Phobias anyone?

I just despise what we call in Calif "Potato Bugs"...They look kinda like an ant on steroids and I immediately squish them when I see them...YUK!!!!!! A friend I work with said she stepped on one barefoot once and I about threw up.....x(

I hate flying. It hasn't stopped me from getting on a plane when I have to, but ever since I've had my kids I've developed a fear of flying.

I also hate going to the doctors, and I'm a nurse! I guess it's because I know too much.

Having my blood pressure taken - I have "white coat hypertension" where just being in the doctor's office makes my bp and pulse shoot up to the stratosphere. It began when I was a teenager and was very nervous about being at the doctor's office for a physical and pelvic exam, they then became alarmed at my bp and I was told to come back for a repeat reading and I went home and researched the whole thing and became convinced that I was about to die of a heart attack. Since then doctor's office = panic for me. I take my bp at home and it's fine and I have a very understanding doc. But for those of you who are able to stroll into a doctor's office, sit calmly, and be told "120/70, PERFECT", I envy you so much! The worst part about it is, like with any phobia, my sensible logical brain cannot talk my panicked body out of its over-reaction.

I hate being in elevators with alot of people, I hate being that close, elbow to elbow with perfect strangers.

I am also terrified of snakes. I used to have nightmares about them when I was little and was chased by someone carrying a snake at a party or something a long time ago. :eek:

Mine is agoraphobia, more of an anxiety disorder with a number of phobias included with in.

This is from the mayo clinic website:

Agoraphobia is a type of anxiety disorder related to fear. With agoraphobia, you fear being in places where it may be difficult or embarrassing to get out quickly or where you may have a panic attack and can't get help. Because of your fears, you avoid places where you think you may have a panic attack or panic-like symptoms.

In my twenties this was a huge problem.There were many times that I couldn't leave my apartment. Now that I am in my forties I find there are things I still can't do, but not at all like it use to be.

I have done a lot different things to overcome this but most of the time I just give in to a great quote from Susan Jeffers, "Feel the fear and do it anyway". Or my other fav from unknown source, " No one has died from embarrassment". I do carry anxiety meds with me. I don't take them too much anymore, but I know they are there if I need them. Not healthy, but for me just the way it is.

I think many people would be surprised that this is something that I struggle with. I work in an environment where my living is made from speaking in front of groups of peeps.( I do beleive public speaking is one of the highest phobias that people suffer from).

Oh well, there are worse things!

Kara
;-)

>Hi Amy! I knew about your elevator problem. Don't you think
>it's because of that terrifying scene from Willy Wonka and the
>Chocolate factory (or is it Charlie and the Chocolate
>factory?)?

yes it probably does come from Willy Wonka. And also the funky elevator I had to use in college when I lived in one of the "tower" dorms. That thing was scary!

>I guess I should say that I have a phobia about passing out
>too. It's all tied up in the blood drawing thing for me.

I agree that it's really about how drawing blood may cause you to pass out. I have a tiny bit of fear about this too. But like I said, for some reason I'm no longer terrified about fainting. I always seem to wake up!

Teresa- I have the same issue with escalators! My friends and family make such fun of me. I will stand with my foot over that first step and try 3-4 times before I will step on.

If I'm at the airport, I have to have my wheelaboard in my left hand or I can't even try. I have to have my right hand free to hold the rail.

I travel regularly for work and one month I was at the airport every week. By the end of the month, I could barely stand to even look at an escalator - I was so worn out from them!

I also have a fear of fish in fish tanks - like at an aquarium. SCARY!

Oh, Cindi, I know EXACTLY what you mean!! So nice to know there is someone else out there who feels this way!!!!:)

I don't/won't fly, my feet stay permanently on the ground, where I am in control! I have never been on a cruise for the same reason.

