Please don't get upset about my rant.

Wow, what an interesting thread. I am torn on this issue. I think it's probably in the best interest of those working in the U.S. to speak English, but I recognize this is not something people can learn overnight or anything. I also agree with those who said if you're working in a customer service position you obviously need to speak the language.

My view is also affected by the fact that I lived in the Netherlands for two years. We did take Dutch lessons before we went, but we had the advantage of lessons paid for by my husband's company since they were sending him. When we lived there, I did attempt to speak Dutch quite a bit, but the Dutch would almost always immediately respond in English, since their English was much better than my Dutch (except for one random time when I ended up in a Spanish conversation with and who I lied to and told him I was Mexican--long story). Anyway, that time in a land where, though most people actually at least spoke my language as well, day to day I walked around mainly hearing people speaking in another language I didn't know well. I also embarrassed myself a lot when I tried to speak their language--not that I was really terrible at it but I'm just shy trying something like that. I remember thinking that when I got back to the U.S. I would like to help teach English as a second language, as a volunteer and not necessarily as a job. Of course, I've been back 18 months and haven't done it yet. :( This thread is a good reminder to look into that.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=green]***Lainie***
fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif
"If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans."[/font]

>I don't mean to hi-jack the thread about this, but my ds and I
>are learning Spanish via Rosetta Stone right now. It's a lot
>of fun and feels effortless. I'm still on the first level, so
>I can't testify as to how effective it will be, but we are
>both really enjoying it.
>
>Maggie:)

I'm learning German with Rosetta Stone. Isn't that software AWESOME?!

.. and from another point of view .. on a vacation to the Keys
>we stopped off in Miami at McDonalds .. NO ONE spoke English
>.. the menu was even in Spanish .. they had laminated menus
>w/numbers on them .. you had to point to what you wanted .. I
>felt like I was in a different country .. not state!!

It's like that here in Columbus Ohio, where we have a huge population of Mexican immigrants (why people used to a warm climate would want to come to Columbus Ohio is anyone's guess) and nearly all the McDonald's here are staffed with Mexican immigrants. Back before I cleaned up my diet (;-)) I'd go through the drive-though and felt so sorry for the person handing me my order because it was always screwed up and they always had to go for help. Columbus also has the second-largest population of Somali's and most of the temporary employees where I work are Somali. The Somali's mainly keep to themselves and try hard not to assimilate. One time I was in a Subway restaurant and got into a conversation with an African-American woman who worked for the Welfare office. She went off about the Somali's and how fast they "learned to bilk the Welfare system while living 10 in an apartment and how nothing's being done to stop the fraud and everyone's getting rich... on us." Most Somali's here speak great English but an unwillingness to learn the language isn't the only thing that drives Americans crazy regarding immigrants. As for myself, nothing upsets me more than working my whole life to hand over more and more of my paycheck to pay for "services" to "care" for people who don't work, never have worked, and who never plan to ever work. I'm especially bothered when multi-generational families live off the welfare system. Rehabbing an old house in a bad neighborhood, I can tell you this was an issue long before the recent waves of immigrants, legal or not. I think there's a feeling that things were bad for a long time and nothing was being done to stop the fraud, waste, and abuse and that, adding more people "in need" of more services is bound to break an already overtaxed system, or at least the backs of those of us paying to support it. Reaction to immigrants inability (or perceived unwillingness) to learn the language is a symptom of a larger... fear. I get the frustration and even the anger. But then I think 'Isn't this how the nazi's got control of Germany? In the midst of a bad economy a "leader" appeared. And we all know what happened next.' Learn the language? Sure. But, in times like these, we all need to be careful.

>I'm an immigrant, born and raised in Hungary. I came here
>after marrying an American. I could not imagine coming here
>without speaking the language.
>I love when my son wears his "Speak English, this is America"
>shirt!
>

I need to get a shirt like this. Love it.

*♥´¨)
¸ .• ♥ ´¸.•*♥´¨) ¸.♥•*¨)
(¸.•♥´ (¸ ;.♥•Jennie•♥

Smoke free since: 2/05/08

>I think Switzerland has three official languages, French,
>German, and Italian.
>

Actually, they have four - Romansh is the fourth one.

>>I think Switzerland has three official languages, French,
>>German, and Italian.
>>
>
>Actually, they have four - Romansh is the fourth one.

Know it all. :p :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.