Please don't get mad at me!!!!

I am watching The View and Tom Cruise is on. He brought out Katie to the panel. Now, I am not a Tom Cruise fan AT ALL! There is something about him/his movies that rubs me the wrong way. I don't know much about Katie Holmes other than she is a cute girl. I thought that at first they were together as a publicity stunt, but GUYS! They looked so cute together!!!!! And they looked so happy! Am I being completely fooled and naive here?

Missy

They are actors after all. Sounds like she may be a cover for his sexuality. Not sure why he needs to hide it.

Did you see clips of him with Matt Lauer - he's wacked if you ask me.

My one vice is celebrity gossip - so much going on these days. So many young engagements, marriages, kids etc

O time to work out!

He's put me off a little by saying he thinks anyone who uses antidepressants is being irresponsible and that depressed people should take vitamins. (His Scientology beliefs) He also says there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance. People should just take vitamins.

Here check it out:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm

"XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRI JUNE 24, 2005 10:51:08 ET XXXXX

CRUISE 'WAR OF WORLDS' INTERVIEW TURNS INTO SHOWDOWN ON PSYCHIATRY, SCIENTOLOGY

NBC 'TODAY SHOW' host Matt Lauer was lectured by star Tom Cruise on the dangers of psychiatry and antidepressant during a promotional interview for WAR OF THE WORLDS.

The exchange aired Friday morning.

LAUER: TOM CRUISE CREATED A FIRESTORM WHEN HE CRITICIZED BROOKE SHIELDS FOR REVEALING THAT SHE WENT INTO THERAPY AND TOOK ANTIDEPRESSANTS TO DEAL WITH HER POST PARTUM DEPRESSION. AS A SCIENTOLGIST, HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN PSYCHIATRIC MEDICINE. I ASKED HIM ABOUT HIS COMMENTS.

CRUISE: i've never agreed with psychiatry, ever. Before I was a Scientologist I never agreed with psychiatry. and when i started studying the history of psychiatry, i understood more and more why i didn't believe in psychology.

//And as far as the Brooke Shields thing is, look. You gotta understand, I really care about Brooke Shields. I-- I think here's a-- a-- a wonderful and talented woman. And-- I wanna see her do well. And I know that-- psychiatry is-- is a pseudo science.

MATT LAUER: But-- but Tom, if she said that this particular thing helped her feel better, whether it was the antidepressant or going to a counselor or psychiatrist, isn't that enough? //

TOM CRUISE: Matt, you have to understand this. Here we are today where I talk out against drugs and psychiatric abuses of electric shocking people (PH), okay, against their will, of drugging children with them not knowing the effects of these drugs. Do you know what Aderol (PH) is? Do you know Ritalin? Do you know now that Ritalin is a street drug? Do you understand that?

MATT LAUER:

The difference is--

(OVERTALK)

TOM CRUISE:

No, no, Matt.

MATT LAUER:

This wasn't against her will, though.

TOM CRUISE:

Matt-- Matt, Matt, Matt--

MATT LAUER:

But this wasn't against her will.

TOM CRUISE:

Matt, I'm-- Matt, I'm asking you a question.

MATT LAUER:

I understand there's abuse of all of these things.

TOM CRUISE:

No, you see. Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do.//

MATT LAUER:

//aren't there examples, and might not Brooke Shields be an example, of someone who benefited from one of those drugs? TOM CRUISE:

all it does is mask the problem, Matt. And if you understand the history of it, it masks the problem. That's what it does. That's all it does. You're not getting to the reason why. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance.

(OVERTALK)

MATT LAUER:

So, postpartum depression to you is--

TOM CRUISE:

Matt--

MATT LAUER:

--kind of a--

TOM CRUISE:

--don't--

MATT LAUER:

--little psychological gook--

TOM CRUISE:

That--

MATT LAUER:

--googley-gook?

TOM CRUISE:

--no. No. I did not say that.

MATT LAUER:

I'm just asking what you-- what would you call it?

TOM CRUISE:

No. No. Abs-- Matt, that is-- the-- post-- now-- now, you're talking about two different things.

MATT LAUER:

But that's what she went on the--

TOM CRUISE:

No. MATT LAUER:

--antidepressant for.

TOM CRUISE: But what happens, the antidepressant, all it does is mask the problem. There's ways of vitamins and through exercise and various things. I'm not saying that that isn't real. That's not what I'm saying. That's an alteration of what-- what I'm saying. I'm saying that drugs aren't the answer, these drugs are very dangerous. They're mind-altering, anti-psychotic drugs. And there are ways of doing it without that so that we don't end up in a brave new world. // the thing that I'm saying about Brooke is that there's misinformation, okay. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She-- she doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt.

