, Vietnamese, and Thai appear in official state documents, and the Department of Motor Vehicles publishes in 47 languages.

Several states and territories are officially or de facto bi- or trilingual:

Hawaii (English and Hawaiian) (1978)
Louisiana (English and French legally recognized, although there is no official language)
New Mexico (English and de facto Spanish)[13]
Maine (English and French both de facto)
American Samoa (Samoan and English)
Guam (Chamorro and English)
Northern Mariana Islands (English, Chamorro, and Carolinian)
Puerto Rico (Spanish and English) (1993)
The state of New York had state government documents (i.e., vital records) co-written in the Dutch language until the 1920s, in order to preserve the legacy of New Netherlands, though England annexed the colony in 1664.[14]

Native American languages are official or co-official on many of the US Indian reservations and pueblos. In Oklahoma before statehood in 1907, territory officials debated whether or not to have Cherokee, Choctaw and Muscogee languages as co-official, but the idea never gained ground.

In New Mexico, although the state constitution does not specify an official language, laws are published in English and Spanish, and government material and services are legally required (by Act) to be made accessible to speakers of both languages.

On May 19, 2006, the United States Senate voted to make English the national language of the United States. According to the bill, written by Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.), the federal government would no longer provide multilingual communications and services, except for those already guaranteed by law. Shortly after the approval of the Inhofe amendment, the Senate voted for another bill by Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Colo.), according to which English is the "common unifying language of the United States", but mandated that nothing in that declaration "shall diminish or expand any existing rights" regarding multilingual services. Neither of the bills were signed into law.

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.