Not keen on snakes (but don't think its a phobia)

Germs, I run around with the disinfectant. They laugh at me at work, disinfecting the phones, however, its water off a ducks back (mind you its funny how many others are pleased that I do this! LOL) But I am the usually the only one (strong/brave/ whatever)running around disinfecting :p (to my collegues)

I hate hate hate going near ANYONE who has recently had gastro or a stomach bug! I am not at all fond of vomiting (again this can set me off with my disinfectant) I can have anxiety attacks for fear of a gastro attack!

Andrea

My biggest fear is that I'll be stuck somewhere, like traffic or a meeting, and have to go to the bathroom really badly, but can't. I have nightmares about this - like I'm walking through a city, going from building to building looking for a restroom, but they are all filthy, taken, or otherwise unusable. I am sure this stems from having a bladder condition I had where I would have a sudden urgent need to go many times throughout the day. The day my DH and I moved from Florida to Atlanta, I had to stop 13 times on the way. I've since had surgery that corrected the problem, but I still get very anxious about it.

Oh, yeah, that would be wasps for me too. The car incident happened with me a few years ago,too, but with an infant in the back seat, as well, so I HAD to stay calm. Not easy!!!!

>My biggest fear is that I'll be stuck somewhere, like traffic
>or a meeting, and have to go to the bathroom really badly, but
>can't. I have nightmares about this - like I'm walking
>through a city, going from building to building looking for a
>restroom, but they are all filthy, taken, or otherwise
>unusable. I am sure this stems from having a bladder
>condition I had where I would have a sudden urgent need to go
>many times throughout the day. The day my DH and I moved from
>Florida to Atlanta, I had to stop 13 times on the way. I've
>since had surgery that corrected the problem, but I still get
>very anxious about it.

Lol Tess! I have dreams like that all the time where I just cannot find a bathroom! Problem is I usually have those dreams because I do have to go the bathroom! Don't want to think what would happen if I actually found one in my dream!!! :eek:

>Don't want to
>think what would happen if I actually found one in my dream!!!
>:eek:

LOL! I know what you mean. I've had these dreams because I actually have to go and when I do get up to go I'm so relieved that I didn't actually dream a usable toilet. In my dreams, the bathrooms are gross, the toilets are broken, and usually they are in some public place with no privacy. Truly scary nightmares!!!!

>I do not like anyone laying on top of me. My hubby every now
>and then when we are wrestling around will lay on me and hold
>me down and I can not stand it I feel trapped like I can not
>breathe.
>beth6395
>
>"You didn't pause your dvd and go make popcorn did ya"
>-Cathe Friedrich
>
>http://www.picturetrail.com/juicyfruities2002

Beth that sounds like common sense to me!! I have something similar in that I can't stand anything over me and close to me. The thought of hiding under a bed terrifies me! Luckily there is little call for this in my life. :D

I also can't stand being upside down. Ever ever ever.

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

I have read through all of these looking for someone who shares my fear and didn't find anyone! :( I guess I will be the first to share... I am a total arachnophobic. I freak out whenever I see anything hairy and 8-legged - I mean TOTALLY freak out! Charlotte's Webb didn't appeal to me at all, when all those tiny spiders came out of the egg and started blowing away I totally panicked and couldn't enjoy any breeze for MONTHS. I scream every time I see one. Every time. It is completely irrational! I like snakes, flying in planes, bugs... I honestly am really calm and am not afraid of much at all - I would sky dive or bungee jump off of a bridge but there is nothing that you can do to get me to sit still with a spider twenty feet from me. Whenever I see one I call the dogs in and they "play" with it... after I scream, that is. :+

Missy

Missy, I totally agree with you on the spiders! Even typing the word gives me the willies!

I also have a fear of clowns. There was a movie I watched long ago about a mad clown who went on a killing spree. Does anyone know the name of that movie? I avoid them at all cost at the circus!

>Missy, I totally agree with you on the spiders! Even typing
>the word gives me the willies!
>
>I also have a fear of clowns. There was a movie I watched
>long ago about a mad clown who went on a killing spree. Does
>anyone know the name of that movie? I avoid them at all cost
>at the circus!
>
>

Was it Stephen King's "It"? I never looked at clowns the same again after that movie...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.