// MATT LAUER: But a little bit what you're saying Tom is, you say you want people to do well. But you want them do to well by taking the road that you approve of, as opposed to a road that may work for them.

TOM CRUISE: No, no, I'm not.

MATT LAUER: Well, if antidepressants work for Brooke Shields, why isn't that okay?

TOM CRUISE: I-- I disagree with it. And I think that there's a higher and better quality of life. And I think that promoting for me personally, see, you're saying what, I can't discuss what I wanna discuss?

MATT LAUER: No. You absolutely can.

TOM CRUISE: I know. But-- but Matt, you're going in and saying that-- that I can't discuss this.

MATT LAUER: I'm only asking, isn't there a possibility that-- do-- do you examine the possibility that these things do work for some people? That yes, there are abuses. And yes, maybe they've gone too far in certain areas. Maybe there are too many kids on Ritalin. Maybe electric shock--

TOM CRUISE: Too many kids on Ritalin? Matt.

MATT LAUER: I'm just saying. But-- but aren't there--

TOM CRUISE: Matt.

MATT LAUER: --examples where it works?

TOM CRUISE: Matt. Matt, Matt, you don't even-- you're glib. You don't even know what Ritalin is.// //if you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, okay. That's what I've done. Then you go and you say where's-- where's the medical test? Where's the blood test that says how much Ritalin you're supposed to get?

MATT LAUER: You're-- you're-- it's very impressive to listen to you. Because clearly, you've done the homework. And-- and you know the subject.

TOM CRUISE: And you should.

MATT LAUER: And-- and--

TOM CRUISE: And you should do that also.

MATT LAUER: And--

TOM CRUISE: Because just knowing people who are on Ritalin isn't enough. //you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing really--

MATT LAUER: I'm not prescribing Ritalin, Tom. And I'm not asking--

TOM CRUISE: Well--

MATT LAUER: --anyone else to do it. I'm simply saying--

(OVERTALK)

TOM CRUISE: Well, you are. You're saying--

MATT LAUER: I know some people who seem to have been helped by it.

TOM CRUISE: I-- but you're saying-- but you-- like-- this is a very important issue.

MATT LAUER: I couldn't agree more.

TOM CRUISE: It's very-- and you know what? You're here on the Today Show.

MATT LAUER: Right.

TOM CRUISE: And to talk about it in a way of saying, "Well, isn't it okay," and being reasonable about it when you don't know and I do, I think that you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing what it is.

MATT LAUER: But--

TOM CRUISE: Because you-- you communicate to people.

MATT LAUER: But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know, which are zero, are more important than my experiences.

TOM CRUISE: What do you mean by that?

MATT LAUER: You're telling me what's worked for people I know or hasn't worked for people I know. // i'm telling you i've lived with these people and they're better.

TOM CRUISE: So, you're-- you're advocating it.

MATT LAUER: I am not. I'm telling you in their case-- (LAUGHTER)

(OVERTALK)

MATT LAUER: In their individual case, it worked. I am not gonna go out and say--

TOM CRUISE: Matt--

MATT LAUER: --"Get your kids on Ritalin. It's the cure-all--

TOM CRUISE: Matt, Matt.

MATT LAUER: --and the end-all."

TOM CRUISE: Matt, but here's the point. what is the ideal scene for life

TOM CRUISE: Okay. Ideal scene is someone not having to take anti-psychotic drugs.

MATT LAUER: I would agree.

TOM CRUISE: Okay. So, now you look at-- and you go okay. A-- a departure from that ideal scene is someone taking drugs, okay. And then you go, okay. What is the theory and the science behind that, that justifies that?

MATT LAUER: Let me take this more general, 'cause I think you and I can go around in circles on this for awhile. And i respect your opinion ...

MATT LAUER: Do you want more people to understand Scientology? Is that-- would that be a goal of yours?

TOM CRUISE: You know what? I-- absolutely. Of course, you know. And people--

MATT LAUER: How do you go about that?

TOM CRUISE: You just communicate about it. And the important thing is, like you and I talk about it, whether it's-- okay, if I wanna know something, I go and find out. /Because I don't talk about things that I don't understand. I'll say, you know what? I'm not so sure about that. I'll go find more information about it so I can-- I can come to an opinion based on-- on the information that I have.

MATT LAUER: You-- you're so passionate about it. And I'm--

TOM CRUISE: I'm passionate about learning. I'm passionate about life, Matt.

END"

http://www.drudgereport.com/tcm.JPG

I saw parts of that interview. I used to really like Tom Cruise--I mean, the guy is smoking hot & he's a pretty decent actor, he was so cool in Risky Business, Top Gun, Coctail & the Mission Impossibles.

But now he is just one strange dude. I'm not buying the gay rumor, however I do find it a little strange he's marrying a woman who's young enough to be his daughter. What could they possibly have in common, other than Hollywood? And his constant preaching about scientology, & the NERVE of criticizing women who have post partum depression & take medication--WTH does he know about it? Reading a couple of books doesn't make anyone an expert on anything. He's just a big jerk.

Yeah this was really weird of him. Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt. That's all he really seemed to say.
Brandi

Oooooooooooo-kay. Wow.

I do agree that drugs are used WAY TOO MUCH, absolutely. That is where my agreement ends. I know people that have been helped by prescribed medicine, whether it is ADD and especially after having a baby. You are short on sleep and you your hormones rapidly plummet. Your chemistry does change, and I do believe that they have evidence on that, Mr. Cruise.

No chemical imbalances my butt. Get a uterus and then maybe you will have a clue.

Missy

That was a very strange interview. He did not make sense to me. It seems like he was having a hard time following the conversation and responding.

I am convinced that fame, throngs of screaming fans, and a limitless supply of cash turns even the nicest people into nuts.

I don't know what is going on with Tom, but he is acting like a complete idgit lately and really seems like he is about to go over the edge. I was thinking the other day, maybe he was pissed because other male stars get all the publicity, and thought it was time to do something about that.... strange!

Marie

PS: Scientology is brainwashing. ETA, Katie should run screaming in the other direction!

Tom Cruise is a little bit desperate. He should just retire with his millions and stop making movies. Or if he wants to keep making movies, for goodness sakes PR people, don't let him do any interviews! You know, one thing is not believing in drugs, but to bash every single person that has seen the benefits from antidepressants is just wrong. There are ways to state your opinion, lifestyle, and choices without disrespecting someone else's. And that is what he did when he bashed psychiatry (and Brooke Shields). I'm starting to think he needs a psychiatrist himself. His behavior is definitely not normal. He bashes psychiatry but not dermatology, dentists, or plastic surgery. I remember when he wore braces in his early 40s "due to a dental problem" and it was to straighten his front teeth which you can see were not straight in his first movies. He also has no gray hairs either, (how about the chemicals in hair dye?), etc. LOL I could go on and on. It seems to me that medicine and science is great when it makes him look younger, but it is wrong if it makes someone regain control of their mental health.

Yeah....I'd say Tom Cruise is losing it....from the way he's been acting he can't honestly say he's not on some kind of drug himself!!

NY Times: Brooke Shield's response to Tom

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/o...20881600&en=ef6934e33b1e8c0e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

"Op-Ed Contributor
War of Words
By BROOKE SHIELDS
Published: July 1, 2005

London

I WAS hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

Forum: Op-Ed Contributors
Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal shifts that occur after childbirth. During pregnancy, a woman's level of estrogen and progesterone greatly increases; then, in the first 24 hours after childbirth, the amount of these hormones rapidly drops to normal, nonpregnant levels. This change in hormone levels can lead to reactions that range from restlessness and irritability to feelings of sadness and hopelessness.

I never thought I would have postpartum depression. After two years of trying to conceive and several attempts at in vitro fertilization, I thought I would be overjoyed when my daughter, Rowan Francis, was born in the spring of 2003. But instead I felt completely overwhelmed. This baby was a stranger to me. I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't feel at all joyful. I attributed feelings of doom to simple fatigue and figured that they would eventually go away. But they didn't; in fact, they got worse.

I couldn't bear the sound of Rowan crying, and I dreaded the moments my husband would bring her to me. I wanted her to disappear. I wanted to disappear. At my lowest points, I thought of swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window of my apartment.

I couldn't believe it when my doctor told me that I was suffering from postpartum depression and gave me a prescription for the antidepressant Paxil. I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs. In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me - and my family.

Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times.

And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression. After all, during the first three months after childbirth, you see a pediatrician at least three times. While pediatricians are trained to take care of children, it would make sense for them to talk with new mothers, ask questions and inform them of the symptoms and treatment should they show signs of postpartum depression.

In a strange way, it was comforting to me when my obstetrician told me that my feelings of extreme despair and my suicidal thoughts were directly tied to a biochemical shift in my body. Once we admit that postpartum is a serious medical condition, then the treatment becomes more available and socially acceptable. With a doctor's care, I have since tapered off the medication, but without it, I wouldn't have become the loving parent I am today.

So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real.

Brooke Shields, the author of "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," is starring in the musical "Chicago" in London.
"

I am glad to see these negative and doubting opinions on a man whom I have long thought of as a successful movie star but pathetic excuse for an actor.

He deserves all the bad publicity he gets for speaking out in so public and damning a fashion, with uninformed and biased opinions on treatment for a disease he has never had the misfortune to suffer.

What a miserable creep.

Clare

RE: NY Times: Brooke Shield's response to Tom

If anything, Brooke should be commended for her vulnerability and openess in an attempt to help otherrs rather than bashed. I don't know if I could ever admit to some of the things that she did.

My husband showed me the op-ed piece this morning. Crusie, like many over-payed stars has started to take himself too seriously and he thinks he knows more than he does. He's an ass and he should be ashamed of himself! I'm not sure I even want to see War of the Worlds and if I do, I do it for Steven! :) Sometimes these movie stars and pop culture icons make me want to vomit! x(

P.S. Missy, you can think they are cute and we won't get mad at you! I was just starting to like Cruise. I liked him in Collateral and that Samurai film but he's a jerk over this Brooke Shield's thing but that doesn't mean he and Katie can't make a cute couple. :) She may be too mature for him though! ;)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

It is so sad what Hollywood can do. Can you think of anyone who has stayed "real"? Russell Crowe has always been a jerk, so we can't blame it on Hollywood, but at least he hasn't changed. I have always liked Reese Witherspoon. She is so cute! She is also very private. I also really like Tom Hanks.

I really can't imagine how I would be if people were chasing me with cameras everywhere I went or if I was on the cover of magazines. You have your manager, your pr people, everyone telling you how wonderful, how hot, how lovely you are. I imagine it would get to your head after a while. I am happy that I am not famous and will never have to find out.

wow, I think this is the most random post I have ever written.

Bobbi, I just think that Katie is so adorable! She seems so sweet and laid-back. I just want to squish her cheeks!!!! I really hope that if it is real and that they are happy together. I wouldn't want anyone to be miserable, no matter how ignorantly arrogant they are. Unless they drive with talking on the cell phone. That really ticks me off.

Missy

I LOVE you guys. This discussion has warmed my heart. I'm so glad to know others share my take on TC's recent bizarre behavior and ridiculous opinions

Davida

My husband have a thing we do, declaring "never let them talk" because so many times you think you like one of them and they turn out to be total boobs. I still like Tom Hanks and I love William Macy and Jaimie Fox, who aren't mega stars. I agree about Crowe. I have a tendancy to quit watching their films or to never see one when I don't like them as people. My husband is very excited about War of the Worlds. We'd better see it before Tom speaks out again. :) I'll get dinner at my favorite Mexican sea food place too!

I recently saw three women in a row make left hand turns as they spoke on the phone. I know a young girl was looking down at hers while she turned. And many of these people don't drive well to begin with, lol! I don't have a cell phone but we are getting them for our teens, so we can always stay in touch. I don't even like it when my husband changes a CD while driving so phone driving is a big no no to me. I keep both hands on the wheel as much as possible. I hate it when people chat away when they are checking out in the grocery store too. I have seen some who never acknowledge the clerks at all and it's so rude.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

I'm with Davida - it reassures me of the intelligence of the female species to see all of you feeling the same way as I do about that guy. I have had postpartum depression, and I now take Zoloft for depression and anxiety, including anxiety attacks that would hit me like a freight train and paralyze me. (And it happened in public a few times -not fun :-( ). The nerve of that moron saying "there are no chemical imbalances" and implying that psychiatrists are hucksters and people who take these kinds of medications are weak people who don't know any better.....ARRRRGHHH!! He reinforces every negative and incorrect myth there is about mental health issues. I would love to inflict one of my more intense panic attacks I used to have on him and see what he says then, sweating and hyperventilating, trying not to throw up. }(

I wonder what Freud would make of US, giving precious ink and interview time to listen to an undereducated walking surfboard expatiating on a subject about which he knows precisely nothing.

I missed out on the whole Tom-Cruise-On-Psychiatry mishegoss; I've had enough exercise dodging all of the Tom-And-Katie headlines. I didn't even know until this thread that he'd ripped on Brooke Shields for her experiences with PPD. Maybe as his next crusade he'll start ripping on Peter Dinklage for being short.

Give me Nicole Kidman any day.

